A Quote from the past

ScroogieII

Following is a quote I took from a thread in this section of the forum. It was posted in reply to one or more folks who felt that they had been mistreated by certain officers in certain categories. The passage was written by a non English speaker who has achieved a quite respectable command of the English language.

The passage quite accurately reflects my view on the subject which it addresses. Though I'm quite sure that many of you may well have read the passage previously, and the thread in which it is contained, I felt it incumbent upon me that it be reiterated here for its importance to the health of the Waymarking community at large.

It is presented below, unedited and uncredited, that you may read, and learn from, it.

"There are people, who say that, or something similar, if the officers follow the rules (in their opinion) too strict, and there are also people who complain about other officers if they "approve everything". We all have had such decisions on one or more of our own waymarks. I myself have a different view since I started to be an officer in a few categories. One thing is for sure: I had to decline several waymarks already and never did I "like to make things hard to everybody" and I doubt that there are such officers who do. There may be some that are very strict and others who are more flexible. But as a waymark owner no one should believe that a decline is a personal vendeta or that an entire category is full of strict officers. Just go back one step and try to think about it objectively."

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Love 4

I was taught to review by the late, great, BruceS.  I was taught to look objectively at the submitted waymark and compare it to the standards set by category description - no more; no less.  Funny thing- if one READS the category description either before or during their write-up just to make sure they haven't missed anything, they will get an approval from me.  There isn't malace or favoritism - just a desire to see quality waymarks.

Just a secret - I go over the category description before I do an approval session for that category just to make sure that I have the requirements fresh in my mind.  I do this each and every time.  That's probably why I'm the "strict" approver, but I can also back up WHY I sent the denial.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
21 hours ago, iconions said:

Just a secret - I go over the category description before I do an approval session for that category just to make sure that I have the requirements fresh in my mind.  I do this each and every time.  That's probably why I'm the "strict" approver, but I can also back up WHY I sent the denial.

Well, Tom, you're certainly more dedicated than myself in rereading a category description at the beginning of each session. I simply can't make myself go to that length. However, my memory is sufficiently spotty that I do find myself referring to the requirements often, especially when presented with Waymarks which don't seem to quite match the requirements as I remember them.

As for a desire to see quality Waymarks, I'm afraid that if I adhered to such a regimen I would be declining about 90% of the submissions that come my way. They may well meet the requirements as stated, but precious few could be considered Quality Waymarks.

Keith

15 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Well, Tom, you're certainly more dedicated than myself in rereading a category description at the beginning of each session. I simply can't make myself go to that length. However, my memory is sufficiently spotty that I do find myself referring to the requirements often, especially when presented with Waymarks which don't seem to quite match the requirements as I remember them.

As for a desire to see quality Waymarks, I'm afraid that if I adhered to such a regimen I would be declining about 90% of the submissions that come my way. They may well meet the requirements as stated, but precious few could be considered Quality Waymarks.

Keith

That's probably why I tend to deny more than most and am considered a strict reviewer.  Well played on the last statement, though....