Barefoot trails/paths/walks

The Kneipp pools are meanwhile accepted in the "Spas, Hammams, Mineral Baths and Saunas" category and in my humble opinion these barefoot walks fit to the Kneipp pools as much (or little) as to the Fitness Trails. So, the question is: Are there enough of them to qualify for a new category? And the second question is: How permanent are they? They are quite easy to create, but as easy to be removed. For example: Barfuß-Parcours - Wien zu Fuß (wienzufuss.at)

Edited by PISA-caching
1 hour ago, PISA-caching said:

The Kneipp pools are meanwhile accepted in the "Spas, Hammams, Mineral Baths and Saunas" category and in my humble opinion these barefoot walks fit to the Kneipp pools as much (or little) as to the Fitness Trails.

That was something I didn't know of - and hadn't even suspected. Kneipp pools are mostly outdoors and the "Spas, Hammams, Mineral Baths and Saunas" are more of an indoor wellness to me, so the connection didn't arise. Anyway, the connection to the barefoot paths came really spontanous, so I added those to the proposal.

So, the question is: Are there enough of them to qualify for a new category? And the second question is: How permanent are they? They are quite easy to create, but as easy to be removed. For example: Barfuß-Parcours - Wien zu Fuß (wienzufuss.at)

Well, there are some more permanent here (like the one in Neuss I know of ( https://www.verkehrsverein-neuss.de/barfusspfad/ ) that was opened in 2003) and the picture offered by lumbricus seems to be a more permanent one, too. So I'm pretty sure there are quite some of them around the world - if there are enough to fill a niche and to qualify for a new category? Don't know, so that's why I'm asking.

And perhaps we should move the topic to new thread ...

14 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

...Are there enough of them to qualify for a new category? And the second question is: How permanent are they? They are quite easy to create, but as easy to be removed...

All barefoot walks/trails I know are permanent and well maintained. Problem at the moment, I have no time to create a new category. Maybe someone else?

Here is one in Bad Reichenhall

The following pictures were taken in Bayrischzell:

bfp2.jpg

bfp1.jpg

Edited by lumbricus
Link added.

I haven't created many categories, but nevertheless I'm willing to help. The first step would be to ask the leader of the "Self Guided Walks and Trails" category (personally), if he would allow barefoot walks in his category. The description says: "Self Guided Nature Trails and Historic Walks are the main focus of this Category, but there may be some leniency as long as the basic principle of "Self Guided" is followed.", but it also says "In general though, the Self Guided Trail or Walk should be educational.". If he will not allow them there:

I would ask for some feedback from other WMers from different countries/continents. How prevelant are these in your area? Are there any suggestions what would also fit in this category, that we haven't thought about?

Edited by PISA-caching
25 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

I haven't created many categories, but nevertheless I'm willing to help. The first step would be to ask the leader of the "Self Guided Walks and Trails" category (personally), if he would allow barefoot walks in his category. The description says: "Self Guided Nature Trails and Historic Walks are the main focus of this Category, but there may be some leniency as long as the basic principle of "Self Guided" is followed.", but it also says "In general though, the Self Guided Trail or Walk should be educational.".

Somehow you can think that walking on a barefoot path is educational: Your body learns how to walk on different materials :D. But honestly, I doubt that this would be enough reason to expand the category.

25 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

If he will not allow them there:

I would ask for some feedback from other WMers from different countires/continents. How prevelant are these in your area? Are there any suggestions what would also fit in this category, that we haven't thought about?

Yes, I'd also like to hear about the experiences in other countries - I found some all over Europe, but a little bit of googling suggested that there are also barefoot paths in America and (probably) Asia.

7 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Oh, oh. The last few WMs of the "Self Guided Walks and Trails" category have been approved by wayfrog. :-(

The leader of this group was last on a year ago - and the other officers seem to be not so active, too :(  ...

I haven't created many categories, but nevertheless I'm willing to help. The first step would be to ask the leader of the "Self Guided Walks and Trails" category (personally), if he would allow barefoot walks in his category. The description says: "Self Guided Nature Trails and Historic Walks are the main focus of this Category, but there may be some leniency as long as the basic principle of "Self Guided" is followed.", but it also says "In general though, the Self Guided Trail or Walk should be educational.". If he will not allow them there:

I would ask for some feedback from other WMers from different countries/continents. How prevelant are these in your area? Are there any suggestions what would also fit in this category, that we haven't thought about?

"...Self Guided Walks and Trails come in many shapes and sizes.  There purpose is usually to convey some knowledge, either in the form of interpretive signs or brochures that accompany a numbered path..."

