I only use my smart phone & not a gps device

DOBBY8

1 hour ago, DOBBY8 said:

I only use my smart phone & this app. I hide caches & a lot of times my exact location is off a bit for those with GPS whenever they are searching for it. I don't plan on buying a GPS device. I always leave good hints for example it is in the guardrail. Any suggestions?

How many feet is a "bit" ?  :)     20 feet, 40 feet, more ?

Civilian GPS "accuracy" is still roughly 10'.  That hasn't changed since '01.  That 10 feet is you and the finder, so maybe 20' could be "normal".

Similar to Goldenwattle, if numerous people are saying "went by so n so's posted coordinates", I'd use them.   ;)

Whether we use a phone or GPSr, we go back to GZ a few times just to see how "off" we are.  Most times we're good...

There are GPS apps which allow you to take averaged coordinate readings similar to what a GPS receiver would do. You could look into using one of those to get your coordinates. Best practice no matter what device is to put it where you are hiding the cache and let it sit there for a minute or two so that the position settles and stabilizes.

Yes remember there's accuracy for the device which is only so far, and there's precision of the coordinates which is that 3 decimal standard for geocaching. Old smartphones may have a bit of an issue, but newer phones shouldn't have nay problem. And if they do it's likely any device will. Sometimes you might find a spot that everyone seems to report "bouncing" gps. If there's nothing you can do to get a more accurate coordinate, you can counter it by providing a more descriptive hint and description.

I hate when people log that their gps reading was different and assume that theirs is correct, after loads of finds without problems or even 'spot on' gps comments.

Or, when a cache has numerous comments about the coordinates being off, but the CO assuming everyone is wrong and not adjusting their listing. :) 

All you can do as a CO is do your best to provide as accurate coordinates as you're able. If you're not confidently certain then just get a friend or few to help.