Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Hey Pat !

Now there's a thought. I should check the exact date I last posted. Better yet, I could just not post here for the next year or so..that should guarantee a....."longest time since last post"....award!

Have you and Jaimee been doing any caching? I've just been too busy with other things to get out there and find some.

Had a big adventure though near Oroville. Hiked to the 6th tallest waterfalls in the United States...Feather Falls...640 feet tall. Didn't think many people would make the 10 mile round trip, but was surprised to see the observation platform filled with about 20 people! Wonderful falls.

Ron

Time flies!  Been  more than a month I think since I logged in here!

Ron

I guess you win that battle as to who had the longest time between posts. Glad to see that your still around. :D

Wrong. That would be one of the last to find Dew A Water Dance!

Great to see two older cachers again. I hope to read about you having fun soon.

Edited by Green Achers
Hey Pat !

Have you and Jaimee been doing any caching? I've just been  too busy with other things to get out there and find some.

We have gone out every once and awhile and found a few.

Same thing here - every once in a while. I'd love to spend more time hunting but just don't get the free time these days.

However, I'm am planning on doing the GBES Navigational Rally (GCHVET) in a couple months. Any one else going? I would think this would bring out some of those 4x4's. Right? Mike!? Kurt!? George!? Pat!? (Jaimee won't care if you use her Volvo.) We have a CVC'er that once told me they have a Yellow H2 but I forgot who that was and I haven't seen it yet. That would work! :rolleyes:

The year before I started caching, I had a treasure hunt on the farm. I didn't tell anyone that I was doing it.

I set everything up ahead of time. Then on Easter morning when all the kids and family were over, I walked out to the barn and came back a few minutes later with a rolled up map (with burnt edges and all dusty). I told everyone I had found it and didn't know what it was. My baby (aka Yaks-a-lot) was the first to declare, ''It's a treasure map''. Then one of the older/wiser members pointed out it looked like the farm and there was a big X on it. That was all it took. The kids were gone with adults in tow.

There was a note posted at the location of the X on the map. It gave a clue to the next location. It took the kids several minutes (including running to a few wrong locations) before they figure out the clue and found the next note with another clue. I think there were a dozen locations.

It worked out perfect as the kids were all working together and having fun. The adults were able to sit and talk while watching the kids. And every kid that completed it got to choose a prize from a rather nice selection. I think it was the best Easter.

Now that I have Geocaching, every day can be Easter [if it wasn't for all this darn homework].

I would like to say Congratulations to Sanruft on his reaching 200 Finds today!

YAY! Congratulations TIM!!! I'm sorry I've been away taking care of my online pinochle team at yahoo and missed your big moment.

200?! OMG, to hit 100 would make me happy. Great Job!

Thank you!! (Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I just got back in the Country)

The first 200 was fun, but I am looking forward to the next round of caches. I have heard some "ideas" floating around which should make for some VERY fun caches.

Camel680 is really getting into the code caches, which is good because I can never figure those out. I think I can let him do all the leg work while I help with the finding. ;) (I know, taking the easy road, but hey, he volunteered!!) ;) Just kidding (maybe) - I MAY try ONE at some time.

On another note, has anyone heard anything about the Cannonball race? I know they were mailed because I got the confirmation, but have not seen anything else.

I left for 3 weeks and came back to a whole bunch of new caches in the immediate area...Looks like I am going to have to start looking around this part of town again! (Oh darn) :bad:

Any other Central Valley cachers going to the dinner on april 7th in Pleasanton? I am sort-of considering going but think it may be too far to go for a school night. I may wait for one in the area t pop-up.

By the way ~ Happy April Fools day to all!! (Hope it wasn't TOO silly for you today). :P

On another note, has anyone heard anything about the Cannonball race? I know they were mailed because I got the confirmation, but have not seen anything else.

Any other Central Valley cachers going to the dinner on april 4th in Pleasanton? I am sort-of considering going but think it may be too far to go for a school night. I may wait for one in the area t pop-up.

Welcome home. As far as the CB2, those pictures make it look like another frozen start. It's even snowing in both of those photo's.

There's a few local caches that I've wanted to do for the past month. Just no free time for the next few weeks. However, I'm hoping to get enough homework done tomorrow so I can go to the gathering Sunday. I'm just not sure at this point. Anyone else taking the afternoon off to attend?

Looks like Camel680, $ATM$ and I were the respresentation of CVC at the BADGES Dinner 2 Gathering. It was really a fun evening with plenty of good PFG (Prizes, Food and Geo-Friends). I messed up on the start time so we arrived two hours early and ended up caching with MotorBug and Semi-Hex. The only problem is between yesterday afternoon and most all today, I've spent my free time.

As a last hurra, I ran out to do [http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ffae59ef-646c-4658-9b0a-e784072dd3ef]River Crossing[/url] by Clayham. What a great way to end a weekend [playing hooky from the homework]. Now it's time to figure out a recovery plan. :D:):):)

A tractor race? PPPPPFFFFFT! I'm not falling for that Bill, it's really a surprise birthday party for MOI, isn't it?!

Tractor... Farm truck... I'll have something out there. <_< The important thing is that I'm going to win it for MOI. Ready for some cake and ice cream out in the desert? It should have some special grit sprinkled over it so you'll be whitening your teeth while the sugar's giving you cavities. For this Birthday gift, I'm going to pull over at some point and hide it in the course. :P

It is really interesting to me to read and hear about so many stories from the experienced (and not so experienced) cachers.

You missed out on one of the greatest Geocaching stories... It involved Double Agent (GCA8B3), Double Trouble (GCBBA9) and Spy Special (GCBBD1).

If Lamneth and FizzyMagic would be so kind... they have the story on their web sites but I lost the URL's.

Newly restored and updated: The Venona Story (as told by Lamneth) :tired:

It is really interesting to me to read and hear about so many stories from the experienced (and not so experienced) cachers.

You missed out on one of the greatest Geocaching stories... It involved Double Agent (GCA8B3), Double Trouble (GCBBA9) and Spy Special (GCBBD1).

If Lamneth and FizzyMagic would be so kind... they have the story on their web sites but I lost the URL's.

Newly restored and updated: The Venona Story (as told by Lamneth) :(

VERY, VERY cool!! It tells me that I still have a LOT to learn!!

Thanks for sharing!!

For your next lesson, Grasshopper... find the CVC Tag cache before anyone else. Don't forget to leave a teepee if you're fortunate in locating it. :(

Tomorrow, I'm hoping to get over to Get The Point and Locked In A Cubical for R&R and then make them available again. Maybe those should be next. And then on to MrToad608's code cache!

For your next lesson, Grasshopper... find the CVC Tag cache before anyone else. Don't forget to leave a teepee if you're fortunate in locating it. :D

LOL! Ok, I decided to take you up on your "lesson" and found the CVC Tag...I left a teepee and did the rain dance. (Plus a little victory move!) :D

The cache has been placed in a new spot and ready for the next pupil.

Not so sure I am ready to take-on these code caches...Time is an enemy and I never liked doing much research in school. Who knows, maybe I will win the lottery and have more time for such caches.

You're too good. I'm trying to get Locked In A Cubical back running. I have the replacement puzzle but now need the replacement time. LOL. Same thing with the stolen tool on Get The Point. Maybe there'll be a cache called Get A Life for me in the future. :lol: It can be filled with extra time or more day light or a hired hand that works for free. :lol:

Tag? I wish! Maybe tomorrow I'll just run away [with my PDA and GPSr].

A couple years ago, JaimeeG posted something about cachers going al-natureal up in Sack-of-tomato's. Too funny to see both: cachers being that devoted to get a cache; and writing about it. Well, let me be the first to say, it's happened again! :D Another cacher has joined the club... in scaring the wemen and children and making the horses nervous. But this time, it ain't up north. :)

T4 March 3 by Skier4000 (98 found)

WOW!!! What a cache!! After getting skunked by this one last November I looked at the pics and read the logs. I knew that I was close to the cache but on the wrong end of the waterfall! I finally made my way the the correct area today only to see a lot of water flowing between me and the cache. After getting this close there was no way that I would be denied. So I took off my shoes, socks and pants and waded through the pool and found the cache right away. Thanks for a great cache and my FTF in my underwear!!

So now this brings up the question...

How devoted are you to finding a given cache? ;)

I've driven back to the same caches four times before find caches. I've hiked several miles in sandals [but that was Hawaii so it doesn't count]. I've hunted Wait Until Dark [cougar country] at night, alone with a pen light [that was good - read my log]. Oh, ya... I hunted the top of the pier at Fear Factor! The only time I've taken my socks off was after a hunt to remove all the stickers. Anyone willing to share your story [or top Skier4000 whom just became one of my geo-hero's! ;) ]?

