Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Hi everyone. We've been gone for a while, but have the bug once again. Amazing when I logged in and saw my profile picture, etc. Eight years ago! I'm not sure who we'd know on here anymore, but I noticed Ron is back at it.

Using the Android app "GeOrg" and it makes it SOOOOOO easy. Long gone are the days of punching in coordinates or even looking at the site much! It's all there!

Hope to get in contact with friends from the past as well as new ones!

One advantage is all the caches around me are new to us!!!!

Welcome Back! Nice to hear someone else is using a Android for geocaching. We use a couple Oregons and our Android phone with (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) app. (reference to unauthorized application removed by Groundspeak) developer is great adding improvements almost weekly and really listens to input from users via facebook.

Happy Geocaching!

Team Red Jeep

Wow I guess ground speak does not like the app and let post the name here? Interesting.

Edited by Team Red Jeep

Hi everyone. We've been gone for a while, but have the bug once again. Amazing when I logged in and saw my profile picture, etc. Eight years ago! I'm not sure who we'd know on here anymore, but I noticed Ron is back at it.

Using the Android app "GeOrg" and it makes it SOOOOOO easy. Long gone are the days of punching in coordinates or even looking at the site much! It's all there!

Welcome back!!

Holy Schnikes! It is a name from the past. Long time no see Z&L! Welcome back! Now if we could just get that BOGA guy to do some more caching and maybe George&Mary and it will be just like old times again!

Hi everyone! I have a quick question...I'm approaching cache #1000 and would like to plan a really neat cache for that milestone...any recommendations? For #500 I did National Treasure...not sure if anything can beat that! Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!

If you can take a trip - go to Folsom at night for "Nocturnal Immersion." Take some friends!! :anibad:

Hi everyone! I have a quick question...I'm approaching cache #1000 and would like to plan a really neat cache for that milestone...any recommendations? For #500 I did National Treasure...not sure if anything can beat that! Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks!

If you can take a trip - go to Folsom at night for "Nocturnal Immersion." Take some friends!! :laughing:

I second that motion. it is a very fun cache to do.

Poking my head in here for the first time.... I've been caching for about 4 months and have already run into a few other cachers here in Merced....a couple of the names I even see here. Nice to see a couple others using Android for caching as well.

Poking my head in here for the first time.... I've been caching for about 4 months and have already run into a few other cachers here in Merced....a couple of the names I even see here. Nice to see a couple others using Android for caching as well.

Welcome aboard! There is a local caching group down there in your area. we call them MAC they are the Merced Area Cachers. Be careful though because their ring leader Photom is a very shady character! :blink:

In all seriousness they are a good group of poeple that will most likely help you out in any way possible.

Welcome aboard! There is a local caching group down there in your area. we call them MAC they are the Merced Area Cachers. Be careful though because their ring leader Photom is a very shady character! ;)

In all seriousness they are a good group of people that will most likely help you out in any way possible.

HEY!! I resemble that remark!

Indeed, Markca - welcome aboard. The forum isn't as active as it once was - seems as though folks have tended to migrate to Facebook, along with 500 million others. :blink:

Welcome aboard! There is a local caching group down there in your area. we call them MAC they are the Merced Area Cachers. Be careful though because their ring leader Photom is a very shady character! ;)

In all seriousness they are a good group of people that will most likely help you out in any way possible.

Indeed, Markca - welcome aboard. The forum isn't as active as it once was - seems as though folks have tended to migrate to Facebook, along with 500 million others. :blink:

Welcome aboard! There is a local caching group down there in your area. we call them MAC they are the Merced Area Cachers. Be careful though because their ring leader Photom is a very shady character! :P

In all seriousness they are a good group of poeple that will most likely help you out in any way possible.

Welcome aboard! There is a local caching group down there in your area. we call them MAC they are the Merced Area Cachers. Be careful though because their ring leader Photom is a very shady character! :D

Indeed, Markca - welcome aboard. The forum isn't as active as it once was - seems as though folks have tended to migrate to Facebook, along with 500 million others. :lol:

Thanks for the welcome! So far everyone I've come across has been great and I've been having a lot of fun.

I am originally from Los Banos and when I first started I noticed there were only 2 caches in the entire town. Since I am over there often as I have family over there and I know the town like the back of my hand, I've been giving that area more hides in hopes of giving cachers passing through there something to look for.....and so far, so good. :D

Edited by markca

Welcome aboard! There is a local caching group down there in your area. we call them MAC they are the Merced Area Cachers. Be careful though because their ring leader Photom is a very shady character! :P

Indeed, Markca - welcome aboard. The forum isn't as active as it once was - seems as though folks have tended to migrate to Facebook, along with 500 million others. :lol:

We also have an outside forum. at http://www.cvgeocachers.com/

Though like Photom said poeple aren't using it nearly as much anymore.

I decided that since I only needed about 127 caches to get me to that 1000 mark, I'd start hunting again. After today, I need 3 less. I'll try to get something new out soon also.

Hey Brute! I'm meeting Bill of Green Achers (now known as BOGA) in Turlock tomorrow. Want to tag along? We can have some ice cream with Bill and then find a few more...1,000 here you come.... :(

I can pick you up around 2:30 pm...

I decided that since I only needed about 127 caches to get me to that 1000 mark, I'd start hunting again. After today, I need 3 less. I'll try to get something new out soon also.

Hey Brute! I'm meeting Bill of Green Achers (now known as BOGA) in Turlock tomorrow. Want to tag along? We can have some ice cream with Bill and then find a few more...1,000 here you come.... :(

I can pick you up around 2:30 pm...

No can do. Sounds like it would have been fun. I'm leaving town at 4 am and heading over to Reno to do some work. Be gone all week. Hopefully, I can grab a few over there. Ordered a bicycle handlebar mount for my 60csx and will pick it up at the Offroute.com warehouse in Reno. That's how I got about today. I peddled. And, I'm a bit sore. Need to get back in shape and I think caching again will help.

Where is this power trail at Photom?

Nevada - stick these coords in Google Earth: N 37° 41.647 W 115° 50.004

You will see that, in addition to the power trail, there is a side set of caches that make a picture of an Alien Head on the map.

From Merced - it's about 275 miles as the crow files.

Where is this power trail at Photom?

Nevada - stick these coords in Google Earth: N 37° 41.647 W 115° 50.004

You will see that, in addition to the power trail, there is a side set of caches that make a picture of an Alien Head on the map.

From Merced - it's about 275 miles as the crow files.

So how long do you think it would take to do this run? And is there any thing between the start to the finish? I would probably be happy just hike around the aliens head.

So how long do you think it would take to do this run? And is there any thing between the start to the finish? I would probably be happy just hike around the aliens head.

Stu & Noni said they did it in 14 hours 18 minutes.

They also said to have a full tank of gas, water, etc 'cuz there nuttin' around. :(:lol:

Sorry for the book folks, a lot of this is common sense, but it needs mentioning.

Not to discourage anyone but I thought I’d pass on tips from my experience on this Mega Power Run.

First and foremost, be safe as (and I’ll say this over and over) should you get hurt you’re in the middle of nowhere and help could take hours to get to you. We only saw maybe 15 to 20 other vehicles during our entire run. Also, there are sections of the run where there is no shoulder on the road, and you’ll have to stop on the highway. BE SAFE!!!!

This is open range country, you will encounter cattle and other wild life, the only thing we did not see was snakes but we did see plenty of snake holes. And there were a few hides we had to chase cattle away from.

Weather: on Sunday there was a nasty storm that rolled in (luckily for us, after we had completed the Alien Head). A local (nvtriker) told us the desert turns into almost quicksand after a heavy rain, and you don’t want to get stuck out there.

The Alien Head is in the desert, and will take 3 hours at least to do. If you want to do the power run in one day, come back the next for the Alien Head. Some folks have used 4X4’s for this series I DO NOT recommend doing that, as all it takes to get this whole thing shut down is one LEO or BLM Agent to see you out there. This may be the desert but it is a fragile eco-system.

Make sure your cachemobile is in tip top shape, there is nothing for 60-70 miles from the middle of the run. Should you break down you’ll likely be there for some time.

Have a CB or Ham radio as there is NO cell service. We lost it 20 miles out of Tonopah and did not get any reception until on our way back.

Gas…. Have a full tank at the start, my van which gets 22 mpg hwy, averaged 10 mpg during the run. There are NO gas stations between Ash Springs and Tonopah (approximately 160 miles). Two guys we ran into on the run almost ran out of gas and had to go to Tonopah during their run.

Make sure your PQ is rock solid before you leave. We found gaps of about 20 hides in ours (We used different queries submitted on different days, and both Stu and I had the same blanks). This caused us to have to track the distance on our GPSr’s and then pile out to make the finds.

Things to bring:

Water and Food, we took one cooler of water and soft drinks, and one cooler with food.

First Aid Kit

Batteries (we went through a boat load)

Tools (for the cachemobile)

Extra clothing

High power flashlights

Have Fun, But BE SAFE!

New to geocaching and slightly addicted! :anicute: Looking for some new friends to cache with! I live in the Modesto area. So far have only found 2 caches but I am determined to find as many as possible. Though I could use someone to show me the ropes and teach me not to give a darn about looky-loo's. :D I feel silly searching for some of these things - especially when I can't locate them. I need to know what I am suppose to be looking for really.

So if you're up for new friends shoot me an email! :D smaried@live.com

25 female btw :ph34r:

Come to the CVC event this Saturday and meet a bunch of Central Valley Geocachers. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...dc-f7bcc0be9414

New to geocaching and slightly addicted! :anicute: Looking for some new friends to cache with! I live in the Modesto area. So far have only found 2 caches but I am determined to find as many as possible. Though I could use someone to show me the ropes and teach me not to give a darn about looky-loo's. :D I feel silly searching for some of these things - especially when I can't locate them. I need to know what I am suppose to be looking for really.

So if you're up for new friends shoot me an email! :D smaried@live.com

25 female btw :ph34r:

Gratz Bill!!!! And Fizzy too of course.

And tat lock is kinda funny.

ohh and what is this I see. the elusive Ted & Rosa gracing us with their presence? How have you guys been?

Kenny! Thanks for the howdy. Sorry it took so long to acknowledge, I just now looked at the forum again. We aren't doing a lot of caching, though we just found some fun caches up at the summit of hwy 4. Hope all is well with you.

Welcome aboard! There is a local caching group down there in your area. we call them MAC they are the Merced Area Cachers. Be careful though because their ring leader Photom is a very shady character! :laughing:

Indeed, Markca - welcome aboard. The forum isn't as active as it once was - seems as though folks have tended to migrate to Facebook, along with 500 million others. :)

We also have an outside forum. at http://www.cvgeocachers.com/

Though like Photom said poeple aren't using it nearly as much anymore.

The outside forum has been taken offline.

they guy that was running it did not want to pay for it anymore. He was trying to get someone to buy it from him but got no takers. I like this one anyway. there is the one on FB that I started last year but after my FB account got all messed up and had to create a new one. now there is no admin and I can not even post on there. How crazy is that. LOL

Regarding Mega Run. I heard that it is better to do the alien head at night. Is this correct? I am going to do it the weekend of the 22nd of October...

Edited by GO CACHN

can anyone help with GSAK. i am trying to run the stats gen macro and it keeps doing it up to a date in 2009 I have read and tried to figure out why it will not do any update from them. I am so confused. any help would be appreciated. I also have the newest version on GSAK..

they guy that was running it did not want to pay for it anymore. He was trying to get someone to buy it from him but got no takers. I like this one anyway. there is the one on FB that I started last year but after my FB account got all messed up and had to create a new one. now there is no admin and I can not even post on there. How crazy is that. LOL

Regarding Mega Run. I heard that it is better to do the alien head at night. Is this correct? I am going to do it the weekend of the 22nd of October...

no. I would do the alien head in the daytime. There are many low cactus and cactus type plants there.

However.... Each cache has reflective tape on the holder, and you will be able to spot them easily with a bright flashlight at night. It would be quite safe and scary at night. Remember....it's over 5 miles in total.

That beats me on a few levels, Ted. I've never found a cache outside of USA and I haven't found three (or one even) since Greg and I had our super fun day. In spite of taking gun fire at one cache, DNF on a the second stage of a multi that hadn't been found in over two years, and getting locked out in the wilderness for 3 hours... I'm still looking forward to going out again. :grin: