Is it possible for trackable mileage start at origin?

csgiord

I am fairly new to geocaching , but am enjoying the hobby.  I live in CT and dropped my first trackable while on vacation in NY.  It was picked up and mileage is tracking from the drop-off cache.  Was there any way I could have had the "trip" from CT to NY (about 24 miles) also showing on the map?  

Do all trackables need to start from a cache location?  Just wondering...Would love to be able to track mileage from my home.

Thanks for any help!

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, csgiord said:

I am fairly new to geocaching , but am enjoying the hobby.  I live in CT and dropped my first trackable while on vacation in NY.  It was picked up and mileage is tracking from the drop-off cache.  Was there any way I could have had the "trip" from CT to NY (about 24 miles) also showing on the map?  

Do all trackables need to start from a cache location?  Just wondering...Would love to be able to track mileage from my home.

Thanks for any help!

The system calculates distance from cache locations.  I log a "Visit" of my new TBs at a local cache before sending them out, when I remember to do so. :cute:

In your situation, it might be good to just mentally add "24 miles" to the acquired distance.  Over time, the mileage of these things tends to become a little crazy anyway.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
1 hour ago, csgiord said:

I live in CT and dropped my first trackable while on vacation in NY.  It was picked up and mileage is tracking from the drop-off cache. 

Was there any way I could have had the "trip" from CT to NY (about 24 miles) also showing on the map?  

Thanks for any help!

You could have started your trackable at the closest cache to home, then dropped it off in another state.

Some newer members start their first cache somewhere on their property. Strangers knowing where you live okay with them I guess ...

I don't head to those, but it could have been your trackable's starting point.   :)

• Helpful 1
4 hours ago, csgiord said:

Thanks for the prompt replies.  There is a cache very close to my home that I've already logged.  Is it ok to "visit" a cache when you have already signed and logged the find or does it have to be a new find/log? 

You may edit a previous log, but to do a Visit, the Trackable must be in your Inventory, not in a cache.  

But yes, that’s a way to start mileage on a new TB before releasing it.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

If the trackable is already on its way and logging miles, it would mess up the history to log it into a nearby cache now. If it's in the hands of another cacher, you'd virtually be taking it from them and logging it into the CT cache now rather than X days ago. And then it'd either show as being in that cache or in your hands, rather than in the hands of who physically has it.

If it's in another cache right now, a similar problem arises. It would no longer show up in the inventory of that cache, but the logs would make it look like you took it from that cache and brought it to CT again.

Does that make sense?

Basically, it's too late for this trackable. If you decide to release others, you can post a note on the nearby cache and "visit" the TB to the cache, then drop it into a cache elsewhere. That will start its journey at the close-to-home cache while not messing anything up. :)

Edited by TriciaG
  • Helpful 1
On 9/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, TriciaG said:

If the trackable is already on its way and logging miles, it would mess up the history to log it into a nearby cache now. If it's in the hands of another cacher, you'd virtually be taking it from them and logging it into the CT cache now rather than X days ago. And then it'd either show as being in that cache or in your hands, rather than in the hands of who physically has it.

If it's in another cache right now, a similar problem arises. It would no longer show up in the inventory of that cache, but the logs would make it look like you took it from that cache and brought it to CT again.

Does that make sense?

Basically, it's too late for this trackable. If you decide to release others, you can post a note on the nearby cache and "visit" the TB to the cache, then drop it into a cache elsewhere. That will start its journey at the close-to-home cache while not messing anything up. :)

No, it is not too late.  I've done what csgiord was describing. Many times.  It's just a matter of waiting until the trackable is placed into a geocache.
Go onto your trackable page and write a grab log. (remember what geocache the trackable was in. you will need that later to drop the trackable back into the geocache)
Then delete the grab log.
Now go to the page for the geocache near you that you want to "start off" your trackable.
Write a note log and back date the log to a date prior to the first movement of the trackable and visit the trackable to the geocache.
Go back to the geocache page that the trackable is really in (the geocache that you grabbed it from)
Write a note log on the geocache page and drop your trackable back into that geocache.
You can then delete your note from the geocache page and delete the drop log from your trackable page.
Just watch the dates for the logs.  After backdating a log, the next log you write might not reset to a current date.

This all works best using the web pages and not the app.

Edited by Great Scott!
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1