Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Yes it was nice to finally meet one of the CVC'ers on here. Enjoyed finding the caches too. I only wish there was more daylight after work! Or less work! LOL

If I can do 2 a day or at least every other day during the week I think that is pretty good.

Still having some trouble with some that are supposed to be "easy". I am learning that easy is a relative term with the caches around here! :-D

Under the Sea has eluded me so far, both times have been at night and we have not had any luck with finding caches at night. I would prefer to do caching after dark, but haven't logged any successes so far. I suppose it helps to have a decent flashlight that isn't dim and cutting out all the time. icon_rolleyes.gif

Pirate and Mickey's have also been hunted more than once without success. Man Bites Dog and a couple others are still on the agenda. But it's been fun!

Sandy icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad608:

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

Anybody know anybody, that might want a 2 month old Etrex Venture with cables and manuals. I'm upgrading to another unit and mine is available. icon_eek.gif >>>> $100 <<<< icon_eek.gif firm, cash price. You can email me from my profile page.

Do you still have it?

Yes, currently I have a friend at work, interested .... maybe.

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

If I'm not back soon.... just wait longer.

Ok. Let me know because I might have a friend interested in it also.... maybe also.

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Partytown:

Yes it was nice to finally meet one of the CVC'ers on here. Enjoyed finding the caches too. I only wish there was more daylight after work! Or less work! LOL

If I can do 2 a day or at least every other day during the week I think that is pretty good.

Still having some trouble with some that are supposed to be "easy". I am learning that easy is a relative term with the caches around here! :-D

Under the Sea has eluded me so far, both times have been at night and we have not had any luck with finding caches at night. I would prefer to do caching after dark, but haven't logged any successes so far. I suppose it helps to have a decent flashlight that isn't dim and cutting out all the time. icon_rolleyes.gif

Pirate and Mickey's have also been hunted more than once without success. Man Bites Dog and a couple others are still on the agenda. But it's been fun!

Sandy icon_biggrin.gif

I'm actually beginning to think this one isn't here anymore. If I ever make it out to Modesto I can check for you. The other ones are actually difficult. So... Have fun anyway!

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

I'm actually beginning to think this one isn't here anymore. If I ever make it out to Modesto I can check for you. The other ones are actually difficult. So... Have fun anyway!

Which one are you talking about Fallen?? Under The Sea was found yesterday. Mickey's hasn't been found since the 30th, but there have been no DNFs logged on it. Do you know something about it that we don't? icon_biggrin.gif Just curious as to why you would think it isn't there anymore.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Too bad closed minds didn't come with closed mouths.

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

Which one are you talking about Fallen?? Under The Sea was found yesterday. Mickey's hasn't been found since the 30th, but there have been no DNFs logged on it. Do you know something about it that we don't? icon_biggrin.gif Just curious as to why you would think it isn't there anymore.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hmm... Maybe next time I should look at the log. I have talked to 2 other cachers about a month ago and they spent an hour looking for it and couldn't find it. I find this amazing. If it was found the 30th the it is probably still there. Just look harder icon_smile.gif

70546_800.gif

Well the times we tried were at night, we locked right onto the coordinates .. looked under and in shrubs and bushes but still came up empty.

I was really looking forward to finding Under the Sea cause I had some specific theme items to put in there.

I am not giving up!!! Far from it, just saying so far twice and no finds on either of those. But it's been a blast looking so far and makes me want to keep looking until I do find them!

icon_biggrin.gif

Oh and Pam, one thing about the picnic you brought up earlier, that saturday isn't good for me either cause of FOTE. What about planning one for April or May sometime?

Sandy

Wow - 3 away from 700! Congrats! I'm sure you're out right now with a flashlight hunting those last 3 down!

And congrats to Fizzy on 500; and George on 800!

Have a great week-end,

Cathyicon_smile.gif

There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors.

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

Yahoooo..more micros to look forward to!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

There's always the ''TN, Left a Baby'' log. So Jaimee, How about a large mommy cache that's ready to birth regular caches? icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

New subject...

I stopped by George's Back Road cache today and found it. I thought it note worthy because I was also the last to hunt it. That was November 16 - last year! Rest assured, it's there and waiting. It's a good cache for a newbie as well as everyone else. Good job George.

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This

[This message was edited by Green Achers on February 15, 2003 at 05:11 PM.]

[This message was edited by Green Achers on February 15, 2003 at 05:46 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by TeamJiffy:

I just read this news story on MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.com/news/873613.asp?0cv=CB20.

I hope it isn't as bad as the article makes out - I've never noticed a smog problem the few dozen times I've been in the valley (Of course, I fully understand the frustrating combination of mountain-locked areas and smog...)

-J

The ironic part is, much of the smog blows in from the bay area.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

What I am still trying to figure out is why they are mainly attacking the people of the valley for the pollution when we already have some of the strongest pollution laws in the world, instead of attacking the Bay Area who doesn't have the strong pollution laws (compared to ours) and is the majority of the valley's problems. The article even says that banning fireplaces is "all they can do" because there really isn't any other source of direct pollution in the valley. What about summer when no one uses their fireplaces and we in the valley forget that the sky is actually blue? Why at that time of the year is San Francisco's skies blue and free of pollution? Because we are breathing it!

70546_800.gif

We planed our first cache today. The girls were pretty excited. Found 0/2 today. Rob is pretty bummed and ready to throw the etrex away. Would appreciate some feedback when anyone finds it as far as the rating goes. Since we seem to have a hard time finding stuff, what we think is hard is probably a 1 to everyone else!

Arlene

quote:
Originally posted by rob/arlene:

We planed our first cache today. The girls were pretty excited. Found 0/2 today. Rob is pretty bummed and ready to throw the etrex away. Would appreciate some feedback when anyone finds it as far as the rating goes. Since we seem to have a hard time finding stuff, what we think is hard is probably a 1 to everyone else!

Arlene

Which ones did you try?

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by rob/arlene:

Arlene

I first heard about GeoCaching from an old co-worker who had moved up to Portland, Oregon, and figured I'd go give it a try that night as there was one less than a mile away... after an hour of frustrated searching I gave up and didn't try another GeoCache for 3 months when my brother moved back from Arizona (GeoCaching isn't as much fun solo as with 2-3 in the group).

Anyway, until you get about half a dozen under you belt and start to get an idea of what people hide and how and where, I think it's 'hard' at first. Even some of the 1 star ones can be a challenge (Fat City in Manteca has been stumping a lot of folks lately). Typical containers I've seen are film canisters (typically micros), Altoid tins painted camo or black, larger ones can be tupperwear to ammo cans and painted camo and typically under good ground cover or well hidden (not usually in urban areas).

Also, sometimes what one person might find easy (as they guessed the location and found it right away), the same cache may take another person a long time if their GPS is fibbing or they just don't guess and looking in the right spot (or worse, at the right angle). I'd recommend putting a number of 1 star ones that are local on your watch list, and then going after them when you get notified that someone else has recently found them (that way you have a really good chance of knowing that it's still there and hasn't been spoiled by a non-Cacher). The first one I went after has since been removed from the system, and I don't recall when the last person had found it before I went, so for all I know it wasn't really even there anymore.

Here's some hints about GPSr (GPS Receivers): sometimes they can be a good 30-60 feet off, even though they say they have 15 feet of precision and you're <10 feet from it. Typically what I do is walk around the area and toward where I think the cache is from 3-4 angles to get a good general fix on it. If I have problems getting that good general fix [nearly 50% of the time), I turn the GPSr off and back on again and let it just sit on the ground while I poke around. Then in 2-3 minutes of it getting a chance to 'settle' I'll use it again to get a good idea [usually I can get it to be within 5-15 feet of it)... but that's as accurate as it gets, you can still end up having to search a lot of area.

Oh, and bring gloves (I like the disposable ones which I chuck at the end of the day)... lots of evil, err, sneaky, folks hiding stuff in bushes and I hate getting my hands and arms scrachted up. Now I typically wear a long-sleeve button-up shirt on top of a t-shirt or a jacket and then wash both right awsy if I was far off from urban areas and am near unknown plants (washing them in hot water and with poison oak/ivy cleaning stuff you can get at Wal-Greens, etc.). I only say this as JWR ended up with a bad rash from a small scratch/cut which got poison in it and spread all over his arm (and being a red hed doesn't help him). We practice 'Safe Caching' now, especially when out hiking around (half a dozen fun ones near Knight's Ferry/Tullock Rd. area).

Worst case, hook up with another crew of GeoCachers and have them show you the ropes. One thing you have to think of: Most caches are hidden right in public out where anyone could find them, but folks just don't as they're not where folks would look or find them.

Give Scenic Surprise (GCB621) a try (good location for getting used to the GPSr's odd behavior) and if you like it try Y.S.Y.L LO (GCBF88) which is a bit harder but along the same theme lines. I was going to recommend Fifi Morte (GCA339) as a first one to go for as it was so easy, but alas it has been archived.

Oh, for another easy one, I hear my first and only hidden cache, Jacob Maybe (GCC6FE) is really easy (well, depending if the hunting conditions permit).

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

reading my post, I see I wasn't really clear. When anyone finds our cache, I would like feedback as to whether they think the difficulty we rated is accurate.

As to what we tried to find today...MurphyFamily/Murphy Park and Bee-ing in Arnold.

We were going to put one in Murphys Park a few weeks ago and decided against it. That park is EXTREMELY busy in the spring/summer/fall. It is almost deserted this time of year, but not when the weather warms up. (By the way, the town name is Murphys, not Murphy, and it is Murphys Park, not Murphy Park) Well, if it was rated as a 1, and it is one to let the kids find, then we are totally blind.

Bee-ing in Arnold is in a busy foot traffic area. It is hard to be discreet when both kids were running around trying to rip everything in sight to shreds. I made a comment about running off steam in front of some people to give a "reason" for us to be there. This busy holiday weekend lots of people are heading up the mountian to go skiing and driving long distances.

I know we just need more practice to get a feel for what people use as hiding places.

Arlene

I was hoping to run over to Fat City this morning and then run up the mountains for some hunting and planting.

Well, Fat City is there and I just can't figure out why it can't be found. icon_biggrin.gif I did uncover it a bit but really, I could see it (partly because I know where to look) while I was standing there. It's really a weak camo job. icon_wink.gif

Once I got up past New Hogan (hwy 88) I realized my PDA didn't get the cache report for the area. Could this be because I flat out forgot to get a cache report? Maybe. So I was stuck doing all blind stashing (not knowing if there was another cache next to it (which is the case with Fat City). Luckily, they're all good.

So here's the challenge... a few of the CVC thought Fear Factor was scary. icon_eek.gif While I'm not afraid of high places, I was somewhat challenge today. The name is Where Two Waters Cross.

I don't think too many cachers are going up there, let alone brave enough to successfully logging a find, but it was fun anyway. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

[This message was edited by Green Achers on February 18, 2003 at 09:34 AM.]

I can't believe how quiet this forum has been lately. I hope everyone is doing fine and still finding caches. George, the kids and I went up to Sacramento and found a few this past weekend. It was a nice, relaxing, long weekend. Unfortunately we won't have anymore long weekends until April.

Mary

39570_500.jpg

Hey Mary!

Ya, it looks like everyone's laying low right now. I stopped by two caches today (in between taking care of entire house of sickies). Found neither so I feel real good - not. icon_wink.gif

Meeting Marky or Son of Madness has once again left me standing in the road. I know the coordinates are bad but I can't figure how off they are.

On Yep...Whiteout II, I'm making headway. I lost my way the first visit. Now I made it to the hunting area. I was only able to turn over a couple head stones and dump a few flower pots before it started to rain hard so I bailed. [Just kidding about the damage.]

So how's numeral uno? icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

I'm huntin' wabbit.... errr caches.

If it were summer, the crickets would be deafining here in the forum.

I noticed over the weekend Bill was busy launching a batch of new caches in the hills.

Also I saw a few Manteca area finds and a few more DNF's for "Fat City" and "Green One Returns".

I ran into Catmit, Little Bigs, and Katie near the "Quail's Roost".

I set a new cache in Riverbank "It Ain't Easy Being Green" and it was found by a new cacher with 5 finds to date.

I even sang some folk songs while trashing out the Mannnnteca bike trial area.

quote:

I even sang some folk songs while trashing out the Mannnnteca bike trial area.

Now that's good old fashion pride! Folk Songs and Trashing land... Good job, Toad. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

[This message was edited by Green Achers on February 19, 2003 at 09:36 PM.]

Originally posted by Green Achers:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46754 has once again left me standing in the road. I know the coordinates are bad but I can't figure how off they are.

Glad to know I'm in good company on this one. I too found myself wandering in the road. Someone else took a more radical approach to finding the cache --- Pow! Right into the wall. icon_eek.gif

David

"A cache a day...that's all I ask."

quote:
Originally posted by Fattuhr:

When I found this cache, I zeroed out about four feet from where I found it.

Bill try turning off your GPSr and then turning it back on. Once it reboots maybe you'll get a better reading.

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I zeroed about 4 feet from this one too. Maybe your GPS was having a bad day.

I don't know about everyone else, but school just started and I haven't had much time to cache. icon_frown.gif

Oh well, I guess I just got spoiled over vacation.

70546_800.gif

quote:

Maybe, I'll also stop over at Special Ops and pick up that FTF. If I'm not mistaking, those man eaters are dalmations and I have connections in that field. icon_biggrin.gif Bill of Green Achers

Nope..they are chihuahuas!! I went by there last week and was quite intimidated by the little yappers. I only had 17.5 feet of carpet, and there was just no way I could make it work. I did make it inside, but I can't say how I did it (top secret info that would require clearance before being divulged!). I decided to take my spot welder and try to exit through the tunnel. After opening a spot to slide through, I realized that my 3.2-foot wide butt wouldn't fit through the 3-foot space. I had to take an alternate route for exiting. All I can say is I am very thankful for those years I spent at the military academy!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

I do think it's funny that when you open the link, you get the page of topic but the Leonardo's EII header... then, if you click the Watch This for Special Ops, you save the Leonardo's EII cache.

Drat's on the mutts. I was hoping for fire pooch's. At least Jaimee was kind enough to leave me that FTF! icon_biggrin.gif

Wait a second... the cache doesn't turn up on a search through Geocaching. I'm not sure I understand everything I know about this.

Bill of Green Achers

icon_confused.gif

quote:

Wait a second... the cache doesn't turn up on a search through Geocaching. I'm not sure I understand everything I know about this.

Bill of Green Achers

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/46085_1700e%2013 icon_confused.gif

First thing you noticed is that the cache is not listed on geocaching.com. It's a clone of sorts. For some reason he thought that the cache wouldn't be approved so he's playing some game.

george

39570_500.jpg

Hey Jaimee -

We were able to make quick work of Special Ops thanks to you. We arrived on the scene with carpet in tow expecting to need all four of us to break in and get back out. We took a quick look around only to find that the dogs were not anywhere to be found, much to the relief of Harold and Chris (man-eating dogs, remember?). We immediately realized the importance of the lack of barking - the dogs had gone down the drain! We scrapped plan A in favor of searching for the drain opening. After a quick search beneath the freeway (the car noise masked any noise we were making) we discovered the opening. Having brought our headlamps and having a little spelunking experience, it was no big deal to scurry through massive 3' pipes into the cache location. Using the power of four, we quickly located the cache only to discover we had no pen to sign the log. (Sherrie had to shed the geocaching fanny pack in order to fit through a tight place in the drain pipe.) Since our hands were a bit dirty after the scramble through the pipe, we each managed to leave a faint thumb print on the log sheet. Back out the way we came in, we had only to log the cache online to claim our find. Imagine our disappointment when we discovered it is a members-only cache, and we are not members! Oh well. Thanks for the fun cache and the memories anyway, Ron.

Retreevers 4

I am glad to see that I could assist my fellow cachers in finding "Special Ops." While I don't get the glory of the FTF, I do get the satisfaction of knowing I aided my fellow man/woman. My apologies to the dog owners though. Rumor is there are some mean creatures living in that drain pipe that like little Hispanic dogs!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Planning Saturday hunt and taking some kids, picnicing too. I check the map and consider Turluck, nothing but micros (except one) and mostly log only. I check Waterford, again micros mostly log only. Beginning to see a pattern. To make a long search short...

... were off to the Livermore area for a few regulars in the park off 84.

BTW... "Trail Hopper" (GCD8D1) is now approved in Oakdale, it's a mutli with trade items and a TB in the final.

quote:
Originally posted by retreevers 4:

Imagine our disappointment when we discovered it is a members-only cache, and we are not members! Oh well. Thanks for the fun cache and the memories anyway, Ron.

Retreevers 4

Disappointment? You should be excited that you finally have a reason to become a member! icon_biggrin.gif Congrats is in order (only if you pay up). LOL

Pi - I figured out my error while replying to George. Now with the correct coords, I dont have the time to run over to get the FTF. Rats!

I'm off to the A'mond Blossom Festival and if that gets old - Geocaching!! icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

46085_1700e%2013

quote:

Planning Saturday hunt and taking some kids, picnicing too. I check the map and consider Turluck, nothing but micros (except one) and mostly log only. I check Waterford, again micros mostly log only. Beginning to see a pattern. To make a long search short...

... were off to the Livermore area for a few regulars in the park off 84.

BTW... "Trail Hopper" (GCD8D1) is now approved in Oakdale, it's a mutli with trade items and a TB in the final.

Yeah, the kids aren't too hot for micro/log-only caches, but I manage to get them to come along so long as there is at least one at a park or one larger cache to find.

We're heading out to Knight's Ferry to pick up 2-3 more that I didn't have printouts for (and will do that Oakdale one on the way back).

Also, we've started doing searches for BMs in an area I plan to GeoCache in.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Important:

For those of you why don't have the OG party on your watch list... The party has been moved! Due to some small technical difficulties brought on by a late phone call the party will now be (still waiting on an OK from the place but) at Strings in Turlock at the same time.

Please feel free to yell at me.

70546_800.gif