Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I just found a program for my Pocket PC that allows me to go "paperless"...(Thanks Bill for getting me started in looking for a program)

The program is working well, however, some of the icons do not appear on the sheets. (Stars for the ratings, etc...) Any idea on what I did wrong when loading these files? Everything else seems to be there (Notes, logs, etc), however, the logs don't have the icon for found-it or DNF's. It works ok, but if possible, would like it to be whole. Any ideas??

Oh, by the way, the program is called GPXSonar

Thanks for your help!! ;)

Hello my name is Camel and I'm a Cache-A-Holic.

Hi Camel,

My name is Green Achers and it's been 5 days since I've hunted any caches. I failed to get intervention. ;)

As far as paperless, I'm not sure why anyone would stay on the paper addition. It's too expensive, takes too much time and over whelms the cannary with supplies.

I'm also not up on GPXSonar. I can guess that it may scrub useless information to save memory space. I think all PDA programs do this as well. Regardless, you'll have better luck resolving the problem at the Software Forum. It would also be nice to find out the answer here if you find it.

I'm also not up on GPXSonar. I can guess that it may scrub useless information to save memory space. I think all PDA programs do this as well. Regardless, you'll have better luck resolving the problem at the Software Forum. It would also be nice to find out the answer here if you find it.

Thanks Bill - I posted a new topic in the GPXSonar forum...I will await the replies and share what I find.

Kind regards~

Tim

Hello,

I am also pretty new to all of this. My family and I have been geocaching since Labor Day 2003. I a few caches ready to place... I am wondering about the placement of caches in the ground. The guidelines say that it is not allowed, but... ;) let's say there are a few sunken caches in the CVC neighborhood. What is the feeling on this?

Thanks,

Dennis

I am wondering about the placement of caches in the ground. The guidelines say that it is not allowed, but... ;) let's say there are a few sunken caches in the CVC neighborhood. What is the feeling on this?

ummm...Have shovel, will travel!! :blink:

I have seen some in the ground - Some placed fairly recently. (Within the last few months) I have also seen a buried one. (Under about 8 inches of bark) I don't know the ruling on these kind of caches, I'm just sharing what I have seen.

I enjoy all of the caches!!

<---Looking forward to your cache placements!

Tim

Someone was kind enough to answer my forum question, and at the request of Mr. Bill of Green Achers, am posting it now:

Click on "View" at the bottom of the page, turn on "Show Images". :blink:

Well, I tried their suggestion, and while it didn't work out QUITE like it should have, I did discover that I could highlight individual icons, then hit "view" and it would appear. so the end result is that it can be done, just individually.

I sure like this forum stuff ~ You ask and shall receive!! ;)

Hello my name is Camel and I'm a Cache-A-Holic.

Hi Camel,

My name is Green Achers and it's been 5 days since I've hunted any caches. I failed to get intervention. ;)

My friends and family forced me to get intervention! HAHA ;):blink:B)

I still blame those darned clients of ours in Ohio for getting me hooked!

All this talk about the paperless stuff makes me want to go out and buy a PDA or IPaq. And I keep telling my wife this is not an expensive sport! :blink:

Edited by Camel680

I know I'm addicted when:

I go to bed at night thinking of different ways to organize and program my waypoint files

I get overly excited when I am able to import the local caches into Streets and Trips and see all the push pins in the area.

I try to plan my kids sports practices around cache areas.

I sleep with my GPS.

Do I have to go to intervention for this (or should I ask my wife to hide all the batteries in the house)?

You can import the files into streets and trips?? How?

(I guess all I have left is to sleep with my GPS.... or is that left?)

I wondered the same thing and I searched the forums and found this thread

Using GPS Babel, I convert my loc files into a txt file (Ms Streets 2002/2003). In Streets, I then import the data as push pins via the data import wizard. It's really cool. You can even export as a web file. Here's an example. I am still playing but having fun.

Good Luck

Shock therapy has not been working on me either~

Shock therapy? How many volts? Maybe we can convert it and make an adapter. Then we can go batterieless when our spouse taken them away.

Glad to hear that solution for the GPXSonar. Some caches require seeing a picture (and other times the picture will just throw you off track- wha-ha-ha).

Yes, go buy a PDA and free yourself from doing research. I picked up my Handspring for $70ish and CacheMate was $7 plus a year of Geocaching brings the total to $120 or so (gas not included). If your time is worth five bucks per hour, you'll have broken even in less than a month (not including the printer/paper/ink savings). And if your times worth $120 per hour, you're not a farmer. LOL. :rolleyes:

Using GPS Babel, I convert my loc files into a txt file (Ms Streets 2002/2003). In Streets, I then import the data as push pins via the data import wizard. It's really cool. You can even export as a web file. Here's an example. I am still playing but having fun.

Someone pinch me, I think I've died and gone to heaven! I want to learn to do this!! Thanks for the info!

And if your times worth $120 per hour, you're not a farmer. LOL. :rolleyes:

I wish I could say my time was worth $120 an hour!!! HAHA

Went out to Bill and Mr. Toad's watermark today! Great cache!!!!! I highly recoment it to all that live within driving distance.

Got to meet stash seeker while out there as well. Very nice people!

Got to meet stash seeker while out there as well. Very nice people!

Well thank you vvvvvvery much Camel680! It was my pleasure meeting the "Triple Threat", Sanruft, Juddzilla and yourself. A great group of guys!

I think we had enough Central Valley Cachers out at the Watermark for a quorum!

Congrats on your FTF today!

It was my pleasure meeting the "Triple Threat", Sanruft, Juddzilla and yourself. A great group of guys!

I think we had enough Central Valley Cachers out at the Watermark for a quorum!

I think that maybe the Watermark cache should be renamed the "Watercooler" cache...Met enough people there to chat about all of the cache topics!

Great meeting stashseeker and her husband! Very nice folks!! Hope to run into you guys again some day!

On that note ~ There a lot of us "newbies" out here in the CVC..Any signs of a meeting or..??? I think it would be fun to put faces with the names and bring thogether the new and old (errr...I mean "experienced") :mad:

On that note ~ There a lot of us "newbies" out here in the CVC..Any signs of a meeting or..??? I think it would be fun to put faces with the names and bring thogether the new and old (errr...I mean "experienced") :mad:

Yes, It's time for a gathering. I'm looking into doing another CVC Break-Fast gathering as that worked out so well last time. Stay tuned for my commitment / announcement.

I had a little free time this morning and ran out to Watermark. I really wanted to make sure all the details were correct and add a water retrieval system - for those that want to get wild.

Guess who I ran into? Stash Seeker and husband Frank. What a wonderful couple. Frank and I were able to talk about our biker years (road racing) SS got a quick tour of CacheMate. Anyway, they worked great as a team in completing Watermark.

46085_4500.jpg

Guess who I ran into? Stash Seeker and husband Frank. What a wonderful couple. Frank and I were able to talk about our biker years (road racing) SS got a quick tour of CacheMate. Anyway, they worked great as a team in completing Watermark.

ACK! Okay Bill, if you aren't surprising poor cachers while caching you're taking pictures behind their backs!!! OooOoooo paybacks!

Talk about cold and windy, sheeeez. Frank and I didn't even recognize one another when we got back in the truck, then try to comb your hair...forget about it!

Great day, even better people! Thanks again Bill!

How about if the "newbies" get together and host an event? :mad:

And, I apparently still haven't figured out how to properly use the "quote" function as evidenced by the mess above! Oh well.

Jaimee

Edited by JaimeeG
ACK! Okay Bill, if you aren't surprising poor cachers while caching you're taking pictures behind their backs!!! OooOoooo paybacks!

Be glad he snapped you in an upright position! Pat and I were watching Ron Streeter and Richard of Geocrickets hunt a cache one evening, and Pat got some great pics of Ron with his rear pointed to the sky while hunting :mad:

Always watch your back..you never know who might be waiting to catch you unaware!!!!

Jaimee :mad:

Hey...I did the quote thing right! You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

Trivia anyone?? I have done a couple of these trivia games in the past and figured I would repeat the tradition of the Valentine Trivia Game since it was the first one I ever did.

To play, find the answers to the following questions and email them to me. The first to email me with ALL of the correct answers will win a prize. The prize will be hidden, and you will receive the coordinates by the end of the week. If you have won a previous game, you are not eligible for the prize (sorry GS! :mad: ) but you are still free to play for fun if you would like.

The game is open to everyone, but the prize will be hidden somewhere in the Central Valley area.

All of the answers can be found online. There is one question that can be answered by doing some searching here on the Geocaching website as well.

Good luck!

1. Who came up with the idea of "Vinegar Valentines" in the mid 19th century?

2. Who first declared February 14th a holiday?

3. What medical discovery was introduced February 14, 1929?

4. What is the name of the individual who was the first American publisher of Valentines?

5. The first photo of a president in office was taken on February 14 in NYC. What year was this, and who was the president?

6. Who gave the first televised White House tour on February 14, 1962?

7. What was the original purpose of the love seat?

8. In the 19th century, bridegrooms were served three courses of a certain food due to its reputed aphrodisiacal powers. What was this food?

9. How would a man tell a woman "I love you" in the Hebrew language?

10. Who said, "Love is a perky elf dancing a merry jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun."

11. What is my middle name?

Edited by JaimeeG

1. Who came up with the idea of "Vinegar Valentines" in the mid 19th century?

Mr. Hershey! It was one of his failures before he discovered chocolate.

2. Who first declared February 14th a holiday?

A desperate bachelor.

3. What medical discovery was introduced February 14, 1929?

A sex change.

4. What is the name of the individual who was the first American publisher of Valentines?

Halmark

5. The first photo of a president in office was taken on February 14 in NYC. What year was this, and who was the president?

1950. Taken with Charlie Chapplin.

6. Who gave the first televised White House tour on February 14, 1962?

Ba-bwa Waltars.

7. What was the original purpose of the love seat?

Some people couldn't afford a car.

8. In the 19th century, bridegrooms were served three courses of a certain food due to its reputed aphrodisiacal powers. What was this food?

Beer.

9. How would a man tell a woman "I love you" in the Hebrew language?

He didn't need to. She knew he loved her.

10. Who said, "Love is a perky elf dancing a merry jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun."

Mrs. Claus.

11. What is my middle name?

Not Love. Tell me I'm wrong!

I'll be submitting my real answers later. But I'm keeping that last guess. :mad:

How about if the "newbies" get together and host an event? :mad:

I have no problem with hosting an event ~ Maybe I can get some tips from the forum on how to host a sucessful event. I will contact some of the newbies that I know and see if we can put our heads together...But if Bill wants to put one together, we would be MORE than happy for him to lead the way!! :mad:

Oh, and congrats to Jaimee on that "quote" thing. I had to ask how it worked!

I have no problem with hosting an event ~ Maybe I can get some tips from the forum on how to host a sucessful event. I will contact some of the newbies that I know and see if we can put our heads together...But if Bill wants to put one together, we would be MORE than happy for him to lead the way!! :mad:

I too would love to help! I've emailed Bill with my offer of a couple places.

No matter WHO ends up taking the helm, count me in! I do love to help plan social events AND feed people, hehe!

Pardon, but I've just completed all todays home work and sat down to do Jaimee(Luv)G's puzzle and ran across this:

Brain Candy Valentine's Trivia

15% of U.S. women send themselves flowers on Valentine's Day.

73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine's Day are men, while only 27 percent are women.

So, Correct me if I'm reading into this too much. Women represent over 50 percent of the population and 27 percent of all flowers are purchased by them. In other words, that's about 13.5 percent of all women. Follow me? And where did they send those flowers? To themselves. Isn't that sad. And where did the other 1.5 percent send the flowers (on Valentine's Day mind you)? To their cheep husband I'll bet! :mad:

OK, my mind's off track. I'll go back to the research. I'm still wonding what Jaimee's middle name could be. I'll start there...

As for hosting events, it's really easy. I have hosted a couple and co-hosted one with Bill. Basically, you pick a time and place and make a page. Restaurants with large meeting rooms are good. We have had one at a local restaurant here in Ceres, another at a pizza place in Ceres and one at Perko's in Manteca. The first one we hosted was actually here at our little farm, and we had over 30 folks for that.

George and Ron did one at Knights Ferry quite some time back. The outdoor ones are nice just because of the different things you can incorporate into the event, but it's a bit chilly now, huh?

I like to do games at my events just as icebreakers and so folks can get to know each other as well.

If anyone decides to put something together, let me know and I will be glad to help.

Jaimee

We have a winner for the Valentine cache....DRUM ROLL PLEASE.......Mr. Green Achers himself, Bill!! :mad::D:mad:B)

Janet of Stash Seekers mailed me first but had one incorrect answer (dang the bad luck!!), and then Bill slipped his answers in there.

I have offered a runner-up prize to Janet, and I will put that same offer out here. If anyone can email me my middle name and tell me how they found it using the Geocaching website (not a search engine, family tree, etc.), I will gladly give you a prize as well.

Jaimee

Oh..one more thing. Congrats to Pat (Fattuhr) on find #500 today!!!!!!

Jaimee :D

Edited by JaimeeG
If anyone can email me my middle name and tell me how they found it using the Geocaching website (not a search engine, family tree, etc.), I will gladly give you a prize as well.

Jaimee

Ummmm, we newbie's don't know your REAL name....to use a family tree or search engine. NEWBIE'S UNITE! LOL :mad:

Edited by StashSeeker
If anyone can email me my middle name and tell me how they found it using the Geocaching website (not a search engine, family tree, etc.), I will gladly give you a prize as well.

