Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I'm not sure Tom, but I certainly was entertained (much like attending a sporting event) when you and Doug were tar and feathered! :laughing::wub::wub:

Wouldn't it be the other way around? It is the GAME, hobby, or activity (geocaching) that leads you the the SPORT (hiking to find a cache, racing to be FTF, etc.)? :):D
OK guys, here's the question to ponder for a while:

a] Is tarring a game or a sport?

b] Is feathering a game or a sport?

c] Does it matter whether you are the tarree/fetheree or the tarrer/featherer? :)

Hi I just wanted you all to know that the REI in Stockton is holding a class on Tuesday night on Basic GPS. So if you are looking for a GPS or have one and wnat to know more about it. It starts at 7pm. I think I might be going. I can always learn something. REI GPS class

Boy, after the day Sanruft and I had a couple of weeks ago, I sure wouldn't mind some of the local cachers taking this class. We were walking around in the 104 heat, me in a surgical shoe with a banged-up foot and us finding caches up to 500 feet off of the mark! :blink: The situation would have been a lot more comical if it hadn't been so hot and painful!

:blink: WOW...Team Judd is back on the forums! :) Nice to see you back in here!

Some do need to actually take the coords, test them and keep redoing them until they get to about 3'. That is what I do. However, some times it is NOT always the cache owner. It can be the cache finder's GPS. I know for a fact that when I marked Balboa for Super Grrl I got down to 1'. There was something up with your GPS's that day. Not to mention all the power lines in the area. I'm sorry you were in pain. I hope it all gets better soon.

I wish I was available to go see what they have to say. Ok, no I don't. I will be caching with my buddy Blindbutnowisee.

Edited by Wolf Grrl

Not likely the GPS's...especially when it is mutliple ones zeroing out in the same spot. :)

:blink: WOW...Team Judd is back on the forums! :D Nice to see you back in here!

Some do need to actually take the coords, test them and keep redoing them until they get to about 3'. That is what I do. However, some times it is NOT always the cache owner. It can be the cache finder's GPS. I know for a fact that when I marked Balboa for Super Grrl I got down to 1'. There was something up with your GPS's that day. Not to mention all the power lines in the area. I'm sorry you were in pain. I hope it all gets better soon.

I wish I was available to go see what they have to say. Ok, no I don't. I will be caching with my buddy Blindbutnowisee.

Not likely the GPS's...especially when it is mutliple ones zeroing out in the same spot. :)

:) WOW...Team Judd is back on the forums! :) Nice to see you back in here!

I once was at a cache that I had found earlier (when the GPSr was dead on) and I was letting another cacher find it... he was zeroing out about 50 feet from the cache so I shamed him, turned my GPSr on and found my GPSr was having the same error.

Later, we were looking for another cache and DNFed until we decided to use the 50 correction at the other cache and bingo! Dead on as corrected. How can it be that only on that one day was there this problem and the correction worked at two different locations?!

I think the GPSystem has it's moments - although not frequent - where you aren't going to be able to explain things. :)

Bill, that's funny that you mention being off by 50 feet...just this morning Tim and I were laughing about the day out that I mentioned, and that had the cache been 50 feet away it would have been no big deal (especially for a seasoned cacher like him :) ). But the worst one was 500 feet off. That's five zero zero feet (actually it was 522, but who keeps track past 500? :) ).

Btw- nothing negative aimed at whomever's cache that was; we've all had quirky things happen with that cursed piece of technology we carry. It was just a funny moment: me hobbling around like Igor (pronounced "eye-gore"), both of us dripping with sweat and Tim showing mercy on me by giving himself a 30 yard head start towards the cache!

..... How can it be that only on that one day was there this problem and the correction worked at two different locations?!...

I say SPACE JUNK! :)

Much like the trouble a hotdog wrapper stuck to the grill of a racecar causes in NASCAR!

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!

I think the GPSystem has it's moments - although not frequent - where you aren't going to be able to explain things. ;)

Bill, with your permission, I'd like to steal that line to use for all my DNF's:

"I think the GPSystem has it's moments - although not frequent - where you aren't going to be able to explain things, like why I couldn't find this cache."

:P

I think the GPSystem has it's moments - although not frequent - where you aren't going to be able to explain things. :P

Bill, with your permission, I'd like to steal that line to use for all my DNF's:

"I think the GPSystem has it's moments - although not frequent - where you aren't going to be able to explain things, like why I couldn't find this cache."

;)

I am liking the hot dog wrapper analogy.

Any time you mix hot dogs, nascar race cars and satellites, something has to be out of wack and it results in a dnf :P

I think the GPSystem has it's moments - although not frequent - where you aren't going to be able to explain things. :P

Granted. ;)

Edited by Green Achers

Ganted. ;)

Thank you, old legendary one. :)

OK so I was off for a long time and this conversation was held a long time ago BUT here is something I found on the definition of "sport

SPORT DEFINITION http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sport

If you look ad definition #1 it includes GOLF and if you look at definition #3 that certainly would include Caching...

SO both are sports..

I've got your back on this one Greg...It is definitely a sport.

I have heard that they may introduce Geocaching in the next Olympics! :laughing:

Now if that happens would they develop a test to rule out cheaters (like cycling & doping)? :)

WHATEVER you do, do not try searching the internet to find the difference between a game and a sport. You may find something like this:

You're confused because the word GAME has several meanings. You can

play a game of sports, but you can't sport a game. To illustrate

this, think of the Olympics. They are called the OLYMPIC GAMES. All

the competitions are in specific Sports.

The GAME is that world-class athletes --all good at different SPORTS

--COMPETE for medals, and future endorsements.

Pocket Billiards is a sport, and you can play different games [rule

sets] within the sport: 8-ball, 9-ball, etc.. [for those that

disagree, Pocket Billiards has been declared a Sport by the **Olympic

Committee **

Football is a sport, and when you watch it, it's a game of football.

Swimming is a sport, and there is no game of Swimming. Even a Swim

gathering is not a game, it's a Swim Meet. This is the same for

fishing, rollerskating, skiing and similiar activities.

In a game you can blame the referee (or the luck of the cards). In a

sport, win or lose, you always put forth your best effort.

Baseball is the sport, the "World Series" is a Baseball Game.

=======================================================================

Game, sport, hobby, or activity? I can see it called 3 out of 4 here. I believe it is the SPORT (hiking, racing, etc.) that lead you to the GAME, hobby, or activity (geocaching). I just can't see why people can't undertand this. Just my two cents... :D I hope nobody gets offended. B)

PS The story from an earlier post was typed in good fun.

It looks like we have a new family joining our addiction. RidinFam made their first find ever on one of my caches a few days ago, and since then have hit a few more in the area. I sent them an email welcoming them to the hobby and told them how to find us here. Hopefully they will catch the bug and stick around for quite a while.

It looks like we have a new family joining our addiction. RidinFam made their first find ever on one of my caches a few days ago, and since then have hit a few more in the area. I sent them an email welcoming them to the hobby and told them how to find us here. Hopefully they will catch the bug and stick around for quite a while.

YAY! It would be GREAT to have a couple other "new" people around!

YAY! It would be GREAT to have a couple other "new" people around!'
:D:laughing::) Where's my lawyer?? Ted?? That sound's like discrimination against us OLD folks. Ted, help! :DB):D

L B)L! Ummm, I meant: "It would be GREAT to have someone else with me to witness the greatness of the EXPERT cachers in this group!"

Yeah yeah!! THAT's the ticket!!!

L :laughing:L! Ummm, I meant: "It would be GREAT to have someone else with me to witness the greatness of the EXPERT cachers in this group!"

:) Hey this legal threat stuff really works! Thanks Ted! :D Edited by Photom

In one of their logs they mentioned how much fun their son had finding the cache. That is what gets me REALLY jazzed; seeing families out having a good time and getting the kids away from the computer/video games.

In one of their logs they mentioned how much fun their son had finding the cache. That is what gets me REALLY jazzed; seeing families out having a good time and getting the kids away from the computer/video games.

I believe it...my 9yo daughter is FANATICAL about caching now and INSISTED she needed to have her own username on here, so all her finds can be documented. She said "I don't want it to look like I'm new when I'm like 14 or something and get my own GPS for my birthday. I'll probably have like 600 or something by then!"

So "TinkyBug" is technically a registered user here, and when we get back from caching each time, I help her log in, and enter her finds. Some of her comments are pretty funny.

I just love how this hobby is something you can do with "whoever is handy"...got a friend over for the weekend? Take 'em caching! LOVE it...so glad I got sucked in!

L :DL! Ummm, I meant: "It would be GREAT to have someone else with me to witness the greatness of the EXPERT cachers in this group!"

:( Hey this legal threat stuff really works! Thanks Ted! ;)

Wow! That has to be the easiest legal work I've ever done. :) By the way Tom, where should I send the bill. :D

L :DL! Ummm, I meant: "It would be GREAT to have someone else with me to witness the greatness of the EXPERT cachers in this group!"

:( Hey this legal threat stuff really works! Thanks Ted! ;)

Wow! That has to be the easiest legal work I've ever done. :) By the way Tom, where should I send the bill. :D

Ted:

Bill the farmer

Green Achers

Ripon, CA 95366

Tell TinkyBug congrats on the new account and ask her why she has to wait until she 14 to get her own gps? :)

I don't think I will get away with that. Niklas and I went out today and he had Raatler's Legend and found Spare Me. He is 4 now, I don't think I will hold him off until 14.

Maybe since you are setting the standard at 14, I can hold them to it, or maybe I can get a country music damaged gps for him real cheap :ph34r:

Tell TinkyBug congrats on the new account and ask her why she has to wait until she 14 to get her own gps? :ph34r:

I don't think I will get away with that. Niklas and I went out today and he had Raatler's Legend and found Spare Me. He is 4 now, I don't think I will hold him off until 14.

Maybe since you are setting the standard at 14, I can hold them to it, or maybe I can get a country music damaged gps for him real cheap :)

"Country music damaged gps" LOL ...OK I see how you are! :huh: As for Katie, I don't know where she came up with "14" actually! She just threw it out there! You're definitely in trouble with a 4yo already out there. The sooner kids these days learn about a technology, the sooner they want it. My stepdaughter got a cellphone on her 17th b'day...somehow the stepson got his at 14. Katie's sure she'll get hers by 11 now (because "each kid is minus three years, right?"). I'm sure she'll realize she should/could start demanding that GPS sooner than 14, but right now I'm off the hook because there isn't a Hannah Montana or Jonas Brothers model. (phew!) :)

L :)L! Ummm, I meant: "It would be GREAT to have someone else with me to witness the greatness of the EXPERT cachers in this group!"

:huh: Hey this legal threat stuff really works! Thanks Ted! :D

Wow! That has to be the easiest legal work I've ever done. :ph34r: By the way Tom, where should I send the bill. :)

Ted:

Bill the farmer

Green Achers

Ripon, CA 95366

So... A lawyer dies and gets met at the gates of hevan. St. Peter meets him and says , looks like you've lived a full life. The lawyer replies, 'Full life? I'm hardly 40 years old. How can you say I've had a full life? After double checking the records, St. Peter says, 'Well, according to your billable hours, you're over 100!'

Now I'm going back to my work shop. Lots to do.

:anibad: Hey this legal threat stuff really works! Thanks Ted! :)

Wow! That has to be the easiest legal work I've ever done. :D By the way Tom, where should I send the bill. :D

Ted:

Bill the farmer

Green Achers

Ripon, CA 95366

So... A lawyer dies and gets met at the gates of hevan. St. Peter meets him and says , looks like you've lived a full life. The lawyer replies, 'Full life? I'm hardly 40 years old. How can you say I've had a full life? After double checking the records, St. Peter says, 'Well, according to your billable hours, you're over 100!'

Now I'm going back to my work shop. Lots to do.

Aren't farmers the ones who get paid for NOT growing things? :D

Hold on let me turn this video game off for a second..... What was that you are saying Bobby??

Hold on let me turn this video game off for a second..... What was that you are saying Bobby??

I had heard that you were so caught up in WoW that you couldn't feed or bathe yourself anymore. Sigh...what a shame. :D

In Kenny's defense, he was at a fountain today (placing CVC Tag!!!). It was a dry fountain but at least he tried! :D

Way to go Kenny. Looks like you were ready to jump when Tom pulled into town. :laughing:

In Kenny's defense, he was at a fountain today (placing CVC Tag!!!). It was a dry fountain but at least he tried!

The power of Tag never ceases to amaze me; it can even get Kenny out into the fresh air! :cute:

Well I was hoping to get my yearly bath AND tag at the same time but it was really akward when i got into the dry fountain with my soap and no clothes on! :anicute:

...Should have heard all of the whistles though!! :anicute:

In Kenny's defense, he was at a fountain today (placing CVC Tag!!!). It was a dry fountain but at least he tried!

The power of Tag never ceases to amaze me; it can even get Kenny out into the fresh air! :wub:

Well I was hoping to get my yearly bath AND tag at the same time but it was really akward when i got into the dry fountain with my soap and no clothes on! :cute:

The power of Tag never ceases to amaze me; it can even get Kenny out into the fresh air! :D

Well I was hoping to get my yearly bath AND tag at the same time but it was really akward when i got into the dry fountain with my soap and no clothes on! :D

...Should have heard all of the whistles though!! :D

Those were sirens. :D

Hey. This is a family friendly forum. We're not allowed to be telling 'dirty' jokes. :)

Moving on... How are those entries going for the CVC x/5 Challange? I know we have 40+ days before it starts but I can'tbe the only one that completed one possible entry and am working on something better. Am I?

CVC x/5 Challange

I will have one ready by Tuesday, it will be after Thursday before I can post it.

:)

For those of you interested, we would like to have some of you northern Central Valley Cachers come down and join us southern Central Valley Cachers at our 2008/2009 KCC TB Road Race Start Line Event & Taft LP Sprint on October 18, 2008.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d7-b0039bb74c80

Even if you can't make it down for the light pole sprint and start line festivities, I think the CVC is expected to make a decent showing in the TB race. Or did I underestimate this club and they are just recreational cachers who do this occassionally? :)

Seriously, I am genuinely and honestly hoping some of you will want to participate. We would love to have your bugs in the race and even some of you come down and compete in the sprint.

Please spread the word if you would.

As Reported on the Othe CVgeocacher forum.

Visalia Police Crack Down

In response to an increase in thefts of recyclable metals Visalia police have enlisted community assistance in their efforts to apprehend these brazen thieves. Just last night a tip from a local resident led to police detaining and questioning one suspicious group seen lurking around local fields examining electrical boxes. Six squad cars, including two tactical units, responded in support of this critical effort. In the end it was determined that this particular group was not metal thieves but in fact simply a group of geeks participating in the game known as geocaching.

"I had to explain what geocaching was" said a member of the group identified as Nascar Fam. "They had never heard of it."

The driver of the vehicle, a suspicious looking character known as The Hubby, allowed officers to search the vehicle. "They asked me if I had any of my own wire in the car. Usually I never leave the house without a fifty foot spool of insulated copper wire. Fortunately today I had to leave it behind to make room for the cooler."

Yes, that was definitely an experience. Never before have I been in a vehicle literally surrounded by cops.

On the plus side; we had fun, no one got grumpy, and we weren't rushed. We just did our thing and had fun at it.

BIG THANKS to whomever initially put that route together. They planned out a very good route.

BIG THANKS to Team Pilot for forwarding that GPX file to us so that we could go out on our adventure.

BIG THANKS to Nascar Fam, The Hubby, and Super Grrl for sharing the adventure with me and making it fun!

Let's go again! B) Did I say that?