Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I recently disabled a particular cache. Twelve days after is was disabled I had 2 people log it as a find. Without starting anything in the forum I want to know what others would do. I think im going to delete their finds.

Everybody happy now icon_smile.gif

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

Just wanted to do a test here. I changed my user name and wondered if all my old posts would convert to the new name or stay the same. (I know next to nothing about computer stuff, in case you hadn't figured that out already!).

Jaimee

Too bad closed minds didn't come with closed mouths.

Is Jamie sick of Ozzy? We still have to call you LO! icon_smile.gif

70546_800.gif

Good Morning,

Are the coordinates for the CVC Tag cache the coords that Short Circuit has posted?

Congrats Pat on 365! Way to go...........

Welcome new cachers!

Cathy icon_rolleyes.gif

There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors.

Wow..busy board in the last several hours!

With regard to Exit, Exit, I am still waiting to be able to call it a DNF. Two trips and we still haven't been able to look for it properly. I guess I could just dig around no matter who is looking though. I do believe we have had a few cachers around here who adopted that style previously! icon_eek.gif

Fallen...my thoughts on logging disabled caches. If a cache has been disabled and someone knows that, why would they go for it??? If someone knows the cache has been disabled but they know it still exists, or at least a portion of it does, and they purposely go and find it, then I think that's wrong. If I were to find a cache that had been disabled, I would contact the owner and tell them about it and see what they said. I think it's up to you on the deleting part, but I don't think you would be wrong for doing it.

Catmit...the Tag cache is, or should be, at the coordinates Short Circuit provided. We meant to see where it was before we headed out to cache yesterday but kinda sorta forgot! I think maybe the appeal of the Tag cache has died down a bit now that it has been in circulation for a while. When it first started, I wanted to be sure to beat people to it, but now I don't really care..if it's near to where I am going to be, then I will look for it; if not, oh well..another time!

Off to Sacramento. I am going to a quilt show in Folsom while Pat visits his grandmother in Grass Valley. We are then meeting up with Ron later in the day to do a bit of caching before attending the River City group's pizza happening. Should be a fun day!

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

....in regard to the two finds that occured after you had already disabled the caches.

I think it depends on why you disabled the caches. The fact they were still physically there is a factor too. The people who found them might have done so from printouts they obtained before you disabled the caches. IF that was the case it wouldn't seem right to delete their posts...in my humble opinion.

I have recently disabled three of mine for repair and relocation purposes. I posted notes on the caches before I did that, but not everyone would have seen those notes necessarily.

Subsequently, if anyone went for MY three disabled caches they would have had a REALLY hard time finding them as I PULLED THE CACHES...they aren't there anymore.

Lots of VARIABLES !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on February 08, 2003 at 09:02 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

Are we still on for this? I talked to the manager of OG tonight and he said Sunday would be better. Could everyone still come if I make the OG event on Sunday, March 2nd?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/70546_800.gif

If the date changes to Sunday, I'll be there. We have plans on 3/1 that interfere.

We stopped off at Go Go Gadget yesterday by chance and found the cover is at an all time low. The funny thing is that this cache has continued to be hunted often enough that it can migrate just enough to keep it hidden. This would be an example of good cachers discretion. Now with spring on the way, the process will reverse and it will become hidden too well.

As far as hunting in front of the public, that's always a wonder. I often try to park my car in a manner that will block their view. This also gives me a chance to ''look at my car'' rather than ''look at who's looking at me''.

After I find the cache, I ''keep looking'' so if someone is watching me, they won't know where I got the cache from. Replacing it in the same way, I figure that even if they do catch on to what's up, they'll have a hunt on their hands. Kind of self protection of the cache... if they know the area of the cache but not it's location, they'd have to declare a DNF! icon_biggrin.gif

Some caches just have to be hunting in front of God and everyone else (Spike and Ivy Go Shopping, Blue Bandit) and you need to come up with a plan of attack. Others are more subtle during the hunt (Yep...Whiteout II) and it's just the pick up, signature and replacement that's possibly under suspicion. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

I, have found 3 disabled caches. One was due to the fact that I was in the park after another cache there and this one(Pushing it) had me very curious as to what was going on. I did not post it though until George said it was ok to do so. I also found one of Mikes because I was there thinking about putting one of my own in the area. Then, Ron showed up with same idea an he did just that. We then went to see if Mikes was there just to pull and return it if it was. Then, I was looking for a place to hide a cache in Westly and had no idea another one was there. I just happened to check nearest waypoint and saw that I was parked .14 mi from one. I went to investigate and found Georges "Where I 1st looked" I had NO clue that it was disabled. The coords had been in my gps quite some time. Lots of reasons why someone would go find a disabled cache. Perhaps a page had been printed out weeks before hand. I did that before getting the PDA. That caused me to spend a lot of time looking for P F fishing hole only to see that it was gone after I got home

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

So I'm confused (again). Why is a cache that's still in place and in good order disabled?

I know I hunted one of Georges when it was in need of his attention. After I found it, I remembered I was waiting for him to repair it and felt bad that I jumped the gun... so I went back and found it again after he did his thing. It was much easier to find the second visit and that had nothing to do with my first visit.

If the cache has been disabled due to the huntability being easier than intended, delete the find. In my case, I contacted George and told him that I screwed up. If he would have deleted it, I would have understood. I broke our agreement... by mistake but never the less, hunted a disabled cache.

Now I have more than just waypoints in a GPSr to help me during the hunts so I know more about what I'm looking for than the coords. Like Brute, I've hunted several missing/archived caches due to old data.

Thanks again Fizzy and Fallen for bringing me into the PDA technology.

Bill of Green Achers

In my previous post I should have used a different title....what I am looking for is some caches with disabled-PERSON access....regular caches that a person with bad legs can get to without too much trouble. He can walk with a cane, but not very far. I've directed him to a few caches up here that I think he can get to....was just wondering if there are more in the valley that would be fun for him. Thanks folks.

PS: I'm headed down to Modesto today to check out a few caches. Not sure which to hit yet....

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

Subsequently, if anyone went for MY three disabled caches they would have had a REALLY hard time finding them as I PULLED THE CACHES...they aren't there anymore.

What a coincidence! I went for one of your disabled caches today and found it! But I was told that it was archived, so I brought it down the mountain with me. I am so sorry for the mistake. I'm drying out the contents now.

....too funny! I never even thought about the kind of caches a disabled person could go for...hopefully I won't need to look for that kind for a while.

Also funny .... Fizzy grabbed up my Buddy Box cache which was on the disabled list and waiting for me to go get it. Fizzy saved me a steep hike...thanked him for that already and will pick up the Buddy Box soon.

When I first started placing caches the mode for quite a few people was to find "novelty" containers to use. I think I put out about 4 briefcase containers and Buddy Box was a supersized briefcase.

I think the 1 to 2 quart sized make the most sense now in woodland settings. A good size to find and doesn't require all that much space for hiding. The briefcase caches needed black plastic bags, and they shred after awhile. I believe I will eventually get all those replaced, but it may take a while...I'd rather go to some new caches rather than my own !

A great pizza party in Sac tonight with good turnout from those parts, plus me, JaimieG, Fattuhr, Fallen and George in attendance from the south.

Those who stayed long enough to get to know some of the Sac cachers know they are a different breed of cacher...a kinder, gentler thousand points of light...as NightKnight might say.

Ron

I'll leave the finds. I guess I'm just obsessed and update my data every day and don't know how other people don't.

I disabled this one because I was going to pull it out. I wanted to allow for people who have found it previously to log it. Maybe a bad idea on my part.

Anyway. Now I know I stayed up too late.

70546_800.gif

Caches for "disabled" folks... Little Hawaii (Ripon), Under the Sea (Modesto), Exit Exit (Salida), Don't Play On The Tracks (Escalon), and I'm sure there are many more I'm forgeting.

