Caching in/around Sacramento, CA -2002

The 19th

I took a hike out to Avery's pond today on a whim. If you get a chance in the next two weeks, go out there. The wild yellow iris and butterflies are abundant out there right now. I have never seen so much wild iris in my life, it surrounds the pond. So many butterflies you walk along trying to stop them from landing on you. I am going out there again Friday to change the cache box to an ammo can cuz the tupperwear top is cracked. icon_wink.gif Please note that the cache has been moved. I moved it today because there was no way to reach the cache without getting in poison oak. It is abundant this year. The cache was moved to the other side of the pond. I also took El Bandito. I have decided to call the owners and see if they would like me to attach a travel bug to him. He has been sitting there a long time.

I took a hike out to Avery's pond today on a whim. If you get a chance in the next two weeks, go out there. The wild yellow iris and butterflies are abundant out there right now. I have never seen so much wild iris in my life, it surrounds the pond. So many butterflies you walk along trying to stop them from landing on you. I am going out there again Friday to change the cache box to an ammo can cuz the tupperwear top is cracked. icon_wink.gif Please note that the cache has been moved. I moved it today because there was no way to reach the cache without getting in poison oak. It is abundant this year. The cache was moved to the other side of the pond. I also took El Bandito. I have decided to call the owners and see if they would like me to attach a travel bug to him. He has been sitting there a long time.

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

I took a hike out to Avery's pond today on a whim. If you get a chance in the next two weeks, go out there. The wild yellow iris and butterflies are abundant out there right now.

I just noticed something... McIrish has been generously sprinkling her new digital pictures about. See how much fun it is to bring one along? icon_smile.gif

(Edit - 4/21/02 added URL)

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

I took a hike out to Avery's pond today on a whim. If you get a chance in the next two weeks, go out there. The wild yellow iris and butterflies are abundant out there right now.

I just noticed something... McIrish has been generously sprinkling her new digital pictures about. See how much fun it is to bring one along? icon_smile.gif

(Edit - 4/21/02 added URL)

When poking around the Elk Grove cache, I found several points of interest:

On my way there, I saw a gravestone marked "Orville Sheldon" (either the person or related to the person that Sheldon Rd. and High School were named after). On it, there were several stones painted white and the message "Thank you" painted on them as well. I made a note to myself that I might want to research the name a bit.

Later on, there were a set of headstones from the Gage family. Now this was interesting because ever since I moved to the Elk Grove area, I would wonder why there was a "Gage St." and brushed it off as a typo. Apparently, the Gages were deeply rooted in the area as the lot was fairly large.

Finally, a few paces south from the cache site proper, there were some headstones from the Beattie family, and of course, geocacher that I am, I wondered if there was any relation to our very own Kimbo.

---

Lawrence

I would put something funny here, but not now.

quote:
Originally posted by TerrierCarrier:

So...why is it that there are 47,936 caches along the American River and Lake Natomas and every park bigger than a postage stamp in the Sac urban area yet caches in the foothills just a stones throw away are rarely visited? icon_confused.gif

Because stones throw is a relative term. I want to make my caches easily maintanable, which means putting them (for the most part) in reasonable proximity to where I live. Besides... I think it's pretty cool to be able to find four or five caches without having to resort to going back to the car and driving. It makes for a great outing.

And dis the American River Parkway all you want, but I LOVE IT! icon_biggrin.gif

I tend to do the caches closest to my house first and then work my way outward in an ever increasing radius. So eventually I'll be all over them thar foothills. icon_wink.gif

llamasmall.jpg

quote:

So...why is it that there are 47,936 caches along the American River and Lake Natomas and every park bigger than a postage stamp in the Sac urban area yet caches in the foothills just a stones throw away are rarely visited? icon_confused.gif

Because stones throw is a relative term. I want to make my caches easily maintanable, which means putting them (for the most part) in reasonable proximity to where I live. Besides... I think it's pretty cool to be able to find four or five caches without having to resort to going back to the car and driving. It makes for a great outing.

And dis the American River Parkway all you want, but I LOVE IT! icon_biggrin.gif

I tend to do the caches closest to my house first and then work my way outward in an ever increasing radius. So eventually I'll be all over them thar foothills. icon_wink.gif

llamasmall.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by The 19th:

When poking around the Elk Grove cache, I found several points of interest:

On my way there, I saw a gravestone marked "Orville Sheldon" (either the person or related to the person that Sheldon Rd. and High School were named after). On it, there were several stones painted white and the message "Thank you" painted on them as well. I made a note to myself that I might want to research the name a bit.

The Old Grist Mill also mentions another Sheldon.

miatablk.gif

Rent, perhaps you misread my post. It was certainly not a flame directed at you, nor was it a “dis” of the parkway. It was not intended to criticize those who plant caches close to home. I was trying to spark a discussion about caches in the Sac area, and perhaps encourage some cachers to explore existing caches in the foothills and Sierra.

This is a glorious time of year in the Sierra foothills. Everything is in bloom and the wildflowers are gorgeous. The waterfalls and streams are spectacular. There are seldom visited caches that are at their most beautiful right now. The rhetorical question is; why, at the best time of year, would you spend time in a city when some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet is a stones throw (sorry Rent, less than a 45 minute drive) from the Parkway?

Don

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with a thread that won't update??? The Stockton/Modesto thread always comes up February 8th for me as the last post, but always stays on top of the list. I can see there have been new posts in the little preview box, but when I go in, it has not updated. I went in there this morning and posted a message and then the thread updated on my puter, but when I went back this afternoon, my post was gone and I was back to the February 8th date. Can't figure out what is going on. I tried refresh, no help. icon_confused.gif

Just went back again and my post is gone, and it is back to the February 8th post again. Now this is weird.

I was wondering if anyone else is having problems with a thread that won't update??? The Stockton/Modesto thread always comes up February 8th for me as the last post, but always stays on top of the list. I can see there have been new posts in the little preview box, but when I go in, it has not updated. I went in there this morning and posted a message and then the thread updated on my puter, but when I went back this afternoon, my post was gone and I was back to the February 8th date. Can't figure out what is going on. I tried refresh, no help. icon_confused.gif

Just went back again and my post is gone, and it is back to the February 8th post again. Now this is weird.

....your three posts to the Stockton/Modesto thread are still there.

If you are accessing the thread from a stored FAVORITE place (bookmark) it probably takes you to page 1 of the thread. We are currently on page 9 of the thread. Find a space near the upper right corner (not right at the top) that shows page numbers. Click on page 9.

That should take you to page 9. Your three posts are toward the bottom of the page.

I was just there at 7:30 pm and everything is working fine.

Hope this helps.....Ron

By the way...did you know there is a new version of the software for Magellan 315 I sold your dad. It makes it more useable when walking at speeds as slow as 1/2 mph.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:

Rent, perhaps you misread my post. It was certainly not a flame directed at you, nor was it a “dis” of the parkway. It was not intended to criticize those who plant caches close to home. I was trying to spark a discussion about caches in the Sac area, and perhaps encourage some cachers to explore existing caches in the foothills and Sierra.

This is a glorious time of year in the Sierra foothills. Everything is in bloom and the wildflowers are gorgeous. The waterfalls and streams are spectacular. There are seldom visited caches that are at their most beautiful right now. The rhetorical question is; why, at the best time of year, would you spend time in a city when some of the most spectacular scenery on the planet is a stones throw (sorry Rent, less than a 45 minute drive) from the Parkway?

Don

No doubt, no doubt.

I do take exception however to your post in another topic, equating the high density of caches in Sacramento to 'littering.' I've personally found that the majority of the caches in the Sacramento area are well-thought, high-quality caches, whose owners take maintenance very seriously.

There are exceptions of course, but if responsible cachers such as MikieP, JoRod, McIrish, McNabb, Trickster & Red Rover, Putt, and everyone else (sorry if I missed you) want to put out a lot of caches... so what? I WANT to walk from cache to cache. It beats driving any day. icon_cool.gif

BTW: There ARE some apparently abandoned caches around Sacramento that need to go. I encourage everyone to lobby Jeremy to have them removed. It's obvious from looking at the owner profiles that they are no longer in the hobby. It wouldn't hurt to pack out the remains of trashed caches either.

So... litter? I don't think so. But it doesn't hurt to be vigilant.

llamasmall.jpg

quote:

Don

No doubt, no doubt.

I do take exception however to your post in another topic, equating the high density of caches in Sacramento to 'littering.' I've personally found that the majority of the caches in the Sacramento area are well-thought, high-quality caches, whose owners take maintenance very seriously.

There are exceptions of course, but if responsible cachers such as MikieP, JoRod, McIrish, McNabb, Trickster & Red Rover, Putt, and everyone else (sorry if I missed you) want to put out a lot of caches... so what? I WANT to walk from cache to cache. It beats driving any day. icon_cool.gif

BTW: There ARE some apparently abandoned caches around Sacramento that need to go. I encourage everyone to lobby Jeremy to have them removed. It's obvious from looking at the owner profiles that they are no longer in the hobby. It wouldn't hurt to pack out the remains of trashed caches either.

So... litter? I don't think so. But it doesn't hurt to be vigilant.

llamasmall.jpg

On the Tag Cache page, you mentioned, "Your job as "IT", is to find the cache using the coordinates you have been given and any map YOU create."

What do you mean by "using...any map YOU create?" I'm just a little confused by that part of it. icon_confused.gif

---

Lawrence

On the Tag Cache page, you mentioned, "Your job as "IT", is to find the cache using the coordinates you have been given and any map YOU create."

What do you mean by "using...any map YOU create?" I'm just a little confused by that part of it. icon_confused.gif

---

Lawrence

....if you are IT, it is because you were chosen to go for the cache, but the coordinates (at least for the first person) are not real coordinates. SO, the first person will have to generate a map at home (if they want to)....of course they can just plug it in to the gps and go for it without a map, but it helps to have some idea of where you're headed.

When the 1st person places the cache in a new location, my understanding is that they will let McIrish know and she will put the true 2nd set of coordinates in the web page....then the 2nd person goes for it.

Well, that's my understanding...if I'm wrong, I apologize and will delete this post if it is too confusing to anyone.

Ron

quote:

---

Lawrence

The coordinates of the cache will not be put up on the geocaching web page. The correct coordinates will be emailed to the person that is "IT". Therefore, no map will be created by MapQuest automatically. You will have to take the coordinates that are sent to you when you are "IT" and plug the correct coordinates it to a sight like Topo Zone (or some other map sight) to create your own map... Make sense???

icon_confused.gif

quote:

---

Lawrence

The coordinates of the cache will not be put up on the geocaching web page. The correct coordinates will be emailed to the person that is "IT". Therefore, no map will be created by MapQuest automatically. You will have to take the coordinates that are sent to you when you are "IT" and plug the correct coordinates it to a sight like Topo Zone (or some other map sight) to create your own map... Make sense???

icon_confused.gif

Well, your close Ron, but not exactly. The "REAL" coordinates will not be known to anyone but the person who it "IT". You may post where you found the cache, but the coordinates where you place the cache will be emailed to the next "IT". I suppose I could post the last coordinates once the cache has been moved, but I don't think the real coordinates should ever be posted. Everyone will have to generate their own map. icon_eek.gif

Well, your close Ron, but not exactly. The "REAL" coordinates will not be known to anyone but the person who it "IT". You may post where you found the cache, but the coordinates where you place the cache will be emailed to the next "IT". I suppose I could post the last coordinates once the cache has been moved, but I don't think the real coordinates should ever be posted. Everyone will have to generate their own map. icon_eek.gif

.....fans can now find us at the following URL:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000938983&m=9790927054&r=2570967054#2570967054

This is the new home of Central Valley Cachers !

We went to 12 pages in our 2nd of two Stockton/Modesto forums so we decided to change the name and go to a third set of pages.

Hope you'll join us there from time to time.

Ron (Tag...find the Central Valley Cachers)

....is in a new home.

When you check out the new description, look at the bottom of the page for a red link to ....The Tomb Of A Million Souls !

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?id=19926&LID=305909

If you can not access the page it is because the geocaching gods have not yet reactivated it. Should be done by the end of Thursday the 9th I would think.

May Rah be with you.

I just read a response that McIrish posted to a thread by Anton in New York State.

McIrish commented that caching seemed to be getting off to a slow start and that she hoped it picked up.

My take:

I just did 7 caches along the American River yesterday (Memorial Day) and have to admit my heart wasn't in it like the old days (a year ago).

Maybe it was because I biked 20 miles, fell off the bike once and almost fell into poison oak, but the "thrill" didn't seem to be there quite as much.

The weed seeds didn't help either !

I have been spending some time with a group of cachers from the Oakdale, Modesto, Ceres, patterson area the last few months and I have to say our caching differs somewhat from what I used to do.

We seem to be challenging each othe quite a bit with difficult microcaches and just fun, different ideas. This has kept the interest alive a bit.

Though I found some challenging caches on my most recent trip, I think that like any "hobby", interest starts to wain and that's why people move on to new interests.

I haven't seen the interest in the forum here like I thought I would as an example. Some of the names I remember from some months back don't seem active yet either...or maybe just not active in the forum.

Since it is going to be really hot soon, this would seem to be the time of year to cache. Personally, I'm thinking fall and winter is the best. I'd rather fight some wind and rain and cold than mush through those stickers and be sweating and watching out for poison oak patches so much.

Any thoughts Sacramento?

Ron

(Feb, 2001....73 hidden/253 found)

The forums do seem a bit quiet, but personally speaking, my interest hasn't wained. I just have to find the time! What with business, federal disaster team, teaching computer classes, having company over... whew... I just need to get out and do some serious caching.

Lately its been a lot of cache maintenance and replacement. The Llamas keep disappearing! icon_mad.gif

Ah well... maybe this weekend! icon_biggrin.gif

llamasmall.jpg

The forums do seem a bit quiet, but personally speaking, my interest hasn't wained. I just have to find the time! What with business, federal disaster team, teaching computer classes, having company over... whew... I just need to get out and do some serious caching.

Lately its been a lot of cache maintenance and replacement. The Llamas keep disappearing! icon_mad.gif

Ah well... maybe this weekend! icon_biggrin.gif

llamasmall.jpg

I'm still addicted, but I'm going to mostly go on ones in the mountains to coincide with summer hikes. THe foxtails must die before I do more than the current ones like Waldo's Poker and Lego Challenge that once started need to be finished. Would like to take a boat out to Folsom to finish ones we haven't hiked to. Too hot here in the Valley for full day caching! Hope to go to the coast once also. A picnic to meet cachers would be nice while we wait for better conditions. However, I'm probably going to start a job in August that will kill my free time until mid-Nov.