Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

UPDATE to Super Grrl's Ice Cream Social:

Since a few might be bringing their dogs (which of course is perfectly acceptable!) there will be an ice cream treat dog specific just for our 4-legged caching buddies. We will also provide unlimited amounts of water to keep them hydrated. :D

Just keep them on a leash so no one gets in trouble by the animal police. :D

Edited by Wolf Grrl

:) CONGRATS is in order for blindbutnowisee. They just passed 900 cache finds over the holiday weekend!

Good job gang!

Any other milestones accomplished?

:( Why Thank You! And we did it at the Big Blue Lake! Had a great time celebrating the 4th of July way up there........ :D

Edited by blindbutnowisee

You bet there was!! Team Pilot (JPD43, HappyToBeFirst, 2 For the Road, and Photom) departed Merced on 7/5/08 at 03:15 AM and headed south.

We started caching near Porterville at 4:45 AM, then headed over to the Yokohl Valley.

At the end of the long day, we all had a personal best day ever with 134 finds! :):DB):(

You bet there was!! Team Pilot (JPD43, HappyToBeFirst, 2 For the Road, and Photom) departed Merced on 7/5/08 at 03:15 AM and headed south.

We started caching near Porterville at 4:45 AM, then headed over to the Yokohl Valley.

At the end of the long day, we all had a personal best day ever with 134 finds! :DB)B):(

[/quote

Wow, that is a personnel best!

Did you happen to carry along a Port A Potty in order to grab all those caches???? HE he he...... :)

At the end of the long day, we all had a personal best day ever with 134 finds! :(:)B):D

Dang...that's a bunch. Congratulations!

Can you explain how y'all did it?? Since I know you guys I don't doubt it but if you do the math (24 hours*60 minutes=1440 minutes in a day; 1440 minutes divided by 10 minutes per cache=144 finds in a day). How did you get 134 in what I'm assuming was less than a 24 hour effort??

I'm a simple man and these large numbers frighten and confuse me. 91gcavemanlawyer3.jpg

Can you explain how y'all did it?? Since I know you guys I don't doubt it but if you do the math (24 hours*60 minutes=1440 minutes in a day; 1440 minutes divided by 10 minutes per cache=144 finds in a day). How did you get 134 in what I'm assuming was less than a 24 hour effort??

a] Found a very saturated area. (Fresgo gave me a heads up on the Yokohl Valley.)

b] Eliminated all puzzles, multis, and virtuals.

c) Loaded the result on a mapping program (MapSend DirectRoute USA)

d) Stayed off off freeways and divided roads.

e) Using GSAK, numbered the caches in the order that looked best on the map.

f) Used the 5/7 minute rule. (Timer goes off after 5 minutes, team can elect to stay 2 more minutes max)

g) When the cache was found, I returned to car to set GPSr on next one.

h) Finders put STICKER LABELS on log if it would fit, or else signed logs.

(We normally do not use stickers but made an exception for this day.)

i) Stopped only for restroom breaks and used the same 5-minute rule!

j) Had meals (sandwiches, etc) from ice chests while moving along.

The average distance between caches was .7 miles, but half of them were under .44 miles to the next one.

We had hours that we found as high as 12 or 13, but averaged 9.6 per hour overall.

We actually lost nearly 45 minutes after finding 4 or 5 caches on a 4WD road (getting back out.)

I still have the gpx file and the order we did them in if anyone is interested.

From the planned route of 143 we found 134, DNF'd 8 and decided to skip 1. We got 1 FTF!

HappytobeFirst recorded the actual find time for each cache (I think she may have forgot a couple.)

:ph34r: WOW! CONGRATS Team Pilot! That is most impressive. I say that because we all know you actually did find all those together! We all know you wouldn't split up then join together at the end of the day to claim finds you weren't present for. Very impressive organization and finds! You smoked any number of finds I've found on any one day!!! Finds like that would have to be carefully planned out and executed.

GO TEAM PILOT!!! :P

At the end of the long day, we all had a personal best day ever with 134 finds! :sad::(:D:D

That's impressive. And you didn't think about having Nascar Fam driving?!? You could have picked up a few more caches AND he wouldn't have stepped up to the plate. :D

Speaking of stepping up to the plate... I've just found four puzzle caches, one really fun multi, and one cache like Tom likes to find (traditional). I guess I could have found a lot more caches but it was so fun getting the ones that few will brave. :) Now I need to take time to log them. :)

Speaking of stepping up to the plate... I've just found four puzzle caches, one really fun multi, and one cache like Tom likes to find (traditional). I guess I could have found a lot more caches but it was so fun getting the ones that few will brave. :) Now I need to take time to log them. :(

Wowzers!! Six in one week/day? Way to go. I LOVE puzzle caches and multi's but not on days we are number hunting.

If you like to get the ones that few will brave, try this one: Boga - Step up to the Plate! :):sad:

Edited by Photom

Sounds like a fun day Greg but I'm still not buying the numbers...Even if they were in good a shape as Carl Lewis, and the caches were exactly 528 feet apart, and they knew exactly where to find each cache, and all of the caches were within 15 to 20 feet of the car, and the car was never shut off, and they never buckled their seatbelts :) , and there were absolutly no muggles, and, and...Well, it seems almost impossible to achieve the numbers within a 24 hour period...Now, in all fairness, I have never cached in that area so I cannot speak from experience...WAIT!! I got it!! All of the caches were in lightposts!! :)

Yeah Tom, you better pass along that cache route as there are very few areas such as that in the caching world. :(

All kidding aside, that group of cachers are a very determined bunch so I am positive that the numbers are legit...I am also equally positive that it was a VERY long day!

Sounds like fun Greg...Count me in! :sad:

Ok sanruft, boga wolfgrrl hubby? This might sound like a challenge that we go out there and be beat them.

Greg, I am always up for a challenge. You put it together, or we can all meet up for a meal to plan our day Photom style and head out the next day. That would be so much fun!!! Ok ok...I wanna go NOW! Darn you, get me all reved up and who knows when it will happen!!!

Bill, good for you! I'm glad you got out and were able to grab a few. Now if only we can get you out to do a major caching run with us :(

Hey Mrs. BOGA...can Bill come out and play with us?! Please, pretty please!! :)

Sanruft, it is so nice to see you in the forums again. About darn time!!! :sad:

Yeah Tom, you better pass along that cache route as there are very few areas such as that in the caching world. :P

I'll bring a CD with the gpx file we used to the Saturday event. We did the route south to north, starting in Tulare, south to Porterville, then north through the Yokohl Valley.

f9ea47fe-db5c-4d69-a1aa-af8e8a2eedf8.jpg

WAIT!! I got it!! All of the caches were in lightposts!! :P

NO that is in Sacramento.... I think it was the BIT series....... I swear I did like 40 caches one day and about 30 of them were lamp skirts

Actually there was but one lightpost skirt on the trip. Lots of camoed pill bottles in various places though. And several ammo cans (which seem to be a dying breed in these parts.) :P

We all know you wouldn't split up then join together at the end of the day to claim finds you weren't present for.

hmmmm....... I heard of cachers doing this before!!

The only people they are lying to is themselves. Alot of those I will never catch up to nor do I care if I do. I am having enough trouble catching up to Judd. hopefully I will get a couple more to Make Supergrrl's event my 400th find.

Ok, ok...a girl has a little fun and ya'll just won't let her live it down. Good thing my caching buddies are not my drinking buddies. :P

Hey Team Pilot, you may all have grabbed 134 caches but Blindbutnowisee and myself grabbed 3 FTF's in Alpine County above 8,000 elevation! You also didn't have the scenery we did today! Oh yeah, I even grabbed a BOGA cache...BONUS! Extra special BONUS...deer, cattle drive, hawk, chipmunk, countless lizards playing, and a beaver! :P We earned every FTF and every cache we found today.

I am waiting for that big MEGA cache run!!

I'm not sure what date you have in mind for this mega-caching day Greg...My weekends are filling-up rapidly so if you want me to come along, we need to plan something vey quickly. :P

Tom, how many hours were you guys out? I know what time you left but I don't think you mentioned what time you returned...I noticed Doug is being awfully quiet on the subject - Could it be that he is still recovering?? (Bladder issues from holding it in Doug??) :P

:P LMBO!

I agree Tim...our weekends are filling up fast as well! So we need to jump on this fast! How about tonight? J/K. I'm so amped up I want to cache but safety first, no fun. I can't go at night by myself. So I'm stuck cruisin the forums watching the boob tube. :P

Good point, where is Mr. Doug? Hello...Doug are you there?

ICE CREAM UPDATE!!

The official Weather Guessers are saying that it's going to cool off to a chilly 99 degrees for Super Grrl's ice cream social on Saturday. Break out the long john's and come on out...we're going to have a blast!

Oh yeah, "patchy smoke" as well... fu.jpg

Hey Greg, the 26th won't work. That is Skyler's Birthday Party (a slumber spa party)...LUCKY US! I have to be there to oversee all girlie girl activities. You, Tim, and Judd can go without me if you'd like.

FYI - we would have to get an earlier start than 7:00 a.m. :anitongue: We should just throw some dates out and decide from that and make sure we can leave at an ungodly hour (3:00 a.m.). :laughing: Then make sure it is a date where we have nothing planned the next day including work so we can sleep in.

We have to do this right. Departure time, cache find time, breakfast, lunch, munchies, drinks, and dinner all in a cooler, coffee for those that drink it and soda with caffeine for those of us who don't drink coffee, lots of waters to stay hydrated, preprinted labels, mapped out, cache dense area, no left turns, etc... It is going to take some serious planning.

Breakfast: rolls (or if someone knows how to make a really good breakfast burrito)

Lunch: sandwiches

Dinner: Cold fried chicken, potato salad

Munchies: chips, pretzels, whatever else

Ok, I planned the menu (the easy part). What area? In August: 9th/10th or 16th/17th or 23rd/24th? Not the 30th that will be Labor Day weekend and traffic would be a nightmare! In September: 20th/21st possibly. In October: pretty much any time except for the 11th. I'm thinking that is when Judd should have his Boo Bash. Or even the 18th or 25th...check with Judd.

So heads up CVC/MAC Boo Bash event some Saturday in October. That event will be the best yet! Poker run, letterbox for kids, bobbing for apples for the kids, kids trick-or-treat amongst the geocachers so yes have them wear their costumes, etc... We are hoping to reserve the large gazebo area at Jacob Myers Park. It will be SPOOKTACULAR! :anicute:

Another note on SUPER GRRL'S Ice Cream Social:

We are going to do our best to keep every one cool. We may even have a little pool for the 4-legged caching friends to wade in. We're trying to find a portable mister so that can keep people cool. If we absolutely have to it can be moved into our home (yes dogs can too). I'd rather have that than have people suffer from heat stroke/exhaustion, etc...

Here you go girls, something you can really use on your 134-caches-in-one-day caching days! :anitongue:

http://www.traveljohn.com/1-1-1.php

That is a great point! If you elect to take the route we used, there is a period of at least 6-7 hours where there is NO PLACE for a "real" break. One of our party was a real trooper but finally had to give in and use the "outdoors." This was a first for ..... Here is a good reference book: No kids please!

You mentioned leaving at 3:00 am. It will need to be sooner if you are going where we did, since your drive would be an hour longer. We left a 3:15 which was perfect. Don't forget to check the sunrise/sunset tables for civil twilight in the area of your first cache. As you know, the longer you wait, the shorter the days will be.

I will be glad to help you plan a route when you select your final area. (If it is not in the Yokohl Valley, Team Pilot may consider tagging along in a caravan...)

I'm sure that it won't matter if we wait for later in the year Tom...Much like you guys, we will start before the sun rises and end long after it sets.

I think it would be great to have you guys along, but there are very, very few areas where you can achieve those types of numbers within a 24 hour period. (At least without cheating) :anitongue: So if you know of an area like it, that would be great do have a caravan going.

You mentioned leaving at 3:00 am. It will need to be sooner if you are going where we did, since your drive would be an hour longer. We left a 3:15 which was perfect. Don't forget to check the sunrise/sunset tables for civil twilight in the area of your first cache. As you know, the longer you wait, the shorter the days will be.

I will be glad to help you plan a route when you select your final area. (If it is not in the Yokohl Valley, Team Pilot may consider tagging along in a caravan...)

Question all...I am heading out on a 4x4 trip this weekend to the Niagra Rim and was wondering if there are any "must-do" caches up that way? (It's past Pinecrest, heading towards Dardanelle).

As always, your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!