Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I'm envious of anyone who has enough time to find that many caches and still hold down a job. How do you do it?

Huh? Job?? It's caching work for you? It sure is for me.

That 10% ratio (hides/finds) is kind of a suggestion. However, we're all hoping Marky doesn't hear about it or we'll be up to our necks in FTF's. There's really a limit to the amount of caches a given cacher can keep healthy at one time. I've found that I can kind of keep a dozen going without making my hunting suffer too much. Other's may find it's no problem to maintain a few dozen [maybe they're the boss too].

Certainly, placing and maintain caches comes at a cost in the way of time. However, if no one invested - there would be nothing to find. [it would also make the EBRPS happier. But that's another forum topic]. :)

Place what you can maintain and have fun as you do it. :) Right MrFrog? :o

What I don't understand is how people get to 2000, 3000 and ??? This seems impossible to me. Even more challenging are the logs I find saying this is "# 64 for the day"...I know my day has 24 hours, and part of the day I am sleeping...I'm not sure how many hours are in their day, but it amazes me when I see those numbers. I'm exhausted if I do 14 in one day!! I would sure like to know how they do this!

It's magic. I could tell you how they do this but then they'd get upset. You really don't want to find that many in one day anyway as you wouldn't be able to even see even half of the caches you found. :o Ever wonder why they use stickers for the signature. :)

It's magic. I could tell you how they do this but then they'd get upset. You really don't want to find that many in one day anyway as you wouldn't be able to even see even half of the caches you found. :o Ever wonder why they use stickers for the signature. :)

Well, part of the reason I enjoy it so much is I like to take time to smell the roses...Maybe it's best that I don't know the "secrets".

As for placing caches, that is good advice. I will only place an amount I feel I can maintian properly. There is nothng better than finding a cache that is in good condition.

Thanks for the suggestions. I cetainly appreciate the help! (Yes, after 200 caches I STILL need help!) :)

Fattuhr, did you slow down after the first year because you were "burned-out" on geocaching, or was it that you had found everything within a close proximity?

Bad priority setting. LOL.

Hey, Welcome to CVC's newest cacher, $ATM$! Looks like the spouse of an addicted cacher! This just goes to prove my point that Geocaching is contagious and not self inflicted as we've been lead to believe. :)

Fattuhr, did you slow down after the first year because you were "burned-out" on geocaching, or was it that you had found everything within a close proximity?

Mostly because I was burnt out. In the first year I found traveled quite a bit, even found some caches in Missouri. I still enjoy caching. <_<

What I don't understand is how people get to 2000, 3000 and ??? This seems impossible to me. Even more challenging are the logs I find saying this is "# 64 for the day"...I know my day has 24 hours, and part of the day I am sleeping...I'm not sure how many hours are in their day, but it amazes me when I see those numbers. I'm exhausted if I do 14 in one day!! I would sure like to know how they do this!

It's magic. I could tell you how they do this but then they'd get upset. You really don't want to find that many in one day anyway as you wouldn't be able to even see even half of the caches you found. :D Ever wonder why they use stickers for the signature. :D

Joani and I found something that we enjoy doing together, and that's probably the main reason why we have as many finds as we do. We aren't mega cachers, and rarely do we do more than 20 in a day. We had one day over 30. We definetly get tired after about 14 as well, depending on the terrain and distance, of course. Yesterday, we were down in the Fort Ord (Monterey) area and did a handful of caches (12 total for the day). Most of them involved a 1/4 to a 1/2 hike to the cache, some being more like a mile. We may have put in about 8 miles on foot for the day. If you've cached with us, you know we are never in a hurry. We just happen to like caching a lot, and would generally rather be doing that than most other outdoor activities. Having a reason to get outside is a good thing. <_<

We don't use stickers. :mad: Well, I don't count the sticky i-zone pictures we take as stickers, since those take *more* time to put in the cache logs. :)

--Marky

No question about Marky and Joani. They enjoy them selves and it's their committment that yields the mega find number. Besides, I think 30 caches in one day is possible given some planning. The magic happens when a couple cachers find 80 plus caches in one day. Ya, I've seen some wild numbers in the past year... but not from Marky. :)

Joani and I found something that we enjoy doing together, and that's probably the main reason why we have as many finds as we do. We aren't mega cachers, and rarely do we do more than 20 in a day. We had one day over 30. We definetly get tired after about 14 as well, depending on the terrain and distance, of course. Yesterday, we were down in the Fort Ord (Monterey) area and did a handful of caches (12 total for the day). Most of them involved a 1/4 to a 1/2 hike to the cache, some being more like a mile. We may have put in about 8 miles on foot for the day. If you've cached with us, you know we are never in a hurry. We just happen to like caching a lot, and would generally rather be doing that than most other outdoor activities. Having a reason to get outside is a good thing. :)

We don't use stickers. :D Well, I don't count the sticky i-zone pictures we take as stickers, since those take *more* time to put in the cache logs. :)

--Marky

I think that's why I enjoy it so much. It is something my whole family enjoys and we get to meet some great new people while doing it. It is really interesting to me to read and hear about so many stories from the experienced (and not so experienced) cachers.

Thanks for sharing your insight with me Marky and Joani! :D

You missed out on one of the greatest Geocaching stories... It involved Double Agent (GCA8B3), Double Trouble (GCBBA9) and Spy Special (GCBBD1).

Fear not: More like that are planned. I almost got started on a new one but something turned out to be Not Quite Right.

For a partial take on the story, try this: Venona.

You missed out on one of the greatest Geocaching stories...  It involved Double Agent (GCA8B3), Double Trouble (GCBBA9) and Spy Special (GCBBD1).

Fear not: More like that are planned. I almost got started on a new one but something turned out to be Not Quite Right.

LOL! Now that's an interesting story! Makes me look at geocaching in a whole new way!

Thank you for sharing!! I look forward to more stories like that one!

You shoulda kept them going! They would have never known it was you!!!! HAHAHA Ok so they might have figured it out but hey.... Sounded like a lot of fun! Except I would have never figured out that code. I have yet to figure out any code except for this one in the Bay Area. (Though I never went to solve it)

No. No. No. You can do it! Several code caches (and puzzle caches as well) come with instructions. It's just a matter of taking the time to read and follow them. Other evil caches offer limited if any clues. Then there's tricky/dirty puzzle caches that just make you want to ring the stashers neck. But believe me, they all can be solved if I can solve them. ;)

Well I have wanted to do locked in a cubicle.... Those types of puzzles don't bother me, Same with Get a point. I want to do that one also. But yout one with the spiral thing-a-ma-jiggers..... And Toads code cache with all the numbers.... I just look at those dumbfounded! HAHAHAHA I will get to them eventually but And I look at them all the time to see if I can figure out what is being said... but I don't know! HAHA

Oh, sure. Choose the code caches that have no destructions with them. :P Try doing a few that tell you what to do first. Then as you get the hang of things, you can move over to the 'I'm getting even with you' code caches.

I'd start with something like one of my favorites (which I way over analyzed). Black Box by Geocaching pioneer, georgeandmary. The instructions are good enough to make it fun without racking your brain. B) BTW, it hasn't been found in over a year but it is most assuradly still there. However, I do think the flight recorder hasn't withstood everything it's gone through. If anyone works on this and needs help, it's possible that George is still around and willing to help... otherwise, I'll help you.

Edited by Green Achers
I'd start with something like one of my favorites (which I way over analyzed). Black Box by Geocaching pioneer, georgeandmary. The instructions are good enough to make it fun without racking your brain. :blink: BTW, it hasn't been found in over a year but it is most assuradly still there. However, I do think the flight recorder hasn't withstood everything it's gone through. If anyone works on this and needs help, it's possible that George is still around and willing to help... otherwise, I'll help you.

Black Box is on my radar screen :rolleyes: We drive that way to the mountains frequently and I've been meaning to work it out. Thanks for the offer; I may need it :)

Uhhhh.... it was Him ------------------------------------>

Honest it wasn't us! :P

Snitch. :D

Hey Brute! Long time no hear. I see you've been caching some. Now that the good weather's here, I guess you'll be picking up the pace. Right? You may want to add Watermark to your list seeing as you pass by there all the time. :D

Are you going to the BADGES Dinner Garthering on 4/4/4?

Uhhhh.... it was Him  ------------------------------------>

Honest it wasn't us!  :P

Snitch. :D

I was pointing at Fizzy!!! Quiet you'll get us in trouble! :DB)B)

I kinda want to go to that dinner but it is hard for me to drive that distance on a Sunday afternoon. That makes me put the kids in bed too late for school the next day.

A cache in Jamestown may have been muggled....here's the blurb from the "News of Record" Mar 15, Union Democrat newpaper....

"8:39 a.m., Jamestown — A caller said a man put a small Altoids box underneath an ore cart in Rocca Park then drove away in a small green car."

Hmm..sounds very suspicious...and who was the cacher that was spotted??

A cache in Jamestown may have been muggled....here's the blurb from the "News of Record" Mar 15, Union Democrat newpaper....

"8:39 a.m., Jamestown — A caller said a man put a small Altoids box underneath an ore cart in Rocca Park then drove away in a small green car."

Hmm..sounds very suspicious...and who was the cacher that was spotted??

Someone that likes green I'd guess. Nice shirt SD! :D Do you have the cache name? [Now that I have the major spoiler :P ]

Someone that likes green I'd guess. Nice shirt SD! :D Do you have the cache name? [Now that I have the major spoiler :P ]

Glad you like the shirt Bill. It's an old forest service tee shirt. There are not too many choices in Jamestown, so I'll let you guess which cache this one might be.

Anyhow, the call to the sheriff dept that was quoted took place on Thursday (according to the newspaper). I have yet to see a log for this cache that is dated as found on 3/11...the latest I see is 3/6. Might be a vacationer who has yet to log this one as a find, might not even know that the muggles were watching him.

I just thought the little blurb was funny,since I had found this cache awhile ago. It's hard to be subtle at this location.

Great! This is my second FTF. I needed another one. I guess we made a trade on FTF the last couple of days. I’m glad I grabbed this one before Bill of Green Achers fired up the jet powered pony motor on his D4 Cat with the lantern on it and made tricks over hear to nab it.

I was loging in this Cacheyesterday afternoon and saw this post in the logs... Geez looks like you can't even catch a break in the cache logs Bill!!! :ph34r::D

Edited by Camel680

Great! This is my second FTF. I needed another one. I guess we made a trade on FTF the last couple of days. I’m glad I grabbed this one before Bill of Green Achers fired up the jet powered pony motor on his D4 Cat with the lantern on it and made tricks over hear to nab it.

I was loging in this Cacheyesterday afternoon and saw this post in the logs... Geez looks like you can't even catch a break in the cache logs Bill!!! :D:mad:

My pony motor isn't jet powered! It's turbo charged. The main engine... now that's the one that's jet powered. :ph34r: It keeps giving me whip lash when it kicks in.

I would like to say Congratulations to Sanruft on his reaching 200 Finds today!

YAY! Congratulations TIM!!! I'm sorry I've been away taking care of my online pinochle team at yahoo and missed your big moment.

200?! OMG, to hit 100 would make me happy. Great Job!

Hey, by the way, Stashseeker was a bit lonely not running into a zillion cachers in Lockeford, lol Where is everyone? lol

*sigh*

I need a cachin' buddy. My brother left for Navy bootcamp 2 months ago and my Wife just isn't into it as much as I am (especially doing all-day cache trips).

So, speaking of finding a cachin' partner, since I'm posting this anyway, I guess I might as well be specific, eh?

Looking for a guy (preferably married so we've got simular commitments as far as time) who likes to hike and perhaps even ride a motorcycle (although I've never 'cached using my Honda, yet, I did install a bicycle mount that works great). I say a "guy" as that way if we're gone all day or late into the evening my Wife won't be having worries. Preferred to be non-smoker (I've a co-worker that has a GPSr and thought Geocaching was a cool idea, rides a motorcycle, but smokes).

I've got a 6 year-old and a 3.5 year-old that like to cache with me, but I take them on more "local" / easy caching trips, mainly looking for traditional/non-micro caches as they're into the swag, not the hunt. My 6 year-old is pretty tough and has gone on a couple mile hikes up at Knight's Ferry in the blistering hot sun. I take a backpack carrier with me for the 3.5 year-old. I only take the kids when I've done a bit of planning first, and obviously since the majority of caches out there aren't traditional/large caches I hunt without them.

