Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

Question all...I am heading out on a 4x4 trip this weekend to the Niagra Rim and was wondering if there are any "must-do" caches up that way? (It's past Pinecrest, heading towards Dardanelle).

As always, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Yes! 4,000 years old is a great cache if you like driving back roads and finding a surprise at the end. We just did it a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Plan at least 2 hours from the time you leave hwy 108. You even get to drive through 3 creeks on your way!

i5A29858D-E156-48DC-B44A-71B6EB1286BC.jpg

Tim did August 16th work for you or for Team Pilot?

Hay Greg and Kim, am I invited to this caching trip to? And it not Quantity, it Quality

Of course you are! I wouldn't have it any other way!!!

Oooops, that was Wolf Grrl accidently posting with my account (again).

Edited by The Hubby

Tom, how many hours were you guys out? <text snipped>

We left Merced at 03:15.

Found our first cache "Twinkie Outlet" at 04:44 (Near Tulare)

Found our last cache "Goshen Ocean Acorn" at 19:15 (S of Goshen at 99) Total time caching 14.5 hours

We got home to Merced at 20:40. Total time out 17 Hours 25 minutes.

Thank you! That's what I was looking for...Will try to get to that one this weekend.

Question all...I am heading out on a 4x4 trip this weekend to the Niagra Rim and was wondering if there are any "must-do" caches up that way? (It's past Pinecrest, heading towards Dardanelle).

As always, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Yes! 4,000 years old is a great cache if you like driving back roads and finding a surprise at the end. We just did it a couple of weeks ago and loved it. Plan at least 2 hours from the time you leave hwy 108. You even get to drive through 3 creeks on your way!

i5A29858D-E156-48DC-B44A-71B6EB1286BC.jpg

I'm impressed Tom...Long day though...Not sure I have the stamina for a day such as that. Very cool.

Tom, how many hours were you guys out? <text snipped>

We left Merced at 03:15.

Found our first cache "Twinkie Outlet" at 04:44 (Near Tulare)

Found our last cache "Goshen Ocean Acorn" at 19:15 (S of Goshen at 99) Total time caching 14.5 hours

We got home to Merced at 20:40. Total time out 17 Hours 25 minutes.

Hey Team Pilot, you may all have grabbed 134 caches but Blindbutnowisee and myself grabbed 3 FTF's in Alpine County above 8,000 elevation! You also didn't have the scenery we did today! Oh yeah, I even grabbed a BOGA cache...BONUS! Extra special BONUS...deer, cattle drive, hawk, chipmunk, countless lizards playing, and a beaver! :D We earned every FTF and every cache we found today.

YOU GOT ME. I am already planning a 2-day camping/caching trip up that way sometime in mid-Sep or early October. That sounds like a GREAT area. :D:lol::D

Ok, ok...a girl has a little fun and ya'll just won't let her live it down. Good thing my caching buddies are not my drinking buddies. :lol:

Hey Team Pilot, you may all have grabbed 134 caches but Blindbutnowisee and myself grabbed 3 FTF's in Alpine County above 8,000 elevation! You also didn't have the scenery we did today! Oh yeah, I even grabbed a BOGA cache...BONUS! Extra special BONUS...deer, cattle drive, hawk, chipmunk, countless lizards playing, and a beaver! :D We earned every FTF and every cache we found today.

I am waiting for that big MEGA cache run!!

We did get 1 FTF on the run. A very nice tribute cache.

So you figure for us to do that run we are looking at almost 17 hours. cause we would have to add an hour each way. I am up for it if you all are. Let's plan for this on the 16th of August. We would probably have to leave at 2:15am. Also I am seriously looking into a website and forum like Bay area geocachers and the Sacramento's dinning club one. But for the Cental Valley. Anyone have any Ideas for a web name such as WWW.CVC_________.com?

Greg since I can't live down that toilet seat picture, maybe this one will stick with you.

c4e80a2c-a09a-454e-b3c6-1cf3cd4f63c6.jpg

That was his 300th find. Isn't that such a cute picture? (notice he's holding hands with the frog?)!! :lol:

And is the other hand holding an Oregon? No. That's one of those older GPSr's :D (I want to go to Oregon!) :D

OH no. Look at that New GPS. Touch Screen. Oh My wife would Divorce me.

Scratch that...My wife just informed me this morning that we have a wedding that day, so we will not be able to go that day. Seriously, you guys go and have a great time! We don't need to be there and we will do it another time.

As of this moment it looks all clear, so it's a go for us on that weekend. :lol:

Tim did August 16th work for you or for Team Pilot?

I own the URL cvcachers.com should you wish to use it...

So you figure for us to do that run we are looking at almost 17 hours. cause we would have to add an hour each way. I am up for it if you all are. Let's plan for this on the 16th of August. We would probably have to leave at 2:15am. Also I am seriously looking into a website and forum like Bay area geocachers and the Sacramento's dinning club one. But for the Cental Valley. Anyone have any Ideas for a web name such as WWW.CVC_________.com?

So you figure for us to do that run we are looking at almost 17 hours. cause we would have to add an hour each way.

Hmmm. Let's see. We were out 17 hours and 25 minutes. You want to add an hour each way and you come up with almost 17 hours. Hmmm, did BOGA teach you math? :lol::D

Hey! My math is just... ok. ;) I guess Tom's interested in yet another puzzle cache that involves math. :D

Actually, I've been looking at some hiking caches, like Burning Bush. May go in med-Sep or ealy October. What would you think of the weather at the bush (for tent camping) about then? Anyone familiar with campgrounds in that general area? ;):rolleyes:

Hey! My math is just... ok. ;) I guess Tom's interested in yet another puzzle cache that involves math. :D

Actually, I've been looking at some hiking caches, like Burning Bush. May go in med-Sep or ealy October. What would you think of the weather at the bush (for tent camping) about then? Anyone familiar with campgrounds in that general area? ;):rolleyes:

Well, here's a couple pictures of the Lake Alpine campgrounds taken this past Memorial Day weekend.

iFF33008B-7391-402C-99B7-9F560A9DBDEA.jpg

iBB9C23FB-B37D-465C-A20A-0EE5DF7F7D00.jpg

:D:D

Better go in January Tom. :rolleyes: But really, the camping near The Troll should be fine then. Just watch the storms that normally start at the end of October. Thanksgiving weekend is the opening day for skiing (as I recall) so watch the HWY 4 Road Report (Cal-Trans) and it the pass it closed for the winter... the snow did it.

Greg since I can't live down that toilet seat picture, maybe this one will stick with you.

c4e80a2c-a09a-454e-b3c6-1cf3cd4f63c6.jpg

That was his 300th find. Isn't that such a cute picture? (notice he's holding hands with the frog?)!! ;)

And is the other hand holding an Oregon? No. That's one of those older GPSr's ;) (I want to go to Oregon!) :rolleyes:

OK, He is holding hands with a frog, but what is that frog doing to the fire hydrant?!?!!?

Greg, impressive work on the mat and the picture! Very good. It had me laughing.

Tim, NO WAY are we doing the Mega Run without you!!! However it should be done in August sometime but not the first weekend.

So August has the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th...... As mentioned before the later waited the less daylight there is... THOUGH the cooler the day will be.

16th and 2nd are off limits...... (if I was reading correctly)

SO that leaves the 9th, 23rd, or the 30th

Edited by Camel680

Greg, impressive work on the mat and the picture! Very good. It had me laughing.

Tim, NO WAY are we doing the Mega Run without you!!! However it should be done in August sometime but not the first weekend.

So August has the 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th...... As mentioned before the later waited the less daylight there is... THOUGH the cooler the day will be.

Well The 23rd and the 30th I get off at 7am on those Saturday mornings. So those will not work for me. But maybe we can figure this out today at the Ice Cream social :huh::huh:

Well The 23rd and the 30th I get off at 7am on those Saturday mornings. So those will not work for me. But maybe we can figure this out today at the Ice Cream social :huh::huh:

we jsut won't be able to get Tim's input... I'll call him to see if he knows any other august dates that aren't goot. sounds like the 9th is the only date left....

It looks like the 9th may work for me. I will confirm on Monday.

Aslo, with reagards to caching with less daylight or caching in the heat, my vote is caching with less daylight. The darkness has never slowed us down and in somce cases, actually makes it easier. Just my two cents worth.

Hey everyone! I just wanted to thank every one who came to Super Grrl's eventt. It meant so much to her. She was actually pleasantly surprised. :unsure: She had such a good time. She appreciated the fact people took time out of their day to come to her event. She would tell you herself but she is out on Lake Berryessa right now skiing for the week. She will enjoy reading all the logs and forum when she returns. Thanks again! :ph34r:

So where are we at again on this Mega run? When? Who's all going? I'm up for less light too. I know The Hubby is as well. Heat just is BLAH! :ph34r:

CONGRATS to Nascar Fam for passing 400 yesterday!!!! :ph34r:

Wow, that's impressive...Should be a fun day.

It looks like the 9th may work for me. I will confirm on Monday.

While you guys are deciding when you should (could) go, be advised that a group from Fresno went yesterday on the same route. They finished their run with 151 finds. :unsure::ph34r:

Hey everyone! I just wanted to thank every one who came to Super Grrl's eventt. It meant so much to her. She was actually pleasantly surprised. :unsure: She had such a good time. She appreciated the fact people took time out of their day to come to her event. She would tell you herself but she is out on Lake Berryessa right now skiing for the week. She will enjoy reading all the logs and forum when she returns. Thanks again! :ph34r:

Now it's time to help MAC celebrate a REAL MILESTONE on August 2nd!!! Happy is 50?????? WOW ..... f64ccc97-5a7d-4008-a97c-ed21109b78d7.jpg

Edited by Photom

I may...I have a business partner located not too far from there and I may be there on a business trip.

WooHoo! Let me know, that would be fun! Will you be there long enough to grab a few caches? I am thinking I may try to bag a few states during the trip. :D

I'm sure we will grab a few, but doubtful that i will make a multi-state run.

I may...I have a business partner located not too far from there and I may be there on a business trip.

WooHoo! Let me know, that would be fun! Will you be there long enough to grab a few caches? I am thinking I may try to bag a few states during the trip. :D