Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Let's go again! B) Did I say that?

When are we all going? Give me a month to catch up on my sleep and I will be ready. Well maybe not. It was so much fun. I too want to thank the academy. For team pilot who put together this list together to make this run possible. To 2 forthe road for their one life line. To the Visalia Police Department for their Prompt response to a Neighborhood Watch program that worked so well and for the adrenalin rush to help us keep going. Wish I would of thought about getting a picture with them before we left. For Wolfgrrl for making up sandwiches and all the other stuff she did to make this run possible. For The Hubby and wolfgrrl for Driving and using their vehicle to make this run possible. Once agian Thanks for the Great time Judd, Kim, and Skyler. You all made this a great trip. Greg

Edited by Nascar Fam

As Reported on the Othe CVgeocacher forum.

Visalia Police Crack Down

In response to an increase in thefts of recyclable metals Visalia police have enlisted community assistance in their efforts to apprehend these brazen thieves. Just last night a tip from a local resident led to police detaining and questioning one suspicious group seen lurking around local fields examining electrical boxes. Six squad cars, including two tactical units, responded in support of this critical effort. In the end it was determined that this particular group was not metal thieves but in fact simply a group of geeks participating in the game known as geocaching.

"I had to explain what geocaching was" said a member of the group identified as Nascar Fam. "They had never heard of it."

The driver of the vehicle, a suspicious looking character known as The Hubby, allowed officers to search the vehicle. "They asked me if I had any of my own wire in the car. Usually I never leave the house without a fifty foot spool of insulated copper wire. Fortunately today I had to leave it behind to make room for the cooler."

Yes, that was definitely an experience. Never before have I been in a vehicle literally surrounded by cops.

Gee, my surprise. The three of you (Team Bail) corrupting poor little Super Grrl. At least the article correctly described The Hubby. B)

One thing I'm now wondering, why is it always the North CVC folks that get to educate the authorities?! B)

I am glad they didn't do that to me while I was in Visalia. I would have declined to allow them to search my vehicle and I would have had a Glock in my waistband! Of course they would have probably kept me longer, but I am civil rights nut.

My record is 53 finds in a day. I guess I need to step it up!

I am glad they didn't do that to me while I was in Visalia. I would have declined to allow them to search my vehicle and I would have had a Glock in my waistband! Of course they would have probably kept me longer, but I am civil rights nut.

I'm all for civil rights as well. What is the point for being difficult? We had nothing to hide so let them search. To carry a Glok you need a permit and not one of us have that.

If only the cops responded to calls around here like in Visalia! The cops here don't give a hoot about anything.

The Visalia local cachers need to educate their law enforcement on geocaching. I've been stopped before and I told them I was geocaching and they would say "Ah...ok be careful and have fun". Not these cops man they surrounded the vehicle with flashlights in hand and spot lights shining brightly in our vehicle. It was an experience.

I'm all for civil rights as well. What is the point for being difficult? We had nothing to hide so let them search. To carry a Glok you need a permit and not one of us have that.

If only the cops responded to calls around here like in Visalia! The cops here don't give a hoot about anything.

The Visalia local cachers need to educate their law enforcement on geocaching. I've been stopped before and I told them I was geocaching and they would say "Ah...ok be careful and have fun". Not these cops man they surrounded the vehicle with flashlights in hand and spot lights shining brightly in our vehicle. It was an experience.

Oh how sweet that would have been to have those Manteca muggers (that's muggles that actually rob you) meet our hero, elrojo14. But no, they had to roll new-bee cachers instead.

"You want all my what? You must mean THIS!" [it must be nice to have a permit to pack!] :unsure:

You call it difficult, I call it exercising my rights. I am not faulting you and if I were being difficult, it might have certainly slowed down that marathon day. I have nothing to hide and no they can't search me. Rights are worthless unless you exercize them. That is just me. That is also why I have a permit to carry a concealed weapon, because I can.

Even if they knew you were Geocachers, they are still going to roll up on you hard when they think they have some copper stealers. Until they figure out you are not committing any crimes, they are going to assume you are breaking the law and they are going to treat you as such. That is just the way the business is.

My business partners own a recycling center and the stolen wire recycling thing is huge. The Kern County Sheriff is always trying to run a sting on them and catch them buying stolen wire. It is quite interesting to see how regulated the recycling industry is.

Oh how sweet that would have been to have those Manteca muggers (that's muggles that actually rob you) meet our hero, elrojo14. But no, they had to roll new-bee cachers instead.

"You want all my what? You must mean THIS!" [it must be nice to have a permit to pack!] :unsure:

Wow, there were some people robbing cachers? I am not surprised. So if anyone ever says, "Why do you need a gun to cache?" There you go! Honestly, caching takes me into some pretty shady spots both urban and rurual. And you can't expect the cops to show up to help you in time...unless they think you are stripping wire! :ph34r:

Yes, mugger muggles quite possibly might get more than they bargain for if they come down Kern County ways. I am not the only packing cacher by any means.

Edited by elrojo14

Not yet...still working on it. Didn't log any last night and won't log any tonight. Will try to finish it up tomorrow or at least by the weekend.

Nascar Fam...I agree, no problem showing them. If they are being nice why not. No harm no foul. Thanks again for such a wonderful and fun time caching! I hope I didn't annoy you too much with my cheerleading & dancing. I was just trying to keep the momentum going.

[snip... I call it exercising my rights ....snip

I are confused. Which right did I fail to exercise? Please elucidate.

bill-of-rights.jpg

The Bill of Rights prohibits unreasonable search and seizure. It could be viewed that the officers never obtained probable cause required to search you (or your vehicle) and that's likely why they asked you (to give up your rights) if they could do a search. The reason they wanted to look wasn't because they were being your friend... it was one last chance to catch you in a lie and then bust you for what they still thought you could be doing. In other words, they didn't fully accept your story so they asked you to give up your rights - and you did. - I likely would have too. (I'm not sure Jeffrey Dahmer would have let them look but not because of wire in his ice chest). :cry:

----- Back to Geocaching Topics.... ------

Is anyone else working on the Fizzy Challenge? All you need to do is find at least one cache in every combination of cache ratings and the caches you've already found count too. For more information, look at GC11E8N

In that area I believe it can be done. I know if we stayed in about Porterville we could have grabbed a bunch more. Our mistake was Visalia. Especially if he was by himself. We had one car so that made things quick. If you have more than that I can see it slowing things down hence one person is faster than 2.

Yes, a one time thing. However, now I have this feeling inside that I may want to try it again. I have been trying to locate another area like that one. I know...I know.... :cry:

The Bill of Rights prohibits unreasonable search and seizure. It could be viewed that the officers never obtained probable cause required to search you (or your vehicle) and that's likely why they asked you (to give up your rights) if they could do a search. The reason they wanted to look wasn't because they were being your friend... it was one last chance to catch you in a lie and then bust you for what they still thought you could be doing. In other words, they didn't fully accept your story so they asked you to give up your rights - and you did. - I likely would have too. (I'm not sure Jeffrey Dahmer would have let them look but not because of wire in his ice chest). :cry:

Actually Carroll v. United States (1925) led to what is generally referred to as the motor vehicle exception. An officer is allowed to search a motor vehicle without a warrant provided that they have probable cause to believe that evidence or contraband is in the vehicle.

Given that we were running around with flashlights poking around electrical poles and equipment in empty fields I'd say that the cops had probable cause to assume we could be metal thieves making the rounds.

harrison_ford_fugitive.jpg

The Bill of Rights prohibits unreasonable search and seizure. It could be viewed that the officers never obtained probable cause required to search you (or your vehicle) and that's likely why they asked you (to give up your rights) if they could do a search. The reason they wanted to look wasn't because they were being your friend... it was one last chance to catch you in a lie and then bust you for what they still thought you could be doing. In other words, they didn't fully accept your story so they asked you to give up your rights - and you did. - I likely would have too. (I'm not sure Jeffrey Dahmer would have let them look but not because of wire in his ice chest). ;)

Actually Carroll v. United States (1925) led to what is generally referred to as the motor vehicle exception. An officer is allowed to search a motor vehicle without a warrant provided that they have probable cause to believe that evidence or contraband is in the vehicle.

Given that we were running around with flashlights poking around electrical poles and equipment in empty fields I'd say that the cops had probable cause to assume we could be metal thieves making the rounds.

harrison_ford_fugitive.jpg

bingo :cry:

I think the guy that got the 191 was the same guy that placed some of these caches. And was also a old paper boy. where he never left the car and just slung out the caches out the window and there they lie. As anyone that has done this run can tell you that is what it looks like with some of these hides.

LOL...no kidding Nascar Fam! However, think about it...we were just 4 people in one car and if only we stayed in that area we could've grabbed a bunch more. I can now see how 155 caches is feasible. He was just by himself. No one to worry about or hurry up, etc... I think I can see that.

Nascar Fam...look for another location so we can go do another run. :cry:

Green Achers...I will have The Hubby email that file to you.

YOu know though by yourself caching can be darngerous for one naviagating can take more time. cause you would have to be looking at the gps and driving at same time. so you are likly to pass by them before you realize it and have to turn around. OH Wait what was our excuse. By the way, Anyone else notice the Warhorse's 7th cache was found?

Edited by Nascar Fam

I think the guy that got the 191 was the same guy that placed some of these caches. And was also a old paper boy. where he never left the car and just slung out the caches out the window and there they lie. As anyone that has done this run can tell you that is what it looks like with some of these hides.

If he just slug them out the windows, how did he get cords for the cache locations? And how close where the cords to start with?

If they have probable cause, they will search anyway. They don't need probable cause when you consent to a search as you just gave it to them.

Again, no big deal either way, you weren't doing anything wrong and you got to keep caching. I am just commenting that I wouldn't consent to a search, even if it means I lose some of my convenience. Because I have nothing to hide, I won't consent to a search just out of principle. I want to exercise my rights and utilize my liberty. Rights are useless if we don't use them.

I am a gun dealing history teacher, so what do you expect? ;)

Back to the topic. You know what would be cool? We should organize a day and challenge all of California to a cache off. Pick a date and say on this date we are going to see how many caches we can get. Let people organize teams and register (simply go to the thread and say we are in and these are our team members) that they are participating on that date. Most caches win.

We don't need prizes or anything else. Just for the fun of it and bragging rights. Give everyone a month or so to plan out their routes and do it.

You would need a few basic ground rules.

The Rules

1. The race begins at midnight 8/29/08 and ends at Midnight 8/30/08.

2. DNFs obviously do not count but should be recorded for tie breakers.

3. A team of multiple cachers will use the cache count of the highest cacher in the group. In other words if you only found 180 new caches, but another member of your team found 185 because 5 of the caches you already had, your team's count is 185.

4. All cache types count.

5. California caches only.

6. All logs must be completed and confirmed within 48 hours.

Now I just made those up and you might agree or disagree with some. So critique me and let’s set something up. I like regional competitions and I will set up at least one Kern County team!

Edited by elrojo14

So the tie would go to the biggest - person that claims they did something that could never be proven!? How about the number of finds the previous day (and if neither found caches that day, go back two days and so forth) so you'd be able to split a tie.

Anyway, interesting idea but count me out. I think the most caches I've ever found in any 24 hour window was 39 caches (on 5/21/05). I know the pain that involved so I can't imagine how you guys are racking in 100+ caches (while letting the police log a DNF to boot). [Do you think the officers misunderstood the word 'copper' and were actually looking for police in your car?] ;)

I have enough trouble keeping up with The Hubby on finds. I do not want to take the enjoyment out of cacheing and it is not all about the numbers. What am I talking about. I like the numbers but I like to rememeber my caches.

So, if you did the challenge but The Hubby was too busy that day... wouldn't that help you keep up with him?? You're gonna have to step it up a little Greg! Think about it. :):unsure:

I agree with Nascar Fam...I like to remember them as well. I can literally take you to all the caches I have ever found.

I am intrigued by the Turkey Day run. Oh...Hmmm...Oh...Hummm...not too sure. :unsure: A bit far for a short weekend.

I got to thinking (I know, that's dangerous!) but I'd bet we could put together a dynamite route for a mega run in the Sacramento area. And, if there was a way we could get bikes up there, that would be even better. Hmmm. :)

Just posted this on the other site, but thought I would put it here for those not there......tsk tsk tsk

For the Smores event

I have a polygon filter for GSAK from Farmington on Hwy 4 to past Ebbetts Pass on Hwy 4 including Spicer Res, Highlands and between Angels Camp and Murphys, using Hwy 4 or Murphy's Grade Road. This way you don't have to load all the caches from 108 or 88 that we can't get to from 4.

the file is at http://ferventkids.org/downloads/hwy4 to Alpine.kml

have as many caches as you want for the mountians and foothills, (I have 2200 for the mountain area) in GSAK then add this filter, much nicer than trying the route pocket query.

Thank you all that came out to this picnic in Riverbank. It was alot of fun. We will have to do it agian soon. Nice to meet some new people and had a great time. Glad to see the Deranga's back. OK Now where is tag? now that I am takin off the list of can not find.

Ahem. Part of your sentence was to cease and desist talking about CVC Tag on the Forums. Short memory? :sad:

Today was an awesome day at the park. It was nice to meet everyone.

While chatting with Wolf Grrl about quadrant contests. The grid square maps I found where not the right ones to create a garmin map. The amatuer radio grids are a lot bigger than what delorme challenge uses. If any has an the images for california for the delorme challange I will try to get them converted to a gps map.

I found the instructions for making the gps map at

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

I'd like to echo everyone's sentiments as well! I was thrilled to meet you all, and also scribble down the names of some of the cache's you guys find so memorable. I can't wait to check 'em out.

Sorry we couldn't stay longer, but I was not having a good "back" day at all, was really stiffening up sitting still and I still had "chores" that needed doing before this morning haha!

I can't wait to see you guys again! :sad:

Trysha

Hello, I was a ftf for a cache up by spicer reservoir last week. However to log the find I need to find some type of cache that was created in 2000. Does anyone know of something in the area I can use to make the log?

The cache is Aught to Eight Challenge cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8d-72b14728807f

Getting ready to post my note on this cache. Can't help you yet on ideas for 2000 because the one and only that I have found in 2000 was the "Un-original Stash" in Oregon.

May have to do a search of the forums or see if there is some other way to search for old caches. I did do a quick search of one of my GSAK databases that includes 1300 caches (call me king of overkill) including the nearest 500 caches from Lake Alpine, Sonora, and my home. The oldest one out of these was 5/2001.