Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Has anyone looked for my cache out in Farmington yet?? I just wondered since it's been there for a while and hasn't been found. I know there are some folks who professed to being proponents of DNFs but don't seem to be still following that at this point! icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif I base that statement on the fact that I know someone in particular hunted for a particular cache recently, didn't find it, and also didn't post a DNF...interesting.............. icon_razz.gif

My cache up in Angel's Camp hasn't been hit yet either, except for Pat finding it the first day it was placed. That is the one I was really curious about because I am interested to see comments about the difficulty rating.

We might end up at the Xmas party tomorrow night after all. My daughter doesn't perform in the concert until between 8:00 and 8:30, so we might be able to pop by and hopefully play the gift exchange game and visit for a bit.

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

My cache up in Angel's Camp hasn't been hit yet either, except for Pat finding it the first day it was placed. That is the one I was really curious about because I am interested to see comments about the difficulty rating.

Jaimee

Maybe today. I'm headed up toward Sonora again and maybe toward Angel's Camp but not necessarily. I'll probably spend the time in Tuolumne City instead.

Driving to Hogan on Jack Tone put me within a few miles of Farmington last week but the storm detered me from actually driving the extra miles to the cache.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

I was up in Columbia on a candy run Tuesday, and I wish I would have gone on to Angel's Camp and checked on "Whiteout." It has the potential to be left totally exposed if the elements adjust anything near the cache.

Looks like maybe another stormy day today, hUh? I have final 5 of 5 today, and then I am DONE! YIPEEE!!

Have a nice day all, and, hopefully, we will see you all tonight!

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

It look's like we will have a good turn out for the party tonight, the more the people the more fun the steal a gift game is. Does everyone know how to play this game? It's real easy to play.

Our pilot's group play's it every year and it's a real blast.

We will see everyone tonight.

Mike

Food for thought:

If you dont eat your meat you cant have any pudding, How can you have pudding if you dont eat you meat???? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

When we play the game is it a gift per couple or person? I have bought and bought this week..gonna break the bank! icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Tammi

http://www.garmin.com/graphics/guy.gif

http://www.jamzcheer.com/cvcth.jpg [/quote

Tammi, It's how ever you want to do it. You can bring 1 gift per person or couple it's your choice. Christmas is breaking our bank also. Wouldnt it be nice to be a kid again icon_smile.gif

Mike

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Food for thought:

If you dont eat your meat you cant have any pudding, How can you have pudding if you dont eat you meat???? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

Led Zepplin - Dark Side of the Moon. Right? Man, it's been years since I heard that. And I thought listening to some old D.C. Talk this morning was going back in time. Anyway, forget the pudding and dig into the pizza! Have fun for me as I'm too busy.

I did take a little time to plan and plant one for those of you that like puzzles... El Camino Viejo Cache. It's not going to have too many visitors so I'm going to keep feeding the FTF prize. Over time someone's going to want the notch in their belt. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

"Why is 'Tourist Season' not mentioned in the Fish and Game Manual?"

Well, I was there today. I drove to the cache sight and found ( another one of these spots ). The wind was howling, but I decided to go for it anyways. I walked in and just as I got there I noticed someone sitting in a parked vehicle under the nearby trees. I saw all the white and the person looking at me. I started turning blue so, I bailed out. icon_frown.gif

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

...who sang what, but I do remember when I sat at a booth in a Rexall drug store, flipped through the pages of a booth-side juke box *remote* and played a song for a dime! That went along with a cherry coke made by a soda *jerk*.

45869_800.gif

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on December 19, 2002 at 05:22 PM.]

The party was very fun! And now I get to go to JoAnn's with my gift card..YIPPPEEE!!

Off to Sacramento to shop tomorrow...another YIPPPEEE!!

Carolyn..are we partying tomorrow night??? My mom will be here..she can be our designated driver!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

I had fun at the party also. It seems every party we rotate and talk to someone different (or at least I do anyway). This way I can keep my bank of stories going. Even though they didn't have many veggie things on the menu I was able to throw something interesting together that turned out to be rather good.

Till the next party, have fun everyone!

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

I'm ready!! We could stick Pat, Randy and Mike in a house with ALLLL the kids! That would be some kinda fun icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I had planned on doing something fun tonight to celebrate being done with school (for this semester at least). My friend and I went out a couple weeks ago, and I was yawning and ready to go home at 9:30. It sucks to get older, but I guess it's better than the alternative!

Jaimee

quote:

I'm ready!! We could stick Pat, Randy and Mike in a house with ALLLL the kids! That would be some kinda fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaimee

-------------------------------------------------

You Girls want to really see me go to jail dont you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Me and kids dont get along.

I only wanted the fun not the family. Now look at me. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

If you remeber, there was a TAG game going on up north of us that some of you were playing. Well down in Fresno I found a different version of a similar idea. I think it'll be fun to play with you guys so I've started a CVC Tag cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46796

This is basically how it works. The cache is going to move but stay generally around Stanislaus county. Once you find it, hide it somewhere else. The post the coordinates.

Here are some other aspects of it. The most important one is you can find it more than once, but you can't claim it again until two other people have found after you.

Also, the cache coordinates are NOT going to change on the page, it the finders responsibility to post the new coordinates in the find log.

Also, if you want to be nice to us Palm users, you could post the coordinates in the write-up part of the log and not just in the coordinate section. The coordinate section doesn't get downloaded into the palm when you pockey querry.

Well, I hope this is fun.

One last thing... I'm including myself as a player in the game and I plan on looking for it once it's moved, but since I know what it looks like, I'm going to have a slight advantage at first so I'm NOT going to look for it until 5 finds have been logged. By then others will know what to look for and I won't have much of an advantage.

george

39570_500.jpg

So, you basically look for the same cache over and over again, just in different places?? We played in the Tag game that McIrish did in the Sacramento area, and it was a one-time deal..you find it, you rehide it, and you are done.

Seems there would be some interesting logistics to work out in the sort of game you have done. Let's say it comes up on the page, I go find it and then move it elsewhere. While I have the cache in my posession, Mike goes out hunting for it, not knowing I have it. How will he know if he can't find it or if it isn't there any more?? That would happen over and over again, wouldn't it? Since the cache moves, I don't get how people will know whether or not it's in the given location before they go to hunt it. I know that I don't want to drive miles and then hunt for who knows how long only to later learn that the cache wasn't in that spot to begin with.

Maybe I should have waited until the page comes up...will my above questions be answered?

icon_confused.gifJaimee

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=46796

Here are some other aspects of it. The most important one is you can find it more than once, but you can't claim it again until two other people have found after you.

Thinking outside the box again George? Good going. Now how is the finder going to log more than one find? I guess only one find counts but you get to mess with people by moving it again. That could be funny... what if a metaporphis happens and someone... say, George no longer knows what it looks like?? That could be funny too! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Bill of Green Achers

You just have to watch the logs on the cache page. If you put a watch on the cache page it'll tell you when someone logs it and it's been freshly hidden.

If you feel lucky, go for it, but there's no guarantee it won't be gone by the time you get there. There's also no guarantee you can find it in the first place even if it is there.

Until you've found it you won't know what the container looks like and that's an important part.

Plus, some one may just hide it in an evil way, that's their choice. It may not be found by 2 or 3 people before it's found and moved again.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Now how is the finder going to log more than one find? I guess only one find counts but you get to mess with people by moving it again.

You can log a find more than once and it will increase you find count.

But each time you find it, it will be in a new spot.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

If you feel lucky, go for it, but there's no guarantee it won't be gone by the time you get there. There's also no guarantee you can find it in the first place even if it is there.

While there is always the chance that you won't be able to find a cache either because it is missing or you just can't spot it, I am certainly not going to rely on luck when hunting for a cache of this type. Sure, I can follow the ol' "if you don't like it, don't hunt it" advice, but I am wondering why this cache is cool when others of similar nature either couldn't get approved or had a hard time being approved.

Bringing in the aspect of being able to log the cache multiple times also raises some "ethical" issues for me. I am of the opinion that this could turn into a group project of sorts. Person A finds the cache..hides it..maybe lets person B know the situation so they don't go to the original location..person B finds it and lets person C know what the scoop is..and then person C lets person A know what is going on again. Soooo, if you happen to not be person A, B or C, you just might be SOL. Make sense?

Not to start WWIII here, but I have a question. If someone else from this area (i.e. Ron, maybe??) would have placed a cache like this, how many people would have set back and said "Yea, cool!!"?? I would bet lots of money that the majority of folks would have bashed it and said it wasn't fair, etc., etc. Just my humble opinion though.

Wow..I hadn't even looked at the cache page until just now. Seems it will be on my front page of caches..YIPPEEE!! icon_eek.gif I thought about going out there tonight, but after looking on the map, I figured Friday at midnight might not be the smartest time to visit that area!

So, unless I get LUCKY and happen to find it, it will just lurk there forever.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by LuvOzzy on December 21, 2002 at 12:10 AM.]

Simple is cool..difficult is cool. But running around on a wild goose chase looking for a cache that might or might not be there? Naw..not cool to me.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

Plus, some one MAY just hide it in an evil way, that's their choice. It may not be found by 2 or 3 people before it's found and moved again.

george

What do you mean... MAY? I think that's a give-me. icon_biggrin.gif I'm around! Also LO, there's enough other locals around to break up an A, B, C party.

George, What do you think about every hunter logging their DNF. That could be part of the fun. And just thinking about the Log Jam it would create. Interesting to learn that you can log a cache more than once and still add to your find numbers.

Simple is great too but when hunt time is limited, you sure hate to end up in a rock pile. icon_wink.gif Ron has taken me on some great little hikes which I really like to do. I rarely have that kind of time so I'm forced to the complex local caches. That way, I can keep the dust off the old (and bolding) brain cells between hunts. icon_cool.gif So I don't care for simple caches like the Fat City cache. [Why did that clown even stash that one???]

I think it's time to get the Rooster up. Have a great day and stay dry. icon_smile.gif

Bill of Green Achers

No conspiracy theory there. They just play the game. Matt and I had a really fun time hunting the cache and it lead to a really confusing, but in the end, really fun situation.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=40750

Do you really think three local geocachers will get together and just rotate the thing?

I just don't think the locals around here would do that, when I think back to the people at the xmas party I'm hard pressed to put 2 not to mention 3 people together who would do that.

george

39570_500.jpg

George..it's your cache, and you can do it however you choose.

And, yes, I do think there are some people around here who would take advantage of certain situations and maybe do some unfair things..but that's a whole nother ball of wax.

My whole point on this was that it seems the majority of people would rather search for a cache that has a better chance of being there than being gone. If a cache is missing due to vandalism or if one just can't find it, that is part of the game. To me, part of the game is not hunting for quite some time only to learn someone else has the cache in their possession and I had no way to know that.

Think of the logging history around here. Some people get bugs and don't log them for days and then hold them for even longer. Do you think that each and every person who finds this cache is going to run home, log it as found and then replace it? My guess is that won't happen 100% of the time.

Jaimee

Well, Pat and I decided to run up to the Tag coordinates and see if we could get the FTF on it..no go. First, we zeroed out in the middle of the road with an accuracy that led us basically to more of the road. Not a likely spot for the cache. This spot is pretty much in the ghetto, and I was none to eager to spend a great amount of time here. It's kinda sad because the logical spot one starts to look has recently been planted with flowers and some other plants. I didn't notice this until I started walking around the area, so I smashed somebody's plants icon_frown.gif

We then went to P3..went to the given coordinates and started hunting. Pat went to another location, and I was met by a security guard wondering what we were doing. Apparently, there is a security office in a building directly across from the location. The security guard was not too pleased with us being up there.

We did find one cache, "Scenic Surprise." I really recommend this one..it's fun!

Oh well...no way to know if "Tag" was actually there or gone, so I will wait to see what gets posted about it eventually.

Jaimee

How about the CVC hosting a coast to coast T-Bug Race? The East coast is setting one up and has asked for help from the West. Why not here!

I have a cache large enough for a mess of Travel Bugs and I'm sure we have the area to hide it. I'm guessing that more of the CVC group would be willing to help out if need be. Comments... icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

....I like them simple.

(Tupperware in the woods, after a hike, hopefully see something nice along the way or at the end).

Ron

__I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.__

Ron like them simple? icon_smile.gif

I consider Ron's caches some of the most creative complex caches out there.

As for the tag cache... I think if the situation gets out of hand George will archive it. It does work in Fresno (although I didn't think they could log theirs more then once but I may be wrong) and we did have fun with that one.

As for the flowers, that is sad and maybe it could have been somewhere else. Then again I haven't seen the particular area myself. icon_wink.gif

Have fun!

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:

How about the CVC hosting a coast to coast T-Bug Race? The East coast is setting one up and has asked for help from the West. Why not here!

I have a cache large enough for a mess of Travel Bugs and I'm sure we have the area to hide it. I'm guessing that more of the CVC group would be willing to help out if need be. Comments... icon_rolleyes.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Do you have a destination cache in mind? I don't have any tags at the moment, I'd have to order some to enter the race.

george

39570_500.jpg

At the geoevent today I got to sit and talk to Buxley of Buxley's Maps.

http://www.brillig.com/geocaching/

I don't know if you've had a chance to check out the pages but they're really nice. I had met Buxley a couple weeks ago but we didn't have a lot of time to really sit and talk about geocaching. He had some good stories.

The pages add some useful features and it easier to find new caches in an area.

Some of you might find them useful.

george

39570_500.jpg

Hello all

Time for a little game here! I have put together a prize for the first person to email me with the correct answers to the following Christmas trivia questions. The winner will receive a set of coordinates where the prize will be left (it will be an easy find). The prize consists of a large ammo can full of Christmas-themed items. You won't be able to log this as a find since there will be no cache page made; it's basically just for fun.

All of the answers can be easily found on the internet. This might be a fun one for the kids to do!

1. Who was Scrooge's deceased business partner in Dickens' "A Christmas Carol"?

2. Who accompanies St. Nicholas when he is distributing gifts in Holland?

3. "Oidhche na ceapairi", an Irish term relating to Christmas, means what?

4. What did Harry Potter receive as gifts on his first Christmas at Hogwarts School?

5. Which U.S. president started the annual tradition of the National Christmas Tree Lighting on the White House lawn?

6. When did Christmas become a federal holiday in America?

7. How do you say "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" in Catalan?

Have fun looking for the answers! As soon as somone emails me the correct answers, I will post a note here.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

quote:

2. Who accompanies St. Nicholas when he is distributing gifts in Holland?

That's easy...

They live in Ripon (the Dutch Community) and their name is either...

Van Fallen; Van Streeter; Van GeorgeandMary; Van Morris; Van Ozzy; or something like that.

Thanks Jaimee. Give me those Coords! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

Bill of Green Achers

There is already a winner of the game. All you "locals" got beat by Great Scott, who I think is an honorary local because of the amount of trips he makes up here to cache!

Congrats Great Scott, and the coordinates will be coming your way shortly!

Thanks for playing.

Jaimee

What? Who? Me? icon_smile.gif

Thanks Jaimee! When I first saw your quiz this morning, I thought someone surely would have sent you the answers by now. The questions were fun to research. The Harry Potter question had me worried. I was surprised to see a total synopsis of the movie on one site.

I'll plan a trip to Modesto for January. There's a good batch of new caches, and some old ones that snookered me the last time, in town. Probably the weekend of the 11th. I'll send you a note when I'm sure.

Thanks Again!

GS!

quote:

Way to go Great Scott. I couldn't get that Harry Potter #4 answer. Way out of my legue. Can you post the answers P L E A S E ??? icon_wink.gif

What, you aren't a Potterphile?? icon_biggrin.gif

Harry received a hand-knit sweater, and, most importantly, the Cloak of Invisibility!

The Morris' were the runners-up...they phoned in their answers right around 9 a.m.

I think I will do this more often..it was fun..at least for me!

We are off to cache for a few hours this morning. Pat only needs four to hit 300..I think I ONLY need 50 to hit 300! icon_rolleyes.gif

Have a fun day everyone.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

quote:

There is already a winner of the game. All you "locals" got beat by Great Scott, who I think is an honorary local because of the amount of trips he makes up here to cache!

It's hard to beat Great Scott. If you've read his logs you're sure to notice that many are found in the early early AM. The only caching I'm doing at 4 and 5 in the morning is in my dreams.

george

39570_500.jpg