Live Geocaching - Can I alter the message?

I love the Live Geocaching feature on my Garmin GPSMAP 66st. 

However, unedited all everyone doesn't gets for a message is:

"Submitted via Garmin Live Geocaching". 

That comment would be fine with me, as I think finding a cache is 

the significant thing, but... the wife unit feels it shows a lack of 

appreciation and wants to put a more appropriate message

of appreciation as the default message. 

Is such an thing possible?? Of course I've looked everywhere

on the GPSMAP 66st and can find no place to do it. 

Thanks,

Fred 

Edited by BasicMemberFred
I wanted to set the follow topic
17 hours ago, BasicMemberFred said:

the wife unit feels it shows a lack of 

appreciation and wants to put a more appropriate message

of appreciation as the default message. 

IMNSHO *every* default logtext which is not edited individually for the very cache demonstrates lack of appreciation.

Please don't let yourself draw down to such behaviour already in your early days of this fine hobby.

• Helpful 1
18 hours ago, 2quigs said:

As stated you can edit the default log from the field but it is kind of cumbersome from the GPSr.  I usually just let the default log stand until I get home and then edit them all from my computer.

You know instead you can (and IMHO should) write drafts and edit them at home? There is no need for sending out any default logs from the field.

• Upvote 1

Since there is no method of writing drafts from the GPSr, I assume you mean drafts from the "App".  I don't use the Geocaching app so I rely on my GPSMap 66s for automatically sending out the logs.  It takes away the guess work of which caches were found.  But I still like to edit them later on the computer.   

I know I can edit the "automatic log" from the GPSr but it takes too much time and effort.  I wish there were options for other choices in automatic logging on the GPSr.  For example: instead of "Submitted by Garmin Live Geocaching",   it could have "Thanks for hiding the cache" or "Great hide, excellent cache" etc.  Just a thought...

10 hours ago, 2quigs said:

I don't use the Geocaching app so I rely on my GPSMap 66s

Sorry, I thought you mean using the app.

But it's also new to me and embarrassing to learn that Garmin only allows to make actual logs and not also provide the ability to write drafts. :mad:

5 hours ago, Hynz said:

Sorry, I thought you mean using the app.

But it's also new to me and embarrassing to learn that Garmin only allows to make actual logs and not also provide the ability to write drafts. :mad:

You can upload drafts from the geocache_visits.txt file. Just set the GPS not to automatically send logs via GCLive and instead do it the old-fashioned way through the website.

On 9/9/2021 at 12:04 PM, Mineral2 said:

Just set the GPS not to automatically send logs via GCLive

No, I love that feature with the 66s.  I just don't like the wording.  That's why I edit them when I get home.  The automatic log feature takes all guess work out of which caches I found and where etc.

17 minutes ago, 2quigs said:

No, I love that feature with the 66s.  I just don't like the wording.  That's why I edit them when I get home.  The automatic log feature takes all guess work out of which caches I found and where etc.

My Oregon 750 has the same feature, but I don’t use it.  I edit each field note using very abbreviated notes as reminders for the eventual log.  I edit them at home, after manually uploading the field notes (Drafts) by USB.

1 hour ago, 2quigs said:

The trouble is the COs won't know about your edited logs as they only get notified when you submit the original.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

My Oregon 750 has the same feature, but I don’t use it.  I edit each field note using very abbreviated notes as reminders for the eventual log.  I edit them at home, after manually uploading the field notes (Drafts) by USB.

I do the same using custom abbreviations that GSAK automatically converts into meaningful text for each log. I can then add time stamps, photos, and automatically log travel bugs as well,  as well as enter specific information from each cache before GSAK uploads everything to geocaching.com for me. 

8 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

I do the same using custom abbreviations that GSAK automatically converts into meaningful text for each log. I can then add time stamps, photos, and automatically log travel bugs as well,  as well as enter specific information from each cache before GSAK uploads everything to geocaching.com for me. 

Pretty cool!  I might try that if I didn’t fat-finger all my abbreviations.