In the past, my brother and I would go caching whenever for no particular reason and without planning (hey, that's what a laptop and Pocket Queries are for). We'd been known to cache from 10pm-2am, just 'cuz (night caching adds a +1 or +2 to the difficulty in some cases, but then you also don't have to deal with muggles <_< ).

Oh, and I'm in Modesto, but within a month or so I'll have those couple dozen new caches found and plan to be traveling around to find more.

Gads, a "personal ad" for a Geocachin' bud... what has my life come to? :D

I'm also planning to hunt benchmarks near 'caches.

LOL MMC N/S 3Kids <_<:D (Married Male Cacher Non/Smoker)

SORRY HAD TO ADD IT!

I am always looking for someone to cache with. If you ever plan on goin' out for some caching all you gotta do it email me and let me know. I have a couple of kids and it just slows me down. My 5 year old is a trooper so even if we need to take the kids atleast he would have someone to hang around with if you got your kids. He and I did caching from 8 AM until about 6 PM the other day and he never once said he wanted to quit.

Edited by Camel680
LOL MMC N/S 3Kids <_<:D (Married Male Cacher Non/Smoker)

SORRY HAD TO ADD IT!

I am always looking for someone to cache with. If you ever plan on goin' out for some caching all you gotta do it email me and let me know. I have a couple of kids and it just slows me down. My 5 year old is a trooper so even if we need to take the kids atleast he would have someone to hang around with if you got your kids. He and I did caching from 8 AM until about 6 PM the other day and he never once said he wanted to quit.

LOL, sounds like a perfect match. I almost put some initials like that.

I understand exactly on the kids-slowness thing. It's the other parental unit insists that she have some alone time. B)

LOL'

If any of you people are up in the Yosemite Region and want to hit some of hte 4x4 or Hiking caches let me know.. There are some up here that id rather not do myself.

Ive also got a few locations on my GPS that would be perfect for caches. But again id rather not do them alone. If any of youd be interested in hiding some new caches up here let me know and ill send you coords. And we can figure something out.

Anyways, Im a 19yo Male that drives a Jeep.

The new "My Caches" page works great in IE, but it all runs together in Netscape. For those of us who hate microsoft it would be nice if TPTB would tweak it to work well with Netscape.  Until then I'll use the old version.  B)

Works fine on Safari. Netscape seems to have some problem dealing with the width attributes that GC is using for those table cells. I had a old copy of netscape 4.8 around (I do some browser testing when I make changes to our core software) and it rendered it fine, which is interesting. I've seen some issues with Safari and overlapping data in table cells though, but it seems fine with the current My Cache Page changes.

Browser testing is a drag.

--Marky

TPTB == The Powers That Be

I thought it was TPTB = The Part That Breaks - which had to be coined by a Fiat mechanic. [Fiat = Fix It Again Tony] :blink:

Any note worthy caches around these days? I enjoyed Clayham's cache and finally found Arrowhead after several visits. There's also so many new caches, that I can't keep up [yet]. :D Good job by all the newer (less than 100 finds) cachers on many interesting new caches. Keep 'em coming. :D

Time flies! Been more than a month I think since I logged in here! I tried to get to one of my own subscriber only pages and was denied since I didn't renew my paid membership. That's weird. Guess I will either have to ante up or request that all my subscriber only pages be made public so I can get to them.

Ron

Time flies!  Been  more than a month I think since I logged in here! I tried to get to one of my own subscriber only pages and was denied since I didn't renew my paid membership. That's weird. Guess I will either have to ante up or request that all my subscriber only pages be made public so I can get to them.

Ron

Nice to see that you are still alive and kicking. The weather has been awesome for hiking and exploring, although I hear we are headed back into a winter weather pattern starting tomorrow-ish.

--Marky

The new "My Caches" page works great in IE, but it all runs together in Netscape. For those of us who hate microsoft it would be nice if TPTB would tweak it to work well with Netscape.  Until then I'll use the old version.  ;)

They fixed it! ;) Just checked in on the "My Caches" page and the words no longer run together. Thank you to TPTB. Sorry I sounded so grumpy earlier. :o