Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

I am in Salida, and tried to find the two here, the Exit Exit and the Y.S.Y.L. I also tried the Resting Bear in Modesto after work.

I guess I am not really sure what I am looking for or whether or not I need to be a bit more nosey when poking around.

Don't think I won't be out there looking again tomorrow though! There are so many around here I am just amazed! I am looking forward to running into fellow cachers along the way.

Nice to meet you... if you have any tips for finding the ones I have already tried on my first go, please let me know!

-Sandy

quote:
Originally posted by Partytown:

I am in Salida, and tried to find the two here, the Exit Exit and the Y.S.Y.L. I also tried the Resting Bear in Modesto after work.

I guess I am not really sure what I am looking for or whether or not I need to be a bit more nosey when poking around.

Don't think I won't be out there looking again tomorrow though! There are so many around here I am just amazed! I am looking forward to running into fellow cachers along the way.

Nice to meet you... if you have any tips for finding the ones I have already tried on my first go, please let me know!

-Sandy

I take it you work all day on Friday?

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:

-Sandy

Don't be discouraged. Until you've found 3-4 caches and know the "style" in which folks hide them, they aren't what I'd call intuitive. I logged Exit, Exit DNF last week, but haven't been back out to search in the daylight. Same is true with Y.S.Y.L., but when I did return in the daylight I happened to squat down in just the right spot to see it (and micros can be difficult to find when they're all black and.. well, I don't want to give it away).

I suggest trying "Under the Sea," which is downtown. Try it before or after business hours, unless you don't mind folks wondering what you're doing. The hint is really needed, IMHO. Also, 'caching in pairs or more is fun, and makes it easier, depending on how you hunt (for me, it's just more pairs of eyes, although I know other cachers like to hunt one at a time when in groups, or once they find it they'll sneakily sign the log and put it back not telling the others).

Hmm, my own cache has been rated "easy" as well: "Jacob Maybe." Like I said, once you've seen a few, and have an idea of the clever sneaky nature in which folks hide them, it gets somewhat easier (and I'm still a newbie by any means, but even the most seasoned like Ron and GeorgeandMary log DNFs.)

Just to give a few clues, "micros" are often hidden in camo or black painted altoid tins, and often in plastic 35mm film cans. If there is metal nearby, you can often find them attached somewhere hidden with a magnet or two that have been glued to the container.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:

No I only work til around 3:30. Depends on how much work I have, I can sometimes leave early.

Sandy

Oh well. Id like to cache from about 9 am till 3ish.

70546_800.gif

Well I had a very successful lunch!!! Luckily the boss didn't notice how long I was gone. Found the Scenic Surprise.

And I agree it is much more fun to go caching with someone else. My hubby was along with me and he actually narrowed down the area and I found the cache. I was SO excited!!!!! I can hardly wait to get off work here in an hour and go back out!

I have been printing up a bunch of them, there are 42 in the 5 mile radius of my work which is at McHenry and Rumble. Okay, time to look for some more caches to print up and hunt!

Thanks a bunch for the guidance and encouragement!

-Sandy

quote:

Well I had a very successful lunch!!! Luckily the boss didn't notice how long I was gone. Found the Scenic Surprise.

And I agree it is much more fun to go caching with someone else. My hubby was along with me and he actually narrowed down the area and I found the cache. I was SO excited!!!!! I can hardly wait to get off work here in an hour and go back out!

I have been printing up a bunch of them, there are 42 in the 5 mile radius of my work which is at McHenry and Rumble. Okay, time to look for some more caches to print up and hunt!

Thanks a bunch for the guidance and encouragement!

-Sandy

That would be an interesting one to find first. I had an interesting experience with that one.

70546_800.gif

Hello all

I still have not had my latest virtuals approved, and I have now been corresponding with another approver. This person has been very kind and generous with suggestions. Here is a portion of what the approver says about virtuals:

"As I mentioned, we are tightening down the requirements for virtual caches. The problem is that we keep getting more and more virtuals,

primarily because they require little or no maintenance. People have started trying to make each and every sign, statue and plaque into a

virtual cache. However, the main thing that almost all of these submissions lacks is a hunt, and this is something that we feel is critical to the spirit of geocaching. The virtuals that you have submitted, while arguably interesting

locations, do not involve a hunt. They are instead waypoint submissions, with logging verification requirements attached. I would

recommend trying to add a hunt to them."

So, I am reading that as unless you use a virtual as a portion of a traditional cache or a multicache, they will definitely be questioned and most likely not approved. Apparently, it makes no difference if a lot of cachers like virtuals. My virtuals get more visitors than my traditionals, by far! I am curious about the status of locationless as well now..I wonder if they are still approving them??

Anyway, just wanted to share some of that info for those who might be planning some virtuals. Might wanna save your time. I am going to stop placing caches around here altogether. I don't have the time to deal with defending my cache submissions each and every time.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Too bad closed minds didn't come with closed mouths.

....and other caching views...

I don't think getting around virtual approvals demands all that much. Seems like they don't want the coords to take you to one of the thousands of historical markers where you then just have to answer some questions about the plaque.

In my Far From The Mississippi cache, the coords take you to a statue then you have to go looking for the answers to some questions. There is a historical marker nearby, but I decided to make the questions relate to something completely different...and not that difficult to find. Still, it is a virtual and makes you hunt around a bit.

I've been to a number of virtuals like this and my guess is these get approved without too much trouble....after all, a hunt (beyond the coords) is involved.

In my Meet Larrycache, the coords take you to a place, but then you definitely have to look around for some answers.

The same is true for my Only On Sunday cache which has only been *found* by two people I think.

As far as not placing virtuals *around here*....I think you said, does that mean you think they might get more approval if they were in say Texas or New Hampshire?

I have asked several approvers to give me an idea of how the cache descriptions now get to them. Three separate approvers are looking at one of my caches, and one of them has looked at it four times. Despite my efforts at explaining that it is safe (an abandoned railroad line)...it is still hung up...no train is going to run on what is left of the line....a bed of ballast...no ties, no rails! (of course it could be something else is holding it up too).

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

When I submitted "Don't Play On The Tracks", I got questioned on the railroad issue too. I emailed an image of the area to the approver along with some explaination. He approved in less than an hours of my response. A picture speaks a thousand words.... errr helps for sure.

I've now made it a habit to take images of my cache locations, for my own records, for defense of questions regarding locations, and of course for potential clues.

If I'm not back soon.... just wait longer.

I said I was going to stop placing caches around here, virtual or otherwise. As the game grows, there are going to be more and more rules placed, and I understand that part. I guess I am still just on my kick about what really makes a cache a cache. None of my virtuals are now or ever have been of the type that you just drive by and nab an answer. I don't make virtuals just to add to my placed caches list.

Anyway, nuff of my rambling on this tired ol' topic! icon_rolleyes.gif

Jaimee

....are good !

I've been taking pics to send to people for clues (or to remind myself) of where a cache is, but now they would come in handy for cache approval too.

Does this concept look familiar?

Generating more caches to find!

It's like any other *invention*....across the country and the world, people come up with the same ideas.

Ron

...some virtuals are drive-ups, just the way some micros are drive-ups. But then, some physical, quart-sized *real* caches are walk-ups too.

What's that saying...you can make some of the people happy all of the time and all of the people happy some of the time, but you can't make all of the people happy all of the time...

Guess we just have to settle for some of the time.

...central valley cacher.....

Got this response from a cache approver shedding a little light on recent difficulties getting some caches approved....

The thing that is killing us

right now is lame narrative on Virtuals which causes us to generate mail inquiring what the heck is so special. Plus Locationless Geocaches of street signs. Plus railroad tracks. More and more our mapping software is indicating tracks, as well as on Topozone. Then we get responses back saying the tracks were removed 10 years ago and now it is a popular bicycle

trail. Go figure.

Considering that the maps I use sometimes show cemetaries on the completely opposite side of the road (and hundreds of feet away) it's no wonder the tracks on abandoned railways still show on the maps. I remember reading somewhere that even the most current computer map programs are using data that is 10 or more years old.

With all the modern subdivisions going in, it's quite obvious that it would be impossible for map-makers to keep up with new roads, etc.

Ron

I would love to know a true definition of "lame" when it comes to virtuals. It seems there is a bit of a double standard going on. If the approvers place a virtual, no matter how hokey it sounds, that's all good.

My new motto in this game is now "Only a seeker be!" icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Hey folks, I took a friend on several caches up here in the Mother Lode...he's hooked now...got his Etrex Venture off Ebay just a few days after bringing him along! Anyhow, he has a hard time getting around...but would like to find some regular caches rather than the micros/virtuals he has found so far. He can walk with a cane, but not for large distances or in rough terrain. I have told him about a few appropriate caches up here ("Acorn 28" and "Take A Hike"). Was just wondering if you folks had any others in mind that might be appropriate. Thanks.

[This message was edited by SpecialDelivery on February 05, 2003 at 07:36 PM.]

....no flak jackets needed in Stockton. Our rep for violence isn't really any worse than anywhere else (IMHO).

There certainly are sections of town (and any town) where it might not be a good idea to be driving around at 3 a.m. AND none of the caches are anywhere near there anyway!

I'm sure your lists are current, but I have pulled my Pythagorous, Diogenes and Century Plant caches for awhile, so don't go for them with any old coords you might have.

We have a few here (most mine...the rest Mike & Connie's pretty much) and there is a smattering of caches by some other folks too. Fallen's great UNKnown cache is here.

I saw the other day that Hotfoot had a few DNFs in the area...might be good to check those out. One was mine, one was Fallen's and one was from the bay area....forgot who placed it.

Have fun where ever you guys end up.

Ron

...probably everywhere around here.

I hit this one by Fattuhr and then placed a new cache called The Kiln and another called Katie, Bar The Door! before I went on to this one by George.

The Kiln was a 10 mile round-trip, but well worth it and finding a couple was fun too. I also took a peek at this one by Bill

Spring can't be far away now .... it's even staying light later.

I thought I would mention that "Exit, Exit" has been relocated from it's "stinky" location. It's been at the new coords. since Jan 30th. Bill, Ron, and Scott had logged finds before the move, George a DNF and a couple folks left notes.

You're all welcome to hunt and log this one again, it's still awaiting a second FTF.

Well still getting used to the hunt and how to really locate these caches. Went out again yesterday near dusk tried the "Green one returns" got some good excercise on that one, but was more confused than ever. I guess I need a better hint for the 1 cause from where I was I didn't see any way of well... anyway that one might be for more experienced cachers I guess.

I also tried what was deemed as easy, but no luck on "Under the Sea" and "Pirate" or "Mickey's" I even tried "Man bites dog" and thought I was really close, but was unsure how many "coins" I needed to sacrifice at that locale.

I don't really know what it is I am not doing right, I did find 2 by getting right on the coordinates, but feel like I must not be doing something right. Will keep trying, and granted it was dark when we hit some of these places, but even with car lights and a tempermental flashlight,left without being able to find.

I think I will tag along with the Pizzimenti-Scott family on a run to some of these for a little help!

....be accepting of the fact that there will be some you WON'T FIND...at least on the first try.

The caches you went for aren't necessarily the easiest. The fact that others have found them might have something to do with the fact that they are familiar with the hider's technique and way of giving clues.

Caches hidden in ivy are hard (imho) as there are MANY places the cache could be. Sometimes the clues for these are good...sometimes they are not so good...and sometimes we just don't interpret them correctly.

I'm sure you will have "ah-ha" moments on some of these tough caches just as you have had on the easier ones.

After over 600 finds, I still run into caches I can't find, and on a second trip (or a third) I wonder how I could have missed it.

Ron

quote:

Well still getting used to the hunt and how to really locate these caches. Went out again yesterday near dusk tried the "Green one returns" got some good excercise on that one, but was more confused than ever. I guess I need a better hint for the 1 cause from where I was I didn't see any way of well... anyway that one might be for more experienced cachers I guess.

I also tried what was deemed as easy, but no luck on "Under the Sea" and "Pirate" or "Mickey's" I even tried "Man bites dog" and thought I was really close, but was unsure how many "coins" I needed to sacrifice at that locale.

I don't really know what it is I am not doing right, I did find 2 by getting right on the coordinates, but feel like I must not be doing something right. Will keep trying, and granted it was dark when we hit some of these places, but even with car lights and a tempermental flashlight,left without being able to find.

I think I will tag along with the Pizzimenti-Scott family on a run to some of these for a little help!

Hey Partytown! Welcome to Geocaching. Looks like a rough start. You went to Ripon and hunted to most difficult cache in town. Try any of the others. Maybe find a few 1/1 to start off with. icon_wink.gif

Hello to all CVC. Sorry that I've been busy and haven't been able to read and write in the forum. I've got a lot of things going but how to go out hunting at some point this weekend. I've got Fizzy's program working and I'm jumping to get out and use it. (Thanks to Fallen and Fizzy for talking me into getting a PDA - Great advise) icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Hello to all CVC. Sorry that I've been busy and haven't been able to read and write in the forum. I've got a lot of things going but how to go out hunting at some point this weekend. I've got Fizzy's program working and I'm jumping to get out and use it. (Thanks to Fallen and Fizzy for talking me into getting a PDA - Great advise) icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

I have no idea how anyone survives without one! Although I do know of one cacher who has printed out and alphabetized every cache within 30 miles of his house icon_eek.gif

I don't even have that kind of patience.

70546_800.gif

....but CVC cachers will be interested in this I think...also Bay Area and Sac cachers too.

Check out This One. Experienced cachers (those with maybe 100 or more finds) might have a feel for this without even going there.

My post...and then Bykenut's post shed some light on how ideas for caches can pop up anywhere in the world.

Ron

Oh I understand the fun of it is the whole hunt. At first you don't succeed try try again! I am all about that.. but being so new I just wonder with so many attempts if there was something I was missing. But I found myself feeling a little strange poking around landscaping and general loitering in public areas! *laughing*

I have been frustrated at times, but I am pretty darned stubborn! SO I don't give up easily. I went for the one in Ripon cause it was close to me, and I hadn't had the opportunity to really check all that out over there yet.

I apprecaite the encouragement and support, I just wonder if there might be better or different techniques using the GPS to find them?

Thanks again! :-D

Sandy

quote:

I apprecaite the encouragement and support, I just wonder if there might be better or different techniques using the GPS to find them?

Thanks again! :-D

Sandy

Different techniques is one skill you'll learn, but way before that, it's understanding the: Ratings; Cache Size; Location; Clues; Knowing the Stasher... and a host of other things. It surprises non-cachers there's a lot more than entering a coordinate, walking there and bending over to pick up the cache. icon_biggrin.gif With only 100 caches under my belt, I can say I'm starting to realize this.

If the difficulty is above 1 and the cache is below Regular and the Stasher is Fallen, you'll have a project on your hands. icon_razz.gif If the difficulty is above 1 and the cache is above Regular and the Stasher is Ron, you'll have a project on your hands and/or a walk. icon_rolleyes.gif Etc, Etc.

I've seen seasoned cachers walk up to difficult stashes and just about walk straight to the cache (LO, C&MMorris) and I've seen less seasoned cachers brought to their knees (Green Achers at Steeeeerike Three!). icon_biggrin.gif

You'll do fine but before you run (to Fallen's Micro), you need to learn to walk (Little Hawaii... go go gadget cache... Cache Ninja). icon_eek.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Question.. any Hams into doing AMPERS here in the Central Valley area? I am very intrigued with using the GPS with my ham radio in the car. The thought also occurred to me that you could literally have a "mobile" cache that would report coordinates to a website via AMPERS and people would have to track you down.

Anyone have any idea what I am talking about?:-D

Sandy

I know there has been a great to-do about getting virtual caches approved. The approvers seem to be getting very picky about what qualifies as a virtual.

So yesterday I placed a cache at a location I had considered for a virtual a while back. But I didn't make it a virtual; I made it a micro where the location of the micro is an offset from the location I would have used for the virtual, and you have to use the information you get from the location to find the physical cache.

It's not approved yet, but I fully expect it will be with no questions. I also expect Bill to go get it over his lunch hour tomorrow. icon_biggrin.gif

It's called Joaquin's Watering Hole.

I mention it here as an illustration of how easy it can be to turn a virtual location into a physical cache.

Just wanted to do a test here. I changed my user name and wondered if all my old posts would convert to the new name or stay the same. (I know next to nothing about computer stuff, in case you hadn't figured that out already!).

Jaimee

Just a quick note of introduction. I am new to caching as well as the forum. I received a GPS as a christmas gift and learned about Geocaching from my nephew, who doesn't cache yet. First logged onto the site in Dec 02, but really didn't start caching until mid-Jan 03. Having a ball! We've done some family outings and I've grabbed a couple on my own. Look forward to catching up with some of you in the future.

David

Note the following, the only virtual we've placed....

Every Cache Moves

...for those interested, it is in Toronto, Ontario. It is located on the grounds of the Ontario Science Centre. We made it a virtual for three reasons:

The actual location is really cool - since few are likely to read the Western forums and also visit this cache, I give it away. If you look at the picture of the cache site on that page, you'll see what looks like some construction/repair work near a very large rusty iron spike. The whole idea of the monument is to celebrate the life of a person instrumental in the original concepts of the idea of plate tectonics (hence the name of the cache.) The idea is that the spike was placed when he was born, and goes down to the center of the Earth. During this person's lifetime, the North American continent moved this much, and therefore, the spike "broke free" of the guard rails around it... really a clever way to make the movement of the continents 'real' to people. I think this is a really cool exhibit, and especially interesting to cachers.

Trouble is - how do I tell them about it? I can't place a cache on the Science Center grounds - they're private, after all. But I can place a virtual there.

Also - I am not from Toronto - I don't think it's right to place a real cache where I could not maintain it. I also didn't know anyone from the Toronto area to let in on this, so they could make a cache. Also, please pay attention to point (2), above - no way could anyone place a cache there. But it is something really fun to show cachers.

In summary: When you want to show something to cachers that you think is really cool, and most would like, but it is impossible to place a real cache there, for whatever reason, a virtual is about the best way to do that. I don't mind that. If people want to hunt only real ones, that's great. They can still look at these virtuals, and not log them, if that's their preference, too.

Virtuals placed where a cache could be placed - well, that's a different story in my book.

-J

My congrats to Pat for hitting his goal of 365 finds in 365 days! We went out today and found 5, and that put him over his goal, actually.

My one-year caching anniversary is Monday, but I don't think I will be finding enough caches to put me at 365 by then!

Good job Pat!

Jaimee

We've needed something pure on these forums for some time - wasn't expecting *Evil*, but hey, ya take what ya can get! icon_biggrin.gif

Any-who - geocaching is a great activity - it gets us completely away from the day-to-day and let's us meet lots of great folks (read: the other people on these forums) too!

-TeamJiffy

I'm noticing a few DNF / logs on the newly relocated "Exit Exit". I'm very happy that a non-micro (2.5"x2.5"x4") container is bringing so much joy.... errr frustration to so many folks, newbies and veterans alike. icon_eek.gif

I think theres a lesson here for the newer cachers, that you don't need to place micros to generate a good hunt.