Monterey Bay - The Other Bay Area

Dale_Lynn

Thought I would start a message thread about the "other" bay area. So how many live or work down here and think this is a unique sport and may need more caches or what ever down here. Personally have only found 11 of the great many caches near my home, that means I have lots more to find. And there are lots more places to stash a cache. Be sure to visit my virtual - GCBFD7 - when in the area.

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

[This message was edited by Dale_Lynn on March 02, 2003 at 08:44 PM.]

icon_cool.gif

Look for a article in the "Californian" this thursday in the pull out section..

It was going to come out last week but I was told that they are using it for the front cover of the pull out section.

I had a wonderful time talking to the reporter and the Photographer went geocaching with us to do Veteran's Cache.. It was really fun..

As for Monterey there are Lot's of caches here! , But there is always room for more!

Just a Short Walk icon_razz.gif

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Just a Short walk" Says....

If You plant a cache they will come.....

quote:
Originally posted by Just a Short Walk:

icon_cool.gif

Look for a article in the "Californian" this thursday in the pull out section..

Darn it Don, I missed it too. I couldn't find it in the Californian's online archives. Any way you can post a copy?

-Susie

----------------------

The shore is an ancient world, for as long as there has been an earth and sea, there has been this place of the meeting of land and water. -Rachel Carson

Monterey vacation

Hello - we're planning to be in Monterey for a little Spring vacation - from April 13-15. Could anyone suggest some must-do caches? We'll have to mix caching in with the Aquarium and beach time, and eating; in other words, it won't be the focus of our stay, but a pleasant diversion. So any caches that are not too time-intensive (the 10-year-old won't want to be away from the water long) or are in particularily picturesque settings (have Nikon, will travel) would be great. Thanks! And see you in 10 days!

Question for the new millenium: "What if the Hokey Pokey IS really what it's all about?"

The article in the Californian was great. I've been using my GPS just for fun for over two years and this adds a whole new layer to it. So I finally got around to doing geocaching because of the article! I'm sure there are others like me. So good job JASW!

I'm still a little bad at finding caches; I just need to poke around some more to get used to where they are hidden. I'm having a good time looking, though!

BTW if anyone's looking for a geocaching partner, just email me and let me know cuz, well, my friends think it's nerdy =) And it's more fun sometimes exploring with someone else.

[This message was edited by kaottic97 on April 26, 2003 at 12:13 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Dagwood&Blondie:

Did anyone catch the Geocaching article in the Monterey Herald last week? It was a wire story from the Philidelphia Inquirer, but none the less it was in the Herald. If anyone wants to see it, I'd be more than happy to email it to you.

Still in the Geocaching Closet.

Please do, btw, saw you found Toro Cache. This was our first and a rather comical tale (I can look back and laugh now) of learning how to find a point the smart way, rather than over ridges and through gullies. icon_wink.gif

The Central Coast Geocachers of California are having a picnic event cache on Saturday, June 21st, in Monterey. Details on the cache page below. Planned events within the picnic include: Kid-mini-cache hunt, a local expedition for newbies, a small trash-out event, and a Tall Tales of Caching Contest. Stop by whenever, 4 PM to sunset. RSVP info and more details on the cache event page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=70534

Hope to see you there.

== Alt Dot Air ==

I'll be there in late July. Got a condo in Pacific Grove that I go to every year. Just started cachin in March.

Are there any must see caches that anyone would like to suggest? If there's not a virt at the LC already, I'll place one.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Please, no more virtuals here icon_wink.gif We're cached in enough.

If you're going to be here for at least a week, try to make it down Big Sur. There's some mighty fine caches down the coast, too many to mention specifically, but you can either do drive-and-short walk caches or drive-and-hike or both on one of the most spectacular stretches of highway on the planet.

This is what I'd recommend as caches from Moss Landing south for a visitor...

- Ladybug Lookout and Bohemian Rhapsody (Iron Chef). Unfortunately you won't get the wildflowers in July, but for an afternoon loop on the coastal range quite close to Monterey, as good as it gets. One of them is a very neat hide problem, all sorts of cool microclimates, some challenging hiking, great views (do it Ladybug Lookout first to maximize these), everything caching should be.

- if you want to do another day of hiking, I suggest doing a grand tour of the Fort Ord caches. There are three distinct areas -- main base, East Garrison, and Toro Park sides. Quality of the hides varies, but you can experience the weirdness of the abandoned base alongside some surprisingly unspoiled native chapparal (there's five distinct habitats/climates within the Fort). My personal favorites in this area: Equine Shrine, The Funny Tree, X Marks the Spot (a GREAT puzzle cache, start working on it now). Moose View is also fun but in an off-the-beaten track corner.

- Treasure Island (Aquadyne). In Monterey near the state beach, this one's a lot of fun, see cache page as to why.

- Virtually all of Just a Short Walk's caches are worth the trip, but in the peninsula proper, there are some devious micros. I liked Just Waves and Change, Stupid Cache multi (anything but!), and Walk the Plank!, all of which will take you through some 'touristy' areas but might show you a thing or two you would otherwise miss.

- Jack's Cache Revisited (another JaSW-maintained) is one of the most challenging caches we've ever done...maybe it was the circumstances, but it was a great location, a head poseur, a hard find, and required some physical effort in a precarious spot. Start from Carmel Beach, you may run into a famous person along the way.

I'd mention a couple of our caches but I think that would be inappropriate icon_rolleyes.gif I would be interested to see what the other locals' "can't miss" list might include, though.

== Alt Dot Air ==

quote:
Originally posted by AltDotAir:

I'd mention a couple of our caches but I think that would be inappropriate icon_rolleyes.gif I would be interested to see what the other locals' "can't miss" list might include, though.

== Alt Dot Air ==

Thanks! If you have some fun or cool caches. Please, toot your own horn. I will be hitting Big Sur too, but only enough time for a few quick ones there. Any must see caches on the PCH headed South?

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Just did AltDotAir's America Off-Line cache which may be the most devious hide on the peninsula!

If you're into great views, and if the weather is clear, you will want to try Pez•Cache. It's a relatively easy find with an outstanding view. It's in an area that most our-of-towners wouldn't stumble on. While you're doing Pez, you'll want to look into Cache De Canyon which is nearby and has great views out the other way.

Just started Geocaching and I must say thanks. This has given me something todo with my son outdoors as well as start exercising again! If there are any clubs in this area can you email me information on how to join? Thanks a lot and hope to grab my first cache Saturday.

Sam

--

"Geocaching is great! Have something to do with my son and get out an exercise"

quote:
Originally posted by Green Gables:

Just did AltDotAir's America Off-Line cache which may be the most devious hide on the peninsula!

If you're into great views, and if the weather is clear, you will want to try Pez•Cache. It's a relatively easy find with an outstanding view. It's in an area that most our-of-towners wouldn't stumble on. While you're doing Pez, you'll want to look into Cache De Canyon which is nearby and has great views out the other way.

Thank You soooo much. That's what I was looking for. If I get approval and if you go up to Mammoth; there will be at least a half dozen caches there in areas that only a local would know much about. 5 Star terrain and awesome views.