Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

.....Your Old Crimea cache shows as a micro at the top of the page (as of 8:30 Sunday night the 26th).

It also seems to ask the cache seeker to answer questions as though it were a virtual.

I think this is the cache referred to in an earlier post in this forum.

Is this a micro or a virtual...or both?

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Anyone have any travel bugs that they would like to send south? We are heading down to Ventura later this week, and I would be happy to drop some bugs off around that area.

I think I will place a cache or two there as well to introduce them to the CVC style. That should be good for a new enemy or two! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Too bad closed minds didn't come with closed mouths.

...fellow cachers is fun !

I was two caches behind Brute today on Hiway 132 and eventually caught up to him. He watched me find his In The Middle cache and we circled each other at The Bell Tower.

I hid one cache today too ! We're starting to run out of hiways, if not hiding places...oh...my cache hide was a micro...newspaper rack anyone?

Ron

When I was down in Ventura last year, my mom and I did some caching. I know I have told this story to some of you already. I visited one cache that was a 4 in difficulty and 1.5 in terrain. We get to the area, and my GPS is pointing straight up this rather steep hill. We decided to give it a go and huffed and puffed our way up the hill. Once reaching the top, I figured it would take some time to find a 4-star cache. I walked around a bush, and here is this big container partially shoved under some leaves. I figured the last finder probably didn't rehide it correctly. When I emailed the cache owner about it, he told me that is exactly where it should have been. I asked about the difficulty ratings maybe being reversed, and I was told it was definitely a tough find. icon_confused.gif I told that guy he most likely doesn't want to come cache up here if that is a "tough find" in Ventura.

One of the really bad things about caching down there in the hill areas is the rampant poison oak. It is alllll over down there. I think that this trip I will stick to caches near the ocean and out of the hills. There are no cemetery caches placed there either!!! icon_eek.gif Let's see how the SoCal people like those.

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

.....Your Old Crimea cache shows as a micro at the top of the page (as of 8:30 Sunday night the 26th).

It also seems to ask the cache seeker to answer questions as though it were a virtual.

I think this is the cache referred to in an earlier post in this forum.

Is this a micro or a virtual...or both?

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

...die hard I guess. I probably was logging other new caches and just selected micro. I changed it to virutal (which is what it actually is). Oh well.

Thanks for the info!

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

Uncleugene and I are heading down to LA (yuck) this weekend also. I will be leaving caches along the way (which should be rather interesting).

I realize people seem to be rather sick of micros (from earlier discussions) so I have been putting together some large® ones for you all. Now, don't think I am going to make them easy or anything. Just making sure you are watching.

About micros... The only time I get tired of them is if there was no thought involved. I realize I have some really easy micros ('Gettin Chili' for one) but I kinda thought I had to balance the difficult ones I have. If anyone cares to let me know that I have placed a really boring cache please let me know. At least that way I can get rid of it to allow someone else to place (maybe) a better one there.

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

I realize I have some really easy micros ('Gettin Chili' for one) but I kinda thought I had to balance the difficult ones I have.

Don't forget about that Pilot Gel Micro... it was easy. icon_eek.gif My eye's are still messed up from it. icon_biggrin.gif So we'll take some more of those easy ones. icon_wink.gif

Speaking of Micros, Easy and Fallen, I was able to get back out to The Green One Returns. That's another ''easy'' micro that only took me two trips. Good job Matt! I have to tell you how the cacher before me got it. Rambo style. icon_eek.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

...and Rambo style.

I've emailed Matt and posted a note on the Green Bridge cache.

I starred as Rambo II....Rambo hasn't logged it yet !

Ron

Matt (and maybe Bill) knows I found the Down Under cache today. My log says that IT is a perfect example of how a micro CAN be placed and be a fun cache to go for.

Bill was kind enough to send me on a personal cache hunt for a travel bug he transferred to my name.

I went for it the other day when an 18 wheeler was right beside it, so I grabbed it today after Down Under and before the Green Bridge cache.

Bill....

I'll treat the container to a paint job and put it out either with or without the bug.

Thanks again.

I've had the best last few days! Yesterday my oldest son Jeff & I met Jaime, Pat & Caitlin of LuvOzzy & Fattuhr; and today with my best pal Donna, I met the Morris Clan! What fun and wonderful people they areicon_smile.gif

Today We found 2 previously posted DNF's (woo hoo) and two newer ones - 4/4! icon_smile.gif

I'm looking forward to meeting more of you......

Cathyicon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tonto.

.I think I will start planting some. Lets litter the planet with micros.We'll have them everywhere.

Kemo sabe say GPS better than bread crumbs.

Let's Not and just say we did!!

Cathy, We sure had a fun time meeting you and Donna today. We are going to have to get together and go do some caching.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

quote:

Bill was kind enough to send me on a personal cache hunt for a travel bug he transferred to my name.

I went for it the other day when an 18 wheeler was right beside it, so I grabbed it today after Down Under and before the Green Bridge cache.

Bill....

I'll treat the container to a paint job and put it out either with or without the bug.

Thanks again.

You can do whatever, but there's always the Cannonball Run. I'm getting my entry ready to mail out right now as I just got a few more tags.

Tonto2002 littering? That would be the day. icon_wink.gif I could guess what the FTF prizes might be though. icon_eek.gif I can truely say, you'll always be number one at something. LOL

Now, back to my dungen so I can figure out how to read Fizzy's program to read out on the &^***( palm pilot. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

....pros and cons.

Here's a thread that has a few takes on the subject of micros both in urban and wooded settings.

Micros ?

Most folks who read this forum know I like a good hike, but I certainly will look for those that are next to the car in a parking lot or just .20 down a trail. Many of those are micros of late.

One advantage of the micro for me is that when I do go for a long hike, they are lighter and smaller to carry for any length of time.

Since many people here are in it for the "thrill of the hunt" a micro works well. I usually will give a good clue (I hope) so that anyone who makes a long hike can at least expect to find the cache....this is a point made by several cachers in the forum note above.

Any more *positive* or *negative* thoughts about micros in our area?

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on January 28, 2003 at 09:10 AM.]

Just put out Liam's cache from georgeandmary's Makin' Babies cache. I think this one will be a little difficult, but we'll have to see what the logs say...

Here it is (when it's approved):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=52215&Nocache=0.7055475

I didn't make this one Subscriber Only, and I'm going to change Zach's later this week. I just wanted to see the audit feature everyone has talked about. Interesting.

Randy

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

I had a conversation with a fellow cacher about caches moving and not being replaced properly. It may not seem like a big deal to many, but when you are hunting for a cache with given coordinates and maybe a certain clue even, your hunt may be made much more difficult (or much easier in some instances) if the cache has been moved from its original placement.

Think about this: Let's say someone places a micro that is pretty tough and rates it a 3-4 in difficulty. Someone comes along and finds it and then moves it an inch to the right of where it was originally placed. No big deal..yet. The next cacher comes along and moves it yet another inch or two, and so on and so on. I am sure you get the picture. If 5 people visit the cache and each moves it, the difficulty rating can increase/decrease and the clue can possibly be made invalid.

I had an idea that might help to keep caches somewhat close to where they were originally placed. Maybe people could set a coin down when they pick up a cache. Then, they can replace the cache pretty much exactly where they found it. Of course, this won't be feasible on some micros that are in odd places, but it would work on lots of other caches. Another option is to just not give a dang where you replace the cache icon_biggrin.gif

Just an idea as I have heard comments lately about caches not being returned to their proper hiding spot and the challenge of the hunt being significantly increased for the next people to venture there!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

....returns.

Fallen...

Do I understand from Brute Force's find note on the Green One that if you have a skinny enough arm you can reach this, but if you don't, you can't!

Guess I'll bring along Twiggy next time !

So it's been in the same spot all along and it's just a matter of how porky your arm is? (or had it moved?)

Wow...a new geocaching oddity.

Ron

What's everyone's thoughs on posting the Olive Garden dinner on the Geocaching Event Calendar? Not that I've ever looked at it until just now (when I was poking around the site looking for more to do while trying to get my son to sleep), but who knows, others might actually use it.

Hmm, now that I'm trying to find out how to adding an event works, it looks like it is done as an "Event Cache," and, doh!, I think that's what already discussed here and wasn't going to happen... What if the event was posted with a description asking folks not to log "Found It's," but just notes instead? Do event caches even allow you to post "Found It's" ?

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

True. His Un-porky arm reached it no problem. My porky err short thick arm could barely get to it. Just enough to touch it and knock it loose. I think that situation has been corrected though. Yep, some folks just have extra caching abilities. Like someone who easily placed a cache up high in a knot hole where this stubby guy could barely get to it.

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot! icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Brute-Force on January 28, 2003 at 10:13 PM.]

Last time I checked, Pat didn't have skinny arms, and he was able to get that cache out without too much difficulty. I did not even try because it's against my better judgement (or something like that) to stick my hands in places such as that! SCARRRYYYYY icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad608:

How many CVC folks are planning to Cannonbal?

As a side thought, if Pheromone collects many (say over 100) bugs without return envelopes, are there enough non-micro caches in the area to help release these bugs back into circulation?

If I'm not back soon.... just wait longer.

I bought a new truck to use as the bug. Maybe I should have bought one with flames on it. I have a bug tag to attach, I just can't find my little lamination sheets to add an extra tag explaining the race. I need to mail it out soon though.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by MrToad608:

How many CVC folks are planning to Cannonbal?

As a side thought, if Pheromone collects many (say over 100) bugs without return envelopes, are there enough non-micro caches in the area to help release these bugs back into circulation?

If I'm not back soon.... just wait longer.

I'm in... but can't win due to possible conflicts. That way no one will feel cheated. icon_wink.gif I'll still have fun regardless.

The only thing we really need badly now is a web site that will track the progress. I do think that would be easy, but I don't have the time (to read a how to plus doing the work). Any volunteers would be well recongized. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

I read this following post on The Resting Bear's cache page! A very serious cacher! It gave me a chuckle or twoicon_smile.gif Cathy

User comments:

I looked around a while but couldn't see it. However, I only had the coordinates with me and not the discription. My GPS receiver took me right to the porch of the house next door. I rang the doorbell to ask if I could look around, just in case it was the house of a cacher. Fortunately no was home. I didn't see the small park area at first.

....Like Mike, I couldn't get my arm through a tight space that looked likely, and when I went over the rail to look around some more I didn't bend in the direction where I originally suspected the cache to be. Going back in soon and hopefully it will be easier to reach as I don't want to go over the top again...at least not without a linemans safety belt!

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

I couldnt get my forarm past the opening to reach for the cache. I tried a few different ways and the only one that worked was a quick jump over the railing.

I thought it was fun for a micro.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

The only thing wrong with the Green One is the terrain rating can depend on how you go for it. Otherwise it's fine and a lot of fun. I hope it doesn't change.

Jumping the razor wire at a Bridge too far gave me far more second thoughts than this cache.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Jumping the razor wire at a Bridge too far gave me far more second thoughts than this cache.

george

Why would anyone jump that razor wire at A Bridge Too Far?? The cache page says specifically that there are other ways in. Maybe folks just wanna do it the he-man way icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Hey all

I had some questions about our Olive Garden plans, and I just phoned them. They only take reservations two weeks in advance, so my plans of making the reservation around 02/15 are still fine.

There is one problem though: They will only make a reservation for a group of 25. I asked if they would split tickets for a group of that size, and she said she didn't think it would be a problem but she wasn't sure and there wasn't anyone else there she could ask. That concerns me because I don't want to deal with the headache of one check and figuring out who owes what.

I have 22 people on my list now and quite a few others who are supposed to let me know by February 15.

Because I don't want to tell anyone that they can't come, I will make a reservation for 25 and then anyone extra will have to make their own reservation and just request to be seated near the big group. OR, we can find another place to do it that can accomodate everyone under one reservation.

Jaimee

quote:

....returns.

Fallen...

Do I understand from Brute Force's find note on the Green One that if you have a skinny enough arm you can reach this, but if you don't, you can't!

Guess I'll bring along Twiggy next time !

So it's been in the same spot all along and it's just a matter of how porky your arm is? (or had it moved?)

Wow...a new geocaching oddity.

Ron

That's it exactly. I went out there yesterday and met Brute Force at the site. At the moment I decided to make it an easier cache but after thinking about it... I'm moving it back. I will up the terrain raiting and give people with larger shorter arms fair warning.

Anyway...

70546_800.gif

I know there are many caches by a particular cacher which are biased on height. Being shorter than this particular cacher sometimes is a problem, but I can usually find a way to get the cache. Last I checked we didn’t have to make caches handicapped accessible.

70546_800.gif

...You're right about that. Nothing says you have to make caches handicapped accessible and nothing says that a person has to go after a cache if they feel it is dangerous or beyond their capabilities.

As I indicated in an email to you, I had qualms about going over the rail, but I did it anyway and I was willing to accept whatever happened in that regard.

My concern (for my caches) is that someone MIGHT feel they were capable, might try something they shouldn't and MIGHT end up regretting it.

Your implication that someone might be HANDICAPPED by not having arms thin enough or bendable enough to reach you cache is fine if taken in the sense that we all suffer from one handicap or another.

Because George is taller he certainly might place a cache slightly out of reach of some shorter cachers, but that is a little different I think than placing a cache where someone (at their own discretion) might go *out on a limb* and suffer a fall to rocks below.

Actually, given that each person can decide to look or not look for a cache, my truer concern is with how a cache can be placed one way and then end up being placed another way when only a half-dozen cachers had found it.

This topic has been beaten to death here, but in this case it takes on significance in several ways.

The cache seems to have magically moved from just a couple of inches in to 10 or so inches in. This is IF what everyone is telling me is true. Perhaps that is the difference between a 2.5 and a 3 difficulty rating, but some of the earlier cachers found it at 2 inches and then suddenly it was in further.

Perhaps someone smarter than I am can figure it out. Frankly, I'm befuddled...and happy to have grabbed it at 11 this morning...BEFORE it goes deep again...whatever deep is.

As I said on my post for the Green One, at least Fallen's Down Under more than likely won't experience this type of "moving rock" syndrome as the Green One did.

In regard to George's post that the razor wire didn't pose any problem at my Bridge Too Far cache, this is also comparing apples to oranges as a 12 foot wide trail awaited anyone willing to walk about 2500 feet to the cache. Those who drove right up to the bridge entry saw the razor wire and went UNDER regular cyclone fence to get to the area. This seems...again....like comparing apples and oranges as NO ONE...as far as I know was stupid enough to go OVER the razor wire. But then again, you never know.

Ron

....in regard to your post of 8:07 pm. I was happy to experience the cache as Fizzy and LO and Pat did when they found it, AND I experienced it as Mike Morris did when he went over the top....seems to me I had the best of both worlds.

AND, I still admire your Down Under cache !

On a final note, I'm glad you had the *joy* of finding my Bridge Too Far #4 cache...the joy that came from the clue *clicking* at the last minute, just before you were ready to give up.

Ron

quote:

In regard to George's post that the razor wire didn't pose any problem at my Bridge Too Far cache, this is also comparing apples to oranges as a 12 foot wide trail awaited anyone willing to walk about 2500 feet to the cache. Those who drove right up to the bridge entry saw the razor wire and went UNDER regular cyclone fence to get to the area. This seems...again....like comparing apples and oranges as NO ONE...as far as I know was stupid enough to go OVER the razor wire. But then again, you never know.

Ron

I guess this makes me stupid. I did go under the fence on the wrong side because the coordinates were so bad but after reading the clue and dermining the correct side of the bridge, going under was not an option. Now there may have been a 'easy' entrance 1/2 a mile a way but the placement of the cache did not lend itself to that entry. There are ligitimatly multiple ways to get to the cache, just as there are multiple ways to get to the green one. We each choose which way we want to approach the cache and take the risks accordingly.

The green one lends itself to jumping the rail and a bridge to far lends itself to jumping the fence. It may not be the safest way to approach each cache but it is the most obvious.

I keep hearing how the green one was somehow moved for its orginal position. But from talking to Matt, when he checked on it, it is where he intended it to be.

george

39570_500.jpg

....hopefully for all concerned, my final words on that subject.

I just talked (not via email for the first time) to one of the people who was an early finder of this cache and who shall remain anonymous.

It seems the place I found the cache this morning under Fallen's new placement WAS NOT where it was originally placed. The new placement (soon to be changed to the old placement) was vertically improved and accounts for some of the misunderstanding as to where the original placement was.

This casts a new light on some of the info regarding this cache. My other concerns (again for MY caches) is that someone might attempt more than they are capable of and both they and I might regret it should some harm come to them...but then that is their decision. It is my decision not to place a cache in a manner that might be misinterpreted and that might lead to problems.

Anyway, everyone who found Green One, go for Down Under...a whole new set of fun.

Ron

....can you HONESTLY tell me that you climbed an 8 foot cyclone fence topped with circular razor wire, went through the razor wire and down the other side?

If so, there would be several words which could describe that feat.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on January 29, 2003 at 09:03 PM.]

quote:

....can you HONESTLY tell me that you climbed an 8 foot cyclone fence topped with circular razaor wire, went through the razor wire and down the other side?

If so, there would be several words which could describe that feat.

Ron

Yes I did, and I didn't complain, and I'm not complaining. And I know others, who shall remain nameless, who also jumped it.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

...You're right about that. Nothing says you have to make caches handicapped accessible and nothing says that a person has to go after a cache if they feel it is dangerous or beyond their capabilities.

As I indicated in an email to you, I had qualms about going over the rail, but I did it anyway and I was willing to accept whatever happened in that regard.

My concern (for my caches) is that someone MIGHT feel they were capable, might try something they shouldn't and MIGHT end up regretting it.

Your implication that someone might be HANDICAPPED by not having arms thin enough or bendable enough to reach you cache is fine if taken in the sense that we all suffer from one handicap or another.

Because George is taller he certainly might place a cache slightly out of reach of some shorter cachers, but that is a little different I think than placing a cache where someone (at their own discretion) might go *out on a limb* and suffer a fall to rocks below.

That is exactly what I meant. Sometimes a cache is placed by someone who had no problems placing it, but some finders might "need something extra" in order to get the cache. I know I have a few like this, and I do know a piece of equipment which would allow someone with a HUGE arm to grab The Green One without putting themself in danger.

We continue to rotate,

70546_800.gif

....We all (the whole valley group) meet at A Bridge Too Far where you will go over and through the razor wire at the top of the fence using what you had with you when you originally did it.

Then we will all go down to the green bridge and I will go over the rail.

Ron

...yes, I know the equipment you are talking about. I used it on one of George's caches and I brought it with me this morning to the Green One. However I did not need it as I was easily able to touch it this time. I have always been under the impression it was deeper in horizontally and at the same vertical plane that I found it this morning. This is why I said that new information which only 30 minutes ago came to light shed NEW LIGHT on what I felt about this cache and its placement.

The fact is...as I reiterate for the umpteenth time over the last 2 years that an individual places a cache and sees it from his/her perspective. I do the same thing. It is very difficult to say how ANOTHER cacher will see it.

I'm sure I acquired your Down Under cache differently than you placed it, and the others who found it probably did it in two separate ways also. On that one you gave a very good statement about what DIDN'T have to be done to get it. I thought that was very good of you as there is potential for problems there.

Anyway, once George goes over the razor wire and I go over the rail, maybe we can lay the whole thing to rest...with George bleeding from multiple cuts and me with a few broken bones ! icon_wink.gif

quote:

....We all (the whole valley group) meet at A Bridge Too Far where you will go over and through the razor wire at the top of the fence using what you had with you when you originally did it.

Then we will all go down to the green bridge and I will go over the rail.

Ron

Screw you Ron. I don't appreciate being called a lier. I jumped the fence. Why don't you go down there a check the log yourself, I signed it.

This is the exact quote from my online log,

"I would have never found it with Ron's Coords, Jamiee saved me. I went comando style and found the cache.

george"

What exactly do you think I meant by comando style?

Now that Matt has made the Green One easy enough for you to find, he's put it back so everyone else will find it as it was intended.

george

39570_500.jpg