In my opinion barefoot paths don't fit well in the "Self Guided Walks and Trails" category.

The key word is "usually". "convey some knowledge" can also be interpreted as "learning how it feels to walk on stones, sand, fir cones etc. barefoot". Of course, it doesn't fit 100%, but most of these barefoot trails contain natural materials (not broken glass or something :D) and I could also say that "Nature Trails" (where you learn about fauna and flora, geology etc.) and "Historic Walks" (where you learn about history) don't fit to each other. You might even say that these two topics are different departments (Nature and History).

Edited by PISA-caching

Must be a European thing as I've never seen a "barefoot path" here in the states. I feel this might be enough to create a new category at the very least. Interesting, yes. Is a new category redundant, in my eyes no. Prevalent, maybe. Don't feel like any of the existing categories would be a good fit. Maybe outdoor science displays, but its a stretch.

• Helpful 1

I did not like the inclusion of Kneipp pools into the Spas category, because they are completely different to all the other accepted venues (Just this e.g., they are not a venue). But it has happened and I have to live with it.

Barefoot walks and Self-Guided Trails are in a very similar relation, although a tiny bit closer. The first do not need any guidance, self or not, because they are short and almost all I know have start and end in a visible range. And they are too short for "trails".

I know about half a dozen of them within maybe 10 kilometers from home. They all are permanent and well maintained. Their lengths vary between about 30 and maybe 200 meters, but more often on the short end. 30 meters are not a trail (Although I know an official 50-meters trail in the Alps: it a straight line towards an spectacular panorama. It is called the Zen Trail and officially supposed to take about an hour. But this is a very singular occurrence and kind of tongue in cheek - or Zen - whatever you prefer).

• Helpful 1

Personally, I will always vote against a category dedicated to such specific and hard to find thing. I am 55. Saw a lot. Travelled around 100 countries. Never  found one of these. Didn't even knew they existed. Oh, and I am not US American, but it seems it's something rare or inexistent over there, accordingly to Bluesnote.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, Torgut said:

Personally, I will always vote against a category dedicated to such specific and hard to find thing. I am 55. Saw a lot. Travelled around 100 countries. Never  found one of these. Didn't even knew they existed. Oh, and I am not US American, but it seems it's something rare or inexistent over there, accordingly to Bluesnote.

I'm quoting Torgut here for his pertinent, germane and useful comments.

But, sorry, Andreas, you're already completely covered here. From Hiking and walking trailheads:

"Trail Heads and access points will be defined as the place where a trail begins.

Trailheads and access points must be publicly accessible.

Trail will be defined as a marked or beaten path, created by humans, as through woods or wilderness or naturalized area..."

There's no indication whatever in the above description that a Barefoot Trail, whatever its length might be, would not be approved in Hiking and Walking Trailheads, despite what the original intention of the category may have been.

The term  "as through woods or wilderness" is simply a suggestion, not a proscription or prohibition of those NOT "through woods or wilderness", as I understand the English language.

Again, sorry, Andreas,

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

I don't see what's so special about barefoot paths. I grew up much of the time bare foot. Bare feet is common in much of the world, especially for children. If someone wants to go bare footed, just take off you shoes and go for a walk.

As for a trail, put caches along a sealed path, then people are less likely to walk on a thorn.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I don't see what's so special about barefoot paths. I grew up much of the time bare foot. Bare feet is common in much of the world, especially for children. If someone wants to go bare footed, just take off you shoes and go for a walk.

That's all true, but it has nothing to do with those barefoot paths.

Barefoot paths are not about walking barefoot, that would be too simple (and weird or boring or both). They are about many different sensations for your feet. Dozens of different surfaces, that do exist in nature as well, but usually not so close together. Every few meters or so they change the surface. Sand, large pebbles, wood, small stones, clay, wood chips and so on. This also means they are not so easy to maintain.

7 hours ago, fi67 said:

That's all true, but it has nothing to do with those barefoot paths.

Barefoot paths are not about walking barefoot, that would be too simple (and weird or boring or both). They are about many different sensations for your feet. Dozens of different surfaces, that do exist in nature as well, but usually not so close together. Every few meters or so they change the surface. Sand, large pebbles, wood, small stones, clay, wood chips and so on. This also means they are not so easy to maintain.

:D We would get that as children, as we ran around the neighbourhood bare footed. Concrete, lawn (bindis :wacko:), bitumen, gravel, long grass, creek bed, leaf litter, boulders, etc.