Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Okay..last night I saw some posts that are no longer here today...weird!

I wanted to respond to George's post in which he requested more caches, but I was unable to do so last night because the forums were down.

Is 2259 caches in a 100-mile radius of the Patterson zip code not enough? It seems that would provide ample caches for you (George) to hit 1000. There also are quite a few floating around the valley that I don't see your name on yet either icon_eek.gif

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

Is 2259 caches in a 100-mile radius of the Patterson zip code not enough? It seems that would provide ample caches for you (George) to hit 1000. There also are quite a few floating around the valley that I don't see your name on yet either icon_eek.gif

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

Not as many as it would seem.

Of the ones I haven't found, there are Patt's two in turlock, and then Bill's two in manteca, ron's valet (which has me vexed).

After that you pretty much have to go out of the valley, bay area caches start popping up closer than valley caches.

And I'm planning on hitting Patt's two this afternoon.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

There are also a few out toward Valley Springs, Farmington, up Hwy. 4 toward Copperopolis, some in Angels Camp, etc. Are the foothills just as far from you as the Bay Area? I have no clue on the mileage there. It takes us about an hour to get to Angels Camp from Ceres.

Jaimee

Rest assured. I've not planted my last cache yet... We've (that's more than myself) have been plotting and scheming and should have a fun one up this weekend. Think - Ripon. icon_biggrin.gif

Also, I improved the spoiler on Locked in a Cubical to prevent people from running all over the place. icon_rolleyes.gif I think George or Mary will be the next to find.

There's lots of good caches out these days but who has the time? I have been chipping away at all Hot Foot's caches in Livergulth. I have the last one solved but need time to take the run.

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

39570_500.jpg

quote:

There are also a few out toward Valley Springs, Farmington, up Hwy. 4 toward Copperopolis, some in Angels Camp, etc. Are the foothills just as far from you as the Bay Area? I have no clue on the mileage there. It takes us about an hour to get to Angels Camp from Ceres.

I can drive to livermore in 35 minutes. It's takes me longer to drive to oakdale than livermore. It's close to an hour for me to drive to oakdale. I can get almost to fremont in an hour.

george

39570_500.jpg

Isn't that funny that Patterson is so remote to the rest of the valley. There's no dirrect route and that's always so fustrating when you're trying to make time. I find it's easier to go North to Hwy 120, then skate over to Hwy 5 and then South.

Bill of Green Achers

"The only thing that's going to come out of this meeting is the people." - Wendell Kelly

39570_500.jpg

[This message was edited by Green Achers on March 20, 2003 at 09:10 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Isn't that funny that Patterson is so remote to the rest of the valley. There's no dirrect route and that's always so fustrating when you're trying to make time. I find it's easier to go North to Hwy 120, then skate over to Hwy 5 and then South.

there is a backway if you go down beckwith plus a few other backroads that takes you to grayson and then over to patterson.

Just wait until they build the hwy over to San Jose. It'll be time to sell the house.

george

39570_500.jpg

Patterson is an easy shot from where we live. We just pop on Central and head out to Main. It is nice when we want to get on I-5.

Anyone have big caching plans for the weekend? We are having a little get-together for my daughter's birthday tomorrow..no caching for me!

Have a good weekend all.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I know these are probably a bit far for most 'Central Valley' cachers, but I thought you might be interested in this list. These caches were placed by Species5618 and some of them look like they have some nice long hikes in the Sierras above the poison oak.

Glenn95630

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Copied from River City Geocaching and Dining Society mail list thingy.

www.rcgds.net

Here are the caches that I have stashed in the past week.

They are all on the Georgetown Divide.

They have just been approved.

Enjoy,

Species5618

Traditional Caches

------------------

Goose Flat

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59413

Rubicon River at Pilot Creek

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59414

Rapid Overlook

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59416

South Fork Overlook

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59412

Pointed Rocks

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59417

Dam Overlook Trail

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59420

Olmstead Loop

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59419

Multi-Stage Traditional Cache

------------------------------

Bayley House

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59432

Multi-Stage Log only Cemetery Micro Caches

------------------------------------------

Pilot Hill Final Rest

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59436

Georgetown Final Rest

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59434

Greenwood Final Rest

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59433

quote:

Anyone have big caching plans for the weekend?

Well, now that I've got the paint out of my nails... we're going out tonight to make someone's weekend fun. I found out yesterday that the gophers thought Pheromone needed a little help, so they covered it. [start the theme music for Caddy Shack] I'm goin' get dem gophers.

So, is this frog.gif a frog or a toad? icon_confused.gif It sure doesn't fit in the smilie face lineup, but I like it.

Bill of Green Achers

"The only thing that's going to come out of this meeting is the people." - Wendell Kelly

39570_500.jpg

quote:

So, is this frog.gif a frog or a toad? icon_confused.gif It sure doesn't fit in the smilie face lineup, but I like it.

I think it's a frog. When I think of toads, I think of nasty little wart-laden critters. Frogs are cute though! Let's make it a frog!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

After I read that again, I figured that, inevitably, someone would think I was being mean to Mr. Toad with my comments. Just so everyone knows, that was not the case. Frogs are just cuter than toads! icon_smile.gif

I like either toads or frogs the same... out in the orchard doing their pest control jobs like they're expected to do. frog.gif Bats are better though. icon_eek.gif

Long at last, I think all our plans have come together and now all we get this number (GCEA18). Is that justice or what? Now George will have more reason to return and complete all those Manteca caches. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The difference between art and science is that if something works in art, you don't have to explain why." Author Unknown

39570_500.jpg

frog.gif Bats are better though. icon_eek.gif

Long at last, I think all our plans have come together and now all we get this number (GCEA18). Is that justice or what? Now George will have more reason to return and complete all those Manteca caches. icon_wink.gif

_Bill of Green Achers_

frog.gificon_biggrin.gif Bats are just flying rodents. icon_biggrin.giffrog.gif

I took some nice photos early this morning, bigger than I thought (file size). I'll have to edit them before posting them.

I hope that new one gets approved soon. icon_biggrin.giffrog.gif

Enthusiasm may vary.

Flying rodents or not, they way out eat a toad and you don't loose 'em when you plow! frog.gificon_eek.gif

It's approved (as there were no train tracks nearby). Get The Point? icon_biggrin.gif Too bad the park is closed at night because this would be a ''best hunted at night'' cache.

Pictures will be value added even though it's very huntable without them. (I miss my camera - which passed away in Hawaii). icon_frown.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The difference between art and science is that if something works in art, you don't have to explain why." Author Unknown

39570_500.jpg

At 7 pm Sunday...anyone else having trouble accessing the web site for *my cache page* or looking at individual cache pages?

I spent some time at Pardee Lake recently, checking on my Patti's Point and Olive Grove caches, and put two new ones in as well. They aren't published yet, and now I'm having trouble getting back to them to do some more editing.

Site must be on overload !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

At 7 pm Sunday...anyone else having trouble accessing the web site for *my cache page* or looking at individual cache pages?

I spent some time at Pardee Lake recently, checking on my Patti's Point and Olive Grove caches, and put two new ones in as well. They aren't published yet, and now I'm having trouble getting back to them to do some more editing.

Site must be on overload !

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Yup, Mozilla reports the actual server error: Server too busy.

Appears to be all better now (at least the forums are on another system so we can keep posting and reading even when the main site is down).

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

...instead of the war....

and worked on my Patti's Point chain of caches.

All the redo is done on that one and the associated caches as I added two new ones which are not yet approved.

The new ones are Gale Ridge and Stargate. These are both west of Patti's point..on the way to the point.

Now the hardy cacher/hiker/horse-person can go for seven caches in a row. So far only Two Dollar Bill has made the trek.

Spring is here! Caching, golf and being thankful for being an American.

Ron

WOW!! It's been awhile since I have looked at this geocaching stuff. Looks like you all have been busy. Thanks for the happy birthday Jaimee and Bill (Green Acres) I guess I will have to dig out my GPS and do some caching.

Ron.. I have been watching the War also. I think they had better pictures in 1991. What makes me angry is all the Hippi war protester. I think They should round them all up and place them in the middle of Baghdad right before we bomb the hell out of it. Just my hummble oppinion.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

....no, not 18 wheel drivers, but cachers who don't mind a long hike for a handful of finds.

My two new caches near Patti's Point are approved now. If you're interested, start here at Gale Ridge and follow the drop-down box link at the bottom to the new Stargate cache and finally to Patti's Point.

This trail provides seven caches in a 9.5 mile hike (one way). It takes the better part of a day to do the entire length (and back), but if the weather is good, the scenery is fantastic in spots and right now the wildflowers are in bloom, particularly from the Kiln forward to Patti's Point. This is not a trail to hike in the dead of summer !

Ron

quote:

It's approved (as there were no train tracks nearby). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=59928 icon_biggrin.gif Too bad the park is closed at night because this would be a ''best hunted at night'' cache.

Pictures will be value added even though it's very huntable without them.

Fun one to hunt with the family. You don't need the photo either. Very huntable without. You could however eliminate the ants. icon_redface.gif What is it with our family and ants? We did manage avoid any problems. icon_smile.gif The ants also reminded us that we need to get back to GiddyUp! and finish our hunt there. Never enough time with three chitlans. Maybe this weekend?

Also caught up with Ron while caching. Had a nice chat. Sorry to steal the thunder on this one Ron. You won't hold that against us I hope. icon_wink.gif Anyway, our thanks to Mr. Toad and Green Achers for the fun.

-- Camelot Cache Hunters

....I caught up with the Camelot crew.

I arrived about 5 minutes after they did and found the tool missing so I looked around and found the crew about 2/3 of the way through the pursuit.

I just tagged along for the find, but I would recommend to anyone who happens on other cachers doing this one, to go hide your head in the sandpile for awhile and then go for it on your own. Of course if you're part of husband/wife team it wouldn't matter much, but sometimes even those folks like to do individual finds.

This was a good one. I hope it doesn't start repeating itself on every corner though.

Ron

It's very rewarding to see people having fun (and knowing that all the plotting was done correctly). I shead any credit for conception as it was Fizzy that inspired me with the idea.

I finally met a gent' that I've wanted to meet for a long time... Hot Foot and I met for coffee yesterday morning. He's a delight as I expected. I told him months ago that he looked like my step-father (at least in the face) in his pictures and now I still think so in person. Turns out they once worked together. [fade in It's A Small World music] icon_biggrin.gif

Afterwards, I stopped over to maintain Fat City and ran into Tom there! icon_eek.gif That turned my smile upside down. It was just another reminder that I need to replace my digital camera.

Speaking of fun... looks like a second cacher is going to bag a find on Locked in a Cubical. That will make two cachers that had figured things out without help. (I'm always wondering if I messed up until things get going). icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The man who reads nothing at all, is better educated then the man who reads nothing but newspapers." Thomas Jefferson

39570_500.jpg

quote:

It was just another reminder that I need to replace my digital camera.

Before Mike says it, I would have used my camera to document Tom so those city workers have something to run with. (Not to join Tom's club!) icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"The man who reads nothing at all, is better educated then the man who reads nothing but newspapers." Thomas Jefferson

39570_500.jpg

Wow George you are fast approaching 1000 caches. That sure is a lot of finds! Following closely behind is Marky at 920; then Ron coming up to 800 soon. DANG! I'm just too jealous! I looked at my ranking on the California cache list - #203.

ha ha ha ha ha

I've got to get busy! Where to start? !!

Sure has been beautiful weather lately. I'm off Thursday; I hope to nab a few then.

Have a good evening,

Cathyicon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors.

George got a Hat Trick in my area yesterday... now he needs more caches and I can't keep up with him. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks George. Hope you had fun.

Spinner, gpx2html and whatever else is available are all interesting. My problem is that it takes longer to load these as they aren't intended for a Mac, so I actually have to figure out all that computer mumbo-jumbo. icon_rolleyes.gif It just takes more time than I have so I put it on the rainy day list.

I'm really gratefull I was pushed to get a PDA and get gpx2html working. It saves a lot of time. But now I'm afraid to update it as that could cost me days (based on the set up).

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

quote:

George got a Hat Trick in my area yesterday... now he needs more caches and I can't keep up with him. icon_biggrin.gif Thanks George. Hope you had fun.

They were all well done too. I NEED 15 more caches. Bthomas planted one in patterson for me but I don't know if I can save it for 1000.

george

39570_500.jpg

H E Y ! C V C !! Wake U P ! ! !

Everyone must be glued to the news these days. Me included. But I can't help but to stir things up a little (in a good way) right now...

Roll Call! Everyone reading this, jump in a just say ''Hi, I'm here.'' icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg

Just when I get used to something....it changes!

I was responding to page 62 message from Bill of Green Achers asking for anyone reading his to just respond.

OK, here it is on the new format.

Bill...I've been busy. I've posted half a dozen or more *hides* in the last few days.

The GeoCrickets found three of them in short order....they are the closest cachers to them.

Meanwhile, the *gas rationing* influenced by the current *unpleasantness* is probably cutting into caching a bit I suspect.

Here's a thought too. When George and Marky hit 1,000, any guesses on how long it will take to find the NEXT 1,000?

Is it just me, or is it no longer possible to go to a forum poster's profile from an icon in the forums?

That was a valuable feature....reading someone's post and then being able to go see *who they are* from their profile icon.

Hope the admins will add that feature back...unless it's there and I just don't see it.

Ron

quote:

Is it just me, or is it no longer possible to go to a forum poster's profile from an icon in the forums?

That was a valuable feature....

Most definitely. Right now it is just taking you to the forum profile and not the geocaching.com profile (which I found much more interesting). At a minimum, the forum profile should have a link on it back to the geocaching.com profile.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Ron, you can click on the poster's name above their avatar to get to the profile. That still works.

It also looks like the icon is back.

GS!

...and that's why we don't rent pigs!

frog.gifI like the new features frog.gif

Nice to have the reply box in a seperate window so you can scroll on the previous posts and cut a paste for multiple quotes. frog.gif

I really like the bullets too. icon_biggrin.giffrog.gif

quote:
Neat to have the line breaks available too.

[This message was edited by MrToad608 on March 28, 2003 at 12:50 PM.]

New Look

I like it... So, will this bring everyone back to this forum?? I miss reading all the good conversations. icon_smile.gif

Anyone interested in going out to Test of Genius to gather my T-Bug? It spent the winter out there but should be ok to hunt now that everythings dry.

Bill of Green Achers

39570_500.jpg