Garmin eTrex 20x - Downloaded Lists

BradleeMora

So I took the plunge and purchased an eTrex 20x. Tested it today on a local urban cache and it worked well.

I've downloaded a number of caches ready for a weekend caching trip.

On geocaching.com my lists are in three separate folders (Days 1-3, 40 per day), but on the device they appear as just one single list of 120.

Is there a way of splitting them into the three folders?

Also, can you view all caches from a list on map at the same time, like as a route, rather than individually?

Many thanks

3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

GPSrChive has all that information and much more!

Wouldn’t be better to actually answer the question instead of pointing to a crudely constructed website?  An answer and a “for more information” link would be much more helpful. 

To OP: the Extex line doesn’t support folders. You can load GPX files, each of which can contain one or many caches. The multiple files are useful when you are managing the directory from your computer. The GPS will group all caches into a single internal database. 

• Helpful 2
1 hour ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

Wouldn’t be better to actually answer the question instead of pointing to a crudely constructed website?  An answer and a “for more information” link would be much more helpful. 

I couldn't possibly copy all the  information available from GPSrChive just for Geocaching alone to a single post here. In the interest of a more complete answer, I provided a link instead. The constructive criticism on the website was most helpful,  but I think I missed your link to your much better website. Can you please provide that again? Thank you!

28 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

I couldn't possibly copy all the  information available from GPSrChive just for Geocaching alone to a single post here. In the interest of a more complete answer, I provided a link instead. The constructive criticism on the website was most helpful,  but I think I missed your link to your much better website. Can you please provide that again? Thank you!

You could answer the question in a sentence or two so there is no need to copy the all the contents. That suggestion is beneath you. 

Much better web site you asked for:

forums.geocaching.com. 

• Upvote 1

Here's one of the problems with blanketly linking to gpsRchive.com: If the answer is no, there is likely no documentation on it for that specific model.
The ability to turn on/off GPX files was introduced in some of the newer models - the eTrex 20x predates that feature and probably wouldn't receive it for several generations anyway given that the eTrex is the "low level" or "toy" line in Garmin's handheld collection. So no, the device will display all of the geocaches you load regardless of how many files they are divided into unless you hit the 2000 GPX file limit or the 5000 geocache limit.

@Atlas Cached, are you by chance the owner/curator of gpsArchive.com? Just curious.

5 hours ago, HHL said:

Linking to your Home page instead to the unit's subpage is just collecting clicks. That's pretty stupid behaviour and doesn't help at all.

Hans

Except for one little inconvenient fact: The linked website is 100% free to everyone and has ZERO advertising. Purely a labor of love to help others get the most out of their Garmin GPSr.

From the website:

• GPSrChive is provided completely free of advertisements or fees, and we want to keep it that way.
  • Development is driven purely by a passion we share with those who own and use these products.

Also, the forums over there have zero snickering, judging, berating or personal attacks. Just good information for those who wish to share it.

1 hour ago, GeoTrekker26 said:

Please provide a URL to the specific answer on that site.

Since you insist :D

The GPSrChive > How to... > Geocaching page has many examples of what can and can not be done when loading geocache data to the device using different methods, and provided examples of how that information might be viewed and used.

Also, the GPSrChive > eTrex x0x > Pages > Geocaches page also provides many different screen captures and descriptions that answer both the first and second question as well as providing abundant amounts of additional information they may not even be ware of.

There are many Groundspeak forum users that have expressed gratitude for the help I have provided here over the years, and it is really a shame that a 'few' might work so hard at preventing them from having access to all available help and information resources.

I am aware that there has been a lot of work put into the site but I don't see an easy way to get answers to the questions asked.  What I am sure is obvious to someone like you who is very familiar with the content, finding the answers is probably easy.  For a new user or one new to the site, finding page after page of screen captures doesn't naturally lead to a "behind the scenes" question, that is how are the GPX files actually stored in the file system and how does the file system related to the database presentation of those caches.  Is there a screen shot of the directory structure with varied GPX files? (Obviously, the shot would be of the computer focused on the GPX directory.)  That would be helpful to a user trying to understand the various directories, some of which should not be disturbed.

As to your links, they point to index pages.  I don't see how to find the specific answers from those index pages.  There may be a way, but it would involve a lot of searching and scrolling. Again I think the best help is to provide direct answers to questions asked and then offering that more information is available at the web site.  That does two things, answers the questions and alerts the cacher to the availability of additional resources.

In general, the forums are a place to ask questions and get answers.  In most cases, I don't feel that only directing the questioner to another site is providing an answer. It is merely telling them where else to look and the forums are not designed to be an index site.

• Helpful 1