Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Let's see... that's Palm Sunday.. and the only Sunday I'm not super-busy in April. I should be able to attend.

Hey, Welcome to Limax. We're glad you're here. For that BADGES Gathering, make sure you log a note on the cache page with the number of seats needed.

FTF's... I was going to go for that new Modesto cache Arch Rock to get a FTF but here's what the logs look like...

February 17 by Camel680 (145 found)

Must not have been too far behine the Camelot Crew. And I followed their example and also signed the log as the 18th  Nice hiding spot! I had driven by there and thought about it many times and I know others who have too. But we procrastinated and you beat us to it! I do question how waterproof the container is though and if it will survive the rains.

Great cache though and great way to bring such a great site into the world of GeoCaching!

Thanks!!!

February 17 by Camelot Crew (Camelot Crew) (170 found)

A little lunchtime caching today. Picked up the TB, but left nothing because the things I had to leave were too large for the container. Need to be better prepared. Think I dated the log book 2-18-04 in error. Oh, well. Great cache. Thanks for the fun.

David of the Camelot Crew.

February 17 by Team Roadracer (Team Roadracer) (176 found)

FTF Great cache and clever hide. Took MCGEODE GEO Coin #4. Left Debbie travel bug. Thanks for the great cache.

So I can see this FTF competition is going to get rough. :o Well, the Geo-tractor's fueled with high octane diesel now. :(

Congrats to Roadracer on yet another FTF. :o

You really don't want to miss this one... The next BADGES dinner will be in Dublin. This is an event that all the big names in Geocaching attend as well as lots of new cachers and everyone between.

And to sweeten the pot, Marky and I ordered some extra California Geocoins so that new cachers would have some way to get one without having to find one of Green Acher's caches. :o

The plan is to sell them at cost, which was $3.00 each. But we didn't get a whole lot, so coming to the BADGES dinner would be a good way to maximize your chances of getting one!

BTW, Bill is a Big Name In Geocaching. I, on the other hand, just have a Big Head and a Very Big Mouth. :(

Must be pick on Bill week.

I can take it.

At the coffee gathering on Saturday, I'll have a couple extra Ca Geocoins available. Like Marky and Fizzy, I figured someone would be interested... at cost of course ($3/ea). You'll just need to ask me.

Also, If anyone's interested, bring your entries for the 2nd Annual Cannonball Run Travel Bug Race (or you can drop them off in PHEROMONE cache before 3/14/04) as I'm going to be sending all the CVC racers to the New York starting line. It's free so you will save the shipping fee, packaging/shipping troubles and assure it will be there in time. [i have a special agreement and will be shipping an over night package on 3/15/04 AM].

I wish I could come Saturday. After all, the event is named after my dog! But I am in Florida...

I'm going to tell Coffee Dog next time I see her that you left her at home - missing her party - while dad sat on a beach watching people on people with mouse ears ran around screaming and playing and carring on. I'm gonna tell... :lol:

I'm going to tell Coffee Dog next time I see her that you left her at home - missing her party - while dad sat on a beach watching people on people with mouse ears ran around screaming and playing and carring on. I'm gonna tell...  :lol:

I'm in Pensacola, actually, and not on the beach. So there are no mouse ears. However, there is a Mardi Gras parade tomorrow, so perhaps there will be views of a different kind. :lol: There certainly will be a certain amount of screaming and carrying on.

Actually, the parade here is a family-friendly affair, I have been told. I think that's a good thing.

There certainly will be a certain amount of screaming and carrying on.

Actually, the parade here is a family-friendly affair, I have been told. I think that's a good thing.

So I'm confused. :P Is that screaming and carrying on going to be you or your wife at you. :P

You missed a wonderful gathering today. StashSeeker did a great job of getting us together and even bought us latte's!

Hey all

Sorry I missed the gathering Saturday..looks like a pretty good turn out. Was it actually a CVC group? From the pics/names, looks more like a Bay Area/Sacto group! (But that's cool, of course)

My mom had surgery up in Sacto on Friday so we were up there for the weekend. I totally forgot about the event until Pat mentioned it yesterday on the way home. Oops! :smile:

We did some of the newer Turlock caches and almost made it through the alphabet...only have "H" left to do but we ran out of time today.

Have a good week everyone

Jaimee :mad:

Which means E is for Emergency has been found... You see? Even Jaimee and Fatthur are beating me to the FTF's. I think I need a Whambulance. :smile::mad: Good to see you getting a way from those books now and then Jaimee.

We were able to hunt one that I've headed to several times but never made it... Doggie's Best Friend now has a California Geocoin. I figured that will get someone else out there in the near future. It had been several months since it was last logged.

Tomorrow, I hope to get out to several of my caches that are in need of repair. Isn't it funny that caches do better when they're hunted often? Leave them sit for too long and they get stolen, wet, batteries die. I think this is because most cachers leave the cache in better shape than they find them. :mad:

Which means E is for Emergency has been found...

We gave you plenty of time to try for the FTF Bill! :mad: I think the cache was out for 4 or 6 days before we hunted it. Actually, I didn't realize there were so many in Turlock now. It's nice since we spend so much time in that booming metropolis!

I placed two new ones and Pat placed one as well so you can have three more shots for the FTF Bill. If you pay me enough, I will sell you the coordinates to mine before it comes up on the site! :mad::smile::mad:

Jaimee

Edited by JaimeeG

I am considering archiving all of my caches now.  In the past few weeks, I have been getting repeated "finds" on my virtuals without any answers being sent to me.  Apparently, this is the new way to play the game!  :unsure:

Hey all you old-timers... What is the consensus on how long to wait for the cache owner to reply to an e-mail reporting the requested information for a virtual cache?

Are we waiting days? weeks? months!?

Dennis

Little Michael's birthday too? Happy birthday. Save me some cake and hide it in a park.

Yes, Pat and Michael have the same b-day, and big Mike and my daughter have the same b-day. Cool, huh?

And speaking of FTF's, congrats to Soul to Soul Connections on nabbing their first (and simultaneously robbing Bill of yet another..hehehehehehehe) :unsure::D:)

McGeode...if I send answers to a virtual and get no reply, I wait a few days and send another email. If the second email gets no reply, I would then post my find. I have never had a problem with someone not replying after the second email though. If the cache owner has a problem with you logging, they will let you know usually.

Everyone enjoying the weather? Some of the caches we found last weekend were quite damp; this rain should ensure them getting soaked! :D

Have a good day all.

Jaimee

And speaking of FTF's, congrats to Soul to Soul Connections on nabbing their first (and simultaneously robbing Bill of yet another..hehehehehehehe)  B)  :D  :D

Everyone enjoying the weather?  Some of the caches we found last weekend were quite damp; this rain should ensure them getting soaked!  :unsure:

Have a good day all.

Jaimee

It's just an awful conspiracy. Take advantage of the old farmer because his Geo-Tractor is just too slow. I know what's going on here folks. :)

Happy birthday to JaimeeG Jr... eh... Jaimee's Daughter. That's tree cakes on the same day. Should make some good hidden. :D

As far as weather, it woke me up this morning way before it was time to wake that worthless roster. Looks like we're in for some damage and losses over the next few days even though I hope I'm wrong. I'm just glad none of our crops have blossomed yet.

Speaking of Blossoms, this weekend is the Almond Blossom Festival in Ripon. It may need to be changed to the Almond Blossom Flight Festival. Anyone interested in visiting the event should make sure to solve Just Forum You before hand (if you haven't already).

For those more adventurous... I placed a new Ca Geocoin in Doggie's Best Friend. It's a nice bike ride or hike.

Edited by Green Achers

I have noticed that not very many people have found the "Micro Mac" cache that Team Roadracer placed...I found it fairly challenging. (For multiple reasons) Has anyone else attempted to find this one?

Found my first "snow" cache the other day. Snow was waist deep in some places. It may be a bit easier to do those AFTER the snow melts!! :huh: (Had a lot of fun though)

I have noticed that not very many people have found the "Micro Mac" cache that Team Roadracer placed...I found it fairly challenging. (For multiple reasons) Has anyone else attempted to find this one?

I haven't attempted it. My husband went by there while out caching one day, and his description of where he zeroed out lead me to believe it was a cache that I really wouldn't be too interested in hunting.

Jaimee :huh:

I found MicroMac tonight. I think it is easier to hunt this one at night, but must confess I got a voluntary tip from Team Roadracer.

I need to get some more caches hidden. I have several just waiting to go out. I think I will have to make one for Green Achers to nab a FTF. Hmmm. Put some nitro in the tractor Bill. :D

Found my first "snow" cache the other day. Snow was waist deep in some places. It may be a bit easier to do those AFTER the snow melts!! :D (Had a lot of fun though)

Snow? I'm not sure if you can drive all the way to the parking area, but Where Two Waters Cross can be hunted even if there's snow. It would be even better for pictures too.

I need to get some more caches hidden. I have several just waiting to go out. I think I will have to make one for Green Achers to nab a FTF. Hmmm. Put some nitro in the tractor Bill.

It only cost me a gazillion bucks per gallon... but it's full and I'm ready. What-da-ya have? Humm??? :D

I am thinking of starting a "Capture the flag" type game here in the Central Valley using geocaching. I'm still working on a few details, but have most of it laid out. Is anyone interested in a game such as this? :ph34r: It would involve two "Flag" travel bugs, and would have boundries and rules.

Has anyone ever heard of this being played elsewhere? Looking for any type of feedback, good, bad or whatever...

Can I bring the tractor?

Fill er' up with that turbo juice - In fact, use the same juice you had in it for those first-to-finds! (Congrats!)

The nice thing about this game is that it can be done over an extended period of time, rather than take a day off to do it.

Got a call from Sanruft Bright and early!!!! (OK so it was 9:00 AM)[:ph34r:] [:ph34r:] Telling me to roll my ;) laziness :lol: out of bed! Said there was a couple of caches that hadn't been logged yet!!! So we headed out. In search of that wonderful FTF! BUT We were beat :lol::ph34r: .... by who other than Mr. Green Achers himself. It's about time you use that jet fuel in that ole tractor of yours Bill!!! HAHA Congrats to you! :ph34r::ph34r:

Sanruft and I had discussed the capture the flag thing. They are doing something in the UK that is sorta similiar. It was Travel Bug Football. (or Soccer to us) I think the capture the flag would be better. I think a few of us need to get together and just make up some rules. Also the easiest way I have heard of to split the teams is based on what your birthfday is, (eityher odd #'d or even #'d) Let me know how I can help SanrufT.

Edited by Camel680
Got a call from Sanruft Bright and early!!!! (OK so it was 9:00 AM)[:ph34r:] [:ph34r:]  Telling me to roll my  :lol:  laziness  :mad:  out of bed!

My rooster has the same complaint every time I wake his lazyness up. So sorry, I must have forgot to log those two FTF's yesterday. I hate that when that happens. :D:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

So for capture the flag... how would this be different from CVC Tag and GeoPoker? ;)

Is this what you're talking about? It's a capture the flag but called MinuteWar. :lol:

Edited by Green Achers
So for capture the flag... how would this be different from CVC Tag and GeoPoker? :ph34r:

Is this what you're talking about? It's a capture the flag but called MinuteWar. :ph34r:

I checked out both sites and it is (kind-of) like that. I would like to keep it within the central valley (I can give more exact coords should we decide to go forward) and divide into two teams. To "capture" someone else's flag, it would have to travel through a pre-determined amount of caches before it can reach its "goal". Also, it must have at least (X) amount of people to touch it before it reaches its goal, must be replaced within 24 hours, it can also be stolen back for your team, etc...

I am going to type up a more specific set of rules, and certainly would like input as I certainly don't have all the answers. Anyway, you get the idea....

Any ideas to add (or subtract)??

Can I bring the tractor?

Fill er' up with that turbo juice - In fact, use the same juice you had in it for those first-to-finds! (Congrats!)

The nice thing about this game is that it can be done over an extended period of time, rather than take a day off to do it.

Got a call from Sanruft Bright and early!!!! (OK so it was 9:00 AM)[:ph34r:] [;)] Telling me to roll my :ph34r: laziness :lol: out of bed! Said there was a couple of caches that hadn't been logged yet!!! So we headed out. In search of that wonderful FTF! BUT We were beat :ph34r::ph34r: .... by who other than Mr. Green Achers himself. It's about time you use that jet fuel in that ole tractor of yours Bill!!! HAHA Congrats to you! :lol::mad:

Bill, Congratulations on the FTF's. We placed another today, but it is a little farther from home and not approved yet...

We appreciate the comments on the container sizes. :ph34r: My wife and kids are just about to the point of refusing to hunt any micros :D

Dennis

We appreciate the comments on the container sizes. :ph34r: My wife and kids are just about to the point of refusing to hunt any micros :ph34r:

Dennis

Just about? So there's still a chance for her to find Pilot 'Gel' by that rat, Fallen. :ph34r: It's sure been a while since we've heard from Matt but I know he still monitors things. Hi Fallen! :ph34r:

Thanks for the fun caches and FTF's.

BTW, Happy Birthday today to anyone that enjoys a quarter of the birthday's the rest of us have to put up with. :ph34r:

Wow, yet another game to make up for all our free time. Since Geocaching already has the lion's share of my free time, it's not too likely I'll be getting overly interested in it. CVC Tag cache is fun and it has a new look now so it will be more interesting to see everyone refind it again. Nothing like racing out to search for something you've never seen before. Right?

