Should we assist with remote cache maintenance or not.

Desertal

1 hour ago, hzoi said:

I'm sure it would be much easier on a cache owner if others could take care of all their cache maintenance responsibilities, but that's not really the point.

Not for me. I got into caching to give me an extra incentive to get outdoors and keep active and, over the years, checking on my own caches has become an increasingly bigger part of that as my number of hides has grown and the number of unfound caches in my region has fallen. During the 107-day COVID lockdown just recently here, one of the few things I was able to do to get out of the house and into the fresh air and sunshine was making routine visits to my caches. The last thing I want is to be sitting at home while someone else has all the fun of maintaining my caches.

• Helpful 4
On 9/23/2021 at 12:32 AM, colleda said:

Have you ever placed a cache in a remote area and then relied on someone else to maintain it?

Or, would you not place a cache in a remote area because you could not maintain it?

Remoteness, to me, makes no difference to maintenance responsibility..

Have enjoyed many remote caches with excellent historic, interesting  and scenic views.  It is obvious that maintenance will take great sacrifice and effort but so grateful that it has brought us to a special place we would not have known about otherwise. I definitely help with maintenance in htese situations.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:32 AM, colleda said:

Have you ever placed a cache in a remote area and then relied on someone else to maintain it?

Or, would you not place a cache in a remote area because you could not maintain it?

Remoteness, to me, makes no difference to maintenance responsibility..

• Funny 1

We don't replace caches we haven't found.... unless of course the CO asked us to specifically do so before we went....

We will, if possible, replace a broken container, maybe add some log paper, but wouldn't if it was clear the CO had never bothered to visit and do it, or we knew it was a zombie cache - I'm happy to not keep moribund caches on life support - let nature take its course, and maybe a new player will place a better one there for another visit.....

On 11/5/2021 at 7:52 AM, barefootjeff said:

During the 107-day COVID lockdown just recently here, one of the few things I was able to do to get out of the house and into the fresh air and sunshine was making routine visits to my caches.

Yep - our caches in our LGA were among the best maintained around during the lockdown, present company excluded of course.... :)

• Funny 1

Replacing an entire container and contents is a throwdown. That said, I have performed some pretty extensive maintenance on worthy existing caches. There was one from 2007 in a scenic, remote location that was simply the empty camoed container, no lid or contents. Multiple players had claimed a find on the empty bottle. I happened to have a spare lid in my cache bag that fit it perfectly. I replaced the log and added a bit of swag. The difference as I see it, is the container was still there and it wasn't a complete replacement for a missing cache. GC11W50

Many players are against doing maintenance of any kind on someone else's cache. I don't see a problem with it and I help if I can. But throwdowns are a no no. Thats a DNF.

Edited by G0ldNugget
  • Upvote 2