Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

...love my clock !

Well actually, I am back on track. I went to bed at 8:30 Monday night and got up at 5 Tuesday, so that is a solid sleep period. Getting better every day.

Got to go to work today at 2:30, so need to get some stuff done before that. Glad normalcy is returning.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

I was able to nab the FTF on one of the new caches. Pat was quite the sneak on this, considering the first stop to his multicache is somewhere that I was going to hide something a while back!

I have been contemplating whether or not to try for the other new one, but I guess it will have to wait cuz I don't want to get out of my jammies now.

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

I was able to nab the FTF on one of the new caches. Pat was quite the sneak on this, considering the first stop to his multicache is somewhere that I was going to hide something a while back!

I have been contemplating whether or not to try for the other new one, but I guess it will have to wait cuz I don't want to get out of my jammies now.

Jaimee

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

I was going to try for both of them. For some reason I have run out of money (and consequently gas) this month icon_frown.gif

I cant wait till winter break. I get both school and work off!

70546_800.gif

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

Thanks Bill. I will look at that when I get home.

I have an interesting question (and it has probably been brought up before). When a person (YOU) can't find a cache do you log it as "Couldn't find it"? I have noticed that people don't seem to do this most of the time. I ask because I use this Couldn't find to let me know if the cache is still there or not. If there are a few in a row I go check on it. The problem is, it seems, people don't log it.

70546_800.gif

...I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers to your question about *not logging* when a person can't find a cache.

Here's my take.

If I look for 30 minutes or more and can't find a cache, I will USUALLY post a frowny face. I figure that's enough time that I SHOULD have been able to find it.

On the other hand, if the place has got 20 or so possible hideouts, I'm experiencing failing light, failing energy, etc. I might put a note on the page in which I would indicate the time I looked, other conditions. Those kinds of things affect future cachers too.

If I have looked for only 10 minutes or so and decide to forget it for another time, I might post a note saying so, or I might just not post anything.

There are so many possibilities that sometimes it's just a crapshoot on what we do and what other people do.

I've seen 3 can't find notes from three separate people over a week's time and then I've gone and found it in 20 minutes.

I've also seen three can't finds and decided NOT to go look for one. What was the difference?

In the first case, the three who couldn't find had very little experience under their belts. In the other case, all three couldn't finds were people I knew, respected and had many finds.

Like I said...a lot of variables.

Ron

Many of the newbies don't know that it's been kind of a tradition to place one time caches at the holidays. I've done a few, the Morris clan has done a few and Tomaski has done one. Well, recently the site has stated that they will not approve one time caches so that kills my one time holiday races.

So....

Instead, I'm placing a cache that will stay there with a nice FTF prize.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=41659

There it is. It's memebers only until the FTF prize is gone then I'll open it up to everyone. It's anyone's guess as to when it will be approved.

If I had to place bets now I'd put money on Brute-Force. But I don't know if he's a member yet.

george

39570_500.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

To add to Ron's list...

I would zoom at a cache that Ron or George couldn't find, just at the possibility of saying, "Oh ya! I found it!" This attitude can back fire and cause great egg face too but that's the risk. (See my log on Bullwinkle Is Looking For His Friend cache and feel the great egg face as the following hours lead to not two, but three finds). Isn't life fun?

I wonder if people don't log the frown as they want others to think they're not tops. Funny thing is that there are many reasons a person may have missed the find. In my last case, it's because I didn't want to move the river any further to the south by lifting rocks. ''Can you see it yet? No good! How 'bout now?? No good!! How about here??? No good!!!''

Giving up due to time factors gets a note. When you start talking to yourself, it's frown time! (The egg is the bonus) lol

Bill of Green Achers

"Happy Trails make Happy Tales."

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

Many of the newbies don't know that it's been kind of a tradition to place one time caches at the holidays. I've done a few, the Morris clan has done a few and Tomaski has done one. Well, recently the site has stated that they will not approve one time caches so that kills my one time holiday races.

So....

Instead, I'm placing a cache that will stay there with a nice FTF prize.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=41659

There it is. It's memebers only until the FTF prize is gone then I'll open it up to everyone. It's anyone's guess as to when it will be approved.

If I had to place bets now I'd put money on Brute-Force. But I don't know if he's a member yet.

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

Darn! And I had the whole night free too. (sleep is for the weak).

Have you noticed that caches are only available to the author before they're released? Maybe it's just me but this always happens when I try to get a sneak preview.

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Darn! And I had the whole night free too. (sleep is for the weak).

Have you noticed that caches are only available to the author before they're released? Maybe it's just me but this always happens when I try to get a sneak preview.

Bill of Green Achers

That's the point. George has us all sitting here refreshing the page and waiting. He loves it!

70546_800.gif

If I don't find it, I don't find it. I just logged a DNF on Pat's new one. I could have posted a note since I was searching in the dark but why bother. I tried, I failed, I'll return.

It's kind of annoying if people don't log a DNF. When they attempt the cache. Recently some folks went after a Fools Gold and did not log the DNF, Brute went after and missed and logged the DNF. He later received email from others stateing that they didn't find it either. Where I had one DNF I should have had maybe 4. That tells me I might need to check on it.

Without the DNF, or even at least a note, I'm still under the impression that the cache is there and ready to go.

I still think the cache is there but I'm going to check on it as soon as I can.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Green Achers:

Bill of Green Achers

You used to be able to see caches BEFORE they were approved. The changed that some time ago. Now it's very much the luck of the draw. I doubt it'll be approved before the morning. I wouldn't stay up all night. I showed Matt how to check to see if caches were being approved and to figure out how many caches were in line in front of this one.

Best bet is to get up really early.

george

39570_500.jpg

Welcome back, Ron! Sorry I didn't greet you sooner, but I was out of town.

Looks like you placed more caches than you found on your trip. I've been keeping track of my cache-miles (sum of distances from my home coordinates to the caches I've found) and I am now approaching 200,000. I wonder what your cache placement miles are?

...I haven't looked since I got back, but if memory serves, there are only about 90 in the whole country. We have that many in Stockton/Lodi etc.

I only looked for three as the attractions of Italy far outweigh the excitement of caching. Go 6,000 miles to look for caches?

I looked for Roman Forum and Pompeii. In my opinion, neither should have been placed. These places are not sacred, but come on...there's lots of countryside around.

The third one I looked for and found...was Lean On Me at Pisa. This was a virtual which could not be removed and took me right to the tower.

The other two were so populated by people, that just looking for them was difficult. At the Roman Forum I looked for about 5 minutes behind some stone benches (50 feet long) before about 20 tourists sat their abundant butts on the benches. Since I was behind them and two feet lower in a grassy area I thought retreat was the wisest choice. I see it was moved from its original location and some folks did find it after I was there.

In Pompeii, the cache was to be in an old oven in the ruins of a house. At the coordinates, there was no oven, but there was one 75 feet away across a street. I looked there (along with 50 Japanese tourists) but couldn't find it. I'll send a pic of the oven to the cache placer to see if I was in the right spot.

Plenty of virtual options for caches in both places, such as dates on arches, dates on tombs etc. That would have been ideal I think and preserved these special places.

Yep, I placed two physical and one virtual cache. The physicals were in wilderness areas and the virtual was at a Villa with hundreds of fountains.

Good to be back...and back to caching.

Ron

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on October 31, 2002 at 07:27 AM.]

My two cents on logging DNF's:

I don't use the DNF feature. If I go out to look for a cache and don't find it, I will then make another trip and try again. I did use the frowny face on Dragonfly after my second trip was a failure. In that situation, I might post a DNF...or if the cache is somewhere that I don't care anything about revisiting.

There is no particular reason why I don't do the DNF thing. I could care less if someone thinks I am a failure or whatever other ideas might be associated with the frowning face. I basically just don't consider a cache a DNF until I have totally given up or think that there is no way to find it.

While the DNF log might alert the cache owner to a potential problem, I think it can also prevent future hunters from seeking that particular cache, especially if there are several DNF's logged. For example, there is a cache over on the coast that I was going to look for last weekend. The last three or four posts were DNF logs, so I said "Forget it" and didn't even waste my time. In my opinion, if you hunt for a cache and think it might be missing, it would be best to contact the owner directly and let them know your ideas.

Have a nice day everyone!

Jaimee

As newbies, I haven't been logging all of our DNF. If we have looked for quite a while, then I did post a DNF but also said that we would be back. There are two that I haven't logged DNF because each time we have visited, they are busy. In the case of the notorious "MIckey's Cache" If I logged the DNF each time, then I would have 5 DNF on that one!!!

Being a newbie I would hate for someone to run out to all of their caches to check on them because we are new to this and not finding all of them. Some days we have found all and other days we totally strike out and find none (those days stink!!). I do check the log's before we go out though to make sure there aren't any DNF. If there are, then we skip those.

Since we are looking for mostly your caches locally right now, what do you veterens prefer for us newbies to log? If you guys want me to log DNF on your caches, I will. But at this point we aren't all that good at it, so you can expect alot of them probably!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Miki, Keith and Tyler

quote:
Originally posted by Motown Goonies:

Being a newbie I would hate for someone to run out to all of their caches to check on them because we are new to this and not finding all of them. Some days we have found all and other days we totally strike out and find none (those days stink!!). I do check the log's before we go out though to make sure there aren't any DNF. If there are, then we skip those.

Since we are looking for mostly your caches locally right now, what do you veterens prefer for us newbies to log? If you guys want me to log DNF on your caches, I will. But at this point we aren't all that good at it, so you can expect alot of them probably!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Miki, Keith and Tyler

I take number of finds into account before I go check on a cache. If a newbie can't find it, it's no big deal, at first. If a vet can't find it, then I start thinking about taking a look.

But I at least like to know with a note that someone is spending time at the cache.

I assume people have fun when they don't find them. I do.

george

39570_500.jpg

I think that the decision is completely up to the cache hunter. If you feel like you need to log a DNF, then do it; if you don't feel that need, then don't log it. If you think the cache might be missing, then you can always drop a note to the cache owner.

You mentioned the same thing in your post that I mentioned in mine. You said that if there are several DNF posts, you don't bother even going to look. That is my main reason for thinking that the DNF might not be such a good thing.

When I see a DNF on one of my caches, I usually pay it no mind unless there are several of them. I usually wait a few days and see if anyone else finds the cache; if not, then I will go out and see if I can locate it or if it is missing.

I have noticed that lots of new cachers use the DNF option and then make comments such as "I think it's missing" or things along those lines. That, to me, is not cool just because it might sway someone away from the cache if they see that post. If that kind of post appears on one of my caches, I usually will post a note in response, especially if I am certain the cache is still there.

Being a "veteran" cacher around here (I guess that's what I am at least), I would say to do whatever you want on your logs. It is not going to have a drastic impact on the sport either way.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

...you made many good points about NOT logging a DNF...looked 5 times...doesn't make sense to log 5 no finds. This ties in with what LuvOzzy said about her plans to go back to look again for a cache.

As I said before, if I look for 30 minutes I will USUALLY log a frowny face, but I usually intend to return unless for some reason I think things are just to *weird* for whatever reason.

My most recent example is George's Hole Again cache. I logged a DNF about a month ago and then went back yesterday and found it. I still leave the DNF as it gives people some idea of difficulty perhaps. When I couldn't find it, one other experienced cacher couldn't find it either and George went in to check it...it was still there. Again another example of maybe the DNF's help, maybe they don't.

When it gets right down to it, do whatever works for YOU !

Ron

DNF!! What's a DNF? icon_biggrin.gif

What gets me is when someone goes and lookes for a cache and after not finding it on their first try say's I could'nt find it, It must be gone. I can see if you look a few times and still cant find it Then saying I've looked and looked I't might be gone. But not after only one hunt.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

....are you telling me there's not ONE cache you haven't been able to find?

I seem to remember standing over you at Revenge, Sweet Revenge and pointing you in the right direction.

Guess I'll have to come up with a REALLY GOOD ONE for you flyboy !

Ron

You know you have been at work too long when you almost put DNS icon_smile.gif

OK. This is what I do (like you all care). If I spend what I feel is quite a long time on a cache I will log DNF. If I make it out to the area and someone is having a wedding where the GPS is pointing I will usually post a note (I like funny stories).

A few DNFs in a row usually don't deter me. If I'm in the area, I'm going to go for it.

The only real part I worry about is knowing if someone has been out to the cache. I like to know when someone has looked for it because I like to know where they looked (if they didn't find it). I guess that's just me, but then again, you are just you.

70546_800.gif

...hey Mike !

My comment on RSR was essentially, IF I hadn't pointed you in the right dirction, MAYBE you might have HAD a DNF in your career !

That's Ok, I do have an idea for a cache that might stump you...at least for 20 minutes !

As to when we are going caching again....how about a day when it is drizzling and George has placed one in an area of mossy rocks...that was the last one we were on together I think and we ended up there at two separate times anyway.

Ron

quote:
Originally posted by C&MMorris:

Yes, I have a couple of DNF'S but I did go back and find them.

You'd think with your pride in not posting DNFs you would be one to go check on a cache that is reported missing...

Maybe other peoples' DNFs don't concern you as much as your own?

Sorry about sounding so grumpy, but I have to admit that I am disappointed at the lack of any kind of response to our DNFs at both Michael Jrs and Fern Gully.

George placing bets on me? I can't be everywhere! It may seem like it and I do try though. I do have a schedule that I can change around at times. Like I did yesterday just so I could get the new one in Modesto. Thought I was going to get 2 FTFs in 1 day but I see the Snelling Rest Stop got nabbed by a newcomer that lives in Snelling. I couldn't do that today though, I was committed to going to Lemoore NAS. Georges new one doesn't seem to have been found yet. I see no posts on the new cache so far. Not found today? Well, I have to go to bay area tomorrow and I go by way of Los Banos. Lemme see, 140 leads to LB? why, yes it does! icon_biggrin.gif

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

I always post a DNF. I think others don't because it may make them look dumb that they can't find one. I came to terms with my stupidity years ago and now I'm too old to care. I'd prefer knowing tho, just so I'd have an idea if the cache was still there or not. BTW George, in my reply to the 2 e-mailers I asked if they posted the DNF and asked that they do so and explained why. I notice that one of them did.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I take number of finds into account before I go check on a cache. If a newbie can't find it, it's no big deal, at first. If a vet can't find it, then I start thinking about taking a look.

But I at least like to know with a note that someone is spending time at the cache.

I assume people have fun when they don't find them. I do.

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

If the vet is me, don't take the DNF too seriously. I've been known to miss some pretty easy caches. On the other hand, if I feel that I had given a reasonable search for the cache, I will post the DNF, on the off chance it might be missing. So far, in 289 attempts, of which 276 have been successes, there's only been one cache missing -- and that might still be there.

Marty Fouts

ae6ip

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

I always post a DNF. I think others don't because it may make them look dumb that they can't find one.

Maybe some "others" but certainly not all others! As I stated previously, I could care less if a fellow cacher thinks I am "dumb", or anything else for that matter icon_biggrin.gif I don't do the DNF thing usually just because I don't want to..simple as that. If I hunt three or four times and can't find it, then I will post a DNF or at least make an inquiry about the cache. Wait..I have never hunted that many times..my attention span is not that long!

I just think the whole DNF thing should be left up to each cacher. If you think it is the appropriate thing to do, then do it...and respect others if they make the decision to not do the same as you!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

More on DNF stuff here. After reading Fizzy's post to Mike, I thought of a question. Does a DNF post always deserve a response from the cache owner??? I have had some DNF posts on my caches that I address..others I really don't pay much attention to.

Maybe if there are several DNFs in one day, such as the ones Fizzy, et al, hunted for out by Knight's Ferry, then someone should check on the caches in question to see if they still exist or have gone missing. On the other hand, it certainly isn't out of the question for the cache to still be sitting there even though 3 or 4 people working together couldn't find it. (Think "Squirrel's Stash" and "Good Luck") icon_eek.gif

I guess I will stop for now on the DNF topic...hate to beat a dead ol' horse!

Jaimee

Yes, "some". Just saying that SOME may percieve themselves that way and simply don't want to show it. Just the way some people cannot admit defeat. And, I myself have never thought of any cacher, anywhere, as dumb. Sorry for my poor choice of words. Been up since 4am. Can I go to bed now? icon_rolleyes.gif

No need to apologize Brute!!! It has been said many times before that those who choose to not use the DNF option are too proud, which just happens to be something I totally disagree with.

Now go to bed! icon_biggrin.gif

Jaimee

I don't always expect a response to a DNF. If the cache is known to be exceptionally difficult, or it has been found recently, etc. then no response is probably needed.

However, in the case of the Knight's Ferry caches, there were several circumstances that I feel merited some kind of response.

One of the caches is resportedly quite easy to find, but hadn't been logged since August.

The other cache had no logs of any kind since April. It's hard to believe that nobody has even looked for it since then, so you kinda have to guess that there are several DNFs that never got posted.

Fern Gully's hint is no longer of any use, since all the ferns are dead (well, dormant).

For all of those reasons, I was expecting a response of some kind to our DNF. My experience with Central Valley cachers has always been that they are pretty good about maintaining their caches; hence my dismay.

But my post above was probably way too harsh. Apologies for any offense.

quote:
Originally posted by Brute-Force:

I always post a DNF. I think others don't because it may make them look dumb that they can't find one. I came to terms with my stupidity years ago and now I'm too old to care. I'd prefer knowing tho, just so I'd have an idea if the cache was still there or not. BTW George, in my reply to the 2 e-mailers I asked if they posted the DNF and asked that they do so and explained why. I notice that one of them did.

Haha! I didnt mean to start such a conversation, but im glad I got some input. I have felt the same thing about the whole defeat thing. I think people have a problem with it sometimes. I think it is funny when the previous 10 people have said how easy the cache was and I looked for 30 minutes or longer and couldn't find it. Its always fun! Like Sweet Tarts! I've been out there twice and still cant find the d@mn thing!

...and you are right Jamie, if you want to post, post. If you don't then don't. I was just saying that I like to know when people visit my caches.

And thank you for the comment Brute-Force.

70546_800.gif

Are we adults here? icon_confused.gif I honesly can't believe people are complaining about DNF's.

To me geocaching is a fun game. You win some, you lose some. It's not my life, it's a wonderful pastime where I have met some really great people.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Can't we all just get along??? icon_biggrin.gif

Tammi

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

Thank you Tammi!! As with anything else, there are always a few folks who have to make things not-so-fun for others. The more "rules" or "you shoulds" that are placed on caching, the less folks will participate.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

...the blame game.

These remarks are aimed at no one (or two, or three or four) cachers in particular. If an individual cacher takes offense at what I have to say, that is HIS/HER take on it. Be responsible for your own feelings.

Here goes.

First of all let me say that I sometimes include myself in what I am about to say, as I am human and open to a range of emotions and *failings*.

I take issue with cachers who *blame* the cache placer when they can't find a cache. In my particular case I am sometimes accused of misleading cachers with either my 1) cache name 2) cache description 3)cache size 4)clues. I think that pretty much covers everything I could have done wrong.

1)When I give a cache a name, I try to make it relate to the cache itself and sometimes I try to make it *clever*...a gag on the cache perhaps.

2)I sometimes view a cache description from my perspective and not from perspective of the dozen or so cachers who will go for it. Gee imagine that.

3)Cache sizes are defined by geocaching (unless you make a special note in the description). The micro-cache for instance says...film cannister...but a key-holder is a micro too.

4)Clues..my favorite. They can be obvious...like *look in the log next to the pile of 3 rocks on the right side of the trail*...or they can be totally worthless like....*you don't need a clue*...or they can be tricky....*An Old Chuck Norris movie*.

I get more criticism on my clues than anything else. Sure, it makes me look at them again, but when I see that 10 people found my cache and then cacher number 11 comes along and says...*your clue stinks*...I have to wonder who is to blame for the DNF.

This personal rage directed toward the cache placer is really sad. WE all need to kick ourselves in the butt when we can't find one instead of blaming the cache placer.

I have found myself in the same situation of placing blame, and each time I do, I force myself to take the responsibility and not rag on the cache placer...if I have a *relapse* and I rag on any of you in a public place (cache posts and forums) please remind me to mind my own lecture!

Again, my next example does not necessarily apply to one set of individuals, but if any of you see yourself in this scenario, then it MIGHT be true of you.

When I go caching with my girlfriend or with other cachers (The Modesto area crews) we always let one cacher find the cache and NOT give away the location to the others. WE just walk away..sometimes we place a key or a personal item next to the cache to show we have found it....THEN WE LET THE OTHER CACHERS FIND THE CACHE ON THEIR OWN.

This only makes sense to me for a number of reasons. 1) It gives each person a TRUE hunt for the cache 2) It makes the other two or three cachers' FINDS truly valid. If one person finds it and says HERE IT IS ! the other people haven't *really* found it.

In regard to number 2, I just don't think it's that much fun to go on a group hunt if the first finder just says *I found it*. Sure I get the fun of the walking and talking together, but I don't get the fun of the find. That is probably the one reason I cache by myself most of the time.

Well, that's one long post, but what the heck you all like a good read and a good *discussion* so I hope I made some good points...remember...IT'S IN MY OPINION..and I don't consider that EVERYONE will feel the same way, nor do I truly expect to change the way other people behave...but I'm always hopeful !

Ron

Ron....now venturing into the realm of human behavior! I think I shall call you Dr. Freud from now on!! icon_biggrin.gif

Just kidding, of course...but I am sure you know that already.

I am thinking of maybe trying to find some caches this afternoon (alert the press). I have to go see my hospice patient and then will have the afternoon free.

Anyone have any fun plans for the weekend??

Jaimee (is my attempt at lightening the subject matter working??) icon_cool.gif