Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

Important:

For those of you why don't have the OG party on your watch list... The party has been moved! Due to some small technical difficulties brought on by a late phone call the party will now be (still waiting on an OK from the place but) at Strings in Turlock at the same time.

Please feel free to yell at me.

You don't want to tell my Wife that ;-p Wait, I'm the only one she yells at. Oh, and she wants to know, "Do we have to bring the kids?" Hehee! Strings was the one place we used to go and really enjoyed, pre-kids, that is. Of course we'll bring the whole troop, including JWR (5 total).

Noah wants to know if they have fries? OG does ;-)'

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Will probably happen tomorrow. I think I can find a few minutes to get the coordinates so I will do that. They are supposed to call me today to confirm my reservation so lets hope it works out.

Kids? Yea, I guess you can bring them too. icon_smile.gif

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

If you receive this magazine look on page 14 of the March/

April 2003 issue for the article "Geocaching Catches On".

It's pretty good..except for the mention of caches sometimes being buried (which they are...even though the "rules" don't "allow" that. (Should those buried ones be archived?)

The Via magazine web site doesn't appear to have the story online, but maybe I just didn't search long enough.

Enjoy!

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I wonder how many geocachers you two have induced to quit after viewing your continual squabbles.

Take it to email, OK? The rest of the world isn't particularly interested.

Bravo, Fizzy!

Tammi

P.S. See everyone Saturday night...and lets all play nice. icon_smile.gif

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

....he STARTED it!

Actually, I think you're right Fizzy...the take it to email part anyway. I doubt any cacher would be influenced to stop caching because of the differences of two others. They might stop reading the forums though.

I've been trying to back off any confrontations with Georgie Porgie, but he seems to want to stir the pot now and again. Seems like it often happens right before a geo-event..though I could be wrong.

Fizzy...

What's the latest on your palm program?

Ron

It's working great. There seem to be a lot of people using it, like Bill of Green Achers, for example. icon_cool.gif

I've added a page that shows you all the caches in your query with travel bugs, and I will soon be adding one that shows all the not-yet-found caches in your query for those who pursue FTFs.

The unique feature I have found I like the best is "corrected coordinates." When a cache is not at the posted coordinates (puzzle caches, multis, etc.) you can just enter the real coordiates and my stuff automatically changes them from that point on. So now I can solve a puzzle cache, enter the true coordinates, and never have to worry about it again. Which is nice when you don't know when you'll be in the neighborhood to do the cache!

I still read the forums, regardless of the petty infighting. I also check in to read the consistant whining about this or that or the other thing.

On email attacks I have a different opinion though,. I don't mind a complaint, or even constructive criticism, but some folk have come out of left field with their own "issues" that would be better kept to themselves. I follow a "don't like it, don't hunt it" frame of mind myself. If I think a cache is unsafe or in bad taste I won't or don't hunt it.

*** On a different note ..... 70-80 Travel Bugs are soon to start their trip West, I still wonder where these bugs are going to go after the race, considering the lack of regular caches capable of handling them. I personally have been trying to place larger than log/only micros in anticipation of this.

If I'm not back soon.... just wait longer.

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad608:

I still read the forums, regardless of the petty infighting. I also check in to read the consistant whining about this or that or the other thing.

Consistent whining?? Sure, folks gripe and moan now and again about stuff, but, for the most part, I don't see the forum here as "consistent whining." There was a pretty tightknit group of cachers here in the valley, and many of us used this forum as a sounding board for ideas, feedback, etc.

As for email, what others do in private should really be of no concern to anyone else. If George and Ron decide to email privately, that is totally up to them and not at the discretion of anyone else. I, for one, think a private email conversation is usually more productive than a conversation where others get to jump in with their thoughts. The matter started between two people, and maybe that is where it should stay. Others get pulled in, or decide to join in voluntarily, and it just gets uglier and uglier.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Too bad closed minds didn't come with closed mouths.

I'm heading south from San Jose to Santa Barbara in a couple of weeks. No one on the Bay Area board has responded to my plea for good cache suggesteions along 101 S and in S.B. Any Central Valley folks with good ideas? I probably won't have time for major hikes, but some stuff at scenic stops, cliff/beach, etc. would work.

Is that as far south as you are going?? I know of some good caches in Ventura, but that's another 20-30 miles south of SB. When we visited Ventura recently, I had looked at SB caches but we never made it up there. Seems there are quite a few that don't have a high terrain difficulty. I remember specifically one about frogs..might have been a virtual though.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Camelot Cache Hunters:

Did you mean Sunday night? Or is there something else going on Saturday night?

Haven't you heard the news???? Tammi is doing her first public belly-dance at a local Middle Eastern restaurant Saturday night!! WOOOHOOOOO

icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

quote:

Did you mean Sunday night? Or is there something else going on Saturday night?

Haven't you heard the news???? Tammi is doing her first public belly-dance at a local Middle Eastern restaurant Saturday night!! WOOOHOOOOO

icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Shhhh, you're gonna spoil the Strings surprise I have planned. icon_biggrin.gif

Get a couple glasses of wine down me and you just never know! hehehe

Tammi

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Jaimee and Tammi,

Okay we've arranged for our neighbor's daughter to babysit the kids on Sunday. Bring on the show!

Hey...leave me out of this!!! I said BLONDES do questionable things. Us brunettes are much too sedate to do anything that may raise an eyebrow icon_biggrin.gif

Someone take a camera to Strings, k?? Shhhh..don't tell Tammi I said that!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Jaimee and Tammi,

Okay we've arranged for our neighbor's daughter to babysit the kids on Sunday. Bring on the show!

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mary

Oh geez..the pressure, the pressure to perform..I sure hope the snake is up to it, he gets shy at times. icon_biggrin.gif

Tammi

And JAIMEE!! Jealousy over my luxurious blonde hair just doesn't become you! Oh wait, I might have cut it all off.....but you won't now, will YOU!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

quote:

Consistent whining?? Sure, folks gripe and moan now and again about stuff, but, for the most part, I don't see the forum here as "consistent whining." There was a pretty tightknit group of cachers here in the valley, and many of us used this forum as a sounding board for ideas, feedback, etc.

As for email, what others do in private should really be of no concern to anyone else. If George and Ron decide to email privately, that is totally up to them and not at the discretion of anyone else. I, for one, think a private email conversation is usually more productive than a conversation where others get to jump in with their thoughts. The matter started between two people, and maybe that is where it should stay. Others get pulled in, or decide to join in voluntarily, and it just gets uglier and uglier.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I try not to whine. I actually enjoy talking to people in the forum. It gets rather interesting sometimes.

As for the entire G&R thing. I have already concluded that it is done out of enjoyment from both parties. If someone actually wanted to stop then it would have stopped by now. No one started it first, it just started. It's ok though because I completly understand.

70546_800.gif

Again this leads me conclude that this is all a game. Some things aren't written in the rules (like whining and complaining and fighting and complementing on good caches) but it is all part of the game. Now sit back and enjoy! Just make sure to wear your helmet.

70546_800.gif

...there's enjoyment and then there's enjoyment!

The squabbling that George and I have done requires a lot of energy...energy that can be better expended in other ways.

I've started a dialogue with George, he has responded and we'll be working something out, but won't be able to do so before the geo-event.

That's OK, there will be other things to celebrate that night....geocaching !

Ron

Thanks! I added a mention on the press page icon_smile.gif

Jeremy

Original Message Follows:

------------------------

Subject: Geocaching Article in triple A magazine

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 22:12:19 -0800

The March/April issue of AAA Via magazine has a pretty good article on page 14. Aside from the mention of caches sometimes being "buried", it is

OK.

Enjoy !

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

Hi -

F. and I hope to make it to the event this week-end - she's doing some work on Sunday, and it all depends on when that work ends...

Hope to see everyone!

-J

[This message was edited by TeamJiffy on March 01, 2003 at 01:19 AM.]

Hope to see you there! I really hope we have enough room. I don't mind everyone coming and I don't think the manager of Strings does either. I think we have about 45 people showing up icon_eek.gif

So this better be good!

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

I've started a dialogue with George, he has responded and we'll be working something out, but won't be able to do so before the geo-event.

That's OK, there will be other things to celebrate that night....geocaching !

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

My hat off to our Top Brass! With much respect - Thank you.

New subject:

I'm looking forward to tomorrow night. I'm sure things will be packed but that's ok. It may just be a matter of going with the situation and having a great time. I know I'll have fun.

I also understand that several of the old school are sick or recovering from being sick. We'll see those sickies at the next gathing. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

46085_1700e%2013

What can I say.... Thanks Fallen for a great get together.

I hope the waitors were able to sort the checks and you didn't get stuck.

It was nice meeting, Fallen, Uncle Eugene, Death On Wings, Duelly, Macfamily6, George & Mary, DCline, and so many others I can't name and others I see all the time too.

It was a packed house for sure. There were folks in the spare room too.

**** George thanks for the puzzle ... You Know Who?, solved it, drove by on the way home, got within .37 miles from one side and 350' from the other... but.... babysitter had to get home etc. So do I get a first to solve award? icon_wink.gif

I'll have to hunt it another day.

Hypocrisy = claiming to be "open minded" yet demonstrating judgementalism and intolerance.

I've been mullin' over a name change, but wasn't sure if I wanted to go through the ordeal and then educate folks about it... Then there is the whole hassle of coming up with a clever and catchy nickname.

Well, Strings was enjoyable and all, to a point ;-p A bit over-crowded, a bit too hot, a bit too loud, a bit over-tired 4.75-year old, 2.5 year old still working out the mechanics of a potty without adult supervision, and a Momma who has been overworked all day (I'd been trying to clean out the study, which is really just our all-purpose "junk room" and blaming her for all the stuff in there that was my fault for letting it collect elsewhere and then she'd put it in neat piles where I could never find anything).... let's just say it reminded me of our "elmo-fried" phrase that we came up with some time back. Actually, I think it had a four-letter word at the beggining of the phrase, but, well, one shouldn't write something one would regret other family members reading ;-p

I think originally it came from our mutual dislike of this satanic.. I mean, evil.., I mean, battery operated Elmo "doll" that some oh-so-nice person gave us. Anywho, I don't even recall the whole story or whatever, but I'm some it's 'blogged somewhere at elmo-fried, but perhaps not.

To make a short story long: jroysdon -> elmo-fried!

Strings_Noah_Rebekah_2003-03-02.jpg

Noah and Rebekah, chowin' down on pasta at Strings

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:

**** George thanks for the puzzle ... You Know Who?, solved it, drove by on the way home, got within .37 miles from one side and 350' from the other... but.... babysitter had to get home etc. So do I get a first to solve award? icon_wink.gif

Nothing counts until you sign the log. I'm glad you solved it though, I suspect, someone will get it tonight though.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I'm a new cacher BUT!! I'm thinking of not going on with it. I was real excited at first but after reading this forum a few times I dont know if I want to continue. The Ron and George thing. I can see good points on both sides but it should be left for private email.. NOW it looks like This MR Toad is trying to start something with Jaimee G. with his remarks in his signature foot notes. I think Jaimee G. has just been speaking her mind and I have not seen anything negitive from her. The few caches that I have found were fun and some not. (I have not logged them yet) In my Oppinion these little film canisters that are everywhere are pretty lame. Thats just my oppinion!!

Evil

Pure Evil...thanks! I read Mr. Toad's signature line and sent a private email regarding it. I am trying to avoid any further conflict in a public forum, and it would be nice if others would do the same.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pure Evil:

In my Oppinion these little film canisters that are everywhere are pretty lame. Thats just my oppinion!!

Evil

Everyone is entitled to have one. I personally enjoy the variety and creativity of the caches we find. There have been some really creative 35 film canister hides and some really lame ones. The same goes for full sized caches. Not all of them are going to be great. Since the cache size is given on the cache page, it's relatively easy to avoid micro caches if you don't care for them. Figure out the kind you enjoy finding, and get outside and find them. That's what it's all about.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

We had a great time the Strings event. Thanks again to Fallen and if I remember right, JaimeeG who originally got the dinner idea going with Olive Garden for the 1 year anniversary. As a newbie it was nice to be included. The crew from Camelot enjoyed meeting so many others and learning some tips for better Geocaching.

My first placement Is Your GPSr Off Target is gone icon_frown.gif After reading the post by Marky I went to check it. So here is my question...I archived the cache because it is gone and don't want to rehide in the same spot, but after doing that I saw the temporary disable button. If I want to change the coordinates and rehide will I be able to bring this back from the archives?

David

quote:

If I want to change the coordinates and rehide will I be able to bring this back from the archives?

David,

I don't think you can un-archive a cache, but I could be wrong. I have only used the "temporarily disable" function on caches that were missing. Once I decided if I wanted to replace them, I took it from there.

Jaimee

quote:

So here is my question...I archived the cache because it is gone and don't want to rehide in the same spot, but after doing that I saw the temporary disable button. If I want to change the coordinates and rehide will I be able to bring this back from the archives?

David

The only way to get something un-archived is to e-mail Jeremy or one of the approvers. Try the approver of the cache listed at the bottom of the cache page.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"