Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Anyone wanna team up on Cachefest 2003 (George's new one)?? icon_biggrin.gif I know the answers to at least 4 of the questions for sure and probably the other two as well, but I was a bit confused by a couple things.

If you don't want to team up, do you want to buy some answers???? icon_wink.gif

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

Anyone wanna team up on Cachefest 2003 (George's new one)?? icon_biggrin.gif I know the answers to at least 4 of the questions for sure and probably the other two as well, but I was a bit confused by a couple things.

If you don't want to team up, do you want to buy some answers???? icon_wink.gif

Jaimee

Got the answers and I'm selling at a lower price than Jaimee. icon_wink.gif

...and that's why we don't rent pigs!

[This message was edited by Great Scott! on July 09, 2003 at 09:25 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Fresno Bee Article...

I haven't read the whole thing yet but it looks good so far

http://www.fresnobee.com/lifestyle/story/7084135p-8017153c.html

Wanna go for a ride?

The Fresno newbies are already hitting the streets. My mouth is salivating... thinking about all the new Fresno caches that will be popping up soon.

...and that's why we don't rent pigs!

I was able to figure out the coordinates earlier this morning, but I didn't rush out to hunt it yet. The night is still young though!

That would be impossible to figure out if you were a newer cacher and didn't know any of the history! It was fun to do though and brought back some funny memories.

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

_Hey Bill_

Have you planted any caches down around Las Vegas? I'll be headed there in a couple of weeks. Don't know if I'll have time to cache, but I'm sure going to try. I know my brother has one there.

CQ CQ CQ DX......

Yes, I did plant two CVC style caches in Vegas. However, they both dissapeared after not too long. I asked for help on replacing them but things just didn't work out with the one and only willing cacher (nice guy though) over there. I know this is the type of reason why Geocaching is not allowing distant (aka, Vacation) caches. [Why don't they call them distant caches?? I'm waiting for my next vacation so I can plant a cache real close to home but never the less will be grounds for denial.]

Looks like George got those bugs worked out...

Bill of Green Achers

Some asked questions are already known. Gen. 3:9

Well, we decided to take a ride tonight and look for George's new one. Unfortunately, it wasn't revealed that the cache area is not accessible after dark. I guess it technically is "accessible"...it's just a matter of whether or not you choose to obey the "no trespassing after dark" signs! icon_eek.gif

We have a funny story to tell about this hunt, but I don't want to give too much away. Suffice it to say that we were unprepared for a nighttime hunt, I took my Volvo down a yucky, bumpy dirt road several times, and we learned that Pat is pretty good at hiding when he thinks cops with their sirens on are coming after him!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Oh well...I know someone else is going to hunt this tomorrow. We will make another run during daylight hours..soon!

Jaimee

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=79163

Took off the puzzle since the FTF prize are for Saturday so if you want 4 tickets to Countryfest 2003. They're sitting there for you.

GA got the FTF but he left the ticket since he couldnt' use them

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Ya, and the prize was only 80 bucks... but the FTF is priceless. There are just some things that money can't buy. For everything else, Master-Charge. C H A R G E ! ! ! icon_biggrin.gif

I hope someone gets them and has a great time! We would have love to have scooped 'em up but already have other plans. Several of my friends said they wanted them but I pointed out they were intended for Geocachers.

Thanks again to Jaimee as I could have never completed the puzzle without her help.

The hunting hours are ''8 AM to dusk.'' While it may be hard to explain hunting after dusk, it could be explained at 6:13 AM. LOL

icon_biggrin.gif [Report Poaching and Pollution  1-888-DFG-CalTIP] icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

The hunting hours are ''8 AM to dusk.'' While it may be hard to explain hunting after dusk, it could be explained at 6:13 AM. _Bill of Green Achers_

My sentiments exactly. It's hard enough to explain what you are doing when you get caught caching in daylight hours, but how are you gonna explain yourself in that particular place at night? Sure, you most likely wouldn't get in trouble, but what if you happen upon an unhappy police officer who feels like giving someone grief? Last time I checked, trespassing could land you in jail and/or with a hefty fine. No thanks...I will stick to "legal" caching as much as possible.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

I was just laughing at what I reread there, Bill. 6:13 a.m...were you trying to explain it to me at 6:14????? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Funny! Huh?? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
So who finally got the tickets?

They're up for grabs to the next Poacher... er, Law Abiding Geocacher. Better get there before Jaimee. Oh, I think Tonto2002 could be interested as well.

George, Thanks again for the fun. The tickets can still be collected on the day of the event in route. Maybe if CVC doesn't get it together, the Bay Area will swoop in. [it's a little like ''It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World!'']

Bill of Green Achers

I won't be going out for the tickets. My main goal was to solve the puzzle and try for the FTF. I don't even really know what the tickets are for, but if the word "country" is indicative of a music style, I would probably stay farrrrrrrrr away!! icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

quote:

I hope someone gets them and has a great time! We would have love to have scooped 'em up but already have other plans. Several of my friends said they wanted them but I pointed out they were intended for Geocachers.

Lend your friends the gps, or at least, load the waypoints for them and tell them to go get them.

I just don't want the tickets to go to waste. Call Tono up, I don't think he reads the forum.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:

Call Tono up, I don't think he reads the forum.

Did you mean Tonto? I had a DNF on a cache of his/theirs in Livermore and haven't heard any status on the cache. Just recently checked Tonto's profile and it looks like they haven't been on the site since 6/6. Maybe they are on vacation.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

Maybe they are on vacation.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

That reminds me, I see his daughter in summer school once in a while. Saw her this morning but didn't think to tell her to go look.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

quote:

I know this is the type of reason why Geocaching is not allowing _distant_ (aka, Vacation) caches. [Why don't they call them distant caches?? I'm waiting for my next vacation so I can plant a cache real close to home but never the less will be grounds for denial.]

_Bill of Green Achers_

So, no more distant caches? What are the limits? 100 miles from home? 200? 500? And, will they be denied and archived even if the person can get to them and check on their condition on a regular basis? Will I be needing to send in my work schedule and route with each cache I plant? Not that it matters. Have one more to place and then that may be it for me. Just curious though...

CQ CQ CQ DX......

quote:
Originally posted by Marky:

quote:

Call Tono up, I don't think he reads the forum.

Did you mean Tonto? I had a DNF on a cache of his/theirs in Livermore and haven't heard any status on the cache. Just recently checked Tonto's profile and it looks like they haven't been on the site since 6/6. Maybe they are on vacation.

--Marky

I sent Tonto a smoke signal today and he returned the same saying he's too busy (not on vacation) to go enjoy himself.

It looks like a busy weekend for everyone. I'm not sure how will pick those tickets up but after tomorrow, they're mine! (Keep sake you know).

Marky, What Tonto2002 cache are you having problems with? I've done them all.

Brute, just don't take a ''vacation'' and everything should be ok. I think the term ''vacation'' is a weak discription for ''you'll never be back to keep the cache running and you'll end up having someone do the work for you or just giving up.'' I've done this a few times so I have no room to talk - Other than to say they where fun for all the people that hunted them. I believe it was better to have them for their short life than to not have them at all. (IMHO)

Last topic... I think Ron is dangerous with micro caches. He is way too clever and way too talented to waste his time with such an unfair advantage. Since Ron's able to hid a 5 gallon cache in the middle of an active paintball field with no grass on it... I say, just say no to micro's, Ron. icon_biggrin.gif [As fun as they are of course.] Drop the micro and no one gets hurt!! LOL

Bill of Green Achers

quote:

...if the word "country" is indicative of a music style, I would probably stay farrrrrrrrr away!! icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

I see we have this particular aspect in common. I think you have to be really REALLY drunk to like that stuff... Then again, it might just make it worse! icon_eek.gif

70546_1300.gif

"I don't care if your world is ending today because I wasn't invited to it anyway..."

Set August 16th a side for a great day of Geocaching. The CVC Break-Fest has been submitted and should be posted soon. The fun starts at 10 AM and will just keep getting better. [No country music provided - LOL]

The event will include games, prizes, food (you buy) and who knows what else? JaimeeG knows!

The plotting and planning are already in the works so keep that date available and be prepared to have lots of fun.

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
The CVC Break-Fest has been approved. That was quick!

I'm interested... but I won't know for sure until the morning of with my schedule.

frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

For all the talk you hear about knowledge being such a wonderful thing, instinct is worth forty of it for real unerringness. Mark Twain

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Take a look at your cacher profile, then click on the index tab marked Cacher Stats (or words to that effect).

Neat!

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

I saw that last night and I really like the change. The only problem is it's more difficult to now list that cachers (a) Finds and (;) Stashes. To get around this problem, you need to look at one of the caches they've placed and then click on the Find... other caches hidden of found by this user.

Bill of Green Achers

Bill has posted the quiz questions for our Break-Fest coming up next month. If you plan on attending, be sure to visit the page and get the questions answered! There will be a nice prize for the winner of this little game, and it should be interesting to see just what we really know about each other!!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

For those that don't complete Jaimee's form, I'll be happy to do it for you... but it won't be pritty. icon_biggrin.gif

New Subject:

I'm not trying to stir things up but would like to keep Geocaching in good light. Here's my concern...

I tried to hunt a cache that is completely fenced off (Barbed Wire - cattle fencing). It has three gates - all of which are chained shut with locks. Everyone states that they had to jump or climb through the fencing. Grant you, there are no signs posted any where - not even shot up signs.

I wonder why this is not Trespassing and why no one appears to care. Am I wrong in thinking this is not a good representation of Geocaching? I'm OK with not jumping off a bridge just because everyone else is. I'd just hate to give ammo to the geo-police (like Ranger10).

Thoughts? Comments?

Bill of Green Achers

quote:

Am I wrong in thinking this is not a good representation of Geocaching?

I don't think you are wrong in that thought. If the cache is on private property and the owner of the property gave permission for the hide, then that should be mentioned on the cache page. Even if there are no signs posted, it usually is pretty clear when you are trespassing onto someone's property (locked gates and barbed wire would probably be a pretty good sign).

It seems there are many cachers who feel that they can hide their stuff wherever they choose and disregard any rules.

Has anyone asked the owner of this particular cache about his/her placement?

Jaimee

I believe my DNF posting was read by the owner but maybe I should inquire dirrect. Here's what I posted:

quote:
The gates (north and south) appear locked. The simple way in looked most inviting but I didn't want to explain to any local how I wondered in via hopping their fence. I'll be back if I can be assured I'm not trespassing. (There are no signs that say keep out. Only the complete fence with gates locked would indicate someone likes to keep their pile of -what used to be a car- safe.)

Interested but waiting.

Most all others have written something to the same effect. It looks like one gate was unlocked once as well:

quote:
We too found the gates to be locked, so we went to the closest spot and ducked under the wire. Just as we had done so, a police car rolled over the hill, slowed down at our car and gave us the eye. They must have figured we were harmless as the drove off without any questions. Is there a 'legal' way into this cache?

quote:
I stopped across the street but then decided not to climb the barbwire. So we drove down and parked at the gate which was unlocked.

quote:
The area we drove by was fenced so we parked and walked in through the unlocked gate where we parked to the north.

quote:
Getting to the cache was a little tricky. There's an easy way to get to it that involves about a 0.3 miles walk, but I took the closer, more direct route!

Bill of Green Achers

It was probably the farmers fault. Every time I potentially controversial subject gets posted, people run. My apologies.

So, it appears the CVC Break-Fest is going to have a great turn out. We have 50% of our private room RSVP'd and several others interested but can't commit at this time. Now, if I can just get more time to do a little more work with the plotting...

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Went caching with TeamGui yesterday; two new ones for me and about 6 for the GUI.

Ron...caching...alert the press!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I have done no caching lately. There have been a few that I wanted to look for, but it's just too danged hot. There is always Monterey though....

Jaimee

quote:

I have done no caching lately. There have been a few that I wanted to look for, but it's just too danged hot. There is always Monterey though....

I've never cached in Monterey... but I found one about 300 feet away from it today!?! And yes, it was rather hot... but it beats working.

Bill of Green Achers

quote:

I've never cached in Monterey... but I found one about 300 feet away from it today!?!

Hmmm...I am guessing that we most likely will be hunting for that same cache about this time next month, along with a few others in the area! Are they worth the hunt?

At least it is not a triple digit day..yet. I went out a bit ago to check on my pig, and there was actually a nice little breeze blowing. YIPPPEEEE!

Jaimee

quote:

Are they worth the hunt?

I went out a bit ago to check on my pig, and there was actually a nice little breeze blowing. YIPPPEEEE!

Jaimee

All real caches have an attraction. There's a 15 step multi that I was thinking about being possesed over... but then I got a life. What were they thinking?? Who wants to hunt 15 locations so they can log one find? Oh, sorry - the 16th is a real cache I believe. [no thanks]

Also Jaimee, are you planning to provide the bacon to the gathering? icon_biggrin.gif

Keep having fun all.

Bill of Green Achers

Okay..I am just going to pretend that people aren't talking bad about my pig!!!! icon_mad.gif Pigs have feelings too, ya know.....

I saw that multi-cache you are talking about Bill. I am about 99% sure that I won't be hunting it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Pat goes for it. That will give him something to do while the females shop. I'll hold his GPS hostage until he coughs up some shopping money!

Jaimee

quote:

That will give him something to do while the females shop. I'll hold his GPS hostage until he coughs up some shopping money!

Silly... you don't need money when you use a credit card! Duh! Besides, then you can ignore those useless price tags all together. I thought you said you knew how to shop. icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif [i'll bet this gets a reply out of Pat icon_wink.gif]

As far as that bacon... er... pig, I'll back off. BTW, how much does Ms. Piggy weight?

Bill of Green Achers

I will tell you something you might find VERY odd. I have NO credit cards! My philosophy is that if I don't have the cash, I don't need it.

The piggy's name is Mu Shu (yes, as in "mu shu pork"). I am not sure about his caching capabilities. Thus far, his only real task has been to look cute and eat. I am pretty much the only one who sees his beauty though....sigh.

When Michael Morris was out here one time, I took him out to see the pig. He came around the corner and stopped suddenly and then said "What on earth is that thing???" Apparently, he didn't think Mu was too attractive. icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

quote:

The piggy's name is Mu Shu (yes, as in "mu shu pork"). I am not sure about his caching capabilities. Thus far, his only real task has been to look cute and eat. I am pretty much the only one who sees his beauty though....sigh.

Jaimee

How big IS this porker anyway? While he may not be able to FIND caches, couldn't he be a cache guardian?

Place a cache called *Pig Out!* and make it a night-time only hunt. Place the cache (and the tethered pig) around a blind corner in a culvert. Then when the cachers come in the only way they can (straight from the front) the squeals should be audible all the way to Ceres...from the cachers, not the piggy!

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I have no clue on how much my pig weighs. He is a pot-belly and isn't huge...maybe 80 pounds??

Man..I wish I would have thought of that idea for a cache placement!! Although he isn't very big, he is kind of intimidating because he has tusks. Also, he will sometime yell quite loudly when anyone is outside by his pen. That would have been great to watch someone meet up with him unexpectedly!

Jaimee

We made it home last night and see the homework ahead of us. Added to the normal list, we let the goats out to eat down some of the wild grasses which they did... right before playing king of the hill... on my nice - never been scratched car! Amazing that there are no dents as there were four on top when we saw what was going on.

So much for caching this weekend.

Bill of Green Achers