Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Re 74-caching and 51-caching

Sorry for the late post, but wanted to fill in some details. Yes, you can 75-cache in the San Joaquin Vly, and yes you can 100-cache in the Sacto area. And a lone group can do it by fair game methods.

When vdbalamo and I went for 50 caches and the last 3 solar system planets on 3/19, we turned back at Madera, with Fresno (and south) still ripe with surburbans and farm road caches; just too far from the Bay Area. By Modesto we were petering out, and by Ripon we skipped some easy ones. It was fun digging out Pheromone under a midnight crescent moon, though.

We've found that at a rate of 5 /hr and just 2 people, the shotgun seat can't keep up with the paperwork (tally sheet, cache pages, maps). For Sacto, we recognized the efficiency of a third person to multi-task the paper, while the shotgun handled the street map and called out distance.

Also for efficiency, I promised not to take 120 photos like I did for the 51 day. And I limited my toy trading, and I promised not to be verbose in the logbooks. To that end, we elected to use pre-printed micro-labels for all caches, as a sig item and a team symbol. We had to drop avatars with 3 names on the label, though.

For esprit de corps and time, we did 'one find, all find.' I assure you, everyone walked out into the rain, everyone covered the ground, everyone skirted poison oak, and everyone searched. Had a first finder not hogged the placement location, the next finder would certainly get it within a minute or two. There was no idle loitering.

One of our longer downtimes was Hanging Tree GC587A, which we did not know was ranger removed. I even climbed the next oak tree north to search. We also got skunked at the next one south, Hard Rock2. With that and sunset, we passed up the Folsom cluster.

What really helped the caching rate was the density of downtown, and drive ups like the Moonlights, Spike & Ivy, Wild Weasel, Off Track, Road to Nowhere, and All the Kings Men.

Well, long note. We set our goal, did our homework, and worked hard. And we did this in a style different from the Cache Machines. And we had a great time. And we were dead tired in the end.

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

I can't stand it. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46796 icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_smile.gif

_Bill of Green Achers_

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

frog.gif

I got it... I'll place it soon. icon_biggrin.gif I think there are a few more local CVC area folk who have not gone for it yet. Hopefully they will give it a try. icon_eek.gif According to the placement rules these types of caches are no longer allowed and no new ones of this type will be approved. icon_eek.gif

frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

Enthusiasm may vary.

Interesting to hear about the mass-cache-dash. Maybe it's just me or maybe it's my caching tractor, but I really can't comprehend finding 5 caches in an hour... let alone keeping that pace up for several hours. I'm trying.

BTW, I think I killed that darn gopher.

Way to go Toad. I hope you got wet! So, who's going for old Tag! next? Wait a minute... it hasn't been placed yet. Everyone gets to sleep tonight. icon_razz.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

39570_500.jpg

frog.gif

Off for a Mother's day cahe quest. Rehide CVC Tag, and to rehunt 3 previous DNF's, a cache with no finds since placed over a month ago, a cache recently available to non-members, and a mobile cache similar to CVC Tag.

Hopefully by days end we'll have icon_eek.gif 81 finds icon_eek.gif.... eeeer the square root of 81 anyway. icon_wink.gif

Enthusiasm may vary.

frog.gif Bad caching day...

Started with 2 DNF's and the 3rd hunt was going that way, drove by a forth and my GPSr pointed into the middle of the freeway. A sure sign that it was time to call it a day.

I did get the ..CVC Tag moved to a new area though.

It's BBQ time, hopefully the grill doesn't explode.

Enthusiasm may vary.

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

_PLATE_

Hmmm, LuvOzzy? icon_biggrin.gificon_rolleyes.gif

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

No... GeoBabe but it was going to be Shaun's plate. icon_biggrin.gif I'd love to hear if it is something else.

Hey, what's that sitting about 0.0014 minutes from Dont' Play On The Tracks? Looks like, ''Don't Play Tag On The Tracks!! frog.gif

Bill of Green Achers

46085_2300%20Dog

quote:

No... _GeoBabe_ but it was going to be Shaun's plate. icon_biggrin.gif I'd love to hear if it is something else.

My plate says "JaimeeG", and what a fine accessory to go along with the ultimate Yuppie-mobile! (I am not a yuppie..I just like to pretend I am) icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

OK, PDA and Watcher users....any ideas on this one? (This may have been discussed somewhere, if so, just point me to the URL..I did a search and the stuff I came up with included comments like ...*no one could solve this problem for me*.)

