What3words links?

Big84

39 minutes ago, Big84 said:

Hi been ages since I have been on here so apologies if this has been asked.

Are there are any rules against using "What3words"  in either the cache description or hint?

Thanks
BIG84

We have several of those caches near my location! The first one stumped me FOREVER!!! I can't tell you how many hours I worked on it, absolutely clueless. It wasn't until I solved a different puzzle that the lightbulb went off.

15 hours ago, arisoft said:

Some coordinate systems are too inaccurate. I have heard that using a such system is not allowed. W3W is good enough.

The cache coordinates need to be accurate. There's no rule against using an inaccurate coordinate system as long as, in the end, the seeker ends up with accurate coordinates.

Not that's relevant here: w3w is accurate to thousandths of minutes, just like geocache coordinates.

W3W has 3x3 meter boxes. Accuracy north-south would be 3.00m (that is, one unit represents that distance).

Coords of the form DD MM.MMM` are accurate to 1.85m (north-south), and (except near the equator) less than that west-east.

Also, the W3W coords can be translated into WGS, which makes them appear somewhat more accurate.

Apparently, good enough :)

11 minutes ago, Jayeffel said:

Might I ask what "What Three Words" is? New to me.

Quickly explained here

https://www.geocachingtoolbox.com/index.php?lang=en&page=w3w

BUT not very good when trying to communicate the words over a phone. The difference between for example "receivable" and "receivables" could put you a long way from where you actually are.

Using lat long or other co-ordinates method is generally much easier to communicate as it's a combination of 0, 1, 2, 3  etc rather than a dictionary of words.

Useful for people who rely on a phone app.

Now I'm off to hide....

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, BigFurryMonster said:

W3W has 3x3 meter boxes. Accuracy north-south would be 3.00m (that is, one unit represents that distance).

Coords of the form DD MM.MMM` are accurate to 1.85m (north-south), and (except near the equator) less than that west-east.

And under ideal conditions, a consumer GPS device will be accurate to about 3m (10ft). The precision provided by W3W is fine for geocaching, given the accuracy consumer GPS devices provide..