Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Wow, Great Picnic yesterday. The Bay Area and Beyond Picnic #2 was full of food, great games, lots of prizes and many caches in the area. There's several pictures posted of cachers with their names in a few of the logs (FYI).

I highly recommend going to gatherings and there just happens to be one next weekend - which I can't go to. Anyone planning on attending?

Geocaching has a new ''state map'' program. It's really nice and will be used as a tool once again. Remember the old map that would indicate if you had already hunted the caches? This one has that feature plus a whole lot more. You can get there by clicking the link on the upper left section of any cache page.

Bill of Green Achers

''All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.''

--Lily Tomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Geocaching has a new ''state map'' program. It's really nice and will be used as a tool once again.

I checked out the new State Map tool too. Not being familar with the old version (newbie) I have nothing to compare with, but it is better than what has been available. Much better.

Traveling in IL (Chicago area) this week on business and managed to squeeze in some hunting.

David of the Camelot Crew

Team GUI asked about the State Map comment as well. Here's the Old Geo-Map and the New Geo-Map.

Notice the handy Legend on the Right of the new map. You can turn on and off cache types and identify caches with Travel Bugs, Caches you've found and/or New Caches.

Bill of Green Achers

''All my life, I always wanted to be somebody. Now I see that I should have been more specific.''

--Lily Tomlin

We have a visitor coming to the greater CVC area and I was asked which must do caches we have to offer. So.... in my humble opinion, here's my list [in no order]. Feel free to add yours as well.

Master Of Disguise

Master of Disguise II

CVC Tag!!!

Hexpedition #3

Get The Point?

Flower Cam

Especially for Ron

Mr. Toad's Code Cache

Locked in a Cubical

Double Agent

Double Trouble

Scenic Surprise

Spike and Ivy Go Shopping

Cache Ninja

Black Box

Plus, I'm adding one I think everyone should do but it's not a CVC cache...

Radio K.A.O.S.

Bill of Green Achers

--Lily Tomlin

A few weeks ago there was a discussion in one of the NorCal regional threads about finding archived and abandoned caches, and retrieving the containers for re-use elsewhere. Since then I have been keeping a list of those I've run across on the website that look abandoned. I've created a repository here.

I'm sure some of you will be able to quickly suggest additions or changes to the list.

Hemlock - Cleaning up the world, one cache box at a time.

quote:
Originally posted by Hemlock:

A few weeks ago there was a discussion in one of the NorCal regional threads about finding archived and abandoned caches, and retrieving the containers for re-use elsewhere. Since then I have been keeping a list of those I've run across on the website that look abandoned. I've created a repository http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCGY4A.

I'm sure some of you will be able to quickly suggest additions or changes to the list.

Hemlock - Cleaning up the world, one cache box at a time.

I like the idea of offering abandoned caches for a last hunt, find and a potentially great LTF Prize [a Geocache ready to go after replacing the log book]. However, is this really the best way to present the abandoned caches? I looked at your cache page and couldn't figure out which cache you're presenting for the find. Who wants to spend time researching what's going on when you can just go out caching for real caches.

I suggest you figure out a better way to present this. How about just changing the icon so we can choose to hunt it (like choosing a Virtual or a Regular or a Web Cache, etc.) during our normal caching? I've included caches that where on Temp Hold just to help the owners out before. It would kind of be like that but we'd be collecting whatever we find and reporting in afterwards. Does that sound better?!

Bill of Green Achers

--Lily Tomlin

quote:

We have a visitor coming to the greater CVC area and I was asked which must do caches we have to offer. So.... in my humble opinion, here's my list [in no order]. Feel free to add yours as well.

----------------------------

The visitor mentioned above was Team SigJ from Houston, TX -- Team GUI's son and his family.

The constraints of time and small children limited them, but they found a dozen caches - five from Green Achers' list. For those with little children, Don't Panic should be added to the list. The kids loved it.

By the way, Bill of SigJ found Gung Ho Fat Choy entirely too fast. Shamed me and many other CVC cachers who needed multiple trips to the spot!

Thanks for the list Green Achers.

I just downloaded this program (which is a Beta Version) to use with my Mac OS X and Magellan Sport Pro. It really works as it claims. It uploads, downloads, deletes and synchronizes. You can also correct coordinates (in cache you're doing all those Livermore Brainy-ack puzzle caches).

I've downloaded a half dozen other programs that just don't work. This one is the only one I've been able to find that really works.

IMHO, this program is the find of the year for us Mac-aholic/cache-aholics. Now I can use the saved time to go hunting!

Magellan Waypoint Manager

[Footnote: The same download is on URL http://members.bellatlantic.net/~casoich DOES NOT WORK! This is because it's an older Beta copy so it will tell you your test time's up. No big deal but you'll waste your downloading time there. Per the creator, use http://www.studiosoich.com/MWM.html for the most current copy.]

Bill of Green Achers

''I want to know how God created this world.  I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element.  I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details." -- Albert Einstein

A cacher's Profile Page has changed again and looks more like it's former self. Anyone who has a photo displayed there can now see the photo in larger (original) format instead of the smaller format (on the left) of recent history.

The statistics tab now includes TOTALS.

The biggest addition is the gallery page. At first I couldn't understand the value of this, but as I flipped through 6 pages it DID take me back in time to those caches I found and to which I attached pictures. Kind of fun.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on November 06, 2003 at 08:47 PM.]

Thanks Ron. I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. Now that the harvests are complete, I'm looking forward to getting back to caching again.

Also new is the rewritten Geo-Rules. If I read them right, it's going to be a long time until I place another puzzle cache (if I ever do again). Reason: You have to give the Approver all the details and I'm just not willing to give a local cacher (ie Approver) the answer like that. So I'm guessing they're not going to take the time to solve it before approal. icon_confused.gif

[side note: Too many Frogs. Not enough Smilies] back.gifbad_boy_a.gifbig_smile.gifcute.gifmad.gifohh.gifsad.gifshock.gifsmile.gifsurprise.giftired.giftongue.gifsmile.gificon_smile.gif

Tag! Who's it??

Bill of Green Achers

''I want to know how God created this world.  I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element.  I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details." -- Albert Einstein

Here's some CVC mail just in...

quote:
Hi,

I just thought to let you know the Aleutian Goose cache has returned but it is in a new location so it is a cache you can "get" anew.  The geese are coming in for the winter.  We saw lots but not the huge number that will be there after we get a cold snap. It's been a warm fall.  I tried to add it as a note to the geocaching forums but anytime (even after being signed in) I have gotten a strange error message.

Glad the harvest is in.

Sherrie

Bill of Green Achers

Here's some CVC mail just in...

quote:
Hi,

I just thought to let you know the Aleutian Goose cache has returned but it is in a new location so it is a cache you can "get" anew.  The geese are coming in for the winter.  We saw lots but not the huge number that will be there after we get a cold snap. It's been a warm fall.  I tried to add it as a note to the geocaching forums but anytime (even after being signed in) I have gotten a strange error message.

Glad the harvest is in.

Sherrie

[Footnote: I think the forum has been messed up for some time. It's always difficult to post anything. Bill of Green Achers]

Bill of Green Achers

Hey, just wanted to claim first post in the CVC thread since the new forums have been online!

As nothing significant was said at the temporary CVC forum site I put up, I won't bother to post the logs here.

The one idea I did have was for a semi-official CVC webpage, much like the one that the River City folks have. I've got the webspace and hosting to do it, I'm just not much of a webmaster by today's standards.

Hey, but I got permission to use George's logo for now. ;)

cvc-geocaching.artoo.net

One idea I did have was to have write-permission for a number of folks (or perhaps anyone who wants it and doesn't abuse it) using Movable Type as an authoring front-end, much like a 'blog or slashcode style webpage, but less breakable than one where folks had write access to the whole site. As I've done 2 MT installs so far, setting up a 3rd wouldnt' be that hard at this point doing the initial web/mySQL back-end stuff... It's the HTML stylesheet and css customization that is a bit more work and where I'm not up to speed.

I'm thinking about something that would appeal to those that want to "post your local story" type of thing here, I think, and less to those that just sign "TNLNSL" and jump along to the next dozen logs to sign. ;) Alhough, writing about a days' dozen or so caches would be great too.

Edited by elmo-fried

Six months without a FTF? That's sick! And the area I've hunted before - and need to go back to clear up a DNF. Well, maybe next summer. Congradulations Ron.

And welcome Pat! Surprised to see both you and Ron getting out again. Actually, the area is getting busy with many cachers again. CVC area has been dead for so long and now half of my caches have been found. Do you think this is due to seasonal caching?

Hey Pat...welcome back! Let's go geocaching sometime.

Cool weather is definitely a plus and at some area resevoirs, it's the ONLY time to go for a longer hike.

Today I found.....Spider Legs and had a good time doing it.  :)

Ron

Ron,

Does the Coast to crest trail go around the lake now. From looking at the maps it does not look like it does. Or is it just a fire road..

Thanks

Edited by GeoCrickets

Hey Crickets...

Nope, you can hike two EBMUD trails (one on each side of the lake) but beyond that I think the Coast to Crest trail project is still incomplete.

It was beautiful there today...bright sun, little wind and completely quiet. Left only footprints...and a cache prize!

The actual location of my cache and Spider Legs is not along either of those trails, but along an old asphalt road which barely shows in most spots.

Ron

Happy Thanksgiving to CVC. As everyone introduces Geocaching to your families tomorrow... don't forget CVC Tag! is out at N 37° 33.712 W 121° 08.666.

Last year at this time some of our family (Birdbrain) introduced Geocaching to us. Nov 29, '02 we found our first cache. Friday afternoon (11/28) we made a mad dash for seven caches in order to hit 100 caches in our first year. We arrived at the Flower Cam at sunset for our one hundredth find. Thanks to Green Achers who kindly grabbed the image for us. Thanks to Birdbrain who introduced us to this silliness and to all the cachers who hunted with us, placed caches for us to find, searched for ours, helped us enjoy event caches, entertained us with emails and helped our TBug win the Cannonball Run. Hmmmm. Now we need a goal for next year. :ph34r:

Congrats TeamGUI!

I think my 100th cache placement was your first find if I remember correctly. I'll try to plan my 200th cache placement to be your 200th cache find! That will take some coordination, but with about 13 or so placements left for me to reach 200 and about 90+ for you to get your 200th find, it should work out.

Was going caching with Green Achers today but the drizzle that started at 7 am is now full rain at 10, and "life" also got in the way, so a double-whammy on caching today. We'll make it yet Bill.

Ron

Welcome back Randy! As you can see, this forum has fallen to a dead stop. Everyone's either busy or lost interest.

Caching in the CVC area is moving again. Many new or mitgrating cachers have been hunting my caches. I'd go out hunting as well but just don't have the time to play these days.

I have been working on as many Geo-Puzzles as my time and brain power will allow. I currently have 7 puzzles solved (one being For The Rest Of US - but that's not really a solved puzzle. Is it?) What I'm now hoping for is a play day so I can go hunt them. I was able to get Counterparts the other day. That was fun but not as challenging as Lamneth's Double Agent cache.

Mr. Toad and I are talking about getting together again. Last time we did something, people had to Get The Point. While I'd love to do one with Lamneth's flare, the Toad pointed out that CVC cachers don't like puzzles. I have to agree as the turn out is really low out here. The Black Box, Locked In A Cubical, The Tracy Triangle - R.I.P., Test of Genuis, all low find numbers. What do CVC cachers like?? Micro's!! [Just kidding]

Welcome back Randy! As you can see, this forum has fallen to a dead stop. Everyone's either busy or lost interest. .......

What do CVC cachers like?? Micro's!! [Just kidding]

Don't forget HIKING! I was at New Hogan Reservoir for the 2nd time this week. Found the two new ones by Wildlifeguy (earlier in the week) and today made a jaunt with friend and doggie along the Rim trail (didn't see a single sign calling it that) aiming at End Of Rim cache.

We went out of East Acorn campground parking lot and got to within .70 miles (crow flying type) and decided not to go on. I'll make it back there with the doggie only and make the whole hike. So many inlets there...we cut across a dried inlet and saved about 1.5 miles, but I could tell the remaining .70 or so was going to be a long haul cross country, so turned around.

It was a beautiful sunny day there...that was a good hike. Next time I'll grab the cache.

Ron

New cachers placing caches... it will happen. First thing is to hunt enough so you get the idea of how things go. Then you know better on how to change them. Inivation by trial.

Also, it helps if they meet someone whom encourages them. I've done this a few times and even previewed their cache ideas and/or placement. Sometimes that's all it takes to get them going.

One other thing I've done to help new cachers was creating Just Forum You. This will introduce them to this forum and give them an opertunity to read some of the resent past postings [which are rather few compared to a year ago].

Speaking of rare, welcome back Pat! Where have you been hiding? ;)

Bill....

Not to sound too much like the Grinch, but I have seen cachers with over 100 (even over 200) cache finds who have placed one...or none. Not necessarily around here, but it does happen.

When I first started caching I was promoting people to place some so I could find some and to a certain extent, it worked, but people will do what they're going to do (or not do).

It's unwise to expect a 1 to 4 ratio (hide one for every four you find), but I think anyone could maintain a 1 to 10 ratio without too much problem. ;)

Ron

100 to 200 without a stash? That's... not playing well with others.

However, I for one would much rather see one well placed cache over a dozen ''dropped out the car door'' caches. If I lift another lamp post skirt... it will be a weak moment on my part.

200 cache finds without a stash? Isn't there any dignity?? :D

Hey, Good news: That frog :lol: and I are making head way in our plans. That will add one more cache to CVC in the future. Best of all, it won't be a drive my caching. :o

It's unwise to expect a 1 to 4 ratio (hide one for every four you find), but I think anyone could maintain a 1 to 10 ratio without too much problem.  :lol:

Maintaining 200+ caches is a non-trivial task, so I don't know if *anyone* could do 1 in 10. I'm at a bit better than 1 in 20 and I'm at a point where I'm not sure if I can actively maintain much more.

Without a doubt, there's a limit to how many caches a cacher can maintain at one time. I don't think the 1/10 ratio applies if you need 100 stashes [iMHO]. If everyone held tight to a 1/10, only a little more than 10 cachers would ever hunt your given cache. That would suck.

The problem is... if you're all hunt and no plant, then big names (like Ron Streeter, Marky, etc.) end up running out of caches even though they've contributed a large amount to the hunts for us little names (Green Acers, Team Ewie, Mr. Frog, etc).

I never realized that. I have a second place at lake don pedro that I go to at least monthly, but have always been worried about cache matainence.

It would be easier for me to place a cache there then at home where I have over 100 caches in under 4 miles. I also don't write much in the forums I hope that doesn't count!

I also feel I'm not quite ready to place a cache yet let alone ten. Sorry about that.

jim

Marky...

Certainly my comment that *anyone* should be able to maintain a 1 to 10 ratio (1 hide for every 10 finds) would meet with exceptions.

My *intent* was that people who were moderately active cachers...had 100 to 200 finds....wouldn't be out of line to have 10 to 20 *hides* as well.

In regard to maintenance. I've found that whether one of my caches is 50 miles from me or 10,000 miles away from me, if I can't get to it, there is almost always a cacher who is willing to either supply a new container or a new log....that being the case, *maintenance* (IMHO) doesn't appear to be a major consideration.

We are, after all, talking about small containers (hopefully well hidden) which are sitting occupying no more than a square foot of space and usually much less...impacting the world very little if at all. This speaks to arguments some years ago voiced by Dave Ulmer (geocaching grandfather) who at one point assailed the forums with "You are littering!" diatribes. In some ways he's right of course, but given the *hidden* aspect of this litter, again, it's almost a moot point.

Ron :lol:

Hey Jim...

Just continuing the conversation and not implying that any person in particular is being addressed here.....in your personal case (having found about 100 caches) what determines WHEN you would be ready? This might have some implication for others who have not yet placed a cache.

I would think that having found 100, you would have some ideas about what works and what doesn't work.

I have been providing some guidance to a Stockton area cacher who has around 100 and who has recently placed some. Part of my advice to him was to employ what he liked about his finds and leave out what he didn't like about his finds when placing his first cache.

Another consideration in this discussion might be the area in which one lives. If I read your post correctly (and looking at your profile) you found 100 or so within four miles of where you live. Here in the central valley I don't think we could do that, might be a broader circle.

However, in my time caching, I have found caches AS THEY APPEAR (until recently) so I might be wrong about the density here...it is certainly less dense than the "bay area". A newcomer has a TON of caches to look for. When I placed my first cache *Blue Top* it was cache number 644 (I think) in the world. It was not uncommon to drive 60 miles to find ONE cache...compare that to finding 100 in a 4 mile radius.

On the other hand, the assessment (I have heard in the past), that "...there are plenty of caches available without me placing any" doesn't wash with me...I believe everyone should contribute to the activity. A comparison once made was that if a person was invited to a Christmas smorgasbord every year for years (or more than one party) and NEVER brought a dish to share, that the person certainly would be viewed in a certain way by all those others who contributed.

Just thoughts...no reason for anyone to go ballistic here.

Ron

Welcome Jim! Glad to have you here. Sorry if the current topic at hand offended you but it's not meant as an attack. Welcome. ;)

As far as you meg-hunters... There's a difference between caches placed and caches maintained. Of course, all active caches are to be maintained. However, since there's a limit to what someone can keep up on at one time, it dictates how many caches you can keep active.

With that said, let me ask. Is the ratio of active caches placed -over- caches hunted? I think not. Rather, it's that amount of total caches placed over hunted.

This being the case and doing a self evaluation, I've found 278 caches and placed 34 of which 23 are active. One of the archived caches was approved and then archived [the ultimate of admin power]. Another two caches I archived before they were hunted because I wanted to improve the quality of my caches. All the remaining archived caches where either stolen, fenced in, developed on or [my favorite] slashed to improve quality. Oh - almost forgot, Quail's Roost was homesteaded. :huh:

The results of all this work has a yield of 523 finds for other cachers [not including the 33 finds for our CVC gathering I co-hosted]. Compare that to my 278 finds and you end up with an important ratio. This is my numerical contribution to maintaining and promoting Geocaching.

Now- I've got to go wake the rooster up for once. TTFN ;)

Edited by Green Achers
Another consideration in this discussion might be the area in which one lives. If I read your post correctly (and looking at your profile) you found 100 or so within four miles of where you live. Here in the central valley I don't think we could do that, might be a broader circle.

Ron Streeter

There are 11 caches within 4 miles radius of Green Achers but they're great caches. To find 100, you need to open the radius an additional 10 miles.

I'm heading to Jim's radius if I ever wish to up my finds! Where is that?? :huh: