Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Originally posted by Motown Goonies:

.....It sounds like a family Event, but I just wanted to make sure. We have a 4 year old and I wanted to make sure there would be other little guys there too. ....

Children are more than welcome. I have a soundproof cage reserved for them. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

JUST KIDDING OF COURSE!!!

Jaimee

Now all of you think I am nuts! I know the page looked different this morning. There was no "Should be archived" and the rest of the note were on a pull down menu. Im not nuts! (i think).

Ok. Welcome to all the new people that have posted here (not that I'm not newer, but things move fast in this game). Can't wait till the party. Much more chattier here is good.

George did you construct that image?

~`Fallen`~

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

Hey...did you all see Fallen's post on the pizza page??? I think he is seeing things!! Shhhhhh...don't tell him I was talking about him!!

I just posted the correct coordinates for Mtn Mike's for those of you who are purists and are going to use your GPSr to lead you there.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

quote:
Originally posted by Fallen:

George did you construct that image?

~`Fallen`~

Kind of, but I'm still working on it. I took some ideas from the the logo for the rest of us thread and changed it a bit.

The thread....

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=3000917383&m=2040964535

The GX logo is the one most people seem to gravitate towards but others think it looks to grafitti-ish, cultish, etc. There was a GeoX logo that rotated the X a bit and got rid a bit of the cult look.

I just took it a little further and turned the g bar into dotted lines and shrunk the x to make it an x marks the spot.

I still need to play with the Central Valley part. Maybe around the G or just squared at top and bottom. Different colors maybe.

Do you like the G dash X part?

george

39570_400.jpg

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

Hey...did you all see Fallen's post on the pizza page??? I think he is seeing things!! Shhhhhh...don't tell him I was talking about him!!

I just posted the correct coordinates for Mtn Mike's for those of you who are purists and are going to use your GPSr to lead you there.

Why would you need an address?

~`Fallen`~

Hello all

I am heading out to take an exam in a bit, and then it's off to Morro Bay for a few days of relaxation!

I have a couple of caches mapped out. There is one that hasn't been found by the last few people to try, so I figure I will take my stupendous central valley caching skills and locate it for them!

I hope everyone has a nice weekend.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

My Italian holiday is rapidly coming to an end ! (too soon).

Here are two recently placed caches. The Cinque Terra is approved, the other is not, as of 10 pm Italy time on Thursday.

Lots of good things going on in the forum here with new cachers and George's terrific looking logo.

Ciao!

Cinque Terra

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=40857

Villa D’ Este

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=40930

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

quote:
Originally posted by ZachNLiam:

George, I'd like to play with it a little. Is it an Illustrator file? Mostly the text. I have that really cool Adobe Font Folio dealy with 1,000s of Adobe fonts....

I really like the graphic!

http://www.garmin.com/graphics/guy.gif

If I send you the large file you'll see how much it needs to be cleaned up. I'll send you some of the files I have.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ivan tomaski:

hey george or randy or ron or anybody,

i just synced my pda for the first time in months. and it came up with nothing? i looked

on the pathetique site and it said the data was stale but does it still work?

kevin

I haven't used that info in a while. I've learned how to use the Pocket Query stuff off of geocaching.com. It works well enough but it's lacking 3 things.

1) It doesn't say what size container it is, so unless it tells you in the write up you're going to have to guess.

2) You can't find the next closest cache.

3) It takes longer to get to the hints.

Otherwise, it's usable.

Plus I can get updates more than once a week and filter out types of caches that I don't want to bother with.

george

39570_500.jpg

I know that Brian is working on another format. He told me awhile back in email to make sure to check the info when you sync since it would be no good eventually. He also said that when he had a solution it would post on the sight as well. It takes some time messing with it, but the pocket queries are usable like George said. Nice to see you back Kevin. icon_biggrin.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

quote:

i just synced my pda for the first time in months. and it came up with nothing? i looked

kevin

I was still using the pathetique site until just a few weeks ago and it worked just fine. Are you sure your AvantGo account still works?

70546_800.gif

quote:
Originally posted by kurtuleas:

I started teaching nights again sO I have NO life, but if you guys are gonna head for the hills Mike, let me know. My new jeep STILL isn't in though....

Geore, I really like the latest CVC graphic.

KURTULEAS

A spot was recomended by the river. I headed out there last week but took a different way in this week and got chased off by an old toothless watchdog. We tried to go in from another route and got chased off.

We headed up some spots in Del Puerto canyon, really steep in spots but not that rocky. It was fun to play for a while. I'm still planning on going deeper into Del Puerto canyon to the officail off road park.

george

39570_500.jpg

quote:

quote:

kevin

I was still using the pathetique site until just a few weeks ago and it worked just fine. Are you sure your AvantGo account still works?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/70546_800.gif

matt,

you hit the nail on the head, my avantgo

wasn't working. the info is probably old to

all of you but it will be good for me since i

haven't been out in months.

thanks,

kk

I had fun today 4 wheelin in the canyon. Next trip George we will have to try deeper in the canyon. Maybe Kurt can bring his jeep along also. We can have a caravan. We need to find a place with alot of mud icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif That would be a real kick. I can clear my schedule for next friday if you want to go again. I have a quick flight in the morning then I'm going to service my Jeep.

Kevin I will save the bug for you. I will call you this weekend.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

quote:

matt,

you hit the nail on the head, my avantgo

wasn't working. the info is probably old to

all of you but it will be good for me since i

haven't been out in months.

thanks,

kk

Always glad to help!

70546_800.gif

quote:

Just thought I would share this with those of you who I have made fun of for losing and breaking things while GeoCaching. Check out my log.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=26271

Hey Matt,

Didn't you drop a cache not too long ago also? We're going to start calling you -Dropped- soon. icon_wink.gif Maybe there's a cache named Nothing But Flashlights. [Just kidding]

Speaking of Flashlights, you don't need one to get the Centroid (and Little Hawaii for that matter). So you can keep night stocking... er, caching... until you retrieve that slipery light.

Bill of Green Achers

"Happy Trails make Happy Tales."

Ok, I have a newbie question for all of you pro's out there. How in the heck do you look and find the caches that are located in VERY public places?? The one that we have been having problems with is "Mickey's Cache". We have been there 4 times now and each time someone is there hanging out or there is alot of cars going by. We have tried night and daytimes. I know that we need to be sly and discreet, but I feel like an idiot out there wandering around!! icon_confused.gif

My question is this (without giving away anything for Mickey's please, I am going to get it one of these days!!): Do you just "Go for it" and don't care what people are thinking or are you out there dressed in black in the middle of the night with a face mask so that nobody can see you?? icon_cool.gif

Last weekend we also tried for "Madness" and while Keith was out there looking around a Modesto Police officer drove by. It was pretty funny, But we got scared off after that. We still need to go back to that one too....

Maybe we just need to be braver.

Miki, Keith and Tyler

Here's what you do...

You have your parter fake a heart attack about 100 ft from the cache. While everyone is attending to the victim, you grab the cache, sign the log, and put it back.

At this point your decoy feels A LOT BETTER, and you both escape before the amublance arives.

Works every time... I promise.

george

39570_500.jpg

If you have kids with you, they are the best decoys! Nobody usually pays attention to kids digging around in weird spots.

I have also been known to drop something and then spends lottttsssss of time picking it up. Carry around a pocket of change and randomly scatter it.

OR..you can always have George stand guard with his headlamp on!

I had a very productive caching time in the Morro Bay area. I found one cache that was a virtual!

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

So the problem the newbees are having is kind of like I'm having with the Blue Bandit... (I'm a newbee too). I have been there no less than a couple dozen times. The darn place is always "manned". (I use that term... well... loosly). LOL George and Ozzy are way too funny! You both made me bust up with your replies. So Thanks.

One of my first thoughts was to get rid of the vegrants. I figured if I just walk up to their cars and tell them I'm car sick, then hurl into their window, they'd loose their focus of why they're there and leave. Then I could cache my heart out. [i'm too chicken to try this - So I've passed by over two dozen times without stopping - They're always there!]

Maybe a combo of George's and Jaimee's plans... I'll bring the kids and let them play on the freeway. Then when they really need an ambulance, I'll be able to hunt that busy Blue Bandit. Oh, the joys of Geocaching. Tally Ho!

Bill of Green Achers

Sounds like the problem I've been having at "no rest stop". Always some morons just sitting in their cars right there. Perhaps 2am might work. The more cache page descriptions I've been reading lately, the more I think I should find out what poison oak looks like! icon_eek.gif Another thing, anyone else have problems with the state map taking so horribly long to load a page? Some times, it never does. Just times out. Takes an hour just to find a few caches to go seek.

If a little Brute Force doesn't work, try using a lot!

Always a tough one really. This is actually a big part of the game. How can you be there and either 1) look normal or 2) not be noticed. Wear orange and bring a clipboard. Wright stuff as you are looking around. 'Pretend' to talk on your cell phone (GPS). Anything you could do to look normal. Creativity is always a good possession... then again so are flashlights, so I guess I cant talk!

70546_800.gif

Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

If you have kids with you, they are the best decoys! Nobody usually pays attention to kids digging around in weird spots.

So true! We have had our one year old find caches! hehe It's the old, "whoops look at the baby crawling over there, we better get down with him and see what he's doing." Works like a charm!

Tammi

guy.gif

cvcth.jpg

It's been kind of a tradition for me to post one time only caches for each holiday but the admin won't approve them any more. The said that that they're so busy now, and it takes so much work to approve a cache that non permanent caches will not be approved.

I may find another way to post it using an archived page or an already existing page.

george

39570_500.jpg

Thank you for all the great replies!!

Basically, we need to send Tyler out to play in the bushes, dress as repairmen while talking into my GPS and have Keith drop some coins while faking a heartattack!! Wow, I am going to have to pull out some of my High-School Drama skills for some of these Urban Caches (If I can remember any from way back then!). icon_biggrin.gif

After lunch we are packing up the bikes and heading out for some (hopfully not busy) caches. Keep your eyes out for us, we shouldn't be to hard to find. Just look for repairmen on bikes...

Miki, Keith and Tyler

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

It's been kind of a tradition for me to post one time only caches for each holiday but the admin won't approve them any more. The said that that they're so busy now, and it takes so much work to approve a cache that non permanent caches will not be approved.

I may find another way to post it using an archived page or an already existing page.

george

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/39570_500.jpg

WHAT?!? That sucks! They need to get more admin or something. So they actually had the time to e-mail you to tell you that they were not going to approve the cache instead of just approving it?

70546_800.gif

(??iginally posted by georgeandmary:

george

Hey George,

Since many locals (that would be hunting it anyway) read this forum thread... just post it here and include the time limit. It will be posted on time and then you can pick up the cache at the end.

So where is it?? Tell me! Tell me! Hummmm???

Bill of Green Achers

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

george

Just thought of something. What if you make it a permanent cache and just put goodies for the FTF in it?

70546_800.gif

quote:

WHAT?!? That sucks! They need to get more admin or something. So they actually had the time to e-mail you to tell you that they were not going to approve the cache instead of just approving it?

I never bothered to submit the cache. I read the forums enough to know the policies. There have been discussion on the forum about one time caches and the new policy of NOT allowing them. So no one emailed me and I didn't submit one.

I'll probablly just hide a nice FAT cache with a good FTF prize that will just become a permenant cache. I'll let everyone one know what it is submitted.

george

39570_500.jpg

Writing this at 6 a.m. on Monday and am disoriented..where's my gps?

We arrived in S.F. at 6:30 Saturday night after a 12 hour flight from Munich. I didn't sleep on the flight so it was a 21 hour day from Rome.

We stayed in S.F. and went to bed at 7 pm and got up at 5 the next morning and drove home.

Sunday I slept from noon to 5 and then from 8:30 to midnight, but have been up since then.

The one-hour daylight savings time is a drop in the bucket compared to the 21 hour day and 12 hour flight.

Good to be home. I am gradually answering emails and such and look forward to life getting back to normal again, though I miss Italy. We had a great time and we were busy every day from 7 am to 11 pm, still we missed a lot. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't see all of Italy in two weeks, but we tried.

See you all soon !

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

Wow..there are already 27 folks for the pizza party! I think I will call and try to get a few more spots because I think there will still be more people checking it out. Should be fun!

Welcome home Ron. I am very jealous of your trip to Italy...that is one of my top places on my "to visit" list!

Have a great week everyone!

Jaimee icon_smile.gif