Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

A tale of a newb geocacher still learning his senses. Was trying to findUrban Commando its pretty well hid. I'm looking through shrubs, and dirt and everything. I think it was about 110 out almost! I must have spent like 10 minutes looking for it. So I gave up came home and read the logs, all of them. Now I'm going back tomorrow and attempt it.

When you guys started, did you search and search until you got your geosenses?

A tale of a newb geocacher still learning his senses. Was trying to findUrban Commando its pretty well hid. I'm looking through shrubs, and dirt and everything. I think it was about 110 out almost! I must have spent like 10 minutes looking for it. So I gave up came home and read the logs, all of them. Now I'm going back tomorrow and attempt it.

When you guys started, did you search and search until you got your geosenses?

What do you mean when I started - I still search and search and log DNFs. Had 2 yesterday, along with 40 finds.

Geosense is mighty fickle. (However, I will say that caching in 110 degree heat show signs of severe addiction.) :D

Ya, Photom get's to meet new people every day... if you know what I'm saying. :D

I noticed Geocaching has a new feature (which I'm not sure they've released yet) to help cachers find/book hotels. It includes Geocaching data around the hotel and such information that one of us would be interested in [when choosing our vacation destinations - LOL]. Take a look at this CVC centered Hotel. To find more, look at this US Map. :)

Ya, Photom get's to meet new people every day... if you know what I'm saying. :)

I noticed Geocaching has a new feature (which I'm not sure they've released yet) to help cachers find/book hotels. It includes Geocaching data around the hotel and such information that one of us would be interested in [when choosing our vacation destinations - LOL]. Take a look at this CVC centered Hotel. To find more, look at this US Map. :D

I did not know there was that many points of interest in Ripon.

It wasn't down for maintenance. There was a fire in the building that knocked out the power. Elias posted updates on the Groundspeak thread. However, if it was down there was no way of any one of us knowing about it. Though at least we now know why.

I was getting frustrated. My initial thought was those of us that have "Premium Memberships" have it for the convenience of all the little perks but also to help as Groundspeak says "to keep the website updated with bigger and better servers". If there are so many of us with Premium Memberships than why is it down so much. However, this time it wasn't their fault. I am just glad no one was hurt. When it comes to a fire, who cares about servers just as long as no one was injured.

I threw this out on our forum but thought I should put it in here also. I was wondering if anyone had any interest in starting up a softball team of Geocachers. I would love to play although I am not looking to coach or manage. Ya know I do realize that by suggesting the idea it makes you defacto manager but I really have no ambition other to play. My life is busy enough with my union, starting a business and trying to lose weight by playing some softball. I have still after a year and a half to hit 100 Caches. Anyway am I barking up the wrong tree?

Depending on time/dates, I may be in. Sounds like fun.

I threw this out on our forum but thought I should put it in here also. I was wondering if anyone had any interest in starting up a softball team of Geocachers. I would love to play although I am not looking to coach or manage. Ya know I do realize that by suggesting the idea it makes you defacto manager but I really have no ambition other to play. My life is busy enough with my union, starting a business and trying to lose weight by playing some softball. I have still after a year and a half to hit 100 Caches. Anyway am I barking up the wrong tree?

Adventures in Geocaching (Newb Style)

After work this morning I thought it would be great to plot some caches and head out on my journey. My wife while getting ready for work thought I was crazy but I was determined to hit some up. Although the good "Geocache Navigator" is on her phone, so I have to rough it with hand drawn maps from the satellite images and my trustworthy "Tom Tom" *cough cough*.

7 A.M

Traffic is light and the sun is bright. I arrive to my first destination and nab it, no problem! 2nd and 3rd locations . . . . sprinkler's galore, so I evade those caches. Then my inexperience kicks in. My next few destinations I look around for the caches and they are not as easy as I thought they would be. I am also tired and starting to realize "hey this isn't as fun alone".

8 A.M

So as I log my one cache that I had found I thought I may share my experience with you guys and reach out. I'd like to go on some caches with some of you who have had some experience at this. If any one would be willing to take a newb on let me know. :unsure:

Hey Chillin,

There is an event this Saturday. It's a simple and relaxing event in Manteca. Often either before or after cachers gather together to grab some caches. That would be a great place for you to meet some of us. I hope to see you there!

Oh darn, my wife and I have a birthing class that is from 9am-5pm. It was suppose to be 2 weeks ago but the teacher was ill.

Darn it. Missed the event but was back in town in time to catch the tail end group caching afterwards.

After our first find together, I spotted some new cachers. No one else thought they were but I left my card on their vehicle anyway. Turns out they are... Welcome to CVC LambChoppy!

BTW, Who in samhill would name a cache 'Out in Plain Sight'?! :)

Seems like BOGA hasn't lost it all yet. Not only did he recognize new cachers he also found some caches. The event and caching was a blast and we always look forward to invading CVC area

sorry for the post above thought I was logged in but again thanks for all the hospitality and guided tour of Manteca

Bi-polar :)

:(:D:ph34r:

Chillen if you want I am off on thursday and I am planning on caching around manteca for a bunch of ones that I do not have. you want to meat up I will be out a god part of the day till about 4pm. Let me know

Umm, what Greg is sayin' here:

"Chillen, I can't find a bunch of caches and would like someone who has better geosense that I do - to help me."

:(:D

Chillen if you want I am off on thursday and I am planning on caching around manteca for a bunch of ones that I do not have. you want to meat up I will be out a god part of the day till about 4pm. Let me know

Umm, what Greg is sayin' here:

"Chillen, I can't find a bunch of caches and would like someone who has better geosense that I do - to help me."

:lol:;)

:(

Funny Tom LOL

Hey if anyof you do Face book I started a group called Central Valley Geocaching. if your interested. I had a great time caching in Turlock today. there was 5 of us. I think I could of found all these without any help though.

Hey can you post the link to that group I can't seem to find it on there.

thanks

I guess if we want action on this site or any other we have to create it!

So I will post another Newb Story!

Actually not much newbness to tell. Just getting new caches learning of the different type of containers and hiding spots for them. Finding some clever and not so clever caches. Well I should say they are clever until you learn the secret. I enjoy the ones where I have to go back 3 or 4 times before I find it. It is challenging and rewarding when you finally find it!

I've found everyone in the area is pretty cool and respond to emails about their caches for hints or whatnot.

Actually not much newbness to tell. Just getting new caches learning of the different type of containers and hiding spots for them. Finding some clever and not so clever caches. Well I should say they are clever until you learn the secret. I enjoy the ones where I have to go back 3 or 4 times before I find it. It is challenging and rewarding when you finally find it!

I've found everyone in the area is pretty cool and respond to emails about their caches for hints or whatnot.

As some of you know, a cache was blown up by the Merced PD bomb squad in mid-July. Since then, by invitation, I briefed 4 shift changes of officers about our sport. There was a variety of feelings and comments, but overall, I'd say we are all on the same side.

The best comment I heard was that, "When you guys learn to hide them well enough so that regular folks or we (the police) can't find them, there will be no problem."

So - HIDERS, start hiden' 'em really good. :huh::laughing:

As some of you know, a cache was blown up by the Merced PD bomb squad in mid-July. Since then, by invitation, I briefed 4 shift changes of officers about our sport. There was a variety of feelings and comments, but overall, I'd say we are all on the same side.

The best comment I heard was that, "When you guys learn to hide them well enough so that regular folks or we (the police) can't find them, there will be no problem."

So - HIDERS, start hiden' 'em really good. :D:D

Very well put Tom. This one was a good hide and container too.

So - HIDERS, start hiden' 'em really good. :D:D

Now I feel obligated! :D:D Let's see... how about a micro under a table held on by gum in a donut shop?! :anitongue:

Anyone have some good muggle stories while caching? So far I just get weird looks from people when I am searching. I try to avoid high muggle areas while caching in the daytime and maybe hit it up later in the evening. Today I was doing a LP cache and this couple must have drove past me 3 times staring trying to figure out what I was doing. Then they parked not too far and kept staring. lol

Anyone have some good muggle stories while caching? So far I just get weird looks from people when I am searching. I try to avoid high muggle areas while caching in the daytime and maybe hit it up later in the evening. Today I was doing a LP cache and this couple must have drove past me 3 times staring trying to figure out what I was doing. Then they parked not too far and kept staring. lol

I think it's time for WolfGrrl, the Hubby and Go Cachin to share [with chillin209] their 9 carloads of muggles in Visalia. I need another laugh. :laughing:

from page 185 of the forum here. There are many more post regading it I think but here is the start of it

As Reported on the Othe CVgeocacher forum.

Visalia Police Crack Down

In response to an increase in thefts of recyclable metals Visalia police have enlisted community assistance in their efforts to apprehend these brazen thieves. Just last night a tip from a local resident led to police detaining and questioning one suspicious group seen lurking around local fields examining electrical boxes. Six squad cars, including two tactical units, responded in support of this critical effort. In the end it was determined that this particular group was not metal thieves but in fact simply a group of geeks participating in the game known as geocaching.

"I had to explain what geocaching was" said a member of the group identified as Nascar Fam. "They had never heard of it."

The driver of the vehicle, a suspicious looking character known as The Hubby, allowed officers to search the vehicle. "They asked me if I had any of my own wire in the car. Usually I never leave the house without a fifty foot spool of insulated copper wire. Fortunately today I had to leave it behind to make room for the cooler."

I'm sure at the time it almost seemed like a lynching but afterwards I'm sure it was quite amusing looking back on it. B)

Actually that wasn't funny until we were cleared. It was more like "Is this really happening?". That was one of my favorite caching adventures. I've been stopped several times by cops. Although GO CACHN holds the record for being stopped by cops! :anibad: