Adding to Unassigned Category?

jiggs11

1 hour ago, jiggs11 said:

I have a waymark I'm attempting to have listed somewhere (anywhere) for a Canadian Medal of Honor recipient's memorial marker. I've been declined by at least three categories. 

Waymark Code: WM14AR9. How do I post to the Unassigned Category?

Cheers, Jiggs11

I feel like you'll be wasting others' time if you don't at least mention in the waymark WHICH categories you submitted to , and which were denied (and the reason). They're likely going to submit the waymark to the exact same categories as you and it will be denied. So if the waymark has no home, it's possibly just contributing to more spam in the UCWM folder.

And then you get the problem I had: Mine was denied, but the person who categorized it from the UCWM, with all of my research and information, got it approved. I appealed to the officer, that the EXACT same waymark was declined when I submitted it, but approved when he submitted it. It fell on deaf ears.

Instead of submitting it to UCM, maybe you can explain which categories denied it, and why? Maybe we can help. Why was it denied in MOH?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I found the waymark: https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/wm14AR9, but like Max and 99 said, it would help a lot to know why it was declined in the Medal of Honor category.

I also found https://www.cmohs.org/recipients/denis-buckley. Maybe the reason is, that Dennis Buckley was buried in Marietta, GA and the marker is in Ontario, Canada.

Edited by PISA-caching

I should have beena bit more specific.

The MoH Cat declined it because the marker must be with the recipient's remains. In this case, the marker is in Canada (where he is from), the remains I believe are in Andersonville NMC in Georgia.

Specific Veteran Memorials - must not be of a grave stone (body present or not)

same with commemmorations.

Might try Signs of History?

Thanks for the input.

43 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Unfortunately, I don't think so. The Signs of History says: "Ontario    Allows only those on the 'search the database' link." and I doubt that this cenotaph is in that database.

Well, that is a good sign, actually.

Signs of History is a catch-all category that excludes signs that already have their geographically limited category. The phrase you cited is from the reverse exclusion list. Ontario Provincial Plaques only allows sites that are in the database. So, with an entry it would be excluded from Signs of History, but now it isn't.

There remains the question if that stone is "plaque enough" to qualify. I would give it a try. A fourth denial does not hurt more than the third one.

• Funny 1
6 hours ago, fi67 said:

You can remove your own UCMs by categorizing them. This transforms them back to standard personal unfinished waymarks.

This brings up a couple of questions. Since I don't believe I've ever categorized a WM from the UCWM list, I just have to ask.

If one categorizes a WM in order to remove it from the UCWM list, must it first be submitted and/or declined before it can be deleted? I seem to recall that a WM can't be deleted just willy-nilly - IE it must first have been declined in the category to which it was submitted. Otherwise an attempt to delete it results in its being archived instead.

OR, can a WM be submitted in a random category, then cancelled prior to its being reviewed, and then deleted? And if so, will that result in its being removed from the UCWM list? OR, can a deleted, unfinished WM, as you note, really do the trick?

Are any of these questions on the mark?

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
On 1/27/2022 at 4:30 AM, ScroogieII said:

This brings up a couple of questions. Since I don't believe I've ever categorized a WM from the UCWM list, I just have to ask.

If one categorizes a WM in order to remove it from the UCWM list, must it first be submitted and/or declined before it can be deleted? I seem to recall that a WM can't be deleted just willy-nilly - IE it must first have been declined in the category to which it was submitted. Otherwise an attempt to delete it results in its being archived instead.

OR, can a WM be submitted in a random category, then cancelled prior to its being reviewed, and then deleted? And if so, will that result in its being removed from the UCWM list? OR, can a deleted, unfinished WM, as you note, really do the trick?

Are any of these questions on the mark?

Keith

When you create a waymark without a category it automatically ends up in the public UCWM list. When you later decide to categorize that waymark, it is transformed back to a normal personal unfinished waymark. You can submit it or delete it as you like.

But this only works for your own UCWMs.

When you categorize a UCWM from someone else, a clone of it is created with a reference to the origin, but the original UCWM stays untouched. You can create an infinite number of those clones, but nobody except the OP (and most probably some Groundspeak lackeys) can remove or change it.

Edited by fi67
Typo
  • Helpful 1