Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Hey Bill

There are just too many other things that I find more fun and interesting. I am working full-time now that this semester is complete, and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new foal. Once he/she gets here, that will keep me pretty much tied up.

If there are no takers on adoption of the caches, I will go around and start pulling them this weekend. Wait..this is the valley...I will just leave them in place and archive them!!!! :D:D:D:D

Have a good weekend.

Jaimee

Jaimee,

I totally understand. We have Boer Goats popping out left and right over here... well, the first one just came and more are days away.

Congradulations on the successful completion of your schooling and the start of your dreams. I'm sure we all wish you the best.

As far as pulling caches, if no one else has the time (I for sure can't currently keep all mine going) - how about just updating each of the cache pages to invite the next to find (likely a newer cacher) to collect the cache and precycle it? [Recycling requires melt down] Then the caches will still be used, the responsibility will change and you can use your saved time to relax. Just a thought. I'm sure you'll still appear from time to time. Right?

Here you go Ron thought I would fire up the new topic. Just a post to get it started. Hope everyone had a nice weekend. icon_smile.gif<!--graemlin::ph34r:-->

All the credit goes to you, Pat. You're the one that started it. Hey pat, I've been wondering... since we're kind of losing Jaimee, are you going to continue hunting? I'm assuming you are still getting out from time to time.

Hey pat, I've been wondering... since we're kind of losing Jaimee, are you going to continue hunting? I'm assuming you are still getting out from time to time.

I still plan on doing some caching. Obviously I have slowed down greatly, but I am always checking the forums, and running my Pocket Queries. I hope to get out here in the near future. I have been getting ready for a foal. I tore down the barn, and have built a new pen. We'll see if I can get out soon. :P

Same kind of thing here. Slowed down but still interested... farm animals are taking up a lot of caching time right now (cute new kids). :P

I'm also still a little sore from last weeks extreme adventure. It took me 4 hours to arrive one mile away from the parking lot and 2 hours to return. The cache was located in about seven feet of water in a backeddie of a cold river. With the coordinates confidence at 40+ feet - talk about a lucky find. Did I mention I had to join that limited club with that Sacramento cacher and Skier4000! :P:P

Oh, there's currently no write up but it's on my list of things to do. [i'm not sure cachers want to read my story on this forum.] The main thing is to watch for the next adventure and see if you can get there first!  :)

I'm too spoiled by geocaching.com to be wasting time checking for some random adventure. Maybe if there was some way to sign up for them to e-mail me when the next adventure is posted. Plus, the FTF prize is more of a negative thing than a positive thing for me. I didn't get into geocaching to race after something. I'd rather stop and smell the roses. I think I'll just do one of the many cool caches that are out there waiting for me. :)

--Marky

[poke, poke] Is this CVC body alive? [checking for a pulse]

I've just completed a week of heck - being sick with a cold but not being able to stop working and enjoy it. Seeing how next weekend is the GBES Navigational Rally (GCHVET), I think I'll take this weekend off from caching... which shouldn't be too diffirent from my past few weekend. It would be nice however to get over to several of my caches that need help. Hummm, what to do?!

Surprisingly, only 7 cachers have found Watermark (GCHHX5) to date. And there's a travel bug in it too. This is really not so difficult as only one cacher has hunted it and still not found it. He ''figured things out afterwards'' and plans to return though. Anyone up for a little adventure caching today? :lol:

Oh, there's currently no write up but it's on my list of things to do. [i'm not sure cachers want to read my story on this forum.] The main thing is to watch for the next adventure and see if you can get there first!  B)

Bill: Go ahead and give us the story. It's not like we have too much to read on this forum. B)

Surprisingly, only 7 cachers have found Watermark (GCHHX5) to date. And there's a travel bug in it too. This is really not so difficult as only one cacher has hunted it and still not found it. He ''figured things out afterwards'' and plans to return though. Anyone up for a little adventure caching today? <_<

I went and looked for this one this weekend but couldn't find the "CVC tag". What does this look like?

Peace!

Surprisingly, only 7 cachers have found Watermark (GCHHX5) to date. And there's a travel bug in it too. This is really not so difficult as only one cacher has hunted it and still not found it. He ''figured things out afterwards'' and plans to return though. Anyone up for a little adventure caching today?  <_<

I went and looked for this one this weekend but couldn't find the "CVC tag". What does this look like?

Peace!

In watermark? It is big and says CVC on it. You can't miss it........ or can you? :D:D:D

If you are talking about CVC Tag... well we can't tell you waht that looks like because that would take all the fun out of it.

Surprisingly, only 7 cachers have found Watermark (GCHHX5) to date. And there's a travel bug in it too. This is really not so difficult as only one cacher has hunted it and still not found it. He ''figured things out afterwards'' and plans to return though. Anyone up for a little adventure caching today?  :D

Peace!

In watermark? It is big and says CVC on it. You can't miss it........ or can you? <_<:D:D

If you are talking about CVC Tag... well we can't tell you waht that looks like because that would take all the fun out of it.

Hey! I'm back from the Navigational Rally and placed 9th out of 33. Not too bad concidering we made a major mistake in the beginning that cost us about an hour of running in circles. After several close calls and some really great driving (I was the navigator holding on and trying to make the blood stop after hitting my head on the roof), we were back in the money. I highly suggest any cachers (with 8 inches of clearance) join us next year.

I also think it would be a blast to get something like that going over here - only not using vehicles. Maybe bicycles or running or walking. Hummm. Too bad I don't have that kind of free time. Just join us next year. :D

As far as that extream adventure story... I've still go it on my list of things to do.

For the CVC Tag - I better clear this up because I may have started confusion that I didn't want to do. When you're talking about the Watermark Cache, you're looking for a CVC. It reads - ''CVC'' were it was tagged.

This is not to be confused with Georgeandmary's CVC Tag!!! Cache. As everyone knows, that cache can not be revieled as to what it looks like. You have to find it in order to know what it looks like. And if it changes from time to time, you'll need to refind it to know what it changed into.

Does that clear the topic or did I loose everyone? :D

Q. Do the updated instructions (the 'Note:') confuse or concern anyone on the CVC Tag!!! cache?

Geocaching received one complaint [in almost two years I might point out] so now they're requiring us to keep the posted coordinates up to date. I sure wish I knew who wrote the complaint so they could waste all the time now required to do this. :D Anyone care to explain themself? Anyway, I think CVC Tag!!! cache is worth keeping even if it will require more effort to keep one person happy. :P

---------------

New subject:

Welcome to several new Geocachers in the CVC area... I've seen three new cachers from Ripon! That makes almost the whole town into Geocaching! Right? :lol: I wonder how long until they figure out Just Forum You. :D

I still need help with cache-mate.

I found the root of your problem... you're using Pocket PC and CacheMate was written for Palm OS. You can pick up a Handspring for under $75 and you'll be there.

I'd still be interested in running up to your area sometime as it's fully of excellent historical adventures. I'd love to be retired and do all those Sierra caches.

I think I smell coffee. CacheSeeker! Are you brewing something up? :rolleyes:

I still need help with cache-mate.

I found the root of your problem... you're using Pocket PC and CacheMate was written for Palm OS. You can pick up a Handspring for under $75 and you'll be there.

Howdy all!

No problems with using a PocketPC...Just download the free program GPXSonar. It is fantastic!! (I liked it better than the cache mate...It looks just like the web site)

Bill showed me the cache mate and it sent me on a mission to find a program that works with a PocketPC. I have been using GPXSonar for awhile now and love it.

On another note, I just downloaded the latest version of Mapopolis for my PocketPC and it now allows me to upload the Geocaching waypoints for autorouting. I convert the waypoints using another cool (and free) program.

Sure would ike to buy these great programmers a cup of coffee!!

...Sure would ike to buy these great programmers a cup of coffee!!

FizzyMagic was one of the forerunners in programing - loves good coffee - and can be talked into a free cup.

I picked up a neat cache today by D.M.C.C. It was really well done. I can tell we have another master in the making.

Okay my friends, coffee is brewing! Look for a post in the near future for another COFFEE EVENT on June 26th @ 7:30 a.m. I'll be using a new location so watch for the coordinates! I look forward to seeing those that made it to the first coffee and those of you who were out of town or had other obligations. Bring your stories, bugs and fellow cachers!
...Sure would ike to buy these great programmers a cup of coffee!!

FizzyMagic was one of the forerunners in programing - loves good coffee - and can be talked into a free cup.

I picked up a neat cache today by D.M.C.C. It was really well done. I can tell we have another master in the making.

Well if Mr FizzyMagic can be at the event on June 26th, coffee is on me!!

I too have done the cache from D.M.C.C...Definitely one to remember!

Okay my friends, coffee is brewing! Look for a post in the near future for another COFFEE EVENT on June 26th @ 7:30 a.m. I'll be using a new location so watch for the coordinates! I look forward to seeing those that made it to the first coffee and those of you who were out of town or had other obligations. Bring your stories, bugs and fellow cachers!

Count me in for this one!!

COFFEE EVENT on June 26th @ 7:30 a.m.

I'll be there and I'm dragging $ATM$ [kicking and screaming]. It should be fun with a surprise or two... or three. :D:D Who knows how much time we'll be able to plot and scheme.

I'll bet Fizzy will be there if he's able. Maybe he'll bring coffee-dog as well.

Okay my friends, coffee is brewing! Look for a post in the near future for another COFFEE EVENT on June 26th @ 7:30 a.m. I'll be using a new location so watch for the coordinates!  I look forward to seeing those that made it to the first coffee and those of you who were out of town or had other obligations. Bring your stories, bugs and fellow cachers!

What about a place that has wifi?

Check out wifi free spot,

http://www.wififreespot.com/

Don

What about a place that has wifi?

If you only had one of these, or these... you wouldn't loose this looking for wifi. :lol: However, that does sound like a good concideration for future gatherings. In looking up Manteca, I find not one free wifi site. :lol: Hick town! :lol:

BTW, I don't think the flood today will interfer with any caches.

Hey Bill,

I have T-moble and that is available @ Star Bucks on every corner, also have Boingo that is not on every corner.

Don

I have T-moble and that is available @ Star Bucks on every corner, also have Boingo that is not on every corner.

Little hick town Manteca doesn't have Starbucks. You'd need to go 4 miles south to the even small - Ripon to find one. Take the Jack Tone Road Exit off Hwy 99. Across from Loves Truck Stop, we now have Starbucks [wifi equiped I couldn't tell you]. You can Dew A Water Dance from there though! Boingo I've never heard of [because I don't get out much - LOL].

Sorry again this gathering won't have wifi at it.

I'd say this was a successful weekend. I got all my home work done... I got to hunt a couple caches... and I got two of my puzzle caches back together and running. I know how much everyone out here loves those puzzles. :) In fact, I feel another puzzle coming on. Fore! <_<

Edited by Green Achers

HELP NEEDED IN MERCED!

My wife and I have run into a horrible problem. We just finished a weekend in the central valley fixing up our three planet caches (Uranus, Neptune, Pluto.) Pluto, we replaced. Uranus needed a new log sheet. Neptune we had to move, because a new fence was put up inches in front of it (that original cache is effectively entombed!)

Here's the problem:

We know where we put the new cache, but the entry recorded for it in our GPS receiver (as well as everything else in it) was destroyed in a botched software upgrade attempt!!! [:huh:] I DON'T HAVE COORDINATES FOR THE NEW PLACEMENT!!

I can describe the location in a way that will get anyone in the Merced area within a 100'-150' or so of the cache. The cache is in the crotch of a tree with many trunks that is rather alone in a field, with only about 3-4 other trees anywhere close, so the cache should be findable in minutes.

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE VISIT THE CACHE AND CAPTURE ITS COORDINATES? FOR YOUR TROUBLE, IF YOU HAVE AN AMAZON.COM ACCOUNT, I'LL SEND A $10 GIFT CERTIFICATE FOR YOU! [:P]

A place to park is the northern END of Bismark Drive in Merced. That's at about, roughly, 37 19.450, -120 29.910.

You'll notice, to the west, Merced Storm Pump #5. (For some reason, I remember that detail!) Go west beyond that. You'll notice that there is a field, somewhat sunken in, with fences of homes to the south, and a bike path to the north. There is the occasional (rare) tree in the field itself. The cache is in one of these trees, about halfway between the bike path and the homes, and about 200-300' from the pump station. The tree has multiple trunks coming from the ground, and "looks" like a tree that someone could place a geocache in. The cache itself is a little tupperware cube, about 3" or so on a side, covered in camo tape. We covered it with leaves. It is sitting 2-4' off the ground in the "bowl" or "crotch" formed by those multiple trunks.

FROM LOOKING AT AN AERIAL PHOTO, WE *THINK* IT IS CLOSE TO 37 19.461 and -120 29.950.

I wish I could tell you more.

This is SO frustrating!!!

Please help! Can anyone help?

-Jif

Edited by TeamJiffy
HELP NEEDED IN MERCED!

Hmmm :huh: We're headed through Merced next weekend for some camping in the Southern Yosemite area and was hoping to pick up Page 119 on the Delorme Challenge. I was thinking of using Semi Hexes Cathey's Valley cache (the logs on the one down in Planada sounded too creepy :P ).

I'll take your description and see what we can do, unless someone beats us to it :P

Well, it looks like Neptune's on page 118. I've got that page, although the cache has been archived :P . This will give me an active cache for that page :P

Edited by Touchstone
HELP NEEDED IN MERCED!

We know where we put the new cache, but the entry recorded for it in our GPS receiver (as well as everything else in it) was destroyed in a botched software upgrade attempt!!! [:lol:] I DON'T HAVE COORDINATES FOR THE NEW PLACEMENT!!

I've somewhat blown it like that before (on Where Two Waters Cross). In recovery, I used LostOutDoors.com and walked the marker back to the cache. I've also done the same many times for hunts that have GPSr receiption problems. This works if (a) there's reference locations around and (:lol: those references been there for years. It doesn't work in new residential area's that was farmland. [The satellite photo's on LostOutDoors are old].

If push comes to shove, I still need to hunt the planets. Maybe I'll take a play day from my homework. Then I can not hunt Great Scott's cache while I'm in the area. I'll let you know Jif.

As for caches being fenced in... my cache in Kawaii has the same problem. Someone felt there was too many visitors to the ''visitor's parking area'' so they shut the trail down. Go figure. Maybe I'll go check up on that one. :lol:

Congratulations to Marky for finding number 3000! That is a HUGE number of caches to find. I am honored that #3000 was one of my caches ~ Great job!

Looks like kablooey is closing in on the 2000 mark. Those big numbers seem so far away to me.

Maybe I need to make caching my new career. Anyway to make money doing this?? :lol:

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone at the latte cache event!!

Update on Neptune Cache

The caching team of 2 for the road was kind enough to get us good coordiantes for Neptune - thanks!

Green A's suggestion to try lostoutdoors.com helped a lot - according to 2 for the road, the coordinates I gave them from lostoutdoors were pretty close to the final location.

Thanks for the offers of help from everyone!

-Jif

Well, I no longer live in Merced. Check for me around the "hick" town of Manteca. FTFs are fun, but being an ONLY finder is neat too! I just held that claim for 1 year now. Maybe some one else can go visit it? Volta. Congrats also to M & J on their 3000th find.

A year isn't over yet... you still have a good 24 hours until you can claim a FTF/OTF. Hummm, should I get out of this hammock and go interrupt the new Mantecan's glory to fame. :huh: That wouldn't be like me. Now would it?! :huh: Maybe I'll put it on the list of caches to do.

Thanks Jif for the feedback on using LostOutDoors to walk the coordinates in. Besides the extra time it takes, it almost makes a GPSr not required. I know of a cacher that had about 650 finds and all without a GPSr! The only problem with him doing this is it would take him days to do a multi cache (like Watermark).

Good job Marky and Joani. Another K under the belt. [Or is that an M under their belt?] Congratulations and hope to see you this Saturday.

People might shy away from them because they are virtuals, and because the difficulty and terrain is above average. I don't recall seeing too many 4* difficulty virtuals. Were they in fact difficult once you got to the coords? Looks like a neat place to go.

--Marky

The difficulty rating are probably higher that they should be. More like 1.5/2. Spring is the best time to go, with all the wild flowers in bloom. From the west end of the trail, Quarter and 2 Bits can be hiked to and back within 3 hours. Same for 3 Quarter and Outta cache from the east end of the trail. East trailhead is closed during the winter. Wagga, the cache owner, came to one of our cache events and let me know where the coin was suppose to be hidden at 3 Quarter. I was was sure that I looked there. I did find many other items hidden in the cabin. They will remain unsaid.

Scott

But, I can't figure out why no one else has visted these four caches.

So, let's see. Ol' Dave goes out and creates 4 virtuals in May of 2001... a year later, the FTF hunter comes along and after two outings - gets them... now two years after that, not one other cacher has been on Dave's adventure? Give me a break! Where's the keys to my tractor?!

Wait. I'm in the dog house. [yip - yip] Maybe later.

We went after a FTF today... I'm not sure my log reflects the adventure well enough. I am however grateful to have made it home. :lol:

Bill: Since the family won't go with you on the return trip, let me know if you'd like some company. I've been looking at this listing since it was posted and wishing I still had my boat. With a little advance notice I can sneak away from work a little early sometime. Just don't tell my wife. <_< Ted