California Geocoin Order Time

Bob&TheGang

The coordinates on the coin point out the center of the state, which is still the center of the state. There's a cache 58 feet away? Nothing wrong with that. Just because it's not the California Geocoin Official Center of the State Cache doesn't make it bad. I don't imagine a whole lot of coin-owners were going to go to the coordinates on the coin, since they are quite far away from many of us. And if anyone does go, they'll get to see the center of the state, and also somebody's cache. No harm done to anybody, and certainly the coins are in no way devalued. They're as cool as ever, and I'm sure they'll be very popular.

Perhaps the owners of the recently-placed cache would like to be part of this. They might move their cache a little closer to the coords on the coin and retain ownership; they're local to the area and thus able to maintain the cache, and since Bobkat isn't I assume a local steward is needed anyway. Or they could leave it fifty feet away; geocachers are smart, they'll manage. I don't think it's fair to pressure them to archive their cache or hand it over. They had no reason to believe anyone had 'dibs' on that site, and without an active or disabled cache there nobody did have dibs on it.

Thank you. You said it much better than I tried to. I think the coins are still a great collector's item regardless of whether there is a cache at the exact coordinates. The cache that is there still commemorates the center of California and I think it still has value.

I am not blaming anyone but myself.

Also in the end, it probably is not a big deal anyway it works out.

I just can't believe the luck. This cache showed up some time last night.

Dillon Gang helped me out with the coordinates puzzle to this multi cache. I literally was going resubmit the cache for approval tonight.

On another note, thanks to my wife Katrina and Steve from the Dillon, all the Geocoin have been bagged, labels and the addresses made for the envelops.

All I have to do now is put the the correct number of Geocoins in each envelop. I have 40 more to go.

NOTE: If you ordere 25 or more Geocoins, I am going to ship you the Geocoins in the shipping tubes that were sent to me. I will enclose the little zip lock bags and the web site labels. You will just have to put the Geocoins in the bag your self and then apply the label. The geocoins are protected bettter in the shipping tubes when sending a large amount of Geocoins.

Anyway, I am pretty sure I can all the orders mailed out by this Friday and Saturday.

It looks like Sacramento Geocacher are the first ones to get their hands on the Geocoins. JeepLife handed out many of the Sacramento Distribution orders last night.

I will do my best to have the tracking site up and functioning by tomorrow. Of course, unless the coin is labeled with the tracking site's URL, nobody is going to know where to go to track them (except for the people already in the know) since the tracking URL isn't on the coin itself...

I will do my best to have the tracking site up and functioning by tomorrow. Of course, unless the coin is labeled with the tracking site's URL, nobody is going to know where to go to track them (except for the people already in the know) since the tracking URL isn't on the coin itself...

Thank you Marky and Bobkat. I got mine in the mail today and boy am I a HappyFrog. I was jumping with joy. My dogs thought I was crazy. Now I will place new caches with the coins in them ;)

I love it a whole lot.

I think placing the coins in the cache that is there would be a fine idea, because after all, how many coins were minted? And how long before they are all gone, and it's a regular cache again? Or do you plan to keep minting and restocking it? Is it near enough to you to keep it stocked up?

Thanks to a big help from Steve from the Dillon Gang, I got the orders mailed to all the people who requested their Geocoins mailed to their home (all 44 of them). The Postal Worker and the people in line behind me were just thrilled. All that is left is mail the few orders for the "non-distribution" sites in L.A. & Eureka. I will get those out tomorrow (Saturday Feb. 14). This this Monday being a holiday, most people should receive their orders by this Tuesday (2/17) or Wednesday (2/18).

I also plan to do the San Diego Distribution Site on Sunday Feb. 15th from 1 to 3 pm.

Coordinates: N 32 47.667 W 117 07.428. It will be in the "Stadium Market" parking lot. It is just up the hill from Qualcomm Stadium, at the corner of Mission Village Dr. and Shawn Ave. I also plan to have 21 Geocoins available for sale (3 per person) to anyone who wants them. First come first serve. $3 each. I also plan to give anyone who shows up a preview of my "Sierra Memories" cache (that won't be officially posted on G.C. until after Sunday. I will hand out cache information sheets at the distribution site. The cache will be pretty tough to find. As a FTF prize for the first 3 people, I will have free California Geocoin coupons (to be redeemed immediately). If I get real organized, we have have a little food & drink at the distribution site. Anyone is welcome, so pass the word.

Okay, the tracking site is up and limping along. There is a link to the tracking area from the main page now. I'm not sure what the main page should eventually look like, so I'm leaving it as is for now. I'm sure there are some bugs still lurking about, and I know there are features that people will want, but this is a starting place. Let me know if you find any problems, or need any geocoin records to be fixed.

I would recommend that you register all your coins before you place them (just enter the tracking # and click on 'Own It!' to register them).

Please send comments and suggestions to me.

--Marky

Bobkat92,

I got my coins last night via Jeeplife, then Putt, and might be others I don't know about... We had our local Caching dinner...a good chance for those who didn't get them to see how nice they turned out.

They look great! <_<

Thanks for all the hard work by you and all those behind the scenes!

Wetpaws

Okay, the tracking site is up and limping along.  There is a link to the tracking area from the main page now. 

--Marky

Thanks Marky for setting up the site. You did something I was totally clueless at doing.

Has anyone from the San Jose area picked up their Geocoins from Kristine yet?

Kristine hasn't logged a cache find since Nov 19th and hasn't made a forum post since October (from what I can tell). I'm rather worried that we haven't heard anything yet. If you have her phone number, could you call her and see what's up?

Yipee! Got my coins. Thanks Bobkatz and Marky. I dropped my first coin today, but when I tried to log it on Marky's site it put it in some wierd picnic cache. I tried twice and thought, hmmm, I'm only going to make matters worse if I keep doing that.

The cache I dropped it into is:

Buckeye (GCGYJR)

I put in the waypoint exactly as above, but something gets changed in the process. Let me know if it's something wierd I'm doing and I'll stop it.

I'll try and get the rest of my coins registered in the next day or two.

Kristine hasn't logged a cache find since Nov 19th and hasn't made a forum post since October (from what I can tell). I'm rather worried that we haven't heard anything yet. If you have her phone number, could you call her and see what's up?

I just got an emai l from Kristine today (2/16).

She did get San Jose order just fine. She works at a florist shop and has been putting in a lot of hours due to Valentine's day. Anyway, she says that is all set to hand out the Geocoins and will be contact the peeple who who ordered them today.

I was a little worried too, until I got her email today.

First we had wierd dates for the drops,

now no drop dates at all.

Work in progress,

I guess ( a rhyme!). :D

Definitely a work in progress. I think once all the coins get registered, the Latest Sightings list will be more interesting (since it would usually only show grabs and drops).

I did notice something I messed up in the database that I had to fix by hand (but now it will be automatic again). The drops should be showing up on the latest sightings list again. I also increased the list to 50 most recent (at least for now).

--Marky

The shipping is now complete for the California Geocoin.

The San Diego Distribution even on Feb 15th was a lot of fun. A bunch of people showed up. I was able to sell 21 extra Geocoins within minutes. I only wished I ordered more Geocoins to sell.

In the end, 1125 Geocoins were given out.

The Geocoins tracking site at www.calif.goecoins.net seems to be working pretty well. Be sure to log in your Geocoins before you start placing them in caches. Thanks Marky for getting that site up and continuing to work out the little bugs.

There may be another 35 or so Geocoins for sale next week. A few of you have already contacted me expressing interest. If the Geocoins are available, they will be $3 each. I am going to limit a max of five Geocoins per person. The shipping will be $4.25 (for U.S. priority mail). If you want to pick them up at my house in San Diego, then their will be no shipping charge.

A few people have asked if there will be another order. Well, if we can get people to commit to at least another 250 Geocoins, then if can happen. It may also be a little cheaper the next time around as there won't be a die-cast charge.

A few other people have asked if there will be a 2005 version of the California Geocoin. Well the Dillon Gang and I have though about that. We were thinking of Geocoin with some of the natural wonders of California on it (e.g., the brown bear, the Giant Sequoia Trees, Yosemite's Half Dome).

I am looking for my birthday coin: 0806. Would the owner like to trade? I have most of March: 0302 thru 0324. I have not registered any of this series of coins. I also have 0279 thru 0298.

Great Scott!

I just checked my coins and I don't have that one, sorry. Hope you can find it though.