Archived caches showing up in pocket queries

substickers

Three times now I have searched for an archived cache without knowing it was archived. I run a pocket query and go to find the caches. I always select "Is Enabled". Yesterday, I searched for GC61B30 and found it. When I tried to log it, I found that it had been archived. The archive log was not included in the pocket query, only the last find (I believe). A second occurrence happened today. It was GC197ZK. It was in the pocket query but did not show on the geocaching.com map.

"Is Enabled" only distinguishes between caches that are or are not Temporarily Disabled.  Archived caches never show up in pocket queries, except for your "My Finds" pocket query.

Is it possible that you are retaining old caches on your GPS or elsewhere, like a GSAK database?  Please describe your workflow, including the device you use for finding caches.

• Helpful 2

I understand that Is Enabled is only for non-archived caches. No, it is not possible that I am retaining old caches in my GPS or GSAK. I don't use GSAK anymore, and I frequently cleanse my GPS of old caches. But the two mentioned cannot be from old habits. I'm on vacation in a place I have never been to so my pocket queries are brand new within the last month. What is also odd is that the Archived log does is not included in the pocket query results. But other older logs from the archived cache show up. The last log for both is a FOUND IT log. If you have the permissions to look at pocket queries, check 24084096. Both of the those archived caches show up in it. 

Two things: I am in Moab, UT and it just happened again with GCXK9D. It doesn't show on the geomap but it is in my GPS. Last log was a DNF from 11/24/17. Second, and maybe more important, I received an email from Geocaching Forum:

Hi substickers,
Thanks for your submission! Before your content can be seen by other members, we need to create an account for you.

Finish Submitting

— Geocaching Forums

spacer.png

If you do not take any action, we will delete your email address and not contact you again. There is no need to unsubscribe.

Clicking the link given takes me to the Search page, but from there it is not obvious at all how to find the place to create an account. I am a longtime member of geocaching.com and don't want my email to be deleted.

Curious, 

If you have used a MAC to download?

Sometimes a MAC will "hold onto fragments" or leave fragments in a GPS "database"

Once I learned that "emptying trash" on a MAC was a two step process.   

A MAC pro told me to drag the GPX file into the trash >>>>>> THEN >>>>>> empty the trash with the GPS'r still connected the remnants will be "gone-bye-bye"

Of course I was skeptical and thought I was being messed with ... welllllllll, "I'll be a monkey's uncle".  

4 hours ago, substickers said:

Pretty sure, no. This is a new (refurbished) unit that I received last week of August.

As far as I know, new Garmins still have a bunch of pre-installed caches on them, many now defunct. Take a look in the Garmin\GPX folder of your device to see if there are any gpx files in there other than ones you've added.

You can also take a look in your pocket query GPX files to see if any of the archived caches are in them. The gpx files are just text files so you can view them in any text editor (for example Notepad on Windows). Just search for GCXK9D (or any other archived GC code) and you'll quickly see if it's in there or not.

Edited by barefootjeff
On 9/8/2021 at 10:59 PM, substickers said:

The archive log was not included in the pocket query, only the last find (I believe).

One way to have 4-year-old listing for an archived cache is if it was loaded previously and exists on the GPS.  Some are factory-loaded as GeoTrekker26 mentioned.  And a refurbished device may arrive with files on it.  Do you mind revealing which brand and model of GPS you have?

Post the Active Pocket Query and I'll look at it (the link to the PQ setup page, not the link to the file).  The link would be in the format of "https://www.geocaching.com/pocket/gcquery.aspx?guid=bcbe86fd-f425-4927-aff9-3d2962cd1342". But if you're saying you see the archived cache info in the Pocket Query GPX file itself, that's a bug that you will need to ask HQ to work on (or wait and see if it clears up).  And they're the ones to figure out why you got an email about needing to sign up with an email address.

Edited by kunarion

I held my breath and deleted the GGZ folder. Then I turned on the GPS and checked. My recent finds list where the 3 were listed is completely gone but that's OK. Other nearby caches show as unfound. 

MANY THANKS to kunarion, GeoTrekker26, barefootjeff, humboldt flier, and Keystone for helping me solve the problem.

PS: why on earth does Garmin load 365MB of old cache info?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1