Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Hi Mary

My guess is that we, Pat and I, won't be going to the road rally. No more mention has been made of it since the big war of words icon_biggrin.gif It probably was more fun to just talk about it anyway!!

I think Mike and Carolyn were going to Monterey for a project she had to complete for CE units or something (do teachers call them "CE units" like the medical field does??). I know that's why they went last weekend..not sure about this weekend.

Anyone interested in a get-together at a restaurant some time in November? Post your thoughts and ideal dates if interested, and I will put it together. A Thursday, Friday or Saturday night is always best for us..or even Sunday afternoon.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

Have any of you noticed the new cachers in the area. I've counted 4 people since the article.

4 Hearts

Motown Goonies

J + B and

The Mick

any other newbies? I'm going to send welcome emails to all the new cachers and point them in the direction of the forum.

george

Pedal until your legs cramp up and then pedal some more.

It will be interesting to see how many, if any, of the new cachers were led to the hobby via the Bee article!

Welcome to the new folks..I know I have had some email correspondence already with at least one of you!

Jaimee icon_biggrin.gif

Before criticizing others, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do the criticizing, you will have their shoes AND be a mile away!

Hey! I got the FAC-PAC today and now I'm waiting to turn my note into a big ol' smile. icon_smile.gificon_razz.gificon_smile.gif My new cache will be approved soon but it's named 'State Quarter/Nates'. (Sounds like State Coordinates).

There are many caches up there but due to the terrain, there could be many more! It's a hiders paradise and a hunters challenge. (I couldn't find one icon_frown.gif )

I think a gathering in November sounds great but it may not work with all the other things in my schedule. No promises but if I can make it, I know it will be a blast.

Bill of Green Achers

"Happy Trails become happy tales."

How does either November 14 or November 15 sound for a dinner get-together? That is a Thursday and Friday.

As for possible meeting places, I am trying to think of places that can accommodate a larger group and that also have decent food. Any ideas anyone??

I thought a pizza place might be good because then everyone can just order what they want, and they are usually big enough to accommodate larger groups. Pat and I were just talking about calling Mountain Mike's on Hatch, next to Raley's, and seeing about maybe reserving some spots once we have a definite date/time/number, etc.

Let us know what you think! The other spots I have in mind are the Peach Tree in Ceres (large back room that I am sure we could use...mediocre food) or P. Wexford's (great food but a bit pricey..kinda small but we could probably reserve spots).

Jaimee

quote:
Originally posted by LuvOzzy:

How does either November 14 or November 15 sound for a dinner get-together? That is a Thursday and Friday.

As for possible meeting places, I am trying to think of places that can accommodate a larger group and that also have decent food. Any ideas anyone??

I thought a pizza place might be good because then everyone can just order what they want, and they are usually big enough to accommodate larger groups.

Jaimee

A weekday gathering may work but it would need to be close to home... close to everyone's home I'd guess but I was talking about mine. Manteca, Ripon or maybe North Modesto (close to the freeway).

I know that's selfish but it's the best we can do.

Bill of Green Achers

"Happy Trails become happy tales."

Any food is fine. As long as I don't have to plan it.

I've sent of email to the new names and I got a reply back that informed me that I already knew one of the new geocachers. We met a couple years ago at a bike race and we were members of the same race team. Go figure.

george

Good point Randy!

Maybe I will coordinate the event under my brother's caching name since he is no longer caching. That way, I can take the find also!!

Jaimee

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:

Anyone interested in a get-together at a restaurant some time in November? Post your thoughts and ideal dates if interested, and I will put it together. A Thursday, Friday or Saturday night is always best for us..or even Sunday afternoon.

Jaimee icon_cool.gif

If you guys decide to go somewhere a vegie can eat I'd be interested.

~`Fallen`~

If there is something to B17ch about I'll make sure you're the first to know.

quote:

I thought a pizza place might be good because then everyone can just order what they want, and they are usually big enough to accommodate larger groups. Pat and I were just talking about calling Mountain Mike's on Hatch, next to Raley's, and seeing about maybe reserving some spots once we have a definite date/time/number, etc.

Let us know what you think! The other spots I have in mind are the Peach Tree in Ceres (large back room that I am sure we could use...mediocre food) or P. Wexford's (great food but a bit pricey..kinda small but we could probably reserve spots).

Jaimee

I have no problem with pizza myself. Either the 14 th or the 15th work just fine for me and I don't care where it is. Everything is easy.

I am beginning to like George's idea about a new thread. What do we do with the old one?

~`Fallen`~

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

is it time for a new thread yet? This one is getting kind of scary and long. I have nightmares of breaking the forum.

george

C'mon George let's shoot for a hundred pages, we can do it. It's the longest thread on the forum, let's not stop it now. icon_razz.gif

My wife says put a coordinate on it and I'll find it.

I will call Mtn. Mikes tomorrow to see if they can accomodate a large group on Thursday, November 14. I figure we can get over there by 5:30-6:00 to nab some tables.

As soon as I talk with them, I will make a cache page.

Jaimee

Count us in Jaimee, If you need any help let me know.

George, The K cache has not been approved yet. When it does I will let you know so you can log your bug.

Kevin, If your out there I have your bug. the moun10bikechain bug. Do you want me to bring it to you or place it in another cache? I got it out of the Funny tree cache in Monterey.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

We went out to meet Pat at the Arrowhead cache and wound up having a little get-together ourselves out there!

We met new cachers The Mick and 4Hearts. I was going to check on the cache if Pat couldn't for a while, but we all met out there instead.

I haven't seen a post from 4Hearts yet. it's definitely a clever and tough cache. I'm still surprised Zach got the FTF here. I don't think I could have found it - at least not easily.

guy.gif

Just looking through the caches near Turlock for recent finds, and I've found 4 MORE new cachers in the area:

Planeta

Shortcircuit

halfdome

Motown Goonies

Be nice if George would email them (not to volunteer you!!!) and let them know what's up. Our next get-together could be pretty big!

guy.gif

Hello all

I just did a page for the pizza party.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=40755

I have room for 30 reserved. I will need to know ASAP if more than that are going to come. If you don't get your name in and we go over 30, then you will need to fend for yourself when you get there! icon_biggrin.gif

Also, the owner of Mountain Mike's said it might make things easier if some of us call in our pizza orders early so they can get a jump start and it won't take forever.

Looking forward to another fun get-together!

Jaimee

Hello again

When you all were new to caching, did you understand the concept behind virtual caches? People keep logging my virtuals without answering the questions, and I am wondering why that is. It seems as if the directions are clear enough on the cache pages, so I don't know if it's just a matter of people thinking answering the questions is an option or what... icon_confused.gif

I have been deleting finds if I don't receive the answers within a few days of the post..especially if I email someone and they don't respond or they respond and say they don't have the answers. Is that mean and nasty of me??

Maybe the newer folks just don't understand the virtual idea...???

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

It's the Mtn Mike's on Hatch Road in Ceres, right next to Raley's grocery store. I figured that would be pretty easy access since it's fairly close to the freeway.

Randy's note about the coordinators of events not being able to log the "find" got me thinking...why don't we log the find when we coordinate an event?? I would think that since we are active participants in the event, it would be perfectly acceptable to go ahead and log it. I had never really given it much thought before or I would have mentioned it sooner.

No different than someone logging their own locationless..right?? icon_razz.gif

Jaimee

I emailed all the new people that you guys had listed..except for J&B...couldn't find them anywhere. Maybe I have it written down wrong though.

It will be nice to see some new faces..hopefully some of them appear at the pizza parlor.

Jaimee

I'm going to log the BBQ. If anyone objects let me know, and if it's a good reason I'll retract it. But I'm with Jamie, I don't see why not.

Found 2 more new cachers also, going through my own finds:

jimnviv

bmikey1

It will be fun to have these newbies at the pizza deal with the superheroes of the CVC to mentor them. lol

guy.gif

I think you should log your "find" Randy..and G&M should log the events they have coordinated as well. It just makes sense to me.

CVC super heroes..hee hee heeeeeeeeeee!! I think we all should assign ourselves super hero names now!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

George could be "Headlight Man", Pat MUST be "Super Tick", Ron can be "The Elder"...I will have to think of good names for others. My name should probably involve something relating to a big mouth and tons of obnoxious opinions icon_eek.gif

Jaimee

quote:

I have been deleting finds if I don't receive the answers within a few days of the post..especially if I email someone and they don't respond or they respond and say they don't have the answers. Is that mean and nasty of me??

Jaimee, I don't think that's mean at all. That is what is expected of a virtual cache owner. It's the equivalent of physical cache maintenance. If you don't delete invalid finds, you do an injustice to those that satisfied the virtual cache's requirements. icon_cool.gif

--Marky

Well, I certainly hope the pizza event gets approved. I rcvd an email showing they had rcvd the "hide" report..but when I click on that, it takes me to our CVC BBQ page! The link shown above takes you to the correct place...but I have no clue how they ended up with that old BBQ page in there.

Thanks for the input on the virtuals Mark.

Jaimee

Finds on event caches are pretty loose. There event caches where people log multiple finds for one event, this usually occures when there are a number of event caches hidden just for that event. As an example.

The golden nuggets that we hid down at knights ferry would be considered by some as indivudual caches. So if you found 6 nuggets that would be 6 finds plus 1 for being there or 7 finds for the event. I don't have a problem with it either way.

It just puts me a little closer to 500 finds.

george

I ran into two new cachers yesterday (LO knows about them) JimnViv. They're great people and I informed them of the pizza outing so maybe they'll make it. I can't but you guys have a great time! icon_biggrin.gif

Did you see that Back From The Dead had 5 finds yesterday? Talk about high traffic. And Bullwinkle had the same five but a couple of us got schooled (I'm rather humbled after giving up for lost, then having three cachers get the find).

I was able to get the FTF at the FAC-PAC (pending the acceptance of my cache). It's a great area for caching and I think it's worth making a day of it (if you like to hunt several at a time... this would be the place).

What do you think about my submitted cache? Does it pass the smell test? State Quarter/Nates

Bill of Green Achers

"Happy Trails make Happy Tales."

One reason I wanted to start a new thread was not to scare off the newbies. I fresh new thread is easier to link to than a 30 page thread. If I send them the link to the last page, the end up jumping in the middle. If I send them the link to the first page then I have to explain about the 30 pages.

A fresh page gives the valley folk a fresh start.

george

quote:

Hello again

People keep logging my virtuals without answering the questions, and I am wondering why that is.

Jaimee icon_smile.gif

I couldn't answer you really. I have had the same problems with my one virtual too. It has happened 3 times now. At least all of the people have contacted me about it when I e-mailed them. Oh well. I don't think deleting is mean at all. icon_smile.gif

~`Fallen`~

I have just been looking on some of the cache pages in Patterson and I noticed some new names in this area too. I don't think they actually live in this area because two of them also found caches in Arizona. Maybe just passing through. Are the others here to stay?

~`Fallen`~

Originally posted by georgeandmary:

I was wondering if anyone was still planning on hitting the rally in December? My husband just notified me that he is planning on us attending. QUOTE]

George and Mary,

We are still planning on going. I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be a blast.

Mike

If it's got wing's, I can fly it!!

For those who haven't checked yet, the pizza party page is up yet. I will change the coordinates later this afternoon...kinda sorta forgot to go by there yesterday on my way to school.

Please post a note on the page if you are planning on attending..and also include how many there will be in your group.

Thanks!

Jaimee

quote:

Please post a note on the page if you are planning on attending..and also include how many there will be in your group.

If you plan to attend an event you should always add it to your watch list so you can see if any changes are made at the last minute. The event host can notify you of changes by placing a note on the cache page and it will automatically update you.

george

39570_400.jpg

Back in Roma after a few days in the Cinque Terra and Pisa area!

The Cinque Terra (five lands) is on the Mediterranean and is an 8 KM hike to five little villages along the coast. Quite a walk, but we loved it. I placed a physical cache there which may or may not get published before we leave Italy on Saturday. Beautiful, colorful little villages. We investigated an abandoned 3 floor building and I liberated a 10 inch square tile which I carried through the rest of the hike and back to Rome.

Pisa was cool ! It leans...didn't have paperwork on the Lean On Me cache, so don't know if I took a pic of the right thing or not for the find.

The other caches I looked for Roman Forum and Pompeii...I couldn't find. High tourist traffic in both spots. Don't think I would have placed caches there for a number of reasons. My mountain hike cache is off a trail about 10 feet...a canister with lapel pins and a great view of a town.

Gotta go...this is the third sign-on with this connection in 20 minutes....

Fizzy...thanks for the Easterly ! The Valet 3 cache should now show in Rome.

Ciao...looking forward to even more PIZZA in the United States !

It is 7 pm Wednesday here...I think about 10 a.m. in the states.

Ron

I've never been lost. Fearsome confused sometimes, but never lost.

[This message was edited by Ron Streeter on October 23, 2002 at 10:25 AM.]

Hi everyone!!

Thanks for the invite to the Pizza Event.

It sounds like a family Event, but I just wanted to make sure. We have a 4 year old and I wanted to make sure there would be other little guys there too.

We should know for sure in the next few days if we can make it or not. I will post on the cache page if we can.

Miki, Keith, and Tyler

quote:
Originally posted by Motown Goonies:

.....It sounds like a family Event, but I just wanted to make sure. We have a 4 year old and I wanted to make sure there would be other little guys there too. ....

Children are more than welcome. I have a soundproof cage reserved for them.

JUST KIDDING OF COURSE!!!

We should know for sure in the next few days if we can make it or not. I will post on the cache page if we can.

Miki, Keith, and Tyler