Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Did they notify you that your membership was expiring? I am just curious because we paid by money order through the mail because I don't care to use PayPal. I wasn't sure if they would give notice of when it expired or not.

Jaimee

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid." Mark Twain

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

Marky....Ron is really only 27!!!! Still think he looks good for his age??? icon_biggrin.gif

ahhh... I should know better than to believe what I read in the newspaper. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Did they notify you that your membership was expiring? I am just curious because we paid by money order through the mail because I don't care to use PayPal. I wasn't sure if they would give notice of when it expired or not.

Jaimee

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she had laid an asteroid." Mark Twain

No warning.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I posted a similar question quite some time ago, but I thought I would toss it out again to the newer batch of valley cachers.

Are any of you interested in letterboxes?? If you don't know what that is, you can check it out at www.letterboxing.com. Through the Geocaching site, we can do letterbox hybrids. I placed one last year that has only had two or three visitors; I don't know if this is because of its location or the lack of interest in letterboxing.

There are no caching-related letterboxes in the valley area here so I was just curious as to what some of the others think of the idea. With letterboxing, there is nothing to trade usually. You find the location using clues, and you then stamp a log book with your "signature" stamp. It's a very popular sport in England and other parts of Europe.

Jaimee

....I don't know why your one just South of Stockton doesn't get more attention. Maybe people think they have to come in from the south in the area of Hawk's Watch, Valet, Down Under, Nothing But Knives and Doggies Best Friend. It would be quite a walk from there, but is CLOSE to another entrance.

The concept itself is OK, but doesn't do a lot for me. Maybe if it got started more I would do them though. How about trying another one or two to generate some interest?

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Nice news article, Ron. I don't like that picture you posted though... they're too young to cache and I think once they get old enough to go hunting... they'll be chicken! icon_rolleyes.gif

Did I mention how much fun it was at Strings? It's worth saying again.

I'm planting a cache in Manstinka this weekend that I've been planning for a while. It will meet Jaimee's requirements (Regular sized) and Fizzy may have a tough time with it... So, at least one of us will have fun with it. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

46085_1700e%2013

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....I don't know why your one just South of Stockton doesn't get more attention.

I do. Has nothing to do with access. Here's the relevant part of the description page:

quote:
If you don't plan on stamping your "signature" in the journal, then please don't hunt for this cache.

Since I don't have a stamp, I am not allowed to search for the cache. That is the only reason I have never done it.

Hmm... I have been meaning to get a stamp for some time. Maybe this will be my impetus to finally figure out where I can get a custom stamp and do it.

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on March 06, 2003 at 10:15 AM.]

....should be able to turn a fancy logo like yours into a stamp at someplace as close as....

Office Max

Office Depot

Staples

All of which *I believe* have access to stamp making sources based on design printouts they are handed.

Or, try a dollar store.

Ron

The stamp can be anything you choose; it does not necessarily have to be your name. The stamp in the box itself is not anyone's name. The reason for that "requirement" is to keep it as a letterbox. If it were a log to sign, it would be no different than a regular cache, in my opinion.

You can buy art stamps at most craft stores (Michael's, Beverly's, etc.) and at tons of online rubber stamp dealers. There are also many online sources for custom rubber stamps if that is what you are looking for. Heck, you can ink your thumb and stamp the log book if you want! icon_biggrin.gif

So, Fizzy, do you think that is the reason for people in general not visiting the cache, or is that just your reason? That is not a sarcastic question, by the way..just in case anyone wants to interpret my tone there icon_rolleyes.gif

I most likely won't be placing any others in the area as I have said I wasn't doing any more hiding, but I was just curious as to some of the ideas floating around about letterboxes.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

I'm planting a cache in Manstinka this weekend that I've been planning for a while. It will meet Jaimee's requirements (Regular sized)

I have requirements?? If I do, they certainly have nothing to do with cache size!! (open to interpretation) icon_wink.gif

Jaimee

quote:

So, Fizzy, do you think that is the reason for people in general not visiting the cache, or is that just your reason? That is not a sarcastic question, by the way..just in case anyone wants to interpret my tone there icon_rolleyes.gif

It's my reason, but I am guessing it is others' as well. But please don't think I was complaining; I think the letterboxing thing is cool and I have wanted to do that cache for a long time. I just never got around to getting my logo turned into a stamp.

Because if I'm going to have a stamp, it's got to be with my logo on it!

If there were more letterbox hybrids around, it might give people like me more of a push to actually get the stamps. So I think more would be good.

I found a couple on-line places where you can get a custom stamp made, but I'm going to try Office Depot first...

Good luck in getting a stamp made, Fizzy..it would be pretty cool if you could get your caching logo transformed into rubber! I have over 1000 (yes, you read that right) art rubber stamps, and I think that is why I was interested in the whole letterboxing idea. The fun part about letterboxing is that you get to compile a journal/log of all the boxes you find. It's fun to look at later and see where you have been, etc. Most people make notes in their journals about where they were, how they got there, and other details like that.

If I get in the hidin' mood again, I will plan another letterbox and see how it goes over.

Jaimee

Some folks at the Strings event were talking about puzzle caches in the Livermore Valley. I'm considering a new one, or more, in the CVC area. Since you've got some exprience icon_wink.gif what would be your advice to a newer cacher, either hiding or hunting?

As Forrest Gump would say....... "..and thats all I got to say about that."

They are tricky to place. For my first few, I always tried them out on someone else first to make sure that they weren't too hard or too easy. It's really tough to judge how hard a puzzle that you make is.

My first puzzle-type caches always included a lot of math, which was fun, but more recently I've branched out a little, because I know that a lot of people don't get the same joy I do from doing math. icon_wink.gif Cross Words, for example, can be solved by anyone, and once you see the solution, you get some extra amusement.

We're lucky in this area to have so many good puzzle caches. So far, they have all seemed fair to me: it is possible to solve them with the information given.

Don't hesitate to put out a puzzle cache and take feedback to adjust it if necessary. I'll go for it!

I've given Bill of Green Acres a preview of my first idea, and he gave me a thumbs up. He suggested you would be a good judge too. So when it's up, I'll alert you.

-----I changed my tagline this morning, I forget about the delay.----

As Forrest Gump would say....... "..and thats all I got to say about that."

quote:

I have requirements?? If I do, they certainly have nothing to do with cache size!! (open to interpretation) icon_wink.gif

Jaimee

Sorry about that Jaimee. Since you and few others have been talking about too many micro's, I've been trying my best to not plant them. There was nothing more than kind thoughts by my comment.

I'm not sure I've commented on the micro subject but do agree that I like to find as large of a cache as the area will allow. I'm also a violator of my desired cache but I'm working on it. My new challenge is to hide large caches that can't be found... or large caches that are just fun in some way. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

46085_1700e%2013

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I've been looking at that puzzle for a little while off and on again and can't seem to solve your simple puzzle.

It's a trick. What else would you expect from me? icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, there is a trick to it. My advice is to try solving the Down clues without paying any attention to the Across clues and see what hits you.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

I'm planting a cache in Manstinka this weekend that I've been planning for a while. It will meet Jaimee's requirements (Regular sized)

Jaimee

WOW!!!!! I have never met a woman who didnt have a size requirement...........

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

WOW!!!!! I have never met a woman who didnt have a size requirement...........

Mike

I actually gave up on any size requirements some time ago and learned to settle. We ARE talking about caches, right??? You dang perv Morris icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

I think everyone knows by now that I hate micro's

And YES!!! Jaimee I was talking about caches icon_biggrin.gif

Incase anybody wants to get bent out of shape over my comment...... It's an I'M A DOG thing That Jaimee and myself have been going back and forth for some time now...... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

SOOO.... Does every one have a big caching weekend set yet??? It's going to be nice weather..

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

I had planned on caching today but decided that I would wait until Pat and I could go together. It is a great day to be outside though! My daughter has a swim meet this afternoon so I will get to enjoy some sunshine then.

Pretty sad when you have to keep explaining each and every comment you make, huh Mike?? I guess the alternative is to just spit out what you want to and not give a hang who gets their feathers ruffled icon_smile.gif

Jaimee

...that it is easy to misinterpret what someone says.

Mike...

I know your feeling on CACHING macros. My comment (in its own, backhanded, off-the-mark, way) was trying to determine how you felt about macro body parts ..... male or female !

If size matters....as some will hold...macros are in a sorry state in both arenas !

Now Mike...

In regard to CACHING macros, maybe you just haven't found the right ones. I'll email you a couple you might be interested in.

Ron

Anyone journeying up to Sac for the pizza party? We had a really fun time when we went last month. Since we have done little to no caching since that time, maybe we should spend tomorrow caching in Sac and then hit the bash..hmmmm

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

SOOO.... Does every one have a big caching weekend set yet??? It's going to be nice weather..

We're plotting and scheming... New cache(s) to be unvailed soon. Hunting?? I'm not sure if I'll have time. Now - back to the garage - er, Barn. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

46085_1700e%2013

quote:
Originally posted by LilDevil:

Just a reminder that we're getting together for http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=52249 this weekend, and you southerners are also invited. I know its a way to drive, but we're worth it, right? icon_biggrin.gif

Plus there's lots of great caches up here, including http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=57117. Ok, that was a shameless plug icon_razz.gif but what the heck.

Lil Devil http://www.lildevil.org/images/smiley/lildevil.gif

Wish we could make it. Too much going on this weekend like MRI's on knees and spring cleaning at home. I have the Lil Devil Decoder Ring if any needs it. Looks like a fun cache to hunt.

-David

quote:

Anyone journeying up to Sac for the pizza party? We had a really fun time when we went last month. Since we have done little to no caching since that time, maybe we should spend tomorrow caching in Sac and then hit the bash..hmmmm

That is our plan. We are going to leave early in the morning and hit some Benicia, Vacaville and Davis caches before hitting Sac. We will probably end up staying at the Comfort Inn & Suites at 21 Howe ave, right near Sac State. We stayed there last time we were in town, and they have free internet, plus the rooms are nice (and the continental breakfast is decent as well). Maybe we'll see some people caching before pizza time. icon_smile.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Man, that sounds like a pretty full day! Not sure if we are heading up that way or not. We might opt for staying local and hitting some of the caches around here instead. So many new ones and so little time.

Have a good weekend all.

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by Camelot Cache Hunters:

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad608:

I've got a puzzler on the way...

...487 2466973 637 72Z828

A number puzzler maybe?

Too bad I'll be busy... it will be fun to watch and see hope Fizzy does. He likes number puzzles. icon_biggrin.gif

I'm with JaimeeG as far as hunting all the local caches. I just can't keep up - which is a good thing. icon_wink.gif But it would be real fun to run up to Northern California (across that Stockton line) for some pizza and laughs.

Anyone want'a plow while I go play? icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

46085_1700e%2013[/img]

I have a question about puzzle caches. How are they approved if the approvers don't know where they really are? Do you have to submit the actual coordinates to the approvers?

I was just curious because it seems that if you don't have to show where the cache actually is located, you could bypass a lot of the Geocaching "rules" if you chose to do so.

Jaimee

I'm glad folks are showing some interest. It was brought to my attention that there might have been some typo's, but I can assure you there are not. Possibly just a wrong assumption about the code itself.

There is a log on the page with "similar, but different" code that could cause confusion.

Good luck everyone. icon_biggrin.gif

487 2466973 637 72Z828

Originally posted by MrToad608:

There is a log on the page with "similar, but different" code that could cause confusion.

I didn't realize Pat hadn't logged out and I posted under his name..oops.

Anyway, what I was saying was that if my log causes any confusion I will be happy to edit it. I really doubt anyone will pay much attention to it though, and I will provide a translation for whomever might want one (it's not meant to be some big secret) icon_smile.gif

Jaimee

"What a fine thing it is to have an intellect, and room enough in the seat of your breeches to hold it."

...were nice and sunny today. This is the second time Marilyn, I and the doggie went hiking here without doing any caching. A certain freedom to that I am coming to enjoy. The only *electronic* gear I took was a pedometer.

At the end of the day while we were standing outside the green Explorer, a maroon Jeep Wagoneer was going by a short distance away and I didn't recognize the driver, but I thought I heard someone say...that's Ron.

Turns out it was Brute Force and his son-in-law. They were up there looking for some they hadn't gone for before...in the dark the first time I think.

Anyway, exchanged some pleasantries and went on our way. That's a great area, and we still have some exploring to do.

Ron

That's just plain... sick. I would have been begging to look at Brute's GPS or at least a cache sheet. ('cause I'm not the sick one - am I?) icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif

I didn't get a chance to go out hunting today as I had a bunch of homework. But with that now done, maybe I can complete at least one of my stashes tomorrow. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

46085_1800.jpg