Frustrated with first multi-cache. What to do when stumped?

pekafig
Followers 1

I'm new to the hobby. Been out and found a few caches and just tried my first multi-cache. Seemed to start OK, then hit a brick wall. This is for:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC18AV5

I navigated to the second set of coordinates ok, but it the "monument" had 8 dates on it and the clue was not clear. To get to waypoint 3, there's an "x" in the calculation but no instructions about what this means.

Lots of others have figured it out. Am I just too stupid for this or is there something I don't understand about the geocaching lexicon? What can I do when I get stuck like this?

Thanks for any tips.

Discussion about solving a particular cache is not allowed in the forums. You should contact the owner and ask for assistance. If that doesn’t work try to contact a local cachet and ask if you can team up when they attempt the cache. You can also look for other caches in the area that use the same technique but are less complicated so it might be easier to figure out. Good luck. 

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, pekafig said:

I'm new to the hobby. Been out and found a few caches and just tried my first multi-cache. Seemed to start OK, then hit a brick wall. This is for:

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC18AV5

I navigated to the second set of coordinates ok, but it the "monument" had 8 dates on it and the clue was not clear. To get to waypoint 3, there's an "x" in the calculation but no instructions about what this means.

Lots of others have figured it out. Am I just too stupid for this or is there something I don't understand about the geocaching lexicon? What can I do when I get stuck like this?

Thanks for any tips.

Wow, that is one crazy complicated math problem for a D1.5!  I’d probably skip it entirely. I’d go caching with a friend who solved it.  :cute:

You can’t publicly work on the finer details of cache puzzles here in the forum, but you can work on one in person with several friends.  Are there local cache Events you could attend?  Especially, puzzle help Events.

Ask the Cache Owner, too.  That’s the person most likely to know exactly how to work the puzzle.

I’ve asked Cache Owners if everything’s correct (yeah, like seeing there’s an extra “x” or something), and gotten confusing puzzles fixed.  One was fixed due to my email (but I had solved it anyway) and someone then solved it and ran out to get FTF. :huh:

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

The x in the calculations for waypoint 3 is just a placeholder.  The CO doesn't want to give too much of the answer to you.  Does the math give you N 42 15.CCC  or N 42 16.CCC or even higher?  You need to do the math.

I don't see anything in the description about which of 8 dates would be correct.  It might be something you would have to be at the site and see a clue.  Also, double check  the math to make sure there is no error.  It does say to be careful.

13 hours ago, pekafig said:

To get to waypoint 3, there's an "x" in the calculation but no instructions about what this means.

I think that you have to guess the right value for the "x". It may be obvious when you have done the calculation part correctly.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'll double check my work and take some guesses to see what makes sense. After reading through your comments, I think I have an idea of where to go from here.

As for my finding caches in the past and not logging here... yeah, I don't really try to keep track. I just like to go find them to see if I can find them. :-)

Edited by pekafig
  • Surprised 2
2 hours ago, pekafig said:

Thank you for your thoughts. I'll double check my work and take some guesses to see what makes sense. After reading through your comments, I think I have an idea of where to go from here.

As for my finding caches in the past and not logging here... yeah, I don't really try to keep track. I just like to go find them to see if I can find them. :-)

You do not have to log a find our whatever online, be good to write a note or notate a DNF though. As long as you sign the log when found. Good luck.

19 hours ago, pekafig said:

Shame we can't tell what constitutes "a few", so we might be able to find if it's a new person thing, or this maybe under-rated in Difficulty cache. 

-   It's a,  "we can't tell what rating in difficulty caches you've attempted so far"  kinda thing...   :)

The description does say " Nothing here is “higher math”, but you do need to be careful. There are no tricks or mysteries involved.", so maybe it is just a learning experience for you.