Went to Antelope (Mrs. Toad had a baby shower to attend) got a couple spare hours to hunt. Found 4 of 4 in that area. I was dissappointed in the ratings of difficulty versus my experience in the CVC areas and hunts. Sac area 3 stars seem similar to CVC area 1 stars. Maybe it's just me.

Met the infamous Ron Streeter in the Antelope area too. I went for a cache and noticed a man following with a "cell phone" that looked an awful lot like a Magellan 315. It seems we were both drawn to the 4 star cache, which I found in a single touch. Now that I logged and checked the page it seems others (LO & Fattuhr) also hit that cache today, and it somehow lost a half star.

Overall it was a nice day hunting and I got my 50th find.

If I'm not back soon.... just wait longer.

quote:
Originally posted by SpecialDelivery:

In my previous post I should have used a different title....what I am looking for is some caches with disabled-PERSON access....regular caches that a person with bad legs can get to without too much trouble.

I have a few caches that meet the need. You'll find the correct lable on the cache page. Anyone stasher that is interested may grab the icon and add it to their cache page too.

I've never thought about it before, but I'll start adding these notes to my find logs as well (when they apply). icon_smile.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad608:

Went to Antelope (Mrs. Toad had a baby shower to attend) got a couple spare hours to hunt. Found 4 of 4 in that area. I was dissappointed in the ratings of difficulty versus my experience in the CVC areas and hunts. Sac area 3 stars seem similar to CVC area 1 stars. Maybe it's just me.

Mr. Toad..I think you will find the ratings in other areas are usually quite different from the ones here in the valley. We have cached in other parts of CA and other states as well, and we have noticed the same thing each and every time.

I think our caches are tougher here because we had a time period where there were just a handful of people (Ron, G&M, the Morris', Tomaski, us, etc.) placing caches, and we all worked really hard to outdo the others and be sure it was challenging! It certainly made for some fun times, but I know it has provided a headache or two to those not from the area!

Congratulations on find #50!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Welcome first class... My mind is full of possible ties to your cacher name. Mid-wifery for one. LOL I better stop before I get in trouble. icon_biggrin.gif So I'll just say, Welcome... I'm sure you'll do well.

What cache are you thinking about hunting first? icon_confused.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:

Caches for "disabled" folks... Little Hawaii (Ripon), Under the Sea (Modesto), Exit Exit (Salida), Don't Play On The Tracks (Escalon), and I'm sure there are many more I'm forgeting.

Met the infamous Ron Streeter in the Antelope area too. I went for a cache and noticed a man following with a "cell phone" that looked an awful lot like a Magellan 315. It seems we were both drawn to the 4 star cache, which I found in a single touch. Now that I logged and checked the page it seems others (LO & Fattuhr) also hit that cache today, and it somehow lost a half star.

Overall it was a nice day hunting and I got my 50th find.

Are you talking about the topic I started?

About Ron... That is really funny! I have also done that, but my Magellan Meridian Platinum is a little larger and harder to fake the "cell phone" thing with.

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by SpecialDelivery:

In my previous post I should have used a different title....what I am looking for is some caches with disabled-PERSON access....regular caches that a person with bad legs can get to without too much trouble.

Nevermind the question part.

70546_800.gif

I am new to caching as well as the forum. I received a GPS as a christmas gift and learned about Geocaching from my nephew, who doesn't cache yet. Finally started caching mid-Jan 03. Having a ball! We've done some family outings and I've grabbed a couple on my own. Look forward to catching up with some of you in the future.

David

"A cache a day...that's all I ask."

Okay....we're still pretty green at caching, but have made the decision we enjoy it! Lots of pluses. However, after finding 15 (see how green we still are) we're getting ready to hide some. We've got one cache ready to go soon...it only seems fair that those who seek should also hide, what comes around goes around!

Also, I have made mention in the past of planing a caching picnic, and yes, we would still like to put it together, but here's the thing: The best weekend for us is either March 1 or 2...and I see that there are plans in the works for the Olive Garden...is anyone still up for a caching picnic that weekend too? Or should we toss it in the can? Here's the plans that we were thinking:

Geocaching Event - Picnic

Saturday or Sunday March 1st or 2nd

Meet in Davis Park under the large covered picnic area

10:30 a.m.

