Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Hi All...

Most of you here I suspect I don't know, but I am getting back into using my gps a bit so will hit these forums now and again.

If you look back at the first page of this thread you will see the tick magnet and I am the second poster...Eureka !

This was way back in May of 2002 and now almost 8 years later I'm breaking out the old yellow eTrex and starting to work with maps again. Geocaching will be part of that, but I'm at the moment figuring out again how to load coords into an Excel spreadsheet and then into the eTrex for export to Delorme Topo4 and later Topo7 when it arrives in a week or so.

Anyway, longwinded, but I could use some help in terms of programs to use to do all this. I remember a smiley face being associated with one of them....but that's about it.

Any help for an oldtimer ? Thanks.

Hi All...

Most of you here I suspect I don't know, but I am getting back into using my gps a bit so will hit these forums now and again.

If you look back at the first page of this thread you will see the tick magnet and I am the second poster...Eureka !

This was way back in May of 2002 and now almost 8 years later I'm breaking out the old yellow eTrex and starting to work with maps again. Geocaching will be part of that, but I'm at the moment figuring out again how to load coords into an Excel spreadsheet and then into the eTrex for export to Delorme Topo4 and later Topo7 when it arrives in a week or so.

Anyway, longwinded, but I could use some help in terms of programs to use to do all this. I remember a smiley face being associated with one of them....but that's about it.

Hi Ron,

Seems to me like you're taking the long way around. I'd try taking a peek at GSAK - it's dynamite.

BTW - welcome back! I've been doin' this since 2004 and have enjoyed finding at least 26 of your hides.

Hi All...

Hey Ron,

Seems like you are taking the long road around using excel and all that.

I'd take a peek at using GSAK - it's dynamite!

BTW - welcome back! I've been doin' this since 2004 and have enjoyed finding at least 26 of your caches! :(

Hey Ron,

BTW - welcome back! I've been doin' this since 2004 and have enjoyed finding at least 26 of your caches! :(

That shows you how out of touch I am !

I found the links at geocaching.com for some software and have been fooling around with them again, but will try your suggestion.

I noticed at the website that there are about 997,000 caches now. Makes me doubly proud to say that my Blue Top cache here in N. CA was the 644th cache placed in the world. A lot has changed !

Ron

Edited by Ron Streeter

Hey Ron,

Downloaded the Swiss Army Knife of Geocaching and it looks like it meets up to its name !

I am going to do some rock-hounding in southern California and want to load a bunch of waypoints into

a file (easy typing) and then transfer it over to the yellow eTrex (museum piece) and then to a topo program

so I have a nice big laptop screen for overviews of the area.

Will also do a little geocaching there to get back into it...including of course placing a cache way out in the middle of a geode field .... might be the easiest thing for a geode hunter to find !

Hey Ron,

Downloaded the Swiss Army Knife of Geocaching and it looks like it meets up to its name !

I am going to do some rock-hounding in southern California and want to load a bunch of waypoints into

a file (easy typing) and then transfer it over to the yellow eTrex (museum piece) and then to a topo program

so I have a nice big laptop screen for overviews of the area.

Will also do a little geocaching there to get back into it...including of course placing a cache way out in the middle of a geode field .... might be the easiest thing for a geode hunter to find !

welcome back Ron. Would love to see you put out some caches in this area agian. Love your caches. my fave probably is gung ho fat choy I am sure.

welcome back Ron. Would love to see you put out some caches in this area agian. Love your caches. my fave probably is gung ho fat choy I am sure.

Thanks....a lot of people have commented on that one over the years. Another favorite of mine is Only On Sunday.

I am headed for New Mexico for a week of hiking but won't be doing any caching there. My hiking partner doesn't have any patience for looking for them let alone placing them.

Then I think I'll be going rock hounding either in southern CA or in NV, so it will be a month or more before I place a cache.

Please stand. The honorable Ron Streeter, one of CVC's founding fathers, past Geocaching Top Cacher in the World, Devious Hides, Clever Caches, has entered the forums.

It's great to hear you're back Ron. I've missed you and was just talking about old times with Tag when the conversation turned to you. We knew you were still lurking but both hoped that one day you'd return. I look forward to chatting when you are ready of need help.

Welcome back.

Please stand. The honorable Ron Streeter, one of CVC's founding fathers, past Geocaching Top Cacher in the World, Devious Hides, Clever Caches, has entered the forums.

It's great to hear you're back Ron. I've missed you and was just talking about old times with Tag when the conversation turned to you. We knew you were still lurking but both hoped that one day you'd return. I look forward to chatting when you are ready of need help.

Welcome back.

Thanks guy....with a glowing review like that I'd better come up with a challenging cache for the CVC crew...but it will be awhile. Years ago when I stopped hiding I had in mind ...the smallest cache in the world...now all I have to do is find it myself in the litter of my office ! Hint: it is less than .5 inches long and appx 1/8" in diameter but contains space for either a log or a note with a code word...it would not be for the faint of heart but giant kudos go to those who would find it. :blink:

Ron

Edited by Ron Streeter

Welcome back.

Thanks guy....with a glowing review like that I'd better come up with a challenging cache for the CVC crew...but it will be awhile. Years ago when I stopped hiding I had in mind ...the smallest cache in the world...now all I have to do is find it myself in the litter of my office ! Hint: it is less than .5 inches long and appx 1/8" in diameter but contains space for either a log or a note with a code word...it would not be for the faint of heart but giant kudos go to those who would find it. :)

Ron

unfortunately they do not alow any more of the code caches. They now say that there has to be a log in them. the ones that have codes like your gung ho is grandfathered in. but looking forward to the hunt

unfortunately they do not alow any more of the code caches. They now say that there has to be a log in them. the ones that have codes like your gung ho is grandfathered in. but looking forward to the hunt

Well, people would have to just put a single symbol AND email me for the go ahead once they read the "secret word" :)

Thanks for the heads up !

Well, people would have to just put a single symbol AND email me for the go ahead once they read the "secret word" :)

Actually Ron. one of the ways I saw it done recently was that the person just put another set of cords into the tiny one and made it a multi. This might be a thought.

What should be done when you find that some one is loging finds but is not signing the log? ;)

It's up to you of course, but we had a rash of that when some folks from SoCal attended Geowoodstock a couple years back. Seems like the group that actually found some caches was a small subset of those who logged them.

Here's what some of us did:

1) Asked them to describe the container or something significant about the cache.

If they didn't reply, or gave some lame excuse like, "I found so many that day, I don't remember anything" or some even replied "Just delete my find."

We deleted the logs.

2) Others of our group just retrieved the logs and deleted any finders whose signature wasn't on it.

3) And others just ignored it.

Edited by Photom

What should be done when you find that some one is loging finds but is not signing the log? ;)

Are they YOUR caches? Or someone else's that you've become aware of. If NOT yours, I'd say let the owner know and they can decide how to handle it. If they're yours, I love all of Tom's ideas.

They've done this more than one time (and not likely by mistake)?? I'd delete every last one of their finds and report them the Geocaching, plus slander their caching name on the forums!!

But maybe it's just the meds I'm on. I had a successful knee surgery today so I might have a lowered tolerance right now for scamsters. ;)

They've done this more than one time (and not likely by mistake)?? I'd delete every last one of their finds and report them the Geocaching, plus slander their caching name on the forums!!

But maybe it's just the meds I'm on. I had a successful knee surgery today so I might have a lowered tolerance right now for scamsters. ;)

LOL! Two scoops of whoopa** with a side of slander! DELICIOUS! :):mad::mad:

Glad your spirits are up after the knee surgery...even if it IS the meds talking, ha ha...speedy recovery!!

:anicute:B) 660 caches in 48 hours any one else want to try it with Deranja and I. we are going to do it the easy way make them all drive up caches B)B)

I looked at that string on the map...you can't even fit them all on the map because your "query is more than 500 caches" lol...you have to zoom in pretty far to see any! That's crazy. When are you guys going?

Well, people would have to just put a single symbol AND email me for the go ahead once they read the "secret word" :anicute:

Actually Ron. one of the ways I saw it done recently was that the person just put another set of cords into the tiny one and made it a multi. This might be a thought.

Welcome back Ron. I just wanted to add that if it is to small for a log, a multicache re-director is the way to go.Fact is my other persona has been thinking of just that sort of thing and now with Ron's statement of worlds smallest I just may have to join in to make the smallest re-director. Bring it on Ron and CVC

Welcome back.

