Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

You may recall that I volunteered to place a New Years Eve cache, in the tradition of George's holiday caches. Here's my idea. Tell me what you think.

I'll place a cache with party items (horns and hats and, of course, champagne) and get it approved. But the coordinates will be wrong. Close, perhaps (within a mile), but wrong.

Then I will make them correct at 11:00 PM on New Years Eve. Anyone who wants to be FTF and get the prize can then go for it, and (if the timing is right) they will be there for a party at midnight.

Does that sound fun? Or should I do something else? Please let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

You may recall that I volunteered to place a New Years Eve cache, in the tradition of George's holiday caches. Here's my idea. Tell me what you think.

I'll place a cache with party items (horns and hats and, of course, champagne) and get it approved. But the coordinates will be wrong. Close, perhaps (within a mile), but wrong.

Then I will make them correct at 11:00 PM on New Years Eve. Anyone who wants to be FTF and get the prize can then go for it, and (if the timing is right) they will be there for a party at midnight.

Does that sound fun? Or should I do something else? Please let me know.

... I'll be in LA by that time. Remeber, they don't do one time caches any longer so it'll have to end up a permenant cache.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I don't think I will be venturing out on New Year's Eve to hunt for any caches. We tend to stay home where it's safe and sound!

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

There is a cacher who has found a cache of mine, that requires them to send me an email with info for the cache. I have sent him four emails now requesting the information. He has not answered them. This morning I sent an email to his alternate email address, to see if he got my emails. He responded that he had. I again asked him if he was going to send the requested info. He has not responded again. icon_frown.gif Should I delete his find? I did tell him in the emails that I would. Let me know what you think.

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

[This message was edited by Fattuhr on December 30, 2002 at 12:21 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

One last thing... I'm including myself as a player in the game and I plan on looking for it once it's moved, but since I know what it looks like, I'm going to have a slight advantage at first so I'm NOT going to look for it until 5 finds have been logged. By then others will know what to look for and I won't have much of an advantage.

george

Did you change your mind?? icon_biggrin.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

quote:

One last thing... I'm including myself as a player in the game and I plan on looking for it once it's moved, but since I know what it looks like, I'm going to have a slight advantage at first so I'm NOT going to look for it until 5 finds have been logged. By then others will know what to look for and I won't have much of an advantage.

george

Did you change your mind?? icon_biggrin.gif

That's why I didn't log it as a find and just logged it as a note. If it had been 5 people I would have logged it as a find.

george

39570_500.jpg

Ah..got it. We were planning on going out to Aleutian Goose and figured I would nab Tag while there. I have the perfect hiding spot for the next placement, and I am only going to give Pat about a 20 minute head start on everyone else this time. icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

Hey everyone

Put on your company manners..we have a new cacher reading the forum! icon_biggrin.gif

Catmit seems to have contracted the bug in a big way. She and I have been corresponding via email for the last couple of days..very nice lady!

So, everyone welcome Catmit and her clan to the wonderful world of central valley caching.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

I'm a bit behind all of you, by about 300-400 finds; but if you all stay idle for a few months, I'm positive I could catch up! HA

I had second thoughts about continuing this game after my find at the cemetary today. Geez George!

I think I posted in your logbook, Someone call 911.

I'm truly fascinated by this game and live on every single clue I read. So......Keep it up.

You all seem like such a nice and friendly bunch. Hope to meet up with you at a site sometime.

Cathyicon_smile.gificon_razz.gif

Hey Pat, You know how mean and Evil I am. I would have deleted the log after the 2nd email.

Welcome Catmit, I'm sure you will like it here in the CVC club. We all have alot of fun with everyone. Hope to see you on the trail sometime.

Happy New Year everyone.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

Yes, after acknowledging the receipt of all the other e-mails and still no info on the cache find, I think it should get deleted. After all, once the info is provided it can be logged again. And, if cacher does have that info, it should be no big deal.

I think my brother is having trouble with some newbies to the game. They look for his MICRO and keep finding something big enough to put large items in. LOL! Check it out.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=45467

Zarni! What is it they're finding?? icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome to Catmit!

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

quote:
Originally posted by Catmit:

I'm a bit behind all of you, by about 300-400 finds; but if you all stay idle for a few months, I'm positive I could catch up! HA

I had second thoughts about continuing this game after my find at the cemetary today. Geez George!

I think I posted in your logbook, Someone call 911.

You don't realize the smile I get each time I read one of those lovely logs on that cache page. Although Fallen's telling of his find had me giggling so hard I almost fell over.

I'd love to here how you handled the whole situation.

george

39570_500.jpg

I KNEW that was where you were putting it! Clear as mud now...

Maybe I will go look at the coordinates and see where it is..but I can't go hunt tonight cuz it's almost time for Fear Factor! I think they eat something wonderful like horse rectum tonight. icon_eek.gif Now doesn't that just make you hungry for a bedtime snack??

Jaimee

Catmit..you can find the coordinates here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46796

I will tell you that it isn't in Stanislaus County right now, or at least it doesn't appear to be by the map we came up with by using the GPSr to adjust the coordinates.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

I thought the CACHE OWNER!!!! wanted the tag cache to stay in STANISLAUS COUNTY!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

quote:
From the page...

Please keep this cache in the general area of Stanislaus County. It's not a big deal if it goes outside the county but don't let it wander too far, PLEASE.

I said Near Stanislaus.

george

39570_500.jpg

He said he wanted it to, but it wasn't that big of deal if it ventured away. I just hope that it doesn't end up migrating to the Bay Area somehow cuz then I would have to drive in that gawd-awful mess they call traffic! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

I wondered the same thing Mike. It will be interesting to see if the caches are removed or left where they are. I would think that if one gave up caching entirely, the sensible thing would be to either pull the caches or allow someone else to take over ownership of the caches.

Speaking of cache maintenance, I have had yet another cache disappear. Poor Sponge Bob bit the dust in the last week. Pat checked on it on 12/21, and it was there. He checked again today after a few more DNFs were posted, and now it's gone. I was actually a bit surprised that it lasted as long as it did considering its location.

Jaimee

First off... it's over and I'm back!

Jaimee... you are wonderful! We have had some great laughs together. I guess by now you know what I was doing but I almost folded when you thought I was mad at you. No way! We were all laughing together at that Cacher A, B and C thing. I'm still laughing and I'll be laughing when I tap on someone's shoulder and cut in on that dance!

George and Mary... I now know where you stand on our mutual trust. You were wrong about me and there was no way I could convince you otherwise. You knew I was Venona and you were... wrong.

Fallen... You are a great man and I'd count it an honor to call you my friend!

Mike and Ron and everyone else that's inquired... Thank you. I'm addicted. Where else would I go??

Fizzy... You haven't heard the last of me you plotter and schemer. I owe you... BTW, nice job. icon_biggrin.gif

Now let's get back to work here people! There's caches to be found.

[if this doesn't make sence to you, it's because you missed the Venona, Lamneth, Double Agent Cache activities that hopefully just ending today. See the SF Bay Area forum]

Bill of Green Achers

Signature and nut to follow

Well, I've got the tag cache. And, when I found it, I was fairly disappointed that it was there. I was really hoping that it's location would inspire Bill to come out of retirement and find the thing. Now, I see that he has and that is GREAT! Only thing now is, he'll have to come to Merced county to find it. icon_biggrin.gif OOPS! Did I say Merced? Yes, I screwed up. But, Only by a tiny bit. Maybe 1 1/2 miles. But, I did have my reasons to place it there. icon_wink.gif Coords up soon..

Nope. His image is 576x360; the cam images are 320x240. No way that image came from the webcam.

Weird, since it appears to have been taken from the same spot. Why on Earth would somebody cheat on such a thing?

My advice: email them and ask them if it was taken by the webcam. If they lie, delete it. If they tell the truth, let them keep the log as long as they modify it to explain the whole thing.

P.S. I hope you guys had enough fun today to justify leaving a day late for SoCal. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:

Does it look like a web cam photo to you?

When you click on the picture, it shows you the size of the pic they uploaded, which is huge in comparison to the webcam pic. Plus there's the whole quality of the picture thing. Even when blown up to it's bigger size, it is still crisp and colorful. I don't believe it is possible to achieve that through that web cam page. I like watching that page, it updates so fast. I guess that's why it's done with a java applet (and is the reason why you can't grab a pic like normal).

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

I decided, after all the excitement today, not to do the New Years' Cache. I'll save it for some time soon.

Make it a Chinese New Year's cache... icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

Here's wishing everyone a very happy new year! I look forward to a new year of caching and making new friends.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46800

I got a second find on this cache and I've since taken a double look at the uploaded photo.

Does it look like a web cam photo to you?

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

Nope! Too clear for me and the angle is different.

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

Gone for a week and all kinds of craziness ensues. Matt gets T4! icon_smile.gif and someone quits??? That's odd. I'm surprised there's not more discussion about it. Hope there's no hard feelings.

Maybe I shouldn't bring it up??

R

http://www.garmin.com/graphics/guy.gif

http://www.jamzcheer.com/cvcth.jpg

...I'm reading backwards, but that is ok! Anytime you want to go back to T4 I'm in! I love that place!

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

Nope. Different camera. Can tell by photo size and the field of view is all wrong. It looks simulated. Possibly coundn't find a person at a computer. I think Fizzy had a very good idea on how to handle it.

I still need T4 and am up for going after it with whomever else wishes a tag along.. again...

I'm thinking about it but first I need to get some old laptop PC so I can interface with my GPSr. Love Mac's but they are not GPS Friendly.

I think Fallen is the man you want to talk to.

Welcome to Geocaching and the CVC.

Bill of Green Achers

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

Okay..a bug mystery here. We are wondering if maybe there is some kinda copycat stuff going on.

Here's the scoop. There is one certain bug that is in the possession of one who never visited the cache where it was last left...at least it appears this person didn't visit because they never logged a find.

So, another person visits and posts the tracking number for the bug and says it was not there. Question..how did this person get the tracking number if they didn't see the bug itself?

We asked the person who placed the bug in this cache if maybe they wrote down the tracking number in the log or something, and they said they did not do anything of the sort.

Pat and I have both asked that the find log be edited to remove the bug's tracking number so it cannot be moved..but that has not yet been done and the person has been active on the site today....interesting!

I guess we shall just have to wait and see what happens to it from here!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

Hey! It's way too soon to have something like that happen, LO. Go back and look at the Travel Bugs log and see if you don't have things resolved. The number was interned onto the cache log. No false log nor credit was put onto the T-Bugs site. icon_wink.gif It was just an oversight that was cleared up with a late entry. icon_smile.gif

Besides, there's nothing clever about copying. icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, I did make one foolish mistake with a number... that was real stupid! So sorry. I just made correction.

I wanted a mystery to solve! I have nothing else to do around here, so I was hoping to put on my sleuth clothes and do some investigating. icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

I wanted a mystery to solve! I have nothing else to do around here, so I was hoping to put on my sleuth clothes and do some investigating. icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

There'll be mysteries to solve and information to investigate in the future. Right now you can read the debreifing on Spy Special. icon_biggrin.gif I don't think I get a find there as I didn't actually attend... just was in the thick of things. icon_eek.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"