Hide a cache the morning before the event

Bring: an envelope

Outside of envelope write: the longitude and latitude of your cache, Size of cache

Difficulty and terrain (nothing harder than a 2 for both…it is for fun)

Inside of envelope: provide a clue. Clue is to be sealed and used only if needed

When hiding your cache it should be within an 8 mile radius of Davis park and please try to think "one hour" meaning aim to create the hunt time to be about an hour. This includes travel time, any walking time and searching time.

At 10:30 envelopes will be drawn. Whatever you find is yours to keep.

Afterwards meet back at Davis Park for a potluck picnic by noon.

quote:
Originally posted by Pizzimenti-Scott Family:

When hiding your cache it should be within an 8 mile radius of Davis park and please try to think "one hour" meaning aim to create the hunt time to be about an hour. This includes travel time, any walking time and searching time.

8 miles is a pretty big zone, especially if you want to try to stick to a one-hour time limit. The miles per the GPSr will be as the crow flies, which could end up being a substantially longer drive, walk, etc.

We could possibly attend an event on March 1, but I am not positive on that. I guess it would depend on what plans were finalized as far as times and other stuff.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

Anybody know anybody, that might want a 2 month old Etrex Venture with cables and manuals. I'm upgrading to another unit and mine is available. icon_eek.gif >>>> $100 <<<< icon_eek.gif firm, cash price. You can email me from my profile page.

Whatcha gettin'? Personally, I've got my eye set on the Garmin RINO 120 which I've found as cheap as $209 online. I love having my GMRS/FRS radio, but I think it'd be a lot more handy to have it as a combined unit with my GPSr. Plus, I'm hoping my brother will get one, and then we can instantly transmit our coordinates on the FRS band and see it update on the GPSr map display.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:
Originally posted by Pizzimenti-Scott Family:

*snip*

Also, I have made mention in the past of planing a caching picnic, and yes, we would still like to put it together, but here's the thing: The best weekend for us is either March 1 or 2...and I see that there are plans in the works for the Olive Garden...is anyone still up for a caching picnic that weekend too? Or should we toss it in the can? Here's the plans that we were thinking:

Geocaching Event - Picnic

Saturday or Sunday March 1st or 2nd

Meet in Davis Park under the large covered picnic area

10:30 a.m.

*snip*

This sounds like a lot of fun, except this weekend's weather could be anywhere from just cloudy to raining. Not that it would stop me from GeoCaching, but I wouldn't bring the kids on a picnic if the weather was bad... but who knows. How covered are the tables (if it was a really raining, would it keep us dry)?

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

We had alot of fun caching in Turlock yesterday!

We were 17/17. Yahoo!

The trickiest one was The Classroom Building. Then there was Ace O Sob.....Ewwwwwwww

Dead End & Zachary's Do not Move without Permit was fun, but we didn't get to meet the neighbors...

Loved the Yep Again II.....

And we even got a baby!

Arrowhead is on the list - but we didn't get to spend time looking there - it was getting too dark - so......we'll be back for that and a few others.

Thanks for the caches!

Cathyicon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Catmit:

We had alot of fun caching in Turlock yesterday!

We were 17/17. Cathyicon_smile.gif

Someone's got the fever!! Yet another CVC female who rarely gets the ol' DNF!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

There are too many new caches around here to keep up with. My front page only had one for months, but now there are five or six. Guess that means I need to get myself busy caching, huh?

Have a good day all.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

After visiting with the Sacramento people last weekend, I thought it might be fun to do a joint event with them. I posted the following note on their website and their forum as well:

I submitted this to the RCGDS site but also wanted to post here in case someone missed it.

Just wanted to let you know that I would like to put together a joint event with the CVC and Sacramento groups. McIrish and I have shared some brief emails about this, but nothing has been really planned yet.

I was thinking of doing something in mid-April possibly and holding it at a halfway point...maybe Lodi..?

My ideas include some team events pitting the CVC against the RCGDS and also some individual games as well.

If anyone has any input or would like to help with the planning/execution of this, please email me!

Have a good day all!

Jaimee

....nope, but FTC...First To Congratulate....Catmit on her upcoming 100th cache find!

At 98 as of 10 a.m. on Tuesday the 11th, I suspect #99 and #100 can't be too far away !

Amazing that Catmit, and some of the other newcomers can rack up such substantial numbers in a two month period. Makes the 500 mark in six months a definite possibility unless gasoline goes to $5 a gallon!

Congrats, Catmit !

Ron

Anyone up for some Valentine trivia?? Be the first to submit the correct answers to the following questions and you will get a Valentine Day treat! Send your answers to me in email, and I will post who wins here.

READY...SET....GO!

1. Who brought the first cultivated roses to North America?

2. What happened on February 14, 1929?

3. According to Greek mythology, who gave the rose its name?

4. The Romans had three different words for kissing. If you were kissing your lover, which word would you use? (This one might be tough!)

5. Which flower (include color) signifies jealousy or a decrease of love?

6. How do you say "I love you" in Navajo?

7. Which Italian city receives approximately 1000 letters addressed to Juliet each Valentine Day?

8. Which state produces approximately 60% of American roses?

9. Which of the following couples were NOT married on February 14?

a. Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee

b. Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid

c. George and Martha Washington

10. In 1866, NECCO began producing candy hearts. What was the name for the candy at THAT time?

Have fun!!

Jaimee

quote:

Anybody know anybody, that might want a 2 month old Etrex Venture with cables and manuals. I'm upgrading to another unit and mine is available. icon_eek.gif >>>> $100 <<<< icon_eek.gif firm, cash price. You can email me from my profile page.

Do you still have it?

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by JaimeeG:

After visiting with the Sacramento people last weekend, I thought it might be fun to do a joint event with them. I posted the following note on their website and their forum as well:

I submitted this to the RCGDS site but also wanted to post here in case someone missed it.

Just wanted to let you know that I would like to put together a joint event with the CVC and Sacramento groups. McIrish and I have shared some brief emails about this, but nothing has been really planned yet.

I was thinking of doing something in mid-April possibly and holding it at a halfway point...maybe Lodi..?

My ideas include some team events pitting the CVC against the RCGDS and also some individual games as well.

If anyone has any input or would like to help with the planning/execution of this, please email me!

Have a good day all!

Jaimee

Works for me Jamie. I'll be there!

70546_800.gif

Is up! Try and let me know as soon as possible because I do have to make reservations.

and...

Congratulations to:

Georgeandmary on #800

Fizzymagic on #500

Catmit on #100 (err #98, but almost).

Did I miss anyone?

70546_800.gif

I came out to the Central Valley tonight to squeeze in a couple of caches, and got two FTFs on caches that I was certain would have already been found.

Are there just so many new caches appearing that nobody can grab all of them, or are you folks becoming slackers? icon_wink.gif

By the way, both caches were very well done:

This one's for you Dad

and

Crawdaddy's Second Home.

P.S. Thanks to everyone for the supportive congrats on my reaching 500. I never thought I would do so many!

quote:

Do you still have it?

Yes, currently I have a friend at work, interested .... maybe.

I was hoping to grab those last two today, but no timeicon_frown.gif

You know Ron; it's a matter of time before I start driving out your way........get the list ready!

Thanks for all the congrats - you people have made me feel very welcome and I do appreciate iticon_smile.gif

I did hide one of the babies today in Campbell - I named it G&M Jr. eats Prunes. Sure hope it gets approvedicon_smile.gif

Cathy

There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are the doors.

Too busy these days but I do want to congratulate those centuries...

quote:

Georgeandmary on #800

Fizzymagic on #500

Catmit on #100 (err #98, but almost).

I think it's sick that a newbie is in the mix. Partly because it took me so much longer and the other part because I'd like to be that sick myself.

It was great to meet another pair of new cachers today. Amateur Radio operators too. Good combo!

Bill of Green Achers