Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

This is like some sort of GeoCaching slump. I do have a vacation coming up and plan on doing a little caching in the Nevada / Utah / Arizona area. Might just be interesting!

Bill... What exactly is your new picture of?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

Hey Fallen,

That's a tractor up to it's axles in alligators (rather mud). I found the picture on the internet and wondered why I never took any pictures of my rig when I get in that deep. Gota run. Keep caching.

Bill of Green Achers

"The [PERSON] who reads nothing at all, is better educated then the [PERSON] who reads nothing but newspapers." Thomas Jefferson

39570_500.jpg

Fallen, Pepper here once again I need that URL for the Megallen case you have. Now that I am ready to buy I just cannot seem to find the site. I did a search on the CVC thread and came up empty handed. This time I'm gonna get it and promise not to bother you again about the subject.

Lost my brain somewhere and can't find the darn thang. icon_eek.gif

Pepper

icon_geocachingwa.gif

Horizontals where it's at!

Pepper!!!

Sure thing

http://www.thegpsstore.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/site/gpsaccess-magellan.htm?L+thegpsstore+asbk6262+1049996672

if that doesnt work try

http://www.thegpsstore.com

click:

Start Here -> GPS Accessories -> Meridian Accessories (or something like that) and you are there.

Hope you are having a good time.

70546_1300.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Can't find them if no one's hiding them.

george

Gee, ya George. I believe you over looked FAC-PAC plus all the other 11 caches that are within 3 miles of it. Think of this as a mercy mission as Bob needs to be rescued in a really bad way. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The [PERSON] who reads nothing at all, is better educated then the [PERSON] who reads nothing but newspapers." Thomas Jefferson

39570_500.jpg

Looks like Friday was a good day to go caching as it is raining in Stockton today...Saturday.

I did the 9 mile round-trip hike at China Gulch trail...north shore Lake Camache and found Two Dollar Bill's four caches, starting with this one...Cash Clips.

Good hike and good caches, but GREAT FTF prizes!

I won't be forgetting that trip soon.

45869_900.JPG

The BBQ is worth seeing (not a cache) and the RED pointer is a gulch with really red soil.

Meanwhile, there are about 4 other new caches within 20 miles of me, so it looks like there are some opportunities here for anyone who wants them.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on April 12, 2003 at 08:01 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Nice map Ron. Where did you get that? And what is ST85QN? Looks familier!

_Bill of Green Achers_

Hey Bill..

Any mapping progam like TOPO from Delorme, TOPO! from National Geographic, etc allows you to load in waypoint pushpins and tracks from your gps.

This was the track from my China Gulch hike with one way in (in the middle) and another way out.

Yes, the one in the water is yours. State Quarters. I think Two Dollar Bill is going for it soon along with my Fac-Pac. Since he's already placed four caches in the area, he gets a *buy* on having to place a new one if he finds Fac-Pac.

Ron

Out in the Middle? Where's Swim Jim and Fizzy's find logs then? icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif They love a good swim cache. I personally, gave up swiming years ago as there are easier ways across.

Speaking of getting across... can you believe Where Two Waters Cross has gone two months without a FTF or even a DNF! It was such a nice summer day when I planted it and then the snow came back. I guess no one's been able or willing to go for it yet. We'll, it will be fun for people this summer. icon_eek.gif

I went after Mr.Toad's Code Cache today but came up short and logged an upside down smile. I'm sure I was in the right part of the jungle but talk about great cover. There could be dozens of caches in there and you'd never find them. Maybe a better cacher than myself could do the job but I need a hint before I'm going back.

Yesterday, I was able to go clean up Quail's Roost. It was just one truck load so I'm not sure what everyone was talking about. (yikes!) It turns out the mess I kept reading about was from cachers that dumped out my make-sift garbage can. I had been filling an old animal cage with trash so someone must have thought, ''Quail? Cage! Let's spread this out all other the place and find the cache!'' It never occured to me that a Roost could be confused with a Cage. Anyway, it's my fault for not hauling it in the first place but now that's taken care of. It's still an arm pit but at least it's a clean arm pit. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a sudden rise in ocean level wouldn't cure." Ross McDonald

39570_500.jpg

Way too much time on my hands....

You'll see why in a minute.

I received an email from someone who said they found one of my caches and made a couple of comments about it...nothing bad.

The finder didn't log the find on the cache web page. I did a search for the finder's name in both found and hidden areas. The finder had no record of either type.

I attempted a profile find using different numbers....mine for instance is 2468 I think. I went up by counts of 10,000 until I finally discovered that somewhere between 115,000 and 120,000 people are registered users at geocaching.com.

However, as I searched these numbers I discovered people who might have joined in August of 2001 and who didn't have any finds or hides.

This MIGHT mean they just didn't participate, or it might mean they sign on, get lists of caches near them, go find them and then neither log on to the web site, and maybe not even log in at the cache. I know some of us have seen at least an instance of someone who writes in the physical log but doesn't log on the web page site.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

recent member.

When this person's profile comes up, you can go to the address bar in your browser and change the number at the end to something else and another persons profile will come up.

Of the 115,000+ members who are registered, I was thinking only about 40 to 60K were active...seems like I read that somewhere.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Check out this link for the ultimate Geocaching geek.

http://www.skydivergear.com/

Wow! Did you see some of his caches? The 12 Step Program is something many of us could use. When I see these caches I am always in awe...Do I NOT have enough free time, Do I lack the energy to create such a cache, or am I just not smart enough. Probably all of the three icon_wink.gif.

Thanks for sharing Ron.

-- David

quote:
Originally posted by Camelot Crew:

Wow! Did you see some of his caches? http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=28634 is something many of us could use. When I see these caches I am always in awe...Do I NOT have enough free time, Do I lack the energy to create such a cache, or am I just not smart enough. Probably all of the three icon_wink.gif.

Thanks for sharing Ron.

-- David

Yep that's a tough one. Placed in July 2002 with two notes attached to it that month, and then finally a find. I guess if your goal is to exclude most people, this would be one way to do it, but that makes the people who do finish it even more *worthy*.

Ron

I'm not worthy... But I have gotten rather good G.A.S. mileage. Just as Shaun.

Interesting to hear about the [sock pupet?] What would someone have to say that they'd need to hide their cacher identity? Sounds like too much effort for some kind words. Maybe they don't understand that you're the Lucy (Peanuts Cartoon) of CVC and seam to take everything in stride.

Bill of Green Achers

"There is nothing wrong with Southern California that a sudden rise in ocean level wouldn't cure." Ross McDonald

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Camelot Crew:

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter (and slightly edited by me):

Check out this link for the ultimate Geocaching geek.

Wow! Did you see some of his caches? The 12 Step Program is something many of us could use. When I see these caches I am always in awe...Do I NOT have enough free time, Do I lack the energy to create such a cache, or am I just not smart enough. Probably all of the three icon_wink.gif.

I like how you can't order the t-shirt designs at the bottom unless you've done those caches. That is very cool. I'm pretty sure we have an order in already after getting the URL from Kimbo last week at the Pizza event.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Of the 115,000+ members who are registered, I was thinking only about 40 to 60K were active...seems like I read that somewhere.

On Dan's stat site, the city stats have active cacher counts. For example, Sacramento had 177 active cachers last month and 392 active cachers over the last three months. In the SF Bay Area we had 539 active cachers last month and 1133 active cachers over the last three months. I didn't see any way to determine active cachers at the state or country levels though. I wonder which city has the most active cachers...

I checked and the S.F Bay Area is just barely out in front of Los Angeles with Seattle a close third. I bet that some of the eastern states will see more activity as the weather gets better. We don't really have a winter in the Bay Area so it doesn't slow down the cachers much. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

[This message was edited by Marky on April 18, 2003 at 08:56 AM.]

Dan's web site is great. I was looking at the Leader's Board and noticed something interesting. Of the top 10 Geocachers, GeorgeandMary are the only one to get all their caches (save 4 caches) from one state. I think that really shows devotion to our area! It also explains the problem with needing more CVC caches.

Come on CVC! Show George the cache. Keep on stashing! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

frog.gif Had a nice family Easter hunt yesterday. Hope everyone had a Happy Easter. We stopped 1 shy of triple digits after a DNF. Thats Ok though, I'll get my #100 soon enough. frog.gif

Seems to me that Green Achers may have a new hide soon. He owes me for the hunt he did this morning before the rain icon_biggrin.gif (revenge) icon_biggrin.gif.

icon_eek.gifGeorge... LOOK new caches!!!! >>> icon_eek.gif

I planted 2 new caches in the Modesto area. I hope they are approved soon. Neither are as technical as Get The Point? or lengthy like Trail Hopper, or puzzled like Mr. Toad's Code Cache, but should be fun.

frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

Enthusiasm may vary.

Revenge? Lets just say there's a price for everything and you just ran up a big bill. icon_razz.gif And for the record... it was between rains. It was just letting up as we arrived and it bailed on the way home so there was that 3 hour break throughout our hunt. We were so beat up, the Toad-mobile had to come out and witness it and cheer us on. frog.gif Now, I'm going back to the planning room. Don't bother me until I total up that bill. icon_biggrin.gif

As far as Easter, everything went well here. We now have a couple new kids and more on the way (like tonight perhaps). I'll post a picture soon. Happy belated Easter to all CVC (accept those Toads). icon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

39570_500.jpg

[This message was edited by Green Achers on April 21, 2003 at 05:33 PM.]

"outing" a bay area cacher....?

