Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Hey guys,

I have wanted to post here for some time now. I think I have finally figured it out. I have known about caching for a couple of years now but only started actively caching earlier last year. I have been talking to BOGA, and am looking forward to meeting more cachers in the Modesto area.

So happy belated New Years!

David, aka DJFRANCIS :lol:

I was able to get a good friend of mine and sometimes co worker to come caching with me, we meet SBJunky at a site and co FTF with him. I really liked him and thought he was a nice guy. But who would of known my friend Brandon who goes by "lil smokie" would come up with 3 FTF on his first outing? I had an astounishing 6 FTF's. What a day

Edited by djfrancis

Ok the Travel bug rules are posted on the Cvgoeocahers page. Lets have some fun with this.

Here are the rules agian

1. This Race is open to all Geocachers

a. All Travel Bugs must be registered At the Febuary Event

b. There is a limit of two Travel Bug Racers per Person.

c. All Travel Bug Races must have a Groundspeak Tracking Number. All other tracking services are prohibited.

d. All Travel Bugs must have 0 miles before the start of the race.

e. All Travel Bugs must be present at the February Event - Note that the owners do not have to be present at the event. Please make arrangements to have your Travel bug present at the event.

f. At the event the bug will be tagged as to being in the 2009 CVC Travel Bug Race.

g. At the end of the event the owners will collect their own racers and place them in a cache of their choosing as quickly as possible.

h. The race is over In November. Awards and prizes will be handed out at that time

2. Once placed, the owner is no longer physically able to move their Travel Bug. Owners may "end their race" by retrieving their Travel Bug. Once the owner has "picked up" their bug they cannot place it in another cache.

3. Participants of this Race may not move or impede the progress of any competitor’s bugs.

4. Participants of this Race may not create sock puppet accounts in order to move their own bug. There are no hand-offs allowed. Movement of a racer by a participant's spouse, child, parent, brother or sister,

5. All transportation of the Travel Bug is to occur naturally. Ideally one cacher will move the racer to a cache where another cacher will pick it up and repeat the process. Bouncing of a travel bug from cache to cache by the same cacher is strongly discouraged and will result in a disqualification if it is deemed excessive by the judges.

6. The Travel Bug Racer is required to physically visit geocaches and be hand carried by a cacher. No snail mail. No FedEx. No UPS.

7. Due to the difficulty in determining if a Travel Bug has gone missing, the racers are not allowed to be relaunched with a COPY tag or other copy of the tracking number.

8. Violations of rules 1 through 7 will result in a disqualification of the offending owner’s Travel Bug Racer. When a Travel Bug is disqualified by the Judges it is out of the competition. Period. There are no appeals.

Prizes will be awarded to the travel bug that:

Accumulated the most miles

Most miles and returned to owner

Visits the most caches

Visits the most States in the US

Visits the most countries outside the US

With the least amount of miles

The People's Choice Travel Bug

I should have the event posted this week. DO NOT DROP YOUR BUG IN THE EVENT. it needs to have zero miles on it when you drop it. So order your TB tag.

Edited by GO CACHN

Ok the Travel bug rules are posted on the Cvgoeocahers page. Lets have some fun with this.

Here are the rules agian

1. This Race is open to all Geocachers

a. All Travel Bugs must be registered At the Febuary Event

b. There is a limit of two Travel Bug Racers per Person.

c. All Travel Bug Races must have a Groundspeak Tracking Number. All other tracking services are prohibited.

d. All Travel Bugs must have 0 miles before the start of the race.

e. All Travel Bugs must be present at the February Event - Note that the owners do not have to be present at the event. Please make arrangements to have your Travel bug present at the event.

f. At the event the bug will be tagged as to being in the 2009 CVC Travel Bug Race.

g. At the end of the event the owners will collect their own racers and place them in a cache of their choosing as quickly as possible.

h. The race is over In November. Awards and prizes will be handed out at that time

2. Once placed, the owner is no longer physically able to move their Travel Bug. Owners may "end their race" by retrieving their Travel Bug. Once the owner has "picked up" their bug they cannot place it in another cache.

3. Participants of this Race may not move or impede the progress of any competitor’s bugs.

4. Participants of this Race may not create sock puppet accounts in order to move their own bug. There are no hand-offs allowed. Movement of a racer by a participant's spouse, child, parent, brother or sister,

5. All transportation of the Travel Bug is to occur naturally. Ideally one cacher will move the racer to a cache where another cacher will pick it up and repeat the process. Bouncing of a travel bug from cache to cache by the same cacher is strongly discouraged and will result in a disqualification if it is deemed excessive by the judges.

6. The Travel Bug Racer is required to physically visit geocaches and be hand carried by a cacher. No snail mail. No FedEx. No UPS.

7. Due to the difficulty in determining if a Travel Bug has gone missing, the racers are not allowed to be relaunched with a COPY tag or other copy of the tracking number.

8. Violations of rules 1 through 7 will result in a disqualification of the offending owner’s Travel Bug Racer. When a Travel Bug is disqualified by the Judges it is out of the competition. Period. There are no appeals.

Prizes will be awarded to the travel bug that:

Accumulated the most miles

Most miles and returned to owner

Visits the most caches

Visits the most States in the US

Visits the most countries outside the US

With the least amount of miles

The People's Choice Travel Bug

I should have the event posted this week. DO NOT DROP YOUR BUG IN THE EVENT. it needs to have zero miles on it when you drop it. So order your TB tag.

We dont have a bug to enter so we could help out on the judge part?....more tar and feathers!! :unsure:

I will be ordering some TB TAGS to put on the bugs if you want me to order one let me knowon saturday. they are cheaper if I order more than 8 at one time. Remember there is a prize for the best TB by a vote of everyone. so Think of a good idea.

I wouldnt mind getting one from you. Do you know how much they are.

I sure hope geo bandits has a sense of humar :huh::unsure::anibad:

I guess I should not tell all of you I have like 30 or 40 more of them to put out. But dont worry thats not all I have..hummmm just have to wait and see...I have also tried to post a few other types however the geo gods said no :lol: and I have to work out some bugs... :unsure:

This will be one event not to miss. If you have not heard my wife sing. you do not want to miss her in the talent show...

Unfortunately, The Hubby & I will not be making it. We will be cleaning out my dad's house as he passed away last Saturday. Super Grrl and her BFF, Beedledoo will be there. We will more than likely be there at the end to help clean up. However, we will not be dressed in Coutoure. At least that way we still get to claim it as "attended". This sucks too since the awards portion is my thing. Deranja's offered to have it held at their event so I took them up on it.

Is someone going to record this?

We sure are going to miss everyone! Have fun!

If you have not figured out Bills latest puzzle cache you need to. Very nicely done. It was a brisk walk this morning at 6:30am.

So these puzzles have never worked for me. Every one I know would see things in them but me. Any hint you could give me to move forward on this without ruining it?

Copy the photo to your computer so you can open it up and make it bigger. Geocaching limits the photo size which ruins the effect but not the quality. Zoom in and see the magic.

[Just a little hint. :) ]

Sorry to read about the Wolf pack. We're praying for your family. :blink:

THANK YOU to everyone that gave me their condolences, well wishes, and prayers over the recent loss of my father. It was very comforting to hear them all. I appreciate it and it is a true blessing to have such great friends in the geocaching world!

I wish we would've seen more of you at the AWESOME event last night! Deranja's put on a very classy event. Top notch! Keep your eyes out for pics because I'm sure people will start posting soon.

Edited by Wolf Grrl

Central Valley Cachers: 2008 Award Winners

For those who couldn't attend last night's excellent Winter Formal (thanks again Deranja) here's a list of the award winners:

Best Traditional Cache: WWTD #2; by PlantPeddler

Best Micro Cache: Short Term Parking; by Radikel

Best Multi-Cache: Pirates of the San Joaquin River; by RunningWolph

Best Mystery Cache: Gold Rush “Puzzle” Cache; by Isolino

Best Puzzle Cache: CSU Stanislaus Letterbox Pictorial; by Cooties!

Best Urban Cache: Balboa; by Super Grrl

Best camouflage: Two Mavericks and That’s No Bull; by BlindbutnowIsee

Best Theme-Individual Cache: RMG is Here!; by Deranja

Best Theme-Series: CVBR Series; by Wolf Grrl

Most Innovative Cache: Now You See It, Now You Don’t; by HappyToBeFirst

Best Event: Smores n’ Snores III – The Real Deal; by MAC (Photom & JPD43)

Edited by The Hubby

I sure hope geo bandits has a sense of humar :D:ninja::P

I guess I should not tell all of you I have like 30 or 40 more of them to put out. But dont worry thats not all I have..hummmm just have to wait and see...I have also tried to post a few other types however the geo gods said no :) and I have to work out some bugs... :grin:

30 or 40 is that all???? I've got at least 800 of those....... :D:laughing::laughing:

SINCE NOT EVERYONE CRUISES THE CVC FORUM I THOUGHT I WOULD POST IT HERE TOO.

Deranja came up with a great idea! They thought that the CVC should have a tote that would hold general supplies that can be moved from event to event. That way not one cacher would have to spend a ton of money on one event when it can be shared between events.

Such as: raffle tickets, serving utensils, maybe vinyl tablecloths, tapes (scotch, duct), cleaning wipes, twine, stapler w/staples, sharpie's, pens, travel bug bucket, garbage bags, foil, ziploc baggies, raffle bucket (that can easily be decorated to suit the specific event), etc...

I would also like it to include the CVC banner. I've been told one exists but have yet to see it. It didn't make it to GW6 or any other events. I would like to see the CVC be seen & represented at all of our events. It would be nice if the banner can stay in the CVC tote and be passed around from event to event. Whomever has it, can it please go in the tote? If not, whomever has the logo can I please have the logo so I can have one made that can go in the CVC Event Tote?

At first it may cost us $5.00 per cacher to help supply it and then probably even less to maintain it throughout the year. It could be kept in my garage. I only offer it up since I am home most of the time, and most of you know where I live (Welcome Home). I would not have any problem having a cacher come by to pick it up and then again to return it after their event.

I thought it was a great idea and would like it to happen. Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions?

I AM GOING TO ALSO POST THIS AGAIN SINCE I KNOW NOT EVERYONE SURFS THE CVGEOCACHERS SITE.

Ok...I really want to work hard on fine tuning the awards process for next year. As many of you know, I got the idea from Houston Geocaching Society. I just surfed their forum and found this:

2008 Houston Geocaching Awards

Nominating caches.

Please PM me with your nominations. You can PM as many times as you would like, please put in the subject line NOMINATION.

Any member of the geocaching community is allowed to nominate caches. Please review the qualifications before submitting. This will help the nominating committee.

Their will be no more than 5 caches/groups per category for voting. In the event that more than 5 caches/groups are nominated. The nominating committee will verify that each entrant is approved for inclusion. The geocaching community will have a run-off to determine the top five caches/groups. This will take place in a one (1) week time frame.

Voting will be a three (3) week time frame.

The awards will be given out at an event yet to be determined.

Yearly Awards.

Categories:

Most Physically Challenging Cache - One which involves a hike of 2 miles or more, or the physical exertion of climbing hills, ditches, long bushwhacking.

Best Themed Individual Cache - not part of a series, but has specific swag trading requests. This would include TB hotels, coin depots, pathtag exchanges, as well as others. Or one where the container and the surrounding area are a theme.

Best Themed Series - 2+ individual, linked by theme

Most Scenic Area - a breathtaking view of nature something beautiful you might have missed without the cache. Unusual, beautiful natural area that you wouldn't know existed (or probably wouldn't have gone to) if the cache wasn't there

Best Urban Cache - a cache cleverly hidden in an urban setting. no more than 20 percent vegetation in the surrounding mile radius. One that makes you feel like you are super secretive playing a super secretive game

Best Camo Cache – Can either be urban, rural, etc.

Best Night Cache – Uses fire tacks or similar. Can ONLY be done at night.

Best Cache for Tourist - a cache that takes you to a place that would be of interest to tourists: i.e. a museum, historical monuments, memorials: Cache at a place that isn't in the Guidebooks, but would be worth the visit.

Best Traditional Cache – Any size acceptable

Best Multi Cache – Involves using a redirect to locate final coordinates.

Best Event Cache - Must have been held during time frame

Best Puzzle Cache – Self explanatory.

Boundaries:

Caches must be in the following counties to be nominated: Harris, Galveston, Brazoria, Ft. Bend, Montgomery, Waller, Chambers, Liberty, San Jacinto and Walker.

Qualifications:

Caches/events must have been placed/held between 10-1-07 and 9-30-08.

Nominations will run through 10-31-08.

The run-off will run from 11-01-08 through 11-07-08.

The voting will run from 11-08-08 through 11-30-08.

Must be an active cache and remain active during the nomination and voting periods (excluding event caches).

Can be either member’s only or regular caches

Must be within the counties listed.

If a cache is disabled during the voting period for maintenance, it will not be disqualified. If it is disabled for more than 2 weeks, it will be disqualified. (This does not pertain to event caches).

HALL OF FAME

Categories: (Follows the same guidelines as above)

Most Scenic Area

Best Camo Cache

Best Night Cache

Best Cache for Tourist

Best Traditional Cache

Best Multi Cache

Boundaries:

Caches must be in the following counties to be nominated: Harris, Galveston, Brazoria, Ft. Bend, Montgomery, Waller, Chambers, Liberty, San Jacinto and Walker.

Qualifications:

Caches/events must have been placed/held prior to 9-30-07.

Nominations will run through 10-31-08.

The run-off will run from 11-01-08 through 11-07-08.

The voting will run from 11-08-08 through 11-30-08.

Must be an active cache and remain active during the nomination and voting periods (excluding event caches)

Can be either member’s only or regular caches

Must be within the counties listed.

If a cache is disabled during the voting period for maintenance, it will not be disqualified. If it is disabled for more than 2 weeks, it will be disqualified. This does not pertain to event caches.

BEST BUSHWHACK STORY

– Please submit your best bushwhack story for a special award. Include logs or pics if possible.

What do you all think? Your thoughts, opinions, & suggestions are very much welcomed and appreciated. I want next years to be better and run more smoothly. Especially would like MORE nominations!

OK ANOTHER POST JUST IN CASE YOU DON'T SURF THE OTHER SITE. CAN YOU TELL I DON'T FEEL GOOD , I'M JUST POSTING LIKE CRAZY!

Ok...another idea from Houston Geocachers. Every month they hold an event for the entire months of geocachers birthdays. It's a simple event held at a restaraunt somewhere (locations & cachers that organize it rotate) and a cake with all the cachers name on it.

I thought how nice to have a guaranteed event once a month and to celebrate our cacher's at the same time! Who doesn't love an event? I say let's go for it. So that would make Janurary's to be held either on January 31st or February 1st (oops maybe not that is the day of the Super Bowl). Also, the event does not have to be held at the end of the month, just sometime during or right after that month being celebrated. It is also not an expensive event as cachers would pay for their own food and just chip in for the cake. Costco makes great cakes for not much money at all!

What do you all think?

That being said: Who has a birthday in Janurary? I know one of the Blindbutnowisee gang has one on the 21st. Who else?

OK ANOTHER POST JUST IN CASE YOU DON'T SURF THE OTHER SITE. CAN YOU TELL I DON'T FEEL GOOD , I'M JUST POSTING LIKE CRAZY!

Ok...another idea from Houston Geocachers. Every month they hold an event for the entire months of geocachers birthdays. It's a simple event held at a restaraunt somewhere (locations & cachers that organize it rotate) and a cake with all the cachers name on it.

I thought how nice to have a guaranteed event once a month and to celebrate our cacher's at the same time! Who doesn't love an event? I say let's go for it. So that would make Janurary's to be held either on January 31st or February 1st (oops maybe not that is the day of the Super Bowl). Also, the event does not have to be held at the end of the month, just sometime during or right after that month being celebrated. It is also not an expensive event as cachers would pay for their own food and just chip in for the cake. Costco makes great cakes for not much money at all!

What do you all think?

That being said: Who has a birthday in Janurary? I know one of the Blindbutnowisee gang has one on the 21st. Who else?

Ok...I spoke to my sister and asked about the details of their birthday events. Geocachers pick what month they want to host and they choose the restaraunt and attendees pay for their own food and the ONLY expense the host has is a cake. My sister when she hosted she made cupcakes for everyone.

That is a simple event at little cost to the host/hostess.

I volunteer to host January's. Who can host February?

I like this idea because it gives us a guaranteed one event a month. In our area, events tend to be few and far in between. I hope you all will join in on this!

Sounds like my family would be up for this type of gathering. No one here has a february bday though. Count on us in either May, June, october, or November. May is the big 40 for me so I would really like to host that month.

You can have May. It is the BIG 40 for me too! It's going to be a GREAT party! :cry: