Caching in/around Sacramento, CA -2002

The 19th

Looking to start a conversation among Sacramento area cachers here. Any Sacramento area cachers watching/reading these forums? I've been trying to seed the...

whoops... I didn't want to recycle that much of the old thread!

Anyway, I heard a few people at the dinner saying they were going to go out this weekend... Heck, even during this Spring Break! What's news? I am definitely going out this weekend, what with the great weather coming up.

nally posted by techtreker:

I went out today, and had a wonderful time. Which leads to my question. Does anyone know how to get the poison oak oils off of leather/suede hiking boots?

I just toss mine in the washing machine (gentle cycle), then let them sit in the sun to dry. If you're apprehensive about doing that, then make a mild detergent solution (dish soap and water would work) and just sponge them off with it.

- Rent

quote:
Originally posted by Rent:

I just toss mine in the washing machine (gentle cycle), then let them sit in the sun to dry.

This works for leather?

Explorers are we, intrepid and bold,

Out in the wild, amongst wonders untold.

Equipped with our wits, a map, and a snack,

We're searching for fun we're on the right track!

-The Indispensible Calvin & Hobbes

quote:
This works for leather?

It does, particularly if it's the thin stuff. I mean, how many times have you totally soaked your boots by stepping into a puddle anyway? icon_biggrin.gif

Go easy on the detergent though... or treat the leather with saddle soap or snow seal after, to keep it from drying out. And DO NOT put them in the dryer.

- Rent

quote:
This works for leather?

It does, particularly if it's the thin stuff. I mean, how many times have you totally soaked your boots by stepping into a puddle anyway? icon_biggrin.gif

Go easy on the detergent though... or treat the leather with saddle soap or snow seal after, to keep it from drying out. And DO NOT put them in the dryer.

- Rent

quote:
What is the waypoint (and zip code) for the Sailor Bar cache?

There are actually 5 caches in that area. Look for Northside 1 by MikieP, and from that page click on 'find nearby caches.'

The others are:

Half Way

Northside 2

The Joker

Nathaniel's Cache

MAP and I got them all yesterday. It was beautiful out there... lots of poppies.

- Rent

Anybody in Sacramento interested in doing a group buy on ammo boxes. I have a place (MajorSurplus.com) that sells them in sets of 4 for around $16.00. With the shipping added in they come real close to $5.00 each. The price is pretty much the same for either 30cal (the narrow ones) or 50cal (the big ones) boxes.

If there is enough interest, I can just order a bunch and you all can come over and pick yours up when they arrive.

icon_biggrin.gif

- Rent

Anybody in Sacramento interested in doing a group buy on ammo boxes. I have a place (MajorSurplus.com) that sells them in sets of 4 for around $16.00. With the shipping added in they come real close to $5.00 each. The price is pretty much the same for either 30cal (the narrow ones) or 50cal (the big ones) boxes.

If there is enough interest, I can just order a bunch and you all can come over and pick yours up when they arrive.

icon_biggrin.gif

- Rent

I'll join in. Can I get two large and three small for now? I know it's not a multiple of four, but if it causes too much trouble in billing, I'll be happy to forego one of the small ones.

---

Lawrence

I would put something funny here, but not now.

quote:

Logging out and logging back in seems to have done the trick. icon_wink.gif

I noticed that non-Internet Explorer/Netscape browsers have problems, even after logging out and back in. I have a whole thread in another forum trying to get my stuff straightened out.

---

Lawrence

quote:

Logging out and logging back in seems to have done the trick. icon_wink.gif

I noticed that non-Internet Explorer/Netscape browsers have problems, even after logging out and back in. I have a whole thread in another forum trying to get my stuff straightened out.

---

Lawrence

Well dang it... they bumped up the price of the 50 cal ammo boxes to $26.95 for four. The price is still decent but no longer phenomenal. I ordered them, but in the future, I'll probably stick with the 30 cal boxes. Which are currently $11.95 for four. Unless of course I find another source...

So, figuring in shipping and tax, it looks like the 50 cal boxes are about $9.00 each and the 30 cal are about $4.00 each.

Does that still suit you guys? Feel free to back out. I'll eventually use all of them. icon_rolleyes.gif

- Rent

Well dang it... they bumped up the price of the 50 cal ammo boxes to $26.95 for four. The price is still decent but no longer phenomenal. I ordered them, but in the future, I'll probably stick with the 30 cal boxes. Which are currently $11.95 for four. Unless of course I find another source...

So, figuring in shipping and tax, it looks like the 50 cal boxes are about $9.00 each and the 30 cal are about $4.00 each.

Does that still suit you guys? Feel free to back out. I'll eventually use all of them. icon_rolleyes.gif

- Rent

quote:

Well dang it... they bumped up the price of the 50 cal ammo boxes to $26.95 for four. The price is still decent but no longer phenomenal.

- Rent

You might want to look at Cheaper than dirt (www.cheaperthandirt.com) They have the 50 cal boxes for $3.99 (same price for 30 cal). Shipping is based on total cost so it might/might not be cheaper overall. I've ordered from them once and had no problems (well, I not get catalogs from them in the mail).

Bob

--

Bob & Genny

quote:
Originally posted by Trickster and Red Rover:

You might want to look at Cheaper than dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) They have the 50 cal boxes for $3.99 (same price for 30 cal). Shipping is based on total cost so it might/might not be cheaper overall. I've ordered from them once and had no problems (well, I not get catalogs from them in the mail).

NOW you tell me! icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Trickster and Red Rover:

You might want to look at Cheaper than dirt (http://www.cheaperthandirt.com) They have the 50 cal boxes for $3.99 (same price for 30 cal). Shipping is based on total cost so it might/might not be cheaper overall. I've ordered from them once and had no problems (well, I not get catalogs from them in the mail).

NOW you tell me! icon_biggrin.gif

I tried a test order at cheaperthandirt.com for four 50cal ammo boxes and ended up with a final price with shipping of $27.99... so $7.00 each. Not a HUGE difference, but I will probably order there in the future.

I may experiment with getting the shipping down by ordering a larger quantity.

- Rent

llamasmall.jpg

Your llama pic above reminds me of one of my ol' dogs... It was a mutt, small, white. I remember calling it a cotton ball with legs because that's what it looked like. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, yes, I think I'll change the order and go with two (2) small and one (1) large ammo boxes.

---

Lawrence

Your llama pic above reminds me of one of my ol' dogs... It was a mutt, small, white. I remember calling it a cotton ball with legs because that's what it looked like. icon_confused.gif

Anyway, yes, I think I'll change the order and go with two (2) small and one (1) large ammo boxes.

---

Lawrence

My original cache, Run Llama Run, went missing last week. MAP and I went and checked the whole area... No cache. I replaced the cache with a new cache in the same spot.

Now, according to the latest cacher to visit, the cache is back again! So there are TWO cache containers there at the same spot. Is that wierd or what?

Not only that... this is the second time this has happened to one of my caches. My cache in Oregon, Domo Arigato (Mr. Rogue-ato), had the exact same thing happen.

Has this happened to anybody else or am I cursed (or blessed... take your pick)? icon_eek.gif

llamasmall.jpg

My original cache, Run Llama Run, went missing last week. MAP and I went and checked the whole area... No cache. I replaced the cache with a new cache in the same spot.

Now, according to the latest cacher to visit, the cache is back again! So there are TWO cache containers there at the same spot. Is that wierd or what?

Not only that... this is the second time this has happened to one of my caches. My cache in Oregon, Domo Arigato (Mr. Rogue-ato), had the exact same thing happen.

Has this happened to anybody else or am I cursed (or blessed... take your pick)? icon_eek.gif

llamasmall.jpg

... have been posted for both Lake Hills Treasure Cove

(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3945)

and

Folsom Prison Breakout Blues (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9191).

We picked up the cameras last weekend, got the pictures back Wed. and posted them to the logs of each of cache. There are a bunch of unknowns there. Take a look and if one of the unknowns is you, send us e-mail and we'll update the picture title.

The scans were done low-res but if you want a higher-res copy of your pic. let us know.

Or, if you want one destroyed, maybe we can work out a deal icon_biggrin.gif

--

Bob & Genny

... have been posted for both Lake Hills Treasure Cove

(http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3945)

and

Folsom Prison Breakout Blues (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=9191).

We picked up the cameras last weekend, got the pictures back Wed. and posted them to the logs of each of cache. There are a bunch of unknowns there. Take a look and if one of the unknowns is you, send us e-mail and we'll update the picture title.

The scans were done low-res but if you want a higher-res copy of your pic. let us know.

Or, if you want one destroyed, maybe we can work out a deal icon_biggrin.gif

--

Bob & Genny

quote:

My original cache, _Run Llama Run_, went missing last week. MAP and I went and checked the whole area... No cache. I replaced the cache with a new cache in the same spot.

Not only that... this is the second time this has happened to one of my caches. My cache in Oregon, _Domo Arigato (Mr. Rogue-ato)_, had the exact same thing happen.

http://www.macnexus.org/users/davidpeterson/llamasmall.jpg

Oh, it's not missing. We found the caches, the only one was out in the open, so it was spotted first. My daughter spotted the second one as she wandered around.

george

quote:

My original cache, _Run Llama Run_, went missing last week. MAP and I went and checked the whole area... No cache. I replaced the cache with a new cache in the same spot.

Not only that... this is the second time this has happened to one of my caches. My cache in Oregon, _Domo Arigato (Mr. Rogue-ato)_, had the exact same thing happen.

http://www.macnexus.org/users/davidpeterson/llamasmall.jpg

Oh, it's not missing. We found the caches, the only one was out in the open, so it was spotted first. My daughter spotted the second one as she wandered around.

george

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

You've lost your way in the chain of events. icon_rolleyes.gif

The cache WAS missing. I went out there and checked for myself, and then replaced it. After that Ron Streeter came up from Stockton and logged the new cache.

But sometime between Ron and you guys, somebody brought it back! That's why you found TWO caches there. This morning I went and picked up the old cache (the new one is better anyway). icon_wink.gif

llamasmall.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

You've lost your way in the chain of events. icon_rolleyes.gif

The cache WAS missing. I went out there and checked for myself, and then replaced it. After that Ron Streeter came up from Stockton and logged the new cache.

But sometime between Ron and you guys, somebody brought it back! That's why you found TWO caches there. This morning I went and picked up the old cache (the new one is better anyway). icon_wink.gif

llamasmall.jpg