No, it's not what you think.

I have a cache pending approval. It was archived by an approver in the East. I think this fellow is pretty new at approving, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, he wanted me to put the cache to a vote, but I suggested HE put it up on the special approvers private forum and run it past his fellow approvers.

He did so, and so far about 6 of them have looked at it, but I have not been apprised of any change in its status.

ALSO, since I made it members only, I can see the audit trail and guess what!?

A well-known bay area cacher is on the list of people who have looked at this. As far as I know, only approvers can look at an archived cache, so I believe this person is an approver.

I have no reason to "out" this person, but I find it a rather interesting piece of info, and I wonder if this person might want to contact me and let me know his thinking on this particular archived cache, and anything else he wishes to share.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on April 22, 2003 at 08:24 AM.]

quote:

_"outing" a bay area cacher....?_

A well-known bay area cacher is on the list of people who have looked at this. As far as I know, only approvers can look at an archived cache, so I believe this person is an approver.

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on April 22, 2003 at 08:24 AM.]

The audit log also shows people who have tried to look at a cache even if they're not memebers. I've seen non memebers names on my audit logs. It could have been a local just checking out new caches to see if the roll over cache has popped up.

Not all names on the audit logs are names of people who actually were able to see the cache. At least that's been my expierence.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

Interesting! Probably not unusual that a non-member would TRY to access a members only cache as there are so many ways to link to a cache, but interesting that the audit trail would be able to see that person TRYING to access.

I'll go look up the person in question and see if they are a non-member. On the other hand, it is POSSIBLE that a cache approver would BE a non-member and still be an approver.

Really need to see several non-members try to access a cache to see if they pop up on the list while still being unable to access.

Ron

OK...in regard to who can access an unapproved, archived cache.

I asked two members and one non-member to try to look at two of my caches which were at that time not approved. One of them was archived.

The non-member has not responded yet, but the two members have.

Before they could look at the cache that was not approved yet, it got approved and they were able to access it.

HOWEVER, when they looked at the cache that was not approved AND archived, they got the hide a cache screen and not the cache page.

It seems to me that when I go looking at the *list* of cache numbers and I run into caches that are not approved yet that's the screen I get.

I still think that the person who accessed my archived cache which was not approved IS an approver, but with all the variables in database operations, it is possible that somehow this person got through to the archived cache. I tend to believe though that the most logical explanation for an event is THE reason for the event...in this case that the person is an approver.

I also got an email from a bay area cacher who said that he had had the experience that George had, so a little hard to tell if there is one reality or several.

Any thoughts from anyone else?

Ron

After a bit of talking with the original approver (and one other approver) the archived cache in question in several posts above this has now been approved.

Just goes to show if you make a case in a calm manner these folks are just like the rest of us if things are reasonable.

Ron

quote:

HOWEVER, when they looked at the cache that was not approved AND archived, they got the hide a cache screen and not the cache page.

.__

Let me clarify what I meant. I do this, and I think other people do it too. When I hide a cache and I'm waiting for it to be approved, I will try to figure out where in the que the cache is. So I start punching in numbers below my cache ID number to see how far back the caches that are approved are. Now, if I punch in a cache that has been archived or hasn't been approved yet, I do the the "Hide Seek" page but I may also show up on the cache audit log.

Just because a name is on the audit log it doesn't mean that they actually saw the cache page.

Now there maybe a local bay area approver who we all know and love. Good. I hope there is one.

george

Wanna go for a ride?

frog.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

100th find

Stop & Go Alameda

I considered skipping it because my GPSr was at home, but I figured it brings things full circle since my first hunt was without it too, not to mention in the same area. George went for the same one today and I got it at 1740 hrs.

icon_smile.gif I'd like to thank the Academy for.... err... the CVC folks for all the fun (even though not all my finds are from CVC folk's caches icon_eek.gif) and the friendly help along the way... oh ... and thanks to Bill of Green Achers... for drawing me into the fold.

frog.gificon_biggrin.giffrog.gificon_biggrin.giffrog.gificon_biggrin.giffrog.gif

Enthusiasm may vary.

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad608:

100th find

... and thanks to Bill of Green Achers... for drawing me into the fold.

Congratulations on the century mark. But we'll need to wait to see how long you'll be thanking me. I'm still picking thorns out of my head and hand. icon_eek.gif Now, I'm going back to my planning.

Bill of Green Achers

"The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese" Author unknown.

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Green Acers:

I'm still picking thorns out of my head and hand. Now, I'm going back to my planning.

Im completely redeemed...Right Bill? icon_biggrin.gif

Life is all about who will push you in your wheelchair when you're old. So be careful who you push around today.

quote:
Originally posted by MrsToad608:

Im completely redeemed...Right Bill? icon_biggrin.gif

Life is all about who will push you in your wheelchair when you're old. So be careful who you push around today.

Oh.... no. I'm getting one of those speedy's or maybe a Benford (supped-up) Electric model. Now, where's all those special tools I need to create my get back... icon_razz.gif

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Green Acers:

Oh.... no. I'm getting one of those speedy's or maybe a Benford (supped-up) Electric model. Now, where's all those special tools I need to create my get back...

Ok Ok I'll just sit in the shadows, flippers quaking waiting for your wrath... icon_frown.gif

and to think I was going to buy you misquito repelent or maybe a machete for x-mas icon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MrsToad608:

and to think I was going to buy you misquito repelent or maybe a machete for x-mas icon_razz.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

Those tools are too quick and painless. Oh, No. I have bigger plans. icon_biggrin.gif Besides, who wants to wait until Christmas! icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey Kimbo! Thanks for the information and welcome to the forum.

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by KimBeattie (Kimbo):

http://www.guysnamedkim.com/geocache/geocache_history.html

Just something I've been meaning to put together for sometime now. Finally found the time to do it.

Enjoy.

thanks Kim for including me in your geocaching history. I remember when we first met in Round Valley where you were looking for some of my caches, and the time I went for your first one Granite Beek.

A lot has changed since then...

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by ErSamin:

The cache monsters are loose!

Check out the day that jimswim, vdbalamo and bthomas had in the sactown area on the 24th.

74 in one day!!

"Could be worse...could be raining"

OK... wait a minute. 74 in one day? If they cached for the 24 hours - straight through, they'd need to average over 3 caches per hour. 19.46 minutes per cache to be exact. This including: Driving (or Biking); Parking (Not required if Biking); Running (Also not required if Biking); Hunting; Logging; and Replacing the caches. No way!

They'd be bumping into each other while signing the logs. Plus there's eating and taking care of those other personal issues. Try to tell me how that's all possible (other than splitting up which would be cheating).

BTW, Welcome to ErSamin. Very interesting topic if you ask me. icon_wink.gif It's good to see more people on this forum.

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

14.6 minutes per cache... more than 4 per hour. That's got to be good for a geo-speeding ticket. icon_biggrin.gif I really find it hard to believe. Where's whose World Books of Record people when you need them?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe I should go hunt a few of those caches to see three different signatures on each log before I open my big mouth.

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Maybe I should go hunt a few of those caches to see three different signatures on each log before I open my big mouth.

_Bill of Green Achers_

You could check out all 74, and I personally would give you at least 24 hours to do it....but they have to be 24 consecutive hours.

Ron

Howdy All;

I was so surprised to see all the posts on the CVC board. I thought most people had just taken a break or had been scared off. HA

A new look here - so that must of been why I lost my automatic e-mail notification of new posts?

Anyway - Bill; how's the bug race going?

Who is vdbalamo?

3 more weeks of School; then we're out for the summer! I'll be back to caching. I've missed it, but haven't had much time or gas money, lol.

Cathyicon_smile.gif

quote:

frog.gif Hunting in Sac I'm surprised they didn't get more. Sac caches just aren't like CVC or East Bay caches IMHO.

frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

Enthusiasm may vary.

Really? Is that were we go when we want to drive our find numbers up? What do they have up there... drive thru Geocaches?

Hey, wait a minute. Has anyone ever placed a micro mag under the drive up window of their favorite choke-n-puke?

As far as the Cannonball Run, I'm currently in 7th. Just 11 miles closer to home than Georges and he's in 8th for the time. The closest racer was hand carried as far as Arizona. With any luck, it will be punted back to New York on a Red-Eye. icon_biggrin.gif

I did lay to rest my Pin Pal travel bug. The Newbie that collected him wouldn't reply to email for a long time. Then he finally did and promised to set it free. I guess his word is no good as that was months ago. I chaulk it up to being stolen and name prdamrican as the thief. Travel Bug Graveyard

But I have a bigger search on my hands than a stolen travel bug... my caching partner dissapeared yesterday. Buster, the springer that everyone kept mentioning, disappeared on 4/26/03 between 10am and 2pm. While it's possible he ran off, it's not likely. So, I'll be getting Buster's mug up on posters today and calling around tomorrow. I really need him back 'cause he's the one that solves all those challenging caches.

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

quote:

frog.gif Hunting in Sac I'm surprised they didn't get more. Sac caches just aren't like CVC or East Bay caches IMHO.

Actually, there are LOTS of good caches in Sacramento. Granted, there are also many that are easy, but if you hunt those hidden by the active cachers up there (GeoSharks, McIrish, Kimbo, MikieP, etc.), you will come across some that are very well-planned and fun.

One thing I can definitely say about Sacramento is that there are more regular size caches up there instead of film canisters everywhere you look. So, yes, I guess the Sac caches really aren't like the CVC caches.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."