Jaimee

Ummmm, we newbie's don't know your REAL name....to use a family tree or search engine. NEWBIE'S UNITE! LOL :mad:

Lucky for me, I did it the way everyone could have... I did a web search for JaimeeG and found her e-ddress (that's email address). Then I did a search for JaimeeG and her e-ddress and that gave me her last name. I then did a search for her first and last name and her e-ddress and that yielded her city. The final search was with her first, last name plus city and guess what... Family Tree information came up. This after spending way too much time searching another avenue that didn't pan out for me.

On the other hand, I did have an advantage (and help) in getting FTF on You Know Who.

Congradulations to Pat on reaching 500. I know you've worked hard for it.

Lucky for me, I did it the way everyone could have...  I did a web search for JaimeeG and found her e-ddress (that's email address). Then I did a search for JaimeeG and her e-ddress and that gave me her last name. I then did a search for her first and last name and her e-ddress and that yielded her city. The final search was with her first, last name plus city and guess what...  Family Tree information came up. This after spending way too much time searching another avenue that didn't pan out for me.

Well, dayuuuum. It was my understanding we were to use the Geocaching website ONLY for Jaimee's middle name because of the ughhh hmm well I can't say it here without giving a hint...but I had reason to believe that was the case. Yes, Yes I know we were allowed to use www for the rest but the hint in the profile threw me.

My pet name for you Bill is sticking more and more everyday! :mad:

Edited by StashSeeker
Well, dayuuuum. It was my understanding we were to use the Geocaching website ONLY for Jaimee's middle name because of the ughhh hmm well I can't say it here without giving a hint...but I had reason to believe that was the case. Yes, Yes I know we were allowed to use www for the rest but the hint in the profile threw me.

Wellllll, technically, you were supposed to use the Geocaching website. But, since I didn't explicitly state that, I couldn't disallow Bill's answer (even if he did cheat to get it!! :mad: )

Now that everyone knows how to search every inch of the internet to find everything out about me, let me know if you find anything good out there!!!

Oh...by the way..my "real" name IS Jaimee :mad:

All of the answers can be found online. There is one question that can be answered by doing some searching here on the Geocaching website as well.

That same hint in the bio was responsible for my delay in solving the last question. But there's always more than one route to any destination. Geocaching has taught me that on many hunts. [insert black eye smilie here]

Hey! What happened to my favorite smilie? That's just wrong, taking a man's smilie away. Whaaa ;)

Congradulations to Pat on reaching 500. I know you've worked hard for it.

Congratulations Pat on your 500 finds!!

I had the pleasure of meeting Fattuhr, JaimeeG and C&M Morris today while out with Camel680 ~ Drove by one of my placements and found all four of them taking a 500th photo, so we decided to sneak-up on them like Bill did to Stashseekers and snap a quick shot. Anyway, stopped to say "hi" and introduce ourselves. Very nice meeting you all...And I am honored that # 500 was on one of my caches.

Great job Pat!

Hey Great Scott! Yes you missed the fun but we still have an adventure over here for your next visit. Watermark cache took a while before the FTF but I know it won't challenge you at all. :D

BTW, let me clear something up. I didn't sneak up behind any cachers and take their picture. That's not my MO, I had been walking with them and stopped to take another picture when I desided to get the one I posted as well. I have been known to walk straight up to cachers in open parks before and ask them what they think they're doing there... but I never sneak up on people. Brute Force can verify this. ;)

Here's my way of meeting the newbie and not so new cachers in the area! This is not an event...this is just an opportunity to talk cache/trash. Join me in Manteca, in a public establishment, to compare/share notes, units, software and stories!

Date: Saturday, February 21st

Time: 8:00 a.m. (early enough to get out for a day of caching)

The first 10 adult cachers to arrive will be treated to a free latte, mocha or drink of your choice. If interested in attending please e-mail me for the coordinates. Hope to see you there! ;)

:D

Hey is this thing on........? Just testing.....

Good to see that some folks are hunting that watermark. Speaking of hunting, I need try get out and do some, Thanks to Bill and constant prodding, I may just do that. So if I show up at a mysterious public place in Manteca (top 10).... Do I get a breakfast drink too??? :D <NOT coffee based> :D

:D:D:DB):D;):D

So if I show up at a mysterious public place in Manteca (top 10).... Do I get a breakfast drink too??? ;) <NOT coffee based> :D

Sure thing... just walking into N37 47.995 W121 13.915, slam your first on the counter and order that ever turns you on. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you out. [Mean while, we'll be at that other place having a few laughs.]

Welcome back to Geocaching Toad. :D And Mike too. Wow! :D