How/Possible to activate archived cache.

Desertal

This is more a question than a new topic. Got official message to archive cache due to a DNF or two. So felt pressured to archive. Got a request from cacher he had found and would like to get his well deserved  Smiley Find! On eventually making time to do the maintenance found all in order and original container snuggly in position.!?

Is it possible to activate again?  

1 hour ago, Desertal said:

This is more a question than a new topic. Got official message to archive cache due to a DNF or two. So felt pressured to archive. Got a request from cacher he had found and would like to get his well deserved  Smiley Find! On eventually making time to do the maintenance found all in order and original container snuggly in position.!?

Is it possible to activate again?  

Maybe. Maybe not. You can give it a try, but you may need to post a new listing.

From the Help Center article Archive or unarchive a geocache:

Archiving a geocache is meant to be a permanent action. Only community volunteer reviewers and Geocaching HQ can unarchive caches. This is done only in rare circumstances and only if the cache meets the current geocaching guidelines.

If a cache is archived by a reviewer or staff for lack of maintenance, it will not be unarchived.

Caches will not be unarchived for the purposes of adoption.

If you accidentally archive your cache, contact the reviewer who originally published your cache page or another local reviewer. Make sure to explain why your cache should be unarchived. Provide the GC code.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Desertal said:

Got official message to archive cache due to a DNF or two

After more DNFs than 1 or 2, I'd expect either a disable by reviewer, likely with request to check and enable within a certain period, or at least respond on the cache page of future intent to fix,  or a Heath Score email.  LINKY

Or if you a disabled it, then after some months, the reviewer note reminding you to please fix. 

If you disabled to archive, it may be possible to unarchive, by asking an active reviewer in the area.  LINKY  

Covid has altered expectations about how long it can take to get to a cache.  Might be okay for unarchive, if even if it's been a while.

Looking at  your more recently archived hides, looks like you made the right choice, can't get back, may be missing -> archive. 

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 2

If it was very long ago, most likely not.  I do not unarchive caches that were archived more than a few months ago.  I never do if the owner does not go out and check on it and someone else replaced it, or finds it, except in very rare circumstances. 

It is the cache owners responsibility to make sure it is there.  You may have had it disabled for some time, or archived it after a reviewer noted there may be an issue.  Yet problems are yours to see it taken care of or send someone to take care of.  If they were archived for maintenance issues by the reviewer or yourself, it is rare it will be unarchived without a visit by you to the location. (in my book)

Every cache is different, every situation.  So this is more of a general rule. 

• Helpful 2
On 9/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, Lynx Humble said:

Even if the cache is archived you can still make a Found it except for the rare case it's also locked. You just need to find the cache listing by browsing the CO profile or by using GCcode

thanks will give it a go

On 9/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, Isonzo Karst said:

You're describing placing a throwdown. My signature line is my response ;-)   IF you're heading to a remote location, you could look at the caches before leaving.  Then, reach out to any cache owners about possibly replacing a missing cache, only after a thorough search of course.

I probably wouldn't do that either, unless the c ache owner was known to me personally. And, if I did replace, I wouldn't log a find on it.

On 9/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, Lynx Humble said:

Even if the cache is archived you can still make a Found it except for the rare case it's also locked. You just need to find the cache listing by browsing the CO profile or by using GCcode