Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Okay..I am going to be a total winch here for a moment (but what's new with that, right?)..my apologies in advance.

Can someone, anyone, please explain to me what is so bleeping difficult about reading the directions on cache pages? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

I understand being new to the sport, but, sorry, I just don't think that gives you a reason to not read the cache pages and do what is asked of you before logging a find. I would think that, if anything, the new people would spend more time reading the pages so they figure out what to do!

There is one particular cache in question that keeps getting logged improperly..meaning it is logged before the correct answers to a specific question are sent to the cache owner.

I already apologized in advance, but I will do it again here. I am just getting extremely frustrated with people who can't seem to follow simple requests. It's only a game and I shouldn't let it bother me, but enough is enough. If the cache is a virtual, answer the questions....simple as that!! If the cache is not a virtual and has questions, answer them.

I have not named anyone specifically here as this happens frequently on several caches...not just people from around here...and, besides, it would be WAY too mean to name names, even too mean for me!! icon_eek.gif

Thank you for allowing me to rant for a moment..I shall now try to be nice for the rest of the night.

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

I'm with you Jaimee. Although I've been guilty of visiting a theme cache and not bringing any Sponge Bob things to leave. While I can explain my rudeness, I'm not sure what happens with people on Vitual Caches.

On my mistake, I loaded many coordinates into my GPS and then (a few weeks later) went out hunting. All I had was the coordinates and the waypoint ID's. No clues (pun intended).

As far as Virtuals, I found the same problems so I just closed out all my virtuals. It just wasn't worth the hassles.

has an interesting twist on contacts. He'll give you a spoiler, but first you have to log your frown and then tell him about the area of the cache. -I saw this as I'm not likely to have time to hunt the cache but was interested- So this requires interested parties to follow the directions. No follow, No spoiler. Good job

!

Bill of Green Achers

"Happy Trails make Happy Tails."

I try never to make catty comments about other cachers in my cache logs. I know that there are some people with whom I cache that do it sometimes, but I don't.

That said, one of my pet peeves is obnoxious, useless hints. If you don't want to give a hint, then don't give a hint. I have no trouble with that, because it's honest. But if you've put something encrypted on your cache page, it ought to be an actual hint. Putting something else there is rude and disrespectful of those who are looking for your cache.

Looking over some new caches in the area, I have seen several such "hints." The attitude that they convey is not one I would like to be associated with.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

I have to say that brute fits right it with this bunch. I just got done with a nice round of caching and brute has the valley attitude. Evil in many ways. Maybe it's just because I did most of them in the dark. Maybe it's because I didn't print the pages so I didn't have any clues. I don't know, but it was tough. Two DNF's both brute's one was on the biggest cache of the lot. One emergency call to someone for a hint. And one dead flashlight.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

Due to a SMTP problem at work it's hard for me to send email. Anyway, there's a few of you I haven't written back to and I wanted you to know this was why - I'm not ignoring anyone!

Pat, I'll drop off the bug soon. Sorry!

Ron, thanks for the email a while back. We loved the story also. And the beginning with Liam asking you for a hint was great!

The Mick, I'll check on Ace O Sob again soon. It should be there, but you never know! I'm proud of the fact that I finally placed a difficult one! icon_smile.gif

Anyone else, I'll have our email system back up tomorrow theorhetically....

Randy

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

Wow, seems as if Fizzy is quite passionate about what he wants/doesn't want in a hint, huh?? icon_biggrin.gif

I also enjoy a good hint if I am in a bind and can't find a cache..but, I also find humor in those that say something like "Nope..no hint for you." Sure, I have called that person names after I decipher the hint and find it is useless, but that has happened so few times that I don't even recall which caches they were.

I know of several people who want this elaborate, mind-bending clue to assist in their hunt. The reality is probably that most people don't care to spend hours constructing some fancy clue or they don't have the mental capacity to do so. We aren't all rocket scientists here. icon_razz.gif

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

I also enjoy a good hint if I am in a bind and can't find a cache..but, I also find humor in those that say something like "Nope..no hint for you." Sure, I have called that person names after I decipher the hint and find it is useless, but that has happened so few times that I don't even recall which caches they were.

quote:
From the hide a cache page:

Please keep your hints short, so decoding it on the trail is easier. If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.

Also, Eric, one of the cache approvers has asked people not to put bogus hints in as it is extra and unecessary verbage that they have to read before approving the cache, taking extra of their time.

--Marky

"Everyone spends time in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"

quote:

Wow, seems as if Fizzy is quite passionate about what he wants/doesn't want in a hint, huh

Um, no... I think I am just asking for common courtesy here.

Consider a person who is on vacation in your area and decides to do a cache. They get to the cache coordinates, spend an hour looking, and then give up and decode the hint, only to find an offer to email them a hint if they can prove they were at the site. Of course, being on vacation, they have no access to email, so they are screwed.

If I were that person, I would receive the strong impression that Central Valley caches are only meant for Central Valley people.

Do you folks really think that is appropriate? If so, then I guess we just have a different view of what constitutes polite behavior.

Or perhaps you believe that himnts should be decoded before the hunt; in that case, why bother to encrypt them?

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

If I were that person, I would receive the strong impression that Central Valley caches are only meant for Central Valley people.

Do you folks _really_ think that is appropriate? If so, then I guess we just have a different view of what constitutes polite behavior.

Or perhaps you believe that himnts should be decoded _before_ the hunt; in that case, why bother to encrypt them?

Oh, okay...I get it now!! You are saying that it is the Central Valley cachers who give crappy clues, right?? Silly me...why didn't I catch that the first time I read it?? icon_rolleyes.gif

I can't speak for others as to what constitutes polite behavior, but I wouldn't say that what one considers a crappy clue would be impolite behavior to all who encounter it. I don't recall any clues from central valley folks saying to email them for help if they can't find it, but, then again, I haven't found all the caches out here.

As for decoding a hint before hunting, that might be a good idea, especially if you are planning on hunting caches while on a vacation and away from home. Again, that would seem to me to be an individual decision. Some folks always decode the hints before ever heading out. When I print out a cache page, I decode the hint before printing, but I don't look at it until I need it (which is most of the time). Is there an option where you can leave the hint decoded when submitting a cache? I hadn't noticed that before, but I haven't really looked for it either I guess.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you saying lately, Fizzy, but I certainly get the idea that you don't find the central valley caches and cachers to be so wonderful (with the exception of a person or two).

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by fizzymagic:

Or perhaps you believe that himnts should be decoded _before_ the hunt; in that case, why bother to encrypt them?

By reading this and some of your other posts it would appear that you read the hints before you go on the hunt for caches already. Since you are referring to some of the new cache placements in this area, not sure which ones those would be since I do not read the hint until I need to in the field. By looking at the new placements in this area, which are by only three cachers. One has no clue, Mine has a clue and it is not meaningless, so that leads me to believe I know which cacher you are having a problem with. Maybe you should email him personally and talk him about it instead of attacking his pllacements in the forums. It's not that hard to figure out who your talking about. Our caches in the valley are welcome for everyone to find, and I personally love to see people from out of town come to look for them, that way I know they are interesting to other cachers in other areas. icon_eek.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

quote:

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you saying lately, Fizzy, but I certainly get the idea that you don't find the central valley caches and cachers to be so wonderful (with the exception of a person or two).

You are indeed misinterpreting what I am saying. I have enjoyed almost every cache I've done in the Valley, and you folks are excellent cachers and very nice people. Please don't take what I write as personal criticism.

I do think that there is a little of what I like to call the "Caltech syndrome" in the Valley. I'm leaving right now to fly to DC, so I don't have time to expand; I will when I get back on Thursday...

[[[[Connsider a person who is on vacation in your area and decides to do a cache. They get to the cache coordinates, spend an hour looking, and then give up and decode the hint, only to find an offer to email them a hint if they can prove they were at the site. Of course, being on vacation, they have no access to email, so they are screwed]]]]] <<

Well then maybe they should figure out what cache's they plan to get on vacation and dl the pages so they have the hint. Not to hard to figure that out.

I think it all boils down to certain people who can't find a cache want to blame someone else, which completely baffles me. icon_confused.gif

If I can't find a cache, besides it maybe being destroyed or moved, it's my dumb luck hint or not. Which by the way I use and embrace with love! icon_biggrin.gif I guess if that makes me less of a cacher then so be it.

Tammi

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

Okay..I am going to be a total winch here for a moment (but what's new with that, right?)..my apologies in advance.

Can someone, anyone, please explain to me what is so bleeping difficult about reading the directions on cache pages? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

QUOTE]

I would be frusterated too!! You put the work into the cache, so I should follow YOUR RULES you place on the cache. The few virtuals that we have found I have emailed the placer with my answers and WAITED for their reply until I posted my find. It really isn't very hard.

As far as sticking with themes of caches, I think that is fun. My son still talks non-stop about the cool SpongeBob treasure we found. Of course we left a Spongebob item, but he took a toy truck(not spongebob). One of the theme caches asked for Cycling stickers and I made Keith search the house until he found one we could take. But if we ever did a them cache and I didn't have anything I would definatley TNLN.

I always print out the cache pages (minus the logs) and take them with us. Then we have all the info for each of the caches we go hunting for.

We just find it easier to be organized since we have a 4 year old in tow with us. Who, by the way is becoming a pretty darn good cacher. He learned how to use the GPS this past weekend and found one completley on his own!!

Hints are definatley a personal choice. I prefer to look for the cache for quite a long time before decrypting the hint. As for Keith, as soon as he gets there he wants to know what the hint is. It might have to do with him having NO patience!! icon_confused.gif A few that we have looked for the hints were pretty confusing and they didn't help us at all. But, I feel that is part of the game and we just have to go back and look some more!!

Miki, Keith and Tyler

Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I have to say that brute fits right it with this bunch. I just got done with a nice round of caching and brute has the valley attitude. Evil in many ways. Maybe it's just because I did most of them in the dark. Maybe it's because I didn't print the pages so I didn't have any clues. I don't know, but it was tough. Two DNF's both brute's one was on the biggest cache of the lot. One emergency call to someone for a hint. And one dead flashlight.

george

Brute, Welcome to the Dark side. As you will find out The valley cachers are mostly on the dark side.

You will understand as you cache more. And Remember I'm the evilist of them all!!! Fatture,Luvozzy, George and Mary, And Ron are a close 2nd.

Cache you later. Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

quote:
Originally posted by Motown Goonies:

The few virtuals that we have found I have emailed the placer with my answers and WAITED for their reply until I posted my find. It really isn't very hard.

Miki, Keith and Tyler

I've done two virtuals where the cacher never contacted me. After a couple weeks, I just logged the finds anyway. It made me feel like a step child. But since I grew up around step parents, I really felt at home again! Not being acknowledged hurts.

Good thing is I get over things like this real quick. It's just now worth getting upset over. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Brute, Welcome to the Dark side. As you will find out The valley cachers are mostly on the dark side.

You will understand as you cache more. And Remember I'm the evilist of them all!!! Fatture,Luvozzy, George and Mary, And Ron are a close 2nd.

Cache you later. Mike

C'mon Mike we all know that the most evil one of all is LuvOzzy (or is that Nastiest) I forgot. icon_biggrin.gif

Ok, I can admit it. Fizzy was complaining about me. That was my hint with the e-mail reply inside. My main purpose was mearly to see how many purple faces I could get. So far, not doing to well either. Smart guys out there. Didn't mean to start some silly uproar over it. I figured most people would see that before they went out and would know in advance. Looks like he did, eh? Anyone who didn't should surely be able to tell that no clue is available. No problem here, I'm up for a poll. Leave it or remove it? You guys decide. No skin off my tail....

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

I hope someone brings their GPS to the get together. Won't it be needed to log the find? icon_wink.gif Starting to wonder about mine. Want to check it against others. I did drop it on a rock at the last cache I placed and have been told that the coords were off 40 feet! Ack!

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

Ok, I can admit it. Fizzy was complaining about me. That was my hint with the e-mail reply inside. My main purpose was mearly to see how many purple faces I could get. So far, not doing to well either. Smart guys out there. Didn't mean to start some silly uproar over it. I figured most people would see that before they went out and would know in advance. Looks like he did, eh? Anyone who didn't should surely be able to tell that no clue is available. No problem here, I'm up for a poll. Leave it or remove it? You guys decide. No skin off my tail....

Don't be mistaken, it's a good hide. I didn't look at the clue until I came home. I'd just take the hint off and put at the bottom of the cache page. It'll stump some. When you have Ron and I posting the first finds on the cache you can't use that to determine how hard it is.

george

39570_500.jpg

You didn't bother inviting me for Pizza?

quote:

I hope someone brings their GPS to the get together. Won't it be needed to log the find? icon_wink.gif Starting to wonder about mine. Want to check it against others. I did drop it on a rock at the last cache I placed and have been told that the coords were off 40 feet! Ack!

quote:

When you have Ron and I posting the first finds on the cache you can't use that to determine how hard it is.

george

ROFLMAO!!! Are you equating the number of finds with how good you are at finding (especially the first time out without any help)??? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Just yankin' chains here...everyone stay calm.

Can't wait until Fizzy returns so I can learn about his "Caltech" idea or whatever it was. I am sure it will be something ever enlightening and will improve all us central valley cachers. Isn't it sad to be soooo simple?? icon_wink.gif

Jaimee

I don't want to say too much about devious so I just won't. Here's a list of the types of hides that kill me. These have nothing to do with rating because they're often 1/1's or 2/2's.

#1 Anthing in a patch of IVY

#2 Anything in a field of dry grass with the cache just covered with dry grass.

#3 anything in a blackberry bush.

those are the big ones.

george

39570_500.jpg

[[[[Connsider a person who is on vacation in your area and decides to do a cache. They get to the cache coordinates, spend an hour looking, and then give up and decode the hint, only to find an offer to email them a hint if they can prove they were at the site. Of course, being on vacation, they have no access to email, so they are screwed]]]]] <<

How did they get the coords. if as you said they're on vacation and have no Email / Internet icon_biggrin.gif

I don't want to say too much about devious so I just won't. Here's a list of the types of hides that kill me. These have nothing to do with rating because they're often 1/1's or 2/2's.

#1 Anthing in a patch of IVY

#2 Anything in a field of dry grass with the cache just covered with dry grass.

#3 anything in a blackberry bush.

those are the big ones.

george

Dang George, You just guessed my next 3 hides. How did you do that?????? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Mike (the simple red neck hillbilly)

quote:
Originally posted by Zarniwoop, Howie Sauce, and Scooter Tras:

But then they had the chance to read/write down the hint icon_smile.gif

I have 400+ caches loaded into my gps right now. If you think I've read all the cache pages and hints then you give me more credit than I deserve. I do have those same pages loaded into my palm, but I often leave home without it.

george

39570_500.jpg

Where did the clampets come into this? Fizzy said someting about CalTech syndrom? Since when is caltech full of hillbillies and rednecks? Now I have no idea what he means but I just don't make the connection everyone else seems to have made.

Someone connect the dots for me.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

You know me George, When I hear a referance about hicks I have to say something. They might be talkin about one of my cousins. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Mike

Cousin's? Is she the one that couldn't outrun you? Oh! That's Arkansas not Texas sorry. icon_eek.gif

Yes. Don't mess with Texas. I've heard it before. Then again, I pretty much grew up in El Paso. icon_smile.gif And, what the heck is a Zarniwoop?? Coming in here and trying to defend me, like I need any help. I just guess that's something a younger brother feels compelled to do. icon_biggrin.gif Guess I need to head back down to the Mojave area and get his and all the other caches found. Anyone else want to go? icon_smile.gif Zarni, BTW, is the one that got me hooked...

Where did the clampets come into this? Fizzy said someting about CalTech syndrom? Since when is caltech full of hillbillies and rednecks? Now I have no idea what he means but I just don't make the connection everyone else seems to have made.

Someone connect the dots for me.

george

George...it was just me being a smart a*s. I get the distinct feeling that certain folks think of us valley residents as lesser beings for some reason. I have no clue what the CalTech thing was about, and, to be perfectly honest, I really couldn't care less what it means.

I was just popping off and made a comment about being simple, which is the way that we seem to be portrayed at times (not just in the caching scene but with life in general).

I will go back in my hole and stop causing trouble now.

Jaimee

quote:

No problem here, I'm up for a poll. Leave it or remove it? You guys decide. No skin off my tail....

Mr. Force,

You can't please all the people all the time... and you can't think though all the possibilities of the hunters of your cache. There are too many angles to project.

Keep your caches as you created them (unless they are offending). I'm impressed that you came up with a new twist on a otherwise straight forward section. That's clever and should be encouraged. Keep expirementing. Keep us guessing. Learn from your past and press on!

Just say NO to cookie cutter caches!

BTW, let it be said... Out of the area Geocachers are welcome! Come enjoy the play field.

But that's just my opinion. icon_wink.gif

Bill of Green Achers

Yee Haw! Hi ya'll I see some interesting thoughts and opinions have been debated here in the CVC forum. I guess I qualify as one of those peoples in the them/they category well that's ok too. I really have nothing negative to say, but I sure have a alot fun when I'm out in the Valley with my wonderful caching buddies icon_biggrin.gif

DNF's happen, falling down happens and thank goodness for short recoveries, and lets see posts that make a person not so happy also happen. The way I see it I should just keep caching and mind my own business. icon_wink.gif

Looking forward to my next Valley adventure who knows what'll happen, but I'm sure it will be FUN!

Ya'll have good day now ya hear.

Pepper

Horizontals where it's at!