Also, it came to my attention that the 2nd Cannonball Run (Travel Bug Race) has new rules that I wasn't aware of. Among the rules are: The TB Tag must be new/unused; The racer must have four wheels; There's a $5 entry fee; The finish line is a secret. All this should make it fun and add some new challenges.

I'm still collecting racers for the area and will be shipping them on 3/15/04 AM (an agreement was made with the organizer to allow this). If anyone wishes to play, just drop your racer with it's new tag and that entry fee into PHEROMONE. The racers will be pick up daily and confirmation will be emailed.

For more information, refer to the Cannonball Run 2 forum.

Also, it came to my attention that the 2nd Cannonball Run (Travel Bug Race) has new rules that I wasn't aware of. Among the rules are: The TB Tag must be new/unused; The racer must have four wheels; There's a $5 entry fee; The finish line is a secret. All this should make it fun and add some new challenges.

Bill, although I already gave you a coin for this race, I think I'll pass on the new requirements. My coin is only 1 wheel, and I have no interest in the $5 entry fee. If you haven't modified it yet, don't. If you have, that's okay too. I can get it back from you the next time we meet, or you can just grab it and drop it in a cache and let it move on its own.

--Marky

I would like to say Congratulations to Sanruft on his reaching 200 Finds today! Though it is a much lower Milestone than some of you who have 500, 900, or even 2400 like Marky! But 200 seemed like it would take an eternity when I first started. (a Milestone that I still have yet to reach!) Congrats Tim on a hunt well done!!! :o

Thanks Kenny! It certainly does not qualify as a milestone for all of the "experienced" cachers, but it certainly seemed distant to me when I first started in October. (Plus I did it without any locationless caches!) :) I REALLY enjoy this sport!! (Or hobby, sickness, addiction ~ whatever you want to call it)

On another note...I think I am going to abandon the idea of a "capture the flag" type game due to lack of interest. I am going to stick to the basic idea of caching and leave the games for those who have more experience. Besides, I am well overdue for some new placements, so I will be concentrating on those for awhile.

Thanks again for the "congrats"! Your cache was a very cool gesture!

Thanks Kenny! It certainly does not qualify as a milestone for all of the "experienced" cachers, but it certainly seemed distant to me when I first started in October. (Plus I did it without any locationless caches!) :) I REALLY enjoy this sport!! (Or hobby, sickness, addiction ~ whatever you want to call it)

Hey! 200 and you don't look a day older. Yes, 200 is an important milestone as now you won't need any extra help anymore. [Just kiding.]

You really hit the ground running and you're averaging well over a dream I have... to hunt one cache per day (averaged). Pat did it so I want to. Just need to get more free time. Keep it up. We're lucky to have you playing with us.

Marky, Got you covered. :o

Hey! 200 and you don't look a day older. Yes, 200 is an important milestone as now you won't need any extra help anymore. [Just kiding.]

You really hit the ground running and you're averaging well over a dream I have... to hunt one cache per day (averaged). Pat did it so I want to. Just need to get more free time. Keep it up. We're lucky to have you playing with us.

Thanks Bill...I am honored to be ALLOWED to play a game with such fine people! (Ok, enough sucking-up!) :) I never thought about the averages...Kind of makes me tired to think of it that way!! :o

I'm working on raising my averages of hides vs. finds...I will be working on that end for awhile now. I think someone said you should be at 1 for every 10 finds. If this is the case, I will be placing about 12 more this next week (or so!) Don't worry, I will put some thought into them so they pose "different" challenges for those who come.

I really do enjoy this sport!!

I'm envious of anyone who has enough time to find that many caches and still hold down a job.  How do you do it?

Easy...... He's the boss!!! HAHA :):o:)

LOL! I'm the boss?? How come nobody ever TELLS me these things!! I'm always the LAST one to know. (And almost always the last one to find a cache!!)

200 finds and hold down a job? hmmm, is there a way to get paid searching for caches?? (Sleep is overrated) Actually, I travel a bit and have some free time in the evenings that I don't have meetings, so when I'm alone, this is the perfect time-killer. I get to see sights that I would not normally see, and get to hunt for treasures! (Ok, it's mostly junk, but I think of it as treasure!) Maybe I feel like a pirate, who knows...

What I don't understand is how people get to 2000, 3000 and ??? This seems impossible to me. Even more challenging are the logs I find saying this is "# 64 for the day"...I know my day has 24 hours, and part of the day I am sleeping...I'm not sure how many hours are in their day, but it amazes me when I see those numbers. I'm exhausted if I do 14 in one day!! I would sure like to know how they do this!