Thanks guy....with a glowing review like that I'd better come up with a challenging cache for the CVC crew...but it will be awhile. Years ago when I stopped hiding I had in mind ...the smallest cache in the world...now all I have to do is find it myself in the litter of my office ! Hint: it is less than .5 inches long and appx 1/8" in diameter but contains space for either a log or a note with a code word...it would not be for the faint of heart but giant kudos go to those who would find it. :anicute:

Ron

I'll tell you what.... When Ron comes back into the forumns I do feel like standing at attention. He is like the General of CVC land. (And BOGA is like te Captain along with Fatthur ANd George & Mary)

Welcome back Ron!!! Glad to see you getting back into the swing of things!

copied right from the log of GC17WY1

:( January 2 by pa-11trent (291 found)

This one is hilarious, loved it!. I can't imagin the work that went into this one. Did not sign log for obvious reasons. TFTC

Well, Looking back at there logs back to January, I found one double find log on GC1ZJKP for 3/2/10 and 3/4/10 but for all the other American caches it looks like they sign and note it (based on their log entry on the caches only).

The obvious reason that they didn't sign the log on Holy Macro was that they didn't find it and need their find deleted. It is the rules in Geocaching that you sign the log if the cache has one and as my photograph proved, there is a log. Just a bear to find and coming back later to try again is starting the entire search over again! Nasty idea for a cache and I'm only sorry that I didn't think of it first! :D

copied right from the log of GC17WY1

:grin: January 2 by pa-11trent (291 found)

This one is hilarious, loved it!. I can't imagin the work that went into this one. Did not sign log for obvious reasons. TFTC

Well, Looking back at there logs back to January, I found one double find log on GC1ZJKP for 3/2/10 and 3/4/10 but for all the other American caches it looks like they sign and note it (based on their log entry on the caches only).

The obvious reason that they didn't sign the log on Holy Macro was that they didn't find it and need their find deleted. It is the rules in Geocaching that you sign the log if the cache has one and as my photograph proved, there is a log. Just a bear to find and coming back later to try again is starting the entire search over again! Nasty idea for a cache and I'm only sorry that I didn't think of it first! :wub:

I agree with BOGA they didn't find it as per the instructions on the cache page itself even. I also agree that I wish I had thought of it myself!!

OK so that run in sothern calif is a little more difficult then we thought. but we did manage to get about 70 and we got to use the first aid kit a couple of times.

LMAO... Well you beat Tami and I, we only managed 1 while we were there. Hope the first aid thing did not involve and catus. They can be real mean.

Edited by Team Red Jeep

OK so that run in sothern calif is a little more difficult then we thought. but we did manage to get about 70 and we got to use the first aid kit a couple of times.

LMAO... Well you beat Tami and I, we only managed 1 while we were there. Hope the first aid thing did not involve and catus. They can be real mean.

it was more of a disagreement between a dirt bike and a rock. even after the wreck we got at least 65 caches

It Looks like we have been challenged.

this is from a cacher in Bakersfield area.

Wesley Morris wrote: Does the CVC crew have what it takes to come down and challenge the Kern County group? We would love to have some of you represent. Come on down on Saturday April 24.

GC23TQN WSRPD 2010 Caching Event (Event Cache) in California, United States created by WSRPD

Im up for a road trip Greg! Wahoo!!!!

Not sure what is in the air here in Modesto BUT poeple are down right grumpy out here.

People getting mad about someone finding an FTF and not logging it within 2 hours. Sending emails to people and posting it in their find log. I mean seriously. This is an internet game. Let me say that again THIS IS AN INTERNET GAME!!!

People getting mad at a newbie that SAID they are a newbie and can't figure out how to change the coordinates. Instead of jumping on them how about helping people. Offer to show them how to do the coordinate change via the website. Then maybe it will happen.

If you aren't part of the solution then you are just part of the problem.

Hi, I just stumbled upon this thread. I'm down in Lemoore if you don't already know me.

One question. Does the central valley want more Wherigo caches?

I have not looked for long time regarding whereigos are there any in the central valley now?

So I did a search of Wherigo caches from my zip code here in modesto. The search yielded ZERO results.

Hi everyone. We've been gone for a while, but have the bug once again. Amazing when I logged in and saw my profile picture, etc. Eight years ago! I'm not sure who we'd know on here anymore, but I noticed Ron is back at it.

Using the Android app "GeOrg" and it makes it SOOOOOO easy. Long gone are the days of punching in coordinates or even looking at the site much! It's all there!

Hope to get in contact with friends from the past as well as new ones!

One advantage is all the caches around me are new to us!!!!