I got a pocket query for Sacramento caches. I downloaded it. Used Spinner on it and loaded the *new* names and coords to my Etrex. There were 200 as that is what the pocket query was set up for. (I've now updated it to 400 to see if that makes a difference)

I also used watcher on this...for use on my laptop when traveling in the car. I also put it on the PDA.

I loaded the pushpins to Topo by National Geographic and used it as I moved around Sac.

I pulled up the map and it showed Old Mills and I had Old Mills in my gps.

When I pulled up at the location, I looked up the description on the Watcher on laptop and on the PDA...it wasn't there.

The same thing happened on Totally Tubular by Wasser Adventure Seekers and their Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Trader Joes.

So I went to a couple of these places and poked around a bit, but without descriptions it was a little rough and I abandoned them. The Trader Joes coords put me near a Long's Drug store apparently across the street from Trader Joes. When I got home I looked these up on the web site. Since I only had six-character names and no descriptions on Watcher or PDA, the names didn't do any good in what to look for. The Trader Joes finds indicate the coords are off 100 feet, across the street. Without a description or clues, I was looking entirely in the wrong area.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Hey Ron I just looked on my PDA and all of those cache pages came up for me. I had the description as well as the hints and logs. I also checked my GPS and they are in there as well.

The last pocket query that I loaded for that area was on Friday. If yours was from a different day maybe there was a problem in the queries that day.

We had a similar problem a few weeks back. We went to French Camp and South Stockton. There were two caches that I had in the GPS and couldn't find the pages in the PDA as well. We did the same thing poked around for a bit, but with no description it sure makes it more difficult. One of them we couldn't look for as there were some city workers eating lunch near there. One of them was A Toast to Marky and Joani, and I can't remember the other, but it was within .20 of it.

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

Hey Pat...

I looked at some of the Spinner info and thought it might be the Retrieval Order setting in Plucker...needs to be set to breadth first instead of depth first...but that's the way I had it, so maybe even at that setting it sometimes loses pages.

I guess there is something to be said for a paper printout, but that means having to *plan* a trip rather than just driving somewhere and depending on our electronic gadgets.

Ron

Check your Spinner html output files. Every time this has happened to me, Spinner was doing its job correctly.

I have a Palm device so I have to use software to convert HTML to be Palm readable (Plucker, iSilo, etc.)

For me it was Plucker that was dropping the pages.

I switched to iSilo and have not seen the problem since.

Phil Duclo

I have a cache in http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=36328 but it's not close to your travels, Brute. It is an interesting stop though.

_Bill of Green Achers_

Hmmm. Checking my Sched for next week, I see Susanville. Isn't that up 395 right past that cache? icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to all cachers who had ideas on my PDA and Watcher not showing some caches even though they were in a file which showed them in EasyGPS as coordinates.

Loading newer versions of the programs I was using has cleared up the problem whatever it was.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Team PowerStroke01:

There any sites i can go to for Central Valley Cachers icon_smile.gif

Welcome PowerStroke...

I guess I need to know what you mean by *sites*. We don't have our own website like some Texans do, but we have plenty of caches.

What are you interested in? Web sites or caches? You have a great chance here in Central California and the Bay area to get a lot of caching in.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

quote:
Originally posted by Team PowerStroke01:

There any sites i can go to for Central Valley Cachers icon_smile.gif

Welcome PowerStroke...

I guess I need to know what you mean by *sites*. We don't have our own website like some Texans do, but we have plenty of caches.

What are you interested in? Web sites or caches? You have a great chance here in Central California and the Bay area to get a lot of caching in.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

yeah i was looking for any websites...

quote:
cache in Cache

I see Susanville. Isn't that up 395 right past that cache?

Cache

That's the area. Just past the Stead Airport exit. That's where the Reno Air Races are. I'll be adding another in the area soon as well. It shouldn't be approved because I'll be on ''vacation'' when I stash it but I'm going to push the issue.

Hey Pat and Jaimee. A new Yuppie-Mobile? Way to go. And I didn't know Volvo makes a 4x4 caching vehicle. icon_biggrin.gif [Just stiring it up.icon_wink.gif]

Plucker Problems: Glad you worked things out Ron. It was rather challenging for me to get it working on my Mac but now that it is, I can't believe I did my caching without it. It still won't load Get The Point? cache for some unknown reason but that's ok. There are very few bugs and very many benefits. I know two other cachers that are working on getting the set up right now and all I can say is it will be well worth any stuggles (if they have any).

Looks like the CVC Tag is going to be sitting around again.

Bill of Green Achers

46085_2300%20Dog

Hey Pat and Jaimee. A new Yuppie-Mobile? Way to go. And I didn't know Volvo makes a 4x4 caching vehicle. icon_biggrin.gif [Just stiring it up.icon_wink.gif]

Hey Bill,

Volvo makes the XC90 a very nice SUV. I'm sure if we would have gotten that Jaimee would never let it go off road. icon_frown.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

Hey Bill,

Volvo makes the XC90 a very nice SUV. I'm sure if we would have gotten that Jaimee would never let it go off road. icon_frown.gif

I can see it now...Pat and Mike Morris jacking up a Volvo SUV to make it look like his Jeep!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

You are right though..it would not have gone off road.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

Carolyn told me you were lifting in more. Does she need a ladder to get in it now??

I will jump right on that SUV now, just because I want to be a <cough sound> REDNECK <cough sound>.

Jaimee icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

I can see it now...Pat and Mike Morris jacking up a Volvo SUV to make it look like his Jeep!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

You are right though..it would not have gone off road.

Jaimee

So you're saying you will take your new/non SUV Volvo off road. That mighty brave of you, Jaimee. Why not start with a rescue of my Mack Daddy travel bug? Then you can head up to Red Hills area and look for all Mike's caches. icon_biggrin.gif Welcome back Mike... sure missed having you around!

Did everyone notice that Brute was at CVC Tag and didn't log his DNF. Proof. So, close... but yet so far. LOL

Bill of Green Achers

46085_2300%20Dog

[This message was edited by Green Achers on May 15, 2003 at 08:52 PM.]

quote:

So you're saying you will take your new/non SUV Volvo off road. That mighty brave of you, Jaimee.

No..no..no...no!!! I don't even like driving it down this dumb ol' country road we live on! I was thinking of hiring someone to pave it better so my sweet lil' car could have a smooth surface to drive on icon_rolleyes.gif

yes!!! It is much taller now. She is eye level with the glove box. I also took off the side bars so now there is no step for her. She has to jump in. The kids repel the tires to get in.

Thanks Bill, I havent looked at Geocaching in a loooonnnnnngggg time. I have been meaning to call and chat with you but time gets in the way. I dont have any plans to go geocaching anytime soon. We are leaving to go camping up at Pinecrest next Wednesday. We will be there until saturday. You are all welcome to come up. We have a few caches up there. Hopefully the snow didnt wash them away. Come up again Ron, Maybe this time we can have more time to visit.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

_DNF?_

I didn't log a dnf because I never looked for it.. Didn't know it was there. lol.. I need to start paying more attention.

That's so true... LOL icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Brute-Force

Geo-Brute

posted May 08, 2003 09:04 PM

Gee, I wonder how often I go past it? I totally forgot about that one. I need to check.

You guys thought I got around a lot before? Well, I got a promotion. Now, this District Manager gets to cache from Sacramento all the way down to the border. Even in Reno at times.

Posts: 115 |  From: Merced, California |  Registered: September 28, 2002

Bill of Green Achers

46085_2300%20Dog

I thought of another ? for you guys. Any of you CVCers run or use WiFi? I just got done setting up a system at my house. Need to know if anyone knows what long distance antenna is the best to run. I can use the ont that came with mine about 3-4 houses from mine. If anyone is in the area they are welcome to use it if they want to (700k bps broadband). I'm going to leave it open until I have problems. If antone has sugestions I'd sure like the help.

It's a happy day on the farm today!

I got my caching buddy back!! After 23 days of being on the lamb, I finally got the lead I needed. icon_smile.gif

It turns out the party that I suspected icon_mad.gif all a long was the knowledgable people to the crime. The details are too cloudy at this point but basicly, they took him off to Salida (across the river somehow). At some point, they used this friendly loving animal for target practice with a pellet gun. Then left him to die.

Some how, he didn't die. A week later, a very caring family found him, took him in and saved his life!

It was only today that I learned he was taken to Salida, so off I dashed. Right before I left Ripon, I stopped and posted another Lost-Poster just as this kind family passed by. Can you believe the luck?! They stopped and said they found him starving, injured, flee and tick ridden. They told me they removed over thirty ticks from him.

They lead me to their home and sure enough, it's him. He was so sick, he didn't even recognize me. I rushed him to the vet. He's now home after minor surgery and lot's of testing, x-rays, medication, de-ticking, a flee dig, and TLC. One pellet will remain in his leg. BIG BILL but he's home! Now it will be a little while before he goes caching.

Thanks to many of you who prayed or showed care about my buddy. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Bill of Green Achers

46085_2300%20Dog

Bill....

I'm glad you got your dog back....that must have been a traumatic experience. I'm sure he'll mend well under your care.

I've been thinking of getting a dog myself, but don't know if I'm up to the committment.

I've located one that I really like...but...indecision is a terrible thing!

Ron

Did someone higher up on this thread say "REDNECK"????

What's this geocaching thingy all about anyway icon_wink.gif

Just kidding...I just stopped by to say "HI" and prove to everyone that I am not dead. My "GOT GAS" cache seems to have been busy while I have been gone though....

Summer starts soon so I hope to have a little extra time to start caching again......It's tough being a HS teacher.

KURTULEAS

Hey Kurtuleas! Where have you been? Not just teaching 'cause there are several other teachers here and they've been caching with in the last six months (or has it been longer). icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, I think Redneck was used while talking about Mikes mile high 4x4. In all my years or wheeling, I've never wished my rig was raised... But I think Mike takes off-road to a new level. [Pun unintended but works]

Welcome back.

Bill of Green Achers

46085_2300%20Dog

If you remember my wife and I had a baby boy... he's 11 months old now, he takes up a lot of time PLUS I am still teaching nights at Heald PLUS my commute takes about an hour each way PLUS I have been coaching Track......So there's all my excuses for me not being around. (I can honestly say I've missed being around and chatting with you guys on this board...)

I am hoping that I will have time in 2 1/2 weeks when summer starts for me. I also have to fix the Blue Bandit and Kurt's Cache which have both had to be archived. Then I have a lot of work to do to catch up to George this summer (yeah right....)

I was reading up a little farther on this thread at one of Ron's posts....Why doesn't CVC have a webpage? We should do one....even if's one of those cheapy geocities free website deals it could be kinda cool...

KURTULEAS

Bill of Green Achers wrote:

quote:
I got my caching buddy back!!

That is SO wonderful Bill!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I can only imagine how bad that was for you and your family, expecially when suspitions are on your neighbors. icon_mad.gif Its a shame you have to go through all this. I only hope your neighbors thorns turn on them! icon_wink.gif

Toad & I have (Wogs) of our own and if anyone was to harm them it would break our hearts. icon_frown.gif

Again, Im so glad to hear your buddy is back, I cant wait to hear about his first day back cashing!

Tracey icon_smile.gif

Life is all about who will push you in your wheelchair when you're old. So be careful who you push around today.

Guess what! One more day of school and I'm back! So all of my caches that have come up missing or wet or damaged or flew away should soon be replaced! Aren't you all excited?

70546_1300.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:

_It's a happy day on the farm today!_

I got my caching buddy back!! After 23 days of being on the lamb, I finally got the lead I needed. icon_smile.gif

It turns out the party that I suspected icon_mad.gif all a long was the knowledgable people to the crime. The details are too cloudy at this point but basicly, they took him off to Salida (across the river somehow). At some point, they used this friendly loving animal for target practice with a pellet gun. Then left him to die.

Some how, he didn't die. A week later, a very caring family found him, took him in and saved his life!

It was only today that I learned he was taken to Salida, so off I dashed. Right before I left Ripon, I stopped and posted another Lost-Poster just as this kind family passed by. Can you believe the luck?! They stopped and said they found him starving, injured, flee and tick ridden. They told me they removed over thirty ticks from him.

They lead me to their home and sure enough, it's him. He was so sick, he didn't even recognize me. I rushed him to the vet. He's now home after minor surgery and lot's of testing, x-rays, medication, de-ticking, a flee dig, and TLC. One pellet will remain in his leg. BIG BILL but he's home! Now it will be a little while before he goes caching.

Thanks to many of you who prayed or showed care about my buddy. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

_Bill of Green Achers_

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/46085_2300%20Dog

If there could possibly be anything more that ****es me off in life than people who feel they should be "treated equal" and then go out and do this $hi7, I haven't found it. One of the reasons I really believe 95% of people are idiots!

70546_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

I thought some of you people had gone to that great cache up yonder ! icon_wink.gif

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Ehh. I was trying not only to get straight A's this semester, but over a 95% in each class. So caching kinda took a back seat and so did any but of social life I ever had.

70546_1300.gif

quote:
It turns out the party that I suspected all a long was the knowledgable people to the crime. The details are too cloudy at this point but basicly, they took him off to Salida (across the river somehow). At some point, they used this friendly loving animal for target practice with a pellet gun. Then left him to die.

If you want, I could round up a few buddies and we could take care of that skum. icon_mad.gif

Hope the rest of the story is a happy one icon_biggrin.gif

Bill!

Just got home from 3 days out in the field. Just read the great news on getting the dog back. Sorry that it was put through that trauma, but at least he's alive. Unlike what a neighbor did to my daughters dog. icon_mad.gif