Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

I do believe other caches are disabled and they are not puzzle caches. icon_smile.gif

I used that as an example because it was the specific one mentioned by Bill a few days ago. My point was that if I had chosen to solve the puzzle to find that cache, I would have been disappointed to learn that it was no longer there/not available/whatever.

I was looking around through some of the area caches that are temporarily disabled right now. Many of them have been that way for months. There is even one that was found recently, 3 months after the cache was disabled (but never archived)! Maybe we should start hunting those that are disabled just to see if they are in fact there and the owner was just too lazy to go and check on them! icon_razz.gif

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

quote:

TOG is actually one of my favorite caches and I wish people would get off their lazy ***s and get it! icon_razz.gif

The page shows the cache as being temporarily disabled. Does that mean it's missing? Perfect example of why I don't do puzzle caches.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

TOG has never gone missing. What happens is that it ends up moving from it's intended position due to mother nature or other issues. Since I haven't checked on it in a while I want to disable it so that people can get the full effect. It's been found in it's alternate position and but never missing.

Since the cache is in a such a remote place, it takes an extra effort to get it. It's never gone missing though.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

I found the following in a log earlier. I had been meaning to see my doctor about this so as I could find a quick cure!!

"I guess the disease of the central valley geocachers is spreading."

Anyone know what exactly it is that we have here and how to get rid of it?? I am SCARED!!!! icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

Oh, you have it all right... denial is one of the symptoms. Now you're only hope is to go do two puzzle caches and call us in the morning.

Maybe we get it from touching the CVC Tag Cache. And if that's the case, Brute's got it too because when he went to play on the tracks one day [spoiler spoiler spoiler]. Hey Brute, how's your ride doing? I hope it's back on the road again.

Bill of Green Achers

''There's three kinds of people in the world... Those that can count - And those that can't.''

Another day to check my caches:

Merced River Bridge

I love this cache! It's always there when I check on it! I'm just wondering why more of you haven't gone after it. Out of the way? Changed the difficulty from a 3 to a 3.5 because of some new stuff there.

Arachnophobia

Archived. I think it is no longer there. I didn't realize that SwimJim had found it on the ground somewhere and moved it so I might have to go back and check. Also... There is no way in H377 I was going to stick my hand back in there to replace it!

Just Another Denny's

This cache is doing really well and everyone finds it so I am changing the difficulty from a 2 to a 1.5

Pilot ‘Gel'

IS BACK!!! The area is a little different so I moved this cache slightly. The only problem is it might deserve 5 stars. Oh well, I'm leaving it at 4.5. Any suggestions for those of you who found it?

Wonderful!

70546_1300.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=43261

IS BACK!!! The area is a little different so I moved this cache slightly. The only problem is it might deserve 5 stars. Oh well, I'm leaving it at 4.5. Any suggestions for those of you who found it?

Next time I go over to this area I will take a look and let you know, I thought it was a five the first time. icon_redface.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I have a question about the stats page that lots of folks use to see where they stand. I noticed that hides are used to calculate their overall standing. If you archive a cache, does that then subtract from the stats page and move you to the appropriate standing?

A little light bulb went off while I was browsing around the Geocaching site earlier. I was wondering if some folks just temporarily disable their caches instead of archiving them so that they don't go down in the standings.

Also, does anyone know why the number hidden would be different on a person's profile page than the actual listing of hidden caches? I have seen a few profiles that show, for example, 200 hidden. When you click on the "hidden" button to see a listing, there might only be 70. Why is that?

Just some things I was curious about there.

Maybe the admin folks archiving caches that have been temporarily disabled for months is a good idea. The funny thing about that though is that they don't seem to be archiving any of the (local) caches that are temporarily disabled with either no explanation of why or something to the effect of "I will check on it soon" from 2-3 months ago! icon_confused.gif

Have a nice week all.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey Jaimee...

I've noticed the same thing. I haven't looked at mine for awhile, but I think I show 185 hidden in my profile, but a few less than that when I look at my hidden list. I too have seen profile numbers that are TWICE what one sees when going to a list of that person's hides.

I originally thought it was due to archived caches, but I don't know.

I guess to be totally honest, this kind of thing USED to be important to me to a certain extent, but now I could care less.

As far as the STATS readings, I believe that nothing that happens on the web site regarding archiving, etc has any affect on the stats, but of course...I could be wrong. I haven't looked at the stats page for about a month...I think I am number 5 or something in California now...and dropping!

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Has anyone here been to the Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy? We were thinking of going over there, and I just wondered if anyone had visited and had an opinion of the park.

Thanks!

Jaimee

quote:

Has anyone here been to the Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy? We were thinking of going over there, and I just wondered if anyone had visited and had an opinion of the park.

Joani and I have had season passes the last three years, so we must like it. However, it is a bit different from your average theme park. There is very little that would interest a kid older than 12. There aren't many 'fast' rides. Most are fun or tame rides aimed at younger ages. Because of this, it is a great place to bring 5 to 10 year olds.

The reason we enjoy coming here is mostly for the gardens. We like to stroll around looking at the various interesting plants and trees. It's all very peaceful and relaxing.

It does get hot in Gilroy, so watching the weather will help you to have a favorable experience.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Thanks for the info Marky. I had looked at the website and was not at all disappointed to see there were really no BIG rides (I don't like 'em).

The gardens look really fun to explore!

Jaimee

quote:

The Camelot Crew just visited Bonfante Gardens on May 31st. We had a great time. We have small children so the rides were nicely suited for our family, but I would agree with Marky and Joani...the gardens are the real attraction. The park was extremely clean too. The day we visited the crowds were minimal resulting in no waiting in long lines. All in all we had a fabulous time. If we lived closer we'd proably buy season passes too.

BTW, Someone needs to place a cache closer to the park. There are some not too far on either side, but nothing right near the turn off point for the parking. Got to be someplace safe to place one.

David of the Camelot Crew.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Just for you bill.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=73614

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Your a good man, George. I'm on it but will not be able to be the FTF (unless everyone else gets stumped) as I have a bunch of home work going on right now. Thank you in advance.

I'm not sure why this thread only rates a 4. I believe it has more logs than any other thread... that must say something.

Bill of Green Achers

''There's three kinds of people in the world... Those that can count - And those that can't.''

quote:
Originally posted by elmo-fried:

quote:
Originally posted by Camelot Crew:

How come this thread only gets a four-star rating?

I think non-CVC cachers come in a rate the forum lower. I'm sure all CVC folks have already clicked on the "Rate It!" link at the top-left of the thread view and voted for 5...

Jason Roysdon

http://jason.roysdon.net/

I somehow doubt that.

70546_1300.gif

Another clean up day:

The Down Under

Looking great!

The Green One Returns (son of fishing hole)

Was actually missing. I think the little bird droped it or something...

The Classroom Building

Yet another one gone. I like this one so I replaced it. I know there was destruction here a few months ago. Maybe they liked it.

Have a nice... something!

70546_1300.gif

Now here's a how-do-you-do.

I received an email from a Creston Aldridge suggesting a code response for my Picnic Time cache.

It was the wrong code and when I emailed him back and suggested that the email he sent me didn't give an indication of which cache he was responding to, he sent me a 2nd email and mentioned the Picnic Time cache and asked for a clue.

Gentleman cacher that I am, I gave him a clue which will probably result in a find.

I forgot to ask him what name he used in geocaching and so I sent a 2nd email to him asking his caching name and also posed this question..."You're not Ranger10 are you?"

After I pushed the send button I went to look at the profile on Ranger10 and sure enough, the nospam address is for c....aldridge.

I sent him a 3rd email ... a polite one... and suggested that with the provided clue I was sure he would be able to find the Picnic Time cache and that I hoped he would respect its *innocuous* nature and let it remain.

We'll have to see what happens.

Ron

Here is Ranger10's answer to my email to him.

Since it is in an area where you are not supposed to be, it will probably be

gone when I find it. The "no" sign out there means what it says. The only

place you can be is on the road or at the fishing spot. The entry at the

gate is to allow employees to enter to open the gate. People are allowed in

the aforementioned areas only as a courtesy. If it is abused, access can be

denied to everyone not authorized to be in there. Everything beyond the

gate is a protected nature preserve. The rules of cache placement state

that caches are not to be placed where people are not allowed to be. In

Sacramento County, that means nature areas along the American River Parkway,

Cosumnes River Preserve, Regional Sanitation, and anywhere else it says "NO

TRESPASSING" or "AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL/VEHICLES ONLY". Please adhere to

these rules in the future. If you are found where you are not supposed to

be, you can be cited.

Thank you,

Ranger 10

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Here is Ranger10's answer to my email to him.

Since it is in an area where you are not supposed to be, it will probably be

gone when I find it.

That's an interesting statement. If it's gone, how will he find it??

So, this guy basically suckered you into a hint so that he could intentionally find and remove your cache?

Someone has WAY too much time on their hands. I know of some very worthwhile organizations that could use some volunteers if he needs something to do in his spare time. icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

How can you say 'Fearsome confused sometimes' and criticize someone else who says 'Eureka! I found it!"? Especially when considering the history of the word 'eureka' indicates that it was not a redundant statement. In the gold rush days, there was a gold processing station in Eureka. When miners found gold, they said 'Eureka' to indicate that they were going to the town to sell what they had mined or panned.

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainGPS:

Especially when considering the history of the word 'eureka' indicates that it was not a redundant statement.

Historically, the word 'eureka' means "I have found it" from the Greek word 'heureka.'

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Somethin I ran across

Also please be peruse the Frequently Asked Questions, particularly the sections, What is usually in a cache? and What shouldn't be in a cache?. One of the biggest problems we approvers see is people putting knives in caches. Please, please do not put any type of knife in a geocache. Not even a small pocketknife. Many people cache with their children, and sometimes the children are the first to find and open the cache. We don't want these kids getting hurt now, do we?

Nothing But What Ron?? hehehe

CQ CQ CQ DX......

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

No code caches, no knives....soon, no caches !

Oh well, if they stop approving caches, we can just all go around and find those that have been temporarily disabled for the last six months but are still in place!! icon_wink.gif

quote:

Oh well, if they stop approving caches, we can just all go around and find those that have been temporarily disabled for the last six months but are still in place!! icon_wink.gif

I've got a few of those myself though some of them have been archived of late. When they get archived...and then if you take care of them...they can get re-activated without too much trouble.

It's interesting to see the approvers come and go. There are more of them now than when I was doing it two years ago, but some still leave for one reason or another.

Ron

New Cache Arhived

Well, the new cache I had been talking about has been archived. Total waste of nearly $30.00. Not going to place anymore caches and I'll perhaps archive all my caches now. Not in the mood to play anymore. Can find something else to spend my 3 bucks a month on...........

CQ CQ CQ DX......

Say it ain't so Brute !

Give it some time and maybe things can be arranged so your cache will be *acceptable*.

We need good, creative and fun caches in the area and you are one of the folks who provide them.

Give yourself a little cooling time please.

Ron

Had a nice email from Hemlock about caching in general and the archiving and approval process. This is a learning experience for everyone and even though it's a couple of years old now, geocaching is still evolving.

I've found that straight-forward communicating with TPTB at geocaching.com usually works out ok.

I have only had one cache archived that I couldn't legitimately argue a case for and I have some new ideas for it that might work, so everyone should keep an open mind when working out the *sore spots* on these things.

Ron

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, Brute. I spent five hours creating a puzzle cache for a friend in Ventura, and it got archived for being a vacation cache. People are archiving perfectly good caches that I haven't found because they want to "open up" the area to new caches because of the 0.1-mile guideline. And now, I can't even run a nearest cache search or log any caches. The website seems to be going out of its way to make things less fun. Anyway, I figure unless users protest, nothing will change. So, I've disabled all my California caches for now (better for Ron, he never liked the puzzle caches anyway), save the one containing a travel bug.

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

Yeah, I know where you're coming from, Brute. I spent five hours creating a puzzle cache for a friend in Ventura, and it got archived for being a vacation cache. People are archiving perfectly good caches that I haven't found because they want to "open up" the area to new caches because of the 0.1-mile guideline. And now, I can't even run a nearest cache search or log any caches. The website seems to be going out of its way to make things less fun. Anyway, I figure unless users protest, nothing will change. So, I've disabled all my California caches for now (better for Ron, he never liked the puzzle caches anyway), save the one containing a travel bug.

At least you've able to do anything with your caches. Every time I look at a cache, the system logs me out. I also can't look at Members Only Caches even though I'm way paid up.

I'll be putting all my caches on hold as well and holding off on future hunts until Geocaching figures things out. Also, if my access doesn't get restored, I'll be demanding a refund.

It's like I told Hemlock after he (or she) contacted me dirrect... ''If you treat adults like children, they'll act like one.''

I'm not interested in a few do-gooders stepping in to dictact their issues on me. And all this is just spinning me up.

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
I also can't look at Members Only Caches even though I'm way paid up.

Bill, I had the same problem. Find and delete any cookies related to the geocaching.com site. When you log back in, new cookies will be created. You then should be able to look at member sites again.

Scott

...and that's why we don't rent pigs!

Thanks Great Scott... it didn't help but I appreciate the advise anyway.

Also, I tried but couldn't find reference to Geocaching not allowing coded caches. There are a whole lot of many other things you can't do that we've enjoy so much in the past, but what about coded caches?

Oh, for the record, I'll leave Pheromone active. There's too many Travel Bugs racing to it to have me add doubt in the owners minds. (I'll leave that job up to Geocaching.)

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

At least you've able to do anything with your caches. Every time I look at a cache, the system logs me out. I also can't look at Members Only Caches even though I'm way paid up.

Actually, I have the same problem. I disabled my caches Saturday night before they broke the website yesterday.

I just got through editing and/or posting notes to two of my caches, Valet #4 and Olive Grove which are at Pardee lake and two of seven caches I have there. Web site seems to work OK for me.

These caches are pretty remote and not that many cachers are invested in hiking enough to go for them. So far only Two Dollar Bill and Lil Devil have made any effort in their direction.

In regard to caches which don't get much activity being in danger of being *archived*, that plain doesn't make much sense to me, and I hope it's not a reality that THAT is happening. I saw one approver had looked at my Olive Grove cache 4 times (most recently in the last few days). Lack of *attendance* at a cache SHOULD NOT be a criteria for archiving.

Caches might be remote OR all the LOCAL cachers may have gone to a cache and until new cachers come along, it could sit for awhile.

I have one cache in Colorado...don't worry it's a museum virtual and needs no maintenance...that can only be visited during a 3 month period. Only a few people have gone for it because of its remote location from active cachers.

Just some thoughts.

Ron

Broke it? That's no good. Thanks for letting me know.

Since Geocaching appears to want total control of our caches (but they're not able to do all the hard work it takes to place the cache), I think archiving all the active caches will make them happy.

Too bad there isn't another web site that can provide our old Geocaching game. Jumping ship should also please 'em. I'm not interested in be dictacted too during my free time. Freedom of ideas was one of the draws to Geocaching but now they're way too heavy in the authority department. (IMHO)

Bill of Green Achers

Bill....

There are a couple of other sites, but in my opinion they aren't that viable. I even joined one of them two years ago but quickly became disenchanted with it.

One of the map makers spent some time there when things fell apart here at geocaching.com, but this other site isn't doing all that well on a national basis. Looks like it's OK for the New York state area. You'll even find a few California caches listed there, but...anyway, not much going on there.

Sorry that you (Bill) and Kablooey are having such a negative time with the site right now. Hopefully things will straigten out all around.

Ron

Went out at 4:30 today (after six miles of hiking at Pardee) and found Ryan's new Old McDonald Farm cache. Then went looking for n2books2 Dr NT Pharm.D. cache. Couldn't find it, went home and found it had been archived before even one person found it! Some pharmacy person must have grabbed it. Emailed the placers asking where the thing had been.

On another note: surprised no one has said anything about the new look of the *nearest caches* list...very colorful compared to the old way, but it puts all the caches in your zip code in an order that includes 1)your finds 2)your hides 3) ones you haven't found...all in one big list that then extends to other pages.

I liked the old way better. When I popped up the first page of my zip code it immediately showed me new ones at the top of the page, then ones I found, then ones I had placed. I think this grouping was the best way to present that list.

Guess the new one will take some getting used to, but wonder if it couldn't be *ordered* by the user looking at it to reflect the old approach. Haven't looked anywhere on the forums to see if anyone is discussing this.

Something similar happens when you look at the *found* or *hidden* list of someone in their profile area. Kind of disconcerting approach for me.

Ron

It Ain't So!

There you go Ron. Nah, I wouldn't stop over something like that. I just wanted to cast a line and see what I could catch. After all, I should have gone through the approval process BEFORE I went out and spent money on the Coordinates tag. My bad on that part. I really did think I had the minimum distance part licked though. Oh well, it's up and the Red White and Blue tag will be released soon.

Also, I plan on heading down to the get together in Fresno on Sat the 21st. Anyone wanting to go and tag along from Merced area, let me know. Close caches to grab beforehand too..

CQ CQ CQ DX......

Just went to this link and saw some interesting things about the new nearest caches views. I just need to figure it out and it looks like it could be neat and do the kinds of things I was talking about a couple of posts up from this.

Nearest Caches ... New View

And this link is cachers talking about the changes.

Nearest Caches update....cacher opinions

New search page

The only way that I've figured out to display nearest caches is to 1st do a seach. I used by zip code. After it displays just about everything in the world, just hit the new search link. There, you can set all the filters and check the box to exclude your own stuff. I think it looks and works very nicely...

CQ CQ CQ DX......

quote:
Originally posted by kablooey:

Hemlock recanted and approved my cache. Unfortunately, I still can't access any of my caches; so I can't reenable mine, and now I see in IRC Chat that Jeremy allegedly doesn't consider there to be a login problem???

Jeremy did however, look into our complaints and found the problem this morning. It appears it's been corrected as I've been able to archive two caches (both needed archiving or efforts I'm not interested in making at this time) and looked up Brute's New Cache.

Bill of Green Achers