Lets see, Long walks resulting in sore knees looking for Ron Streeter caches, sliding 200 feet down into a gulley, only to realize I had to climb out the other side, when I could have just stayed on the gently sloped trail (Bayview), poison oak (Rough Road and Pioneer Park), black widow spiders (Magnetic tour of Stockton). No, nothing unusual. :D

Lets see, Long walks resulting in sore knees looking for Ron Streeter caches, sliding 200 feet down into a gulley, only to realize I had to climb out the other side, when I could have just stayed on the gently sloped trail (Bayview), poison oak (Rough Road and Pioneer Park), black widow spiders (Magnetic tour of Stockton). No, nothing unusual. :D

Hey, I resemble those remarks !

Sad to say I haven't done any caching for some time, but still read all the find notes on my many caches and read the forum from time to time.

One thing I can definitely say....it was never the "numbers" for me. If it had been, I wouldn't have stopped at 922 finds and I think 198 hides! Maybe someday I'll put out that "World's Smallest Cache" as my number 200.

Hi to all the "old timer" cachers I remember from "the day".

Ron

Maybe someday I'll put out that "World's Smallest Cache" as my number 200.

Hi to all the "old timer" cachers I remember from "the day".

Ron

You've been telling me about your World's smallest cache for over a year now. Will you hurry up and hide it, maybe some of us old cachers will go out and look for it. :unsure:

How have you been Ron?

Oh, ya...  I hunted the top of the pier at Fear Factor! The only time I've taken my socks off was after a hunt to remove all the stickers. Anyone willing to share your story [or top Skier4000 whom just became one of my geo-hero's!  ;) ]?

hmmm...Nothing to match THOSE stories, except that I seem to have a knack to turn a terrain 4 to a terrain 8 and must lack a brain because I continue to leave things that I NEED behind....My PocketPC with all of my work information fell out of my backpack on a terrain 5 (And I didn't know it was missing until later that night) ~ Had to re-hike it in the dark. (Alone in the desert...not fun) ~ I left my GPS on top of the mountain on another terrain 4 (This one was last weekend) and have lost my phone on one....Maybe it would be in someone's best interest to follow-me around to the more strenuous caches so they kind find a REAL prize!! :D

Boy, I must be getting old. It may be better for ME to go with just my socks, then maybe I might not lose anything!! (ummm, no...The shock to a fellow-geocacher may be too much to handle!!) :D

:);):P:):D

Edited by Sanruft
Boy, I must be getting old. It may be better for ME to go with just my socks, then maybe I might not lose anything!! (ummm, no...The shock to a fellow-geocacher may be too much to handle!!) :D

:D:D:D:D:)

No Please Put something back on!!!!!! :D

Awwww.. how cute... what is that? :D:)

But on to serious things. He gave me a hard time when I ahd to run back about 300 feet for my GPS but he elaves his pocket PC at tha top of a hill! let me see... my 2 minute mistake... his 2 hour mistake! HAHAHAHA :D

It's ok... We all have out "moments" right? :D

Leaving things behind... only my complete Geo-fanny pack so far. I returned about 30 minutes later but it was gone. Maybe the finder read some of those Geo-Notes inside and will return it... plus the several real nice caches that were complete and ready.

As for Ron's pico-cache (a thousand times smaller than a micro), I've once held a micro that was so small, I thought the cache was stollen and all they left behind was the item in my hand. It turned out to just be another Lamneth moment and after a few minutes of looking at it, I figured that out. The closest comparable experiance I've had was not a micro and it turned out to be another Ron Streeter trick. Believe me, you don't want to let that guy into the shop too long or we'll all pay. :D

Pat.....

I mentioned that tiny micro to you a year ago? I must have REALLY been having a good time...time has zoomed by. Now if I can just find the tiny thing among my piles of papers, etc.

I won't mention it again until I've placed it!

Bill......

It's not that I ran out of evil ideas for caches, just....well you know....moved on.

For some reason I'm not getting email notifications when there is a new post here, so I will check on that or just check in periodically.

Ron

It's not that I ran out of evil ideas for caches, just....well you know....moved on.

For some reason I'm not getting email notifications when there is a new post here, so I will check on that or just check in periodically.

Evil ideas? No doubt. ;) All I can say is... bring it! :o

I really liked the old notification system. It emailed each posting so you didn't have to log into the forum to read it. Now, you only get notice of who did the posting.

Tomorrow, I'm going for a FTF that makes all other FTF prizes appear to be a nano-prize. I hope to have a report tomorrow at some point. ;) Stay tuned.

If you miss the first e-mail notification, you won't get any more until you visit the forum. You won't get a notification for every post.

--Marky

Tomorrow, I'm going for a FTF that makes all other FTF prizes appear to be a nano-prize. I hope to have a report tomorrow at some point.  :rolleyes: Stay tuned.

Better than this prize that Kevin & Susan got for getting a FTF on a virtual cache?:

1060667_400.JPG

--Marky

That cache is OPERATION HIGH DESERT ADVENTURE. There was a sequel as well: OPERATION HIGH DESERT ADVENTURE 2. Both had a $1000 FTF prize, both claimed by Kevin. Check out his logs and photos. Very cool stuff.

--Marky

Now THATS Geocaching! Forget the Fast Food I, II, III, IV etc. I prefer a hike through the backcountry anyday. (Though not QUITE that strenuous please :rolleyes: ) Thanks Marky for posting that.

Ok, I'm home and hurting. The FTF that I was refering to can only be seen here on this Web Site. Well, you could also ask me to see it too. It did come at a cost though and I'm not sure the price is totaled yet. It took me all day long and I'll have scares to prove it. And a tick to boot. Right now I'm not sure if it was worth it but that will likely change in a couple days.

Make sure you bookmark the web site because there will be more adventure prizes (so I'm told). Also, that shop is a totally great candy store of quality gear so I'd say it's a must see.

Time to get back to the first aid box. 'nite-all. :)

Edited by Green Achers

Hello all

Anyone interested in adopting all of my caches (except virtuals)? I am going to be bailing out of caching due to lack of time and lack of interest. I will be archiving all of the virtuals but figured I would see if anyone wants the traditional caches that I have scattered around.

Let me know as soon as possible if you are interested. If nobody wants them, I would like to try gathering them up over the weekend.

Thanks!

Jaimee

And yet another shot to the valley caching scene. This is nothing new from this cacher; he rarely has anything nice to say about the valley caches.

"I couldn't find a place to park that wasn't on private property or a way to get to the cache without tresspassing across private property. Once I got to the area which was pretty obvious that other cachers had been there, there was no sign of the cache, and once again no hint. I wonder why, oh yes, I'm in the valley. I have to keep reminding myself of that, I'm in the valley."

"I can't believe someone would rate this one as a 1 1/2 star for difficulty with all the DNF's is seems to attract (and on top of that, not give a clue). Hello, is anyone home. That's right, I'm in the valley, that explains it."

Kind of amusing logs, considering the fact that he must have been WAY off kilter on the first since there is no private property anywhere around the cache (unless, of course, you don't take five minutes to find the PROPER way into the cache area). The second cache is definitely no more than a 1.5 in difficulty. Oh...wait..that's a valley rating..silly me!! :D:D:D:D

Jaimee :D

I see the retail value on that thing.....  I think it was worth it!  And to think you were holding out on us before that!!!    :D  :D

Nice Show!

Hehe, he obviously didn't want any "friendly" competition. :D

--Marky

Oh, I'm now ready for the friendly competition. I found it this time, you can find the next one and beat my time. Start in Oakland, 3 hours drive to the general area... 4 hours hunting in and 2 hours retreating. Oh, ya... 3 more hours home back to the valley where the rating system sets a new standard. :D

Let's review those ratings:

1= A stroller can be taken.

5= Renting a helicopter or three days into a rock climb (El Capitain-ish)

so

2= No stroller - The kid walks but the parent get's to hear the whinning.

4= No Ropes required but don't loose your grip or you'll be history.

now

3= You'll be hating you life due to pain afterwards. [No kids would survive this.]

There, that appears to be a healthy breakdown.

Hello all

Anyone interested in adopting all of my caches (except virtuals)? I am going to be bailing out of caching due to lack of time and lack of interest. I will be archiving all of the virtuals but figured I would see if anyone wants the traditional caches that I have scattered around.

Let me know as soon as possible if you are interested. If nobody wants them, I would like to try gathering them up over the weekend.

Thanks!

Jaimee

Jaimee! That's so sad to read this. I'm swamped too - even though I had a wild day yesterday [which I'm still paying for]. I'm hoping it's just for a season as all work and no play is no way to live. I guess I'm saying I'd hate to see you throw in the towel after so many excellent adventures. :D

Hey Bill

There are just too many other things that I find more fun and interesting. I am working full-time now that this semester is complete, and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the new foal. Once he/she gets here, that will keep me pretty much tied up.

If there are no takers on adoption of the caches, I will go around and start pulling them this weekend. Wait..this is the valley...I will just leave them in place and archive them!!!! :D:D:D:D

Have a good weekend.

Jaimee