Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

The lightbulb just went on in my un-caffeinated brain.

After I place the Tag cache, PLEASE don't hunt for it until at least Sunday night. Give Bill a chance to go find it so he can see that it does exist and he can even touch it. Maybe that will be the cure-all to his bellyachin' about the whole dang thing! icon_wink.gificon_eek.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Good morning all

Bill...I took the stupid cache home because it was late at night and I was not about to drive out to where I intend to place it!

I am kinda tired of doing the micro thing and would really like to hide/find some regular-sized caches,

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

AHMEN SISTER, I COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER MYSELF!!!!!!!

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

I don't see much room for full caches in modesto, maybe one or two. But Los Banos is emtpy, so are the wetlands around it.

Los Banos res has 1 cache, it will soon have more. The area around Merced, Mariposa, Oakhurst has a few, but there are trails that are all around the area.

Fill up the gas tank, it's time to drive.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Another thing with regular sized caches is the fact that they disappear more frequently. Even if a micro does go missing, there won't usually be much, if anything inside. Not that the regular caches are worth 100s of dollars, but it's frustrating when anything is stolen.

I have a few ideas in mind around the area that I think can hold some larger caches. While running around today, I am going to try to check a spot or two out. We have some bigger caches ready to place once we find appropriate spots.

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

What ever happened with that big flower-cam photo, George? Did you end up deleting the log?

They deleted the log themselves after I explained it to them. They went back and did it the right way. Good for them.

george

39570_500.jpg

.....in Kansas.

I mentioned on an earlier page that I had placed some micros in Kansas during Christmas. Take a look at this one which was magnetic....beats a newspaper vending machine all to heck.

The Plains Cowboy

GeoManhattan found all the new caches I placed over Christmas and commented on the micro aspect of 4 of the five. One was magnetic (a tin) the other 3 were film cannisters and the last cache was a decon container.

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:

The lightbulb just went on in my un-caffeinated brain.

After I place the Tag cache, PLEASE don't hunt for it until at least Sunday night. Give Bill a chance to go find it so he can see that it does exist and he can even touch it. Maybe that will be the cure-all to his bellyachin' about the whole dang thing! icon_wink.gificon_eek.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

But if I found it... I'd be part of the alphabet. Then I'd have to think about some thing else to joke about. icon_wink.gif That sounds scary. icon_eek.gif The Tag Cache is a hit and miss cache. I'll be there on the hit side one day... just not this weekend.

Over all today, I had a lot of fun Hunting and Stashing. LO will appreciate that my stash is far from a micro. Unfortunately, it's a receival cache for that Travel Bug Race which is starting on the East Coast.

Speaking of micro's, good job Fallen on Pilot Gel. I think my cross eyes are recovering nicely. icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

quote:
Originally posted by GeoSharks:

The Sharks had a nice time in the Stockton/Manteca area today. We wanted to help a TB move south, but had a hard time finding a cache large enough to hold it. We did find one though.

Thank you CVCr's for a nice day. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

GeoSharks

Glad you had fun and good to have you around. Looks like micro's are becoming a topic for the area. I think we have a good balance but it's also fun to hunt for over 30 minutes for a 5 gallon cache too! icon_biggrin.gif

Moving Travel Bugs... To anyone interested, Looks like they're about to gather the T-Bugs for a coast to coast races. see the T-Bug Race Forum for up to date information. icon_smile.gif

Bill of Green Achers

That about covers my time in the week BEFORE Christmas and the week after Christmas. Thank goodness the week in Kansas AT Christmas found me well. I think I have had my share for the end/beginning of a year.

Today I ventured out on a cache hunt that ordinarily I would have done a week ago...as it was a bay area cacher beat me too it, and Lodi cachers tried, but I beat them out.

Check out.....This one.

Has a *somewhat* familiar look to it, but is different too.

Thanks to the hider for my 8 a.m. success...just hiking with Marilyn the rest of the day, but there are lots of caches waiting out there.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on January 05, 2003 at 09:48 AM.]

Hello all

All that orange juice and aspirin must have done the trick Ron. Glad to see you are better. Being sick is the pits! My mom was here for Christmas and ended up with a cold, so I kept thinking I might get one too. Lots of vitamin C and some serious finger crossing has kept it at bay thus far.

Any bingo players around??? We went up to Jamestown last night with C&M and played, and Pat and I were talking on the way home about getting a bunch of people together to return. Saturday night games start at 7 p.m. up there. The only bad part is it is VERY smoky inside. Even if you sit in a nonsmoking section, you still get to smell cigarettes all night because their ventilation system is crap. If you play somewhere locally, you don't have to deal with that because smoking isn't allowed inside.

Pat was going to slip a cache out there somewhere too, but there were just too many security cameras around.

Have a fun day everyone!

Jaimee

Has anyone tried to look at the Flower cam today?? Brute called earlier and wanted us to help him with it, but we couldn't get the cam to come up on the website. I didn't have problems with any other java stuff, so I figured it was an issue on their end. Sorry Brute! icon_frown.gif

Speaking of Brute, did everyone know that he hears voices when he caches???? Apparently, he was visiting a cache yesterday and heard a haggard voice saying "Mister, can I help you?? This is private property sir!" Seems Brute decided the best thing to do was use the ol' "my GPSr is a cell phone" trick and walk away!! He did persist and found the cache eventually! icon_biggrin.gif

Last, but certainly not least, Tag is sitting all by its lonesome, just begging to be captured. I placed it yesterday afternoon, and it still hasn't been found..or if it has, nobody has logged it yet! Surprising...I figured someone would have grabbed it fast!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Tag cache. I thought that the tag container was out by C_____. Instead, I tracked it to an area almost a mile down the road and behind the W________. icon_biggrin.gif

Stupid clock cams. icon_mad.gif

Still thinking, "which will it be"? Maybe I'll grab anything out in the So. Bay tomorrow.

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

I don't know about you, but there's just no way I could end my day being just one cache short of 200! As long as I have a flash light... that will never happen. icon_biggrin.gif (famous last words) icon_biggrin.gif

If it's up to me, Tag will just have to sit there as I'm pulling an all nighter and have a family outting to follow. Sleep is for the weak. icon_eek.gif

Hey Brute! Get up!! 200!!! You can do it. icon_smile.gif

Oh, The Flower Web Cam broken. Maybe we need to call the city and let them know how important it is to our game! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

[This message was edited by Green Achers on January 05, 2003 at 08:39 PM.]

Howdy,

We were 9/13 out in the Waterford area today. Was a little bit concerned searching under a Bridge for the Jerky Stuff cache. We found an area where drug-making was evident. YIKES ...... We didn't find the cache though - ended up getting cold feet.

We're catching on to some of your hides now. We carry ski poles, gloves, quarters and today after a cache find, I was thinking we might have to throw a ladder in the truck!

THanks for the fun - ya'll are keeping us very busy!

Cathyicon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by McIrish:

One of our more adventuresome cachers put out another one of our EASY Sacramento caches. Try out Atlantis III the curse. Take some courage with you!

I have heard stories about those Atlantis caches..no thanks!

But come on..ya'll gotta admit it..after caching in this area, other areas are usually much easier.

I didn't mean EASY as an insult to the Sacramento caches in any way, shape or form! It's always nice to have a day with zero DNFs! When we planned our Sacramento day this past week, we avoided anything that looked even remotely difficult as we were working on limited time. 3+ hours of drive time have to be factored in also, so that certainly cuts out hunt time.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I thought we had some interesting folk here in the valley. I just discovered that there was some NUDE caching occuring up in Sacramento recently!!! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, it's true..really!! NUDE NUDE NUDE!

Sounds kinda fun, huh??

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

I thought we had some interesting folk here in the valley. I just discovered that there was some NUDE caching occuring up in Sacramento recently!!! icon_biggrin.gif Yes, it's true..really!! NUDE NUDE NUDE!

Sounds kinda fun, huh??

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

You mean they didn't have their GPS's on or nothing! icon_eek.gif Talk about getting caught red handed! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Are you one of those Buffed Sacramento Cachers or are you Bashful? icon_biggrin.gif [just kidding - please don't answer 'cause I don't want to know]icon_eek.gif

4.5/4.5 sounds like a challenge... what cache is that? icon_smile.gif

Never mind... I just realized it's Atlantis III, The Curse. I'm looking into this. I'm not sure that it's possible without renting a room as it says you'll need to take numerous trips. So let's see... hum!

Bill of Green Achers

This cache (Atlantis III) gets more interesting by the minute! I am not sure if I really want to hunt it now; it might be more fun to perch nearby with a set of really good binoculars!! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

Is that stupid thing fixed yet?? Oh well, too late now anyways. Maybe in time I'll go get it and hold up a big #300 sign. As for the #200 sign, I've a fireplace and it'll kindle a few good fires. icon_smile.gif

LO, I stumbled into an area by Fresno a couple months ago that made me go "What the HELL"? You won't need the binocs there. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gif

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

Is that stupid thing fixed yet?? Oh well, too late now anyways.

Maybe we should all hit the technical question link at the bottom of the web cam page. I wonder how quickly it would be fixed then.

And good job on #200.

george

39570_500.jpg

I sent an email via that link Sunday but never rcvd a reply. Pat checked it last night and it was working.

Jaimee

.....I haven't checked this out thoroughly yet, but it may have potential.

MobiPocket Replacement

Anything that looks more like the former Palmable work done by Brian would be great !

Also check outthis cache watcher utility developed by Clayjar. (here's the forum link)

Cache Watcher utility

To get the utility, go toward the bottom of the thread and find one of the last posts with *get it at the usual place* link. When you get there, go toward the bottom and get the latest version. I think it's 1.0.15 or something like that.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on January 07, 2003 at 10:35 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

.....I haven't checked this out thoroughly yet, but it may have potential.

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=6770936793&m=7620999445

Anything that looks more like the former Palmable work done by Brian would be great !

I checked it out and I like it! icon_biggrin.gif

It was very easy to spin the gpx file and load into my pda with avantgo. The file is so much nicer than using mobipocket.

....and Cache Watcher !

Well, the Spinner server seems to be down at 4 pm today, but I grabbed Clayjar's Cache Watcher...which runs on your pc....and it works great.

If you run with a laptop on your caching travels, you have an easy access to a list of the caches you specified in a pocket query, and when you click on a cache name it gives you the full description and the logs...can't beat that.

From what I hear, the Spinner is every bit as good as Brian's old Palmable at Pathetique. Apparently the thing that makes this all workable is that now you can download pocket queries with gpx capability.

Neat...glad these programmer types are willing to go the extra mile for the rest of us. Thanks lil devil and Clayjar! icon_smile.gif

Ron

Matt and I took the last day of my vacation to do this cache.... http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=20952

Started at 11am from Bell Station.

Over 37 miles round trip.

Over 8000 ft of climbing.

Finished at 5 pm back at Bell Station

I got back to the car just as the sun set. Guess who had left the lights on? Yup, dead battery. Exhausted, stinky, sticky and hungry but we were stuck there for another 2 hours before we could get a jump start.

AAA never showed up and we were just lucky enough to get a jump from some fishermen other wise we might still be there at the headquarters.

If anyone else wants to go for the cache, take a different entrance. It'd only be around 22 miles round trip then. Much easier.

george

39570_500.jpg

George and Matt, You're too much. I've been up there a few times and never come home less that dragging... and I was much younger and in better shape. I can't even imagine going there to do over 25 miles off road. You're both the man! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

George and Matt, You're too much. I've been up there a few times and never come home less that dragging... and I was much younger and in better shape. I can't even imagine going there to do over 25 miles off road. You're both the man! icon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

I forgot you were an old school mtb'r. We kept mostly to fireroads because our goal was Mississippi Lake. If I were going to do it singletrack wise, I would have never have made it.

george

39570_500.jpg

Old school crew. Yep, that's me. Raced NORBA (if they are even still around). That was back when Tom Ritchey was debating whether it was ethical to have a line of frames made in China rather than hand built - custom.

I think I'll dust off the old bike and take a trip. Maybe I'll do the Modesto Clock Cache Saturday... That's about my speed. And the WebCam's back up again. Looks foggy. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey Brute, Congratulations on breaking 200! I'm sorry the WebCam ruined your #200 find. I look forward to seeing your #300. icon_biggrin.gif

Grettings everyone!

I'm heading on up to Modesto this Saturday for one of my mega-caching trips. I have 22 area caches planned out to search. With luck, I'll find 14 or 15. I've learned from previous trips that the Modesto caches can be a little tough sometimes. I'll have my pocket full of quarters (george), this time. And, I hope to plant a couple of my own micros, so that you can get a taste of my style of cache hides. To top of the trip, LuvOzzy should have the Christmas Quiz cache ready. This was a cache she offered for the first correct answers to some trivia questions she posted a few pages back. Don't know what Jaimee has planned, but I know that it'll be a challenge. Maybe I'll get to meet some of you while you are out and about on Saturday.

GS!

quote:
Originally posted by Great Scott!:

Grettings everyone!

I'm heading on up to Modesto this Saturday for one of my mega-caching trips. I have 22 area caches planned out to search.

I looks like Fresno South is getting another build up of caches. It might be time for another trip.

george

39570_500.jpg

I was looking at the Fresno area last week..there are quite a few down there. I am going up to Sacramento tomorrow, but I don't think I will do any caching while there. My mom and I are going to a dinner party thing in the evening, so that leaves several hours for shopping!

Have a nice weekend all!

Jaimee