Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

As for Gas and snacks, Ya, I think we can do that. A nude waitress,OH YA!!! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Ron, as long as it's a War movie or a Western then the discount is yours. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hummm. Nude Waitress, I definitly want to drive that Jeep. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Speaking of Jeeps has anyone heard from Kurt? He hasent been on the forums latly.

Now that Kevin is a father again I thought he was going to start caching again.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

Who said anything about "nude waitresses"???? You all are just wayyyyyy too perverted! I was speaking solely of enjoying nature as it was meant to be enjoyed, without the interference of clothing to distract from your surroundings. Sheesh! icon_biggrin.gif Figures Ron would want a hood ornament..that is something you usually see on the cars of "older" people icon_razz.gif

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

I just started a new buisness, It's called MIKE'S 4 WHEEL DRIVE TOUR.

$25.00 for The Red Hills tour. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mike

I'll make sure to hide one or two more that will require more than a jeep to get to. I'll be headed to Red Hills saturday and maybe back over to the grotto area again.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Good. Plant some more over there. I'll be over at the Grotto on Sunday weather permitting. Hopefully, others can make that date too. I'll let those that want to go(Pat - Matt) know for sure by Saturday. Others?

PS: For those that knew and sent me e-mails of support, I thank you and she's doing just fine.

For those that didn't, my youngest had to have some surgery yesterday. And, she's fine. Just won't be able to tag along on any cache hunts for a while.

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

LO...look at the old hood ornaments on some cars (of young AND old owners!) and you might see a figure of a winged woman (partially clothed) with hair blowing in the wind. I think that was a carry over from the old ships' figureheads of the same type.

My thinking is that when the ships were moving toward each other in combat, the idea was to get the enemies's eyes on that figurehead so they wouldn't see you coming over the side of the ship with cutlasses waving ! I know it would distract me !

Now the image of a real live hood ornament bouncing up the trails is a bit TOO much even for the *dirtiest* of old men. icon_wink.gif

Rich...glad to hear everything is Ok with your daughter...she'll be out looking for caches soon. icon_smile.gif

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Hey Brute. Glad your daughter did well and I hope she'll recover quickly.

_________

Vegas was made for night caching! There are so many caches here that require not being watched that it's actually quicker and easier at night. I'm thinking about hunting Schugobble Cache tonight if that's possible. It's a very interesting cache story and too me about an hour to figure out the real location. Now armed, I can hardly stand it! icon_biggrin.gif It would have made a great century find icon_rolleyes.gif

Hope someone picks up Tag soon. I'm sorry now that I put it in such an easy place but wondering why Cacher J hasn't stepped in yet! icon_razz.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"I'm Not Sure I Understand Everything I Know About This."

Posted earlier but not under this topic...I'll figure it out soon.

We're not officially Central Valley people, but it seems like all the caches in our backyard have been planted by the crew here. So I thought I'd pop in and say HI. We live in Angels Camp, which seems to be a popular destination. Can we play too?

Arlene

Someone say it ain't so! Anyone? No? Ok then, I will. IT AIN'T SO! At least not as of today. I've been looking for a cache planting spot there for months now. Found one this morning. Also, no missing caches in Santa Nella. I checked on both and they are fine. And while I was doing that, I dropped off another one.

Also, the comment about dropping off a cache where the jeep can't get to it. I almost hate to ask, but just how much is the helicopter tour going to run us??? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by rob/arlene:

We're not officially Central Valley people, but it seems like all the caches in our backyard have been planted by the crew here. So I thought I'd pop in and say HI. We live in Angels Camp, which seems to be a popular destination. Can we play too?

Arlene

Welcome Arlene and Rob!

----------

Looks like I'll be released tomorrow and home for dinner. I'm tired. Too much night caching (without any flash light). Of course, with all these Vegas lights... it's not like CVC Night Caching. icon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_razz.gif

Bill of Green Achers

[This message was edited by Green Achers on January 17, 2003 at 02:24 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by rob/arlene:

We're not officially Central Valley people, but it seems like all the caches in our backyard have been planted by the crew here.

Arlene

Looking forward to you changing that situation. I'm sure locals know more interesting spots than us flatlanders.

george

39570_500.jpg

Well If I cant get to it by my Jeep then make sure it's on a nice clear hill top so I can land a Helicopter on it. icon_biggrin.gif I dont care much for walking up hills on long hikes. icon_razz.gif

Brute, your first flight is free icon_cool.gif

Welcome Angels Camp crew. All that land up there is an extinsion of the CVC. We love it up there.

Mike

Welcome Rob and Arlene. I hope you enjoy the caching scene as much as I do.

Speaking of Angel's Camp, I think I am gonna pop up there today and check on Whiteout. There is a cache out near Escalon placed EXACTLY like Whiteout, so if you find that one, you might have a better idea of what to look for.

There seems to be lots of new cachers popping up around here. We have a few new folks in Ceres even..not sure if they live here, but I do know they work here.

DINNER PLANS: Are Bill and Ron the only two interested in an Olive Garden get-together? What about all you other party hounds?? icon_wink.gif

Have a good Friday everyone. I will post an update on Whiteout later (if I get up there today).

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

I've been busily improving my Palmable geocaching application. You guys might like some of the new features.

Some of my new capabilities are:

• Sorts by ID (oldest to newest), reverse ID (newest to oldest), and cache name

• Has a quick-view summary of recent log types, similar to Watcher's. For example, if the last 2 logs are DNFs, but the previous 3 were Finds, it will show --+++.

• Ignore list of caches you don't want to do. For example, I placed Double Trouble as Venona, so it shows up in my query, but I want to ignore it.

• Coordinate correction. Allows you to keep a list of caches with corrected coordinates. There are several reasons to use this feature: solved puzzle caches you haven't done yet (e.g. Margarita's Coding cache for me), moving caches (e.g. CVC Tag!!), partially-finished multicaches, or caches where people have posted corrected coordinates but the cache coordinates haven't been changed by the owner.

• Encrypted and decrypted hints. The encrypted hint is on the cache page, and decrypted hints are links.

As I said before, Perl is no longer required. AvantGo doesn't seem to work, but Plucker is a far better (and smaller!) application anyway. The program and instructions are here.

[This message was edited by fizzymagic on January 17, 2003 at 12:11 PM.]

I like all the new .gpx wares that are coming from all directions. The watcher is interesting, I really like the spinner's abilites to quickly change the waypoint ID's and anything that let's you get away from mobi pocket is great (ala fizzy, and spinner)

I remember tying Plucker months ago and for some reason I couldn't get it to work. I don't remeber exactly what it was, I just remember giving up. There wasn't a lot of incentive for me to pick it up at the time since Avantgo was working fine, and still is. Now I think I'll go back and give it a second look.

The sad fact is that I've been so busy working that I've spent more time playing with geocaching software than actually geocacing.

Off to Red Hills tomorrow.

george

39570_500.jpg

Well, we rode up to Angels Camp and checked on Whiteout. It is perfect..just waiting to be found! What a beautiful day in the foothills..nice and sunny and NO FOG!

I placed a new cache at the cemetery across the street from whiteout, and it is easy. Once found, that will be a bit of a help for Whiteout I think because you will know what you are looking for.

Also, Brute, Yep...Again is still there!

Jaimee

Okay all..which date is better for everyone; February 15th or March 1. Those are both Saturdays. Either day is cool for us, so I will go with the majority here. I want to find a day that the most people can attend, and then I will do a page and make a reservation.

Mary..that artichoke dip is soooo good at Olive Garden! I always end up getting full before I ever get my meal though.

So, let me know what's best for you all, k?

Thanks!

Jaimee

The Sharks went south to Stockton again today.

We had a very nice time.

I had a couple T.B.s to drop off and had a hard time finding a cache container large enough for one of them.

You people sure like small caches! Maybe I need to go farther south next time. icon_wink.gif

Wasn't sunny today like the last time we were there.

I'll post our finds tomorrow morning.

Once again... thank you C.V. Cachers for a fun day. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Alan

Next time, try Pheromone. It's not just an influence, it a hormone! icon_eek.gif and unless your travel bug is properly named Basket Ball, it will fit. icon_biggrin.gif

It was funny to find a small swarm of cachers around Pheromone today... maybe it works on more that just T-Bugs. Fizzy, Mr.Toad, The Retrievers and all the families... it reminded me of Oak Say Can You See (which is out of service due to SPOILER).

The CVC Tag cache arrived and was placed and not found. I sure hope someone finds it tomorrow - in the day light. It's in a area that shouldn't be hunted at night... could be dangerous! Lucky the farmer's been warned. icon_rolleyes.gif

I understand the coordinates to be N37*44.098 W121*09.985. Fizzy will need to verify. I'll look in the light tomorrow and place it with Pheromon if I find it! icon_wink.gif Otherwise, Cacher K can have at it.

Bill of Green Achers

First of all, I wanted to be Cacher K. Oh, well.

Wow! I am surprised that CVC Tag!!! wasn't found. OK, not all that surprised, seeing as how it took me two tries. I'm going to go stick a clue on into my log right now!

It was very fun to run into other cachers today. I really enjoyed meeting Mr. Toad and the Retreevers. As usual, they are very nice people.

CoffeeDog chased one of Bill's goats around and around till we grabbed her. I get the distinct impression she doesn't understand What Goats Can Do! She spent the rest of the visit in the car.

For those of you interested in gpx2html, I have added another feature: index pages that list distances from reference locations. You can enter as many reference locations (like home, work, etc.) as you want, and it generates a page for each one. Kind of cool, I think. I used the gpx2html pages on my Palm today, and it went very well. Having the nearest caches listed on the cache page is very convenient!

Anyway, we had a fun geocaching adventure in the cloudy, gray Central Valley today!

Thanks for the PDA tour today Fizzy. I'm sold! Now I'm going shopping.

Yes, old coffeedag was having a great time. Brownie (the demon dog) is a little slow these days as she's going to kid in April. I thought it was cute but was afraid she'd head butt the pooch! icon_eek.gif

As far as Tag, cacher I can't be cacher K as there's a two letter rule... the best I could hope for is the next consonant. And that would just make my iL! icon_biggrin.gif Also, I noticed that LO is not Gold (AU) as noted in my find log. AG= Silver or a farmer. icon_biggrin.gif What was I thinking.

Off to the store for that PDA.

Bill of Green Achers

I can go whenever and will!

You shop late Bill! I don't understand how any cacher can live without a PDA. Now only if they could get the PDA and the GPS in one device! Hmm... Maybe then can get a cell phone, digital camera and a ladder in there too! That would be the ultimate GC utility!

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

Garmin makes one. The iQue 3600. And, one can be yours for only 589.00 bucks.

I really don't think I want to take that to work. Oh well.

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Zarniwoop, Howie Sauce, and Scooter Tras:

Did you enjoy Vegas? Thanks for the jump start on your cache there. I'll look the next time I get to Vegas.

Yes, Vegas was great... thanks to Geocaching. Seeing how I don't drink, gamble, chase skirts - although a successful cachers over there has to lift skirts (not what it sounds like). icon_rolleyes.gif That leaves eating, watching planes and Geocaching. Some of those virtuals send you to unbelievable sights (a Volcano Eruption, A Lake Water Fountain Show, Pirates, Cows) and others where historical which I like too.

I did miss a bunch of caches and wasted a lot of time because I didn't have a good information system (PDA). Not that numbers have ever been important to me, but I'd rather be hunting than sitting there preparing for the hunt. So where do you go? S H O P P I N G !!! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Originally posted by GeoSharks:

The Sharks went south to Stockton again today.

We had a very nice time.

I had a couple T.B.s to drop off and had a hard time finding a cache container large enough for one of them.

You people sure like small caches! Maybe I need to go farther south next time. icon_wink.gif

Wasn't sunny today like the last time we were there.

I'll post our finds tomorrow morning.

Once again... thank you C.V. Cachers for a fun day. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Not all of us like small containers!!!!!

Mike

Thanks Matt and George! I ran past it while in Nevada. I'm still waiting for developing so I can post #100. It sucks don't having a digital camera any more.

While I was out having fun, I dropped a couple CVC style caches on Thursday. One had a FTF report this morning (Lost Vegas Micro) and the other (The Odds Of Vegas) has yet to be found - Only a dozen locals have the ability as of yet.

Tag is well hidden. We spent over an hour looking this morning but the coordinates are at least 15 feet off and the spoiler applies to the whole heap. I think it calls for a CVC gathering after church! Print out Fizzy's log and pleeeease be careful (the farmer's wife told me to say that).

Bill of Green Achers

We might run out there later to look for it. I also want to look for Y.S.Y.L (again) and Aleutian Goose sometime today.

What time are you usually home from church, Bill?

Jaimee

We're home and it looks like Tag is still hidden... The 4 Retrieves came back this morning to continue their hunt in the day light. I asked them to feel free to put teepee on the trailer if they found it.

This is going to be a challenge. Hasn't Fizzy done this to us before? Oak, ya he has. Brace yourself Fizzy. It will be payback time soon. icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Hi,

The kids and I looked for a long time but no luck. Our readings put us zeroing out beyond the trailer 16 feet from the "stack". Maybe Bill, could have the whole crew out to restack the pile neatly as you go through it.

Use caution we found some wintering Yellow Jackets and a Black Widow Spider. Bringing some gloves would be a good idea. Down near the trailer is a type of mint plant that stings a bit like nettles but it doesn't last as long.

Sounds like fun -huh? Yep it must be a good hide!

Sherrie of the Retreevers 4

I really didn't try to make it hard. It's possible that the coords are off, but as usual I took 3 readings and walked around between each. Here are the three coordinates I got:

N 37 44.0980 W 121 09.9860

N 37 44.0980 W 121 09.9850

N 37 44.0990 W 121 09.9830

At any rate, I promise I didn't do it on purpose. That said, of course I am grinning ear to ear to hear that Bill is having trouble finding it. Revenge, and all that.

By the way, Bill: gpx2html and Plucker will work with your Macintosh, too. I'd be glad to help you with it!

I am trying to figure out why it is so difficult to put caches back the way people found them. I have checked on my caches before and they were totally different than I wanted them.

Merced River Bridge had been moved in such a way that it would change its ratings from a 3/3 to a 1.5/1. That is NOT the way it was intended. Why is it so difficult to just leave a cache how it was?

The Classroom Building was also moved in such a way to change the difficulty of the cache dramatically.

Pilot ‘Gel' was also left in such a way that would make the difficulty a 1!

It is not difficult to go back in the logs and see when the cache got easy. Prior: Wow! That was really hard! After: What an easy fun cache! I'm not stupid! If you are not going to put caches back they way they should be then don't get them!

I'm done ranting. I promiss to be calmer in about 10 minutes.

So how is everyone anyway?

70546_800.gif

I always try to put them back exactly like I find them. On occasion, however, in the excitement of finding a particularly hard one, I'll forget exactly how it was placed. A warning to be careful on the cache page usually helps.

And sometimes replacing a cache is a lot harder than retrieving it! That certainly was the case for The Down Under!

That one, though, is back exactly as it was.

Matt..

That has been one of my gripes for quite some time now. I think a lot of people are in a hurry while caching and they just don't take the time to do things properly. I like it when cache pages read something to the effect of "Hide it as good as, if not better than, when you found it!" Not that everyone heeds that advice, of course.

When I find a cache, I always make sure to hide it properly. It usually isn't too difficult to remember how you found a cache, unless you have about a 10-second attention span. icon_rolleyes.gif

I am anxiously awaiting to hear about the results of the latest hunt for Whiteout. I know there were two parties looking for it earlier, but I don't know if they were met with success or not. Funny how some caches just really stump people! icon_biggrin.gif

After reading Sherrie's post on the latest hiding spot for Tag, it kinda sorta made me want to avoid it. Yellow jackets and black widows...YUCK! That, combined with the couple of warnings to be careful, really make me wonder where this thing ended up!

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I always try to put them back _exactly_ like I find them. On occasion, however, in the excitement of finding a particularly hard one, I'll forget _exactly_ how it was placed. A warning to be careful on the cache page usually helps.

And sometimes replacing a cache is a lot harder than retrieving it! That certainly was the case for The Down Under!

That one, though, is back _exactly_ as it was.

You are right! ...but the person who put it there must have put it there somehow, so therefore it should be able to go back again. To me, if you can't put it back in the same place then you should say it so the owner knows and can go fix it (at least). As with Merced River Bridge (those of you who have found it when it was difficult know what I mean) it was just stuck on the support an arms reach away just behind the particular obstruction. The point I want with it is that you can see it from one place, but have to get it from another.

I just feel like some cachers go out and think, "Well, that is dangerous" or "That is WAY too difficult for me so I should just put it here and make it easier so someone else wont get hurt". If you can't get it... don't. Or find another way or something.

Oh well. I'm off!

70546_800.gif