Central Valley Cachers

Fattuhr

http://www.modbee.com/local/story/13820385p-14396463c.html

Have you done this cache in Waterford??? There are also some other newish ones in the area.

Don't know how to make this a nicer, cleaner link, sorry!

Yeah, that cache has been archived for a long time. Too bad too, as it was very cool. I met the owner of the cups and we chatted awhile...Super nice guy.

Definitely worth checking out if you haven't.

Edited by Sanruft

Anyone know how the Traffic will be leaving out of Manteca going to merced? Will I have traffic from the Bay Area commuters and a friday evening?

My experience is that the Bay Area Traffic settles down after passing Tracy. My guess is that they are heading towards the Sierra and not the Central Valley. So, it will be a bit heavier than normal but still moving right along. :lol:

Anyone know how the Traffic will be leaving out of Manteca going to merced? Will I have traffic from the Bay Area commuters and a friday evening?

My experience is that the Bay Area Traffic settles down after passing Tracy. My guess is that they are heading towards the Sierra and not the Central Valley. So, it will be a bit heavier than normal but still moving right along. :lol:

I'm taking Hwy 132 because $ATM$ can't go (don't need to stop at home) and Friday Nights are the heaviest traffic. If things get too backed up, I'm going to try some things I learned at the GBES Rally this year! :)

My experience is that the Bay Area Traffic settles down after passing Tracy. My guess is that they are heading towards the Sierra and not the Central Valley. So, it will be a bit heavier than normal but still moving right along. :)

I'm taking Hwy 132 because $ATM$ can't go (don't need to stop at home) and Friday Nights are the heaviest traffic. If things get too backed up, I'm going to try some things I learned at the GBES Rally this year! :o

What kind of things? Falling in to a sage brush or digging out splinters with a Bowie Knife? :)

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did last nite. thanks for putting on such a great event. If any of you ever get a chance. You need to find "the embankment" in merced. happy caching. Greg

Ahh. So BOGA has found a new way to find caches, huh? Take along someone who can see and has geosense! Awesome Bill! :D

But I digress... yes, the event was a super Radikel extravaganza. Wow! :o;)

I hope everyone had as much fun as I did last nite. thanks for putting on such a great event. If any of you ever get a chance. You need to find "the embankment" in merced. happy caching. Greg

Ahh. So BOGA has found a new way to find caches, huh? Take along someone who can see and has geosense! Awesome Bill! :D

But I digress... yes, the event was a super Radikel extravaganza. Wow! ;):)

Yep. That's why I so rarely cache anymore... blind as a bat... but at least I knew who to call when my side kick let me down. :o Always have a back up plan I say. :)

Great job on the gathering Radikel.

I just wanted to thank all the wonderful geocachers who attended "Extra Cheese, Please!" on Friday :( . It was a pleasure to see you all. I am always glad to meet cachers, new and veteran. There are many new names on the logs lately and I hope you newbies were able to get some information from the old-timers. The cachers who have been around a while, well it was nice to meet those of you whose caches I have enjoyed finding over the years. Then there were you cachers who are the "regulars" at these events and I can't say enough about you guys. Thank you all for making geocaching the great hobby we all love :lol:.

I just wanted to thank all the wonderful geocachers who attended "Extra Cheese, Please!" on Friday :( . It was a pleasure to see you all. I am always glad to meet cachers, new and veteran. There are many new names on the logs lately and I hope you newbies were able to get some information from the old-timers. The cachers who have been around a while, well it was nice to meet those of you whose caches I have enjoyed finding over the years. Then there were you cachers who are the "regulars" at these events and I can't say enough about you guys. Thank you all for making geocaching the great hobby we all love :lol:.

At the gathering the other night, (which by the way was really good! Thanks Karen and everyone who showed up), I heard the news that TRAKD had been bitten by a rattle snake while caching. Since I am one of his sponsors for a cache in our area, I was concerned and wrote to him to see how he was doing and get the "real" story, before any rumors got started. Here is his replay copied verbatim from his email reply to me:

Howdy,

I am doing better and submitted my entire ordeal on the RCGDS/NUTS websites respectively. I know that the story has floated around but I will attach it here for you as well. If you have a post that you wish to send it up to please feel free. I think it is a good story for all to read about and of course comes STRAIGHT from ME.

A Geocachers Adventure (not for the faint of heart… you have been warned) by TRAKD

Howdy,

Before my story begins I first want to thank everyone for the overwhelming outpouring of love and support. It is difficult to put into words the waves of feelings I have had over the past week and a half but I will try. A week ago Sunday my partner in crime Salmon Falls Widow (and now honest to goodness hero) and I had decided to take a six or so mile hike along Folsom Lake to snap up some caches that have been nagging us for months. We only had a few hours and it was a wonderful morning. Early on into the hike we passed one of our slithery friends with fangs along the trail but it paid us no attention other than turning its head and moving on, so we did the same. It had been a few weeks since our last encounter (about 15 in all this summer alone) with one of our friends of nature so it was a good “reminder” to be vigilant and aware of our surroundings. Anyway, fast forward to the last cache of the day. I dropped SFW off at the trail head and parked the Green Machine. The GPSr said the cache was only 390 feet up the hill and I met her ¾ up with only 100 feet to go. She chose to continue along the trail and I chose to chase the arrow and booneycrash to the treasure. Of course I got to the wonderful view and spot first. Once there I did as all cachers (should) do before searching for anything and made my presence known. I checked over the area looking low and then high and back to low again as I methodically searched where digits told me the prize was hiding. Then… Yep… you got it… BINGO! The prize was spotted. I remember reading something about a moldy log so when I opened the container knew what I was in for. The log was a bit damp and swollen inside and I pulled out my trusty extraction device. As I extracted the log it slipped and proceeded to drop between my feet. I looked down and around as I closed up my extraction device unaware that the next second and a half of my life would be so life altering.

I was a couple of three feet away from the tree as I reached down with one hand to gather the log when something shot out of the tree (about 1 ½ feet high up) like a cannon with no warning. In slow motion I recognized my hazard instantaneously and my reflexes were already kicking in moving my hand back and away… unfortunately, I am no longer that shortstop in college and my reflexes are not those of a 20 year old. This could have been a blessing or a curse and I will never know but the rattlesnake hit my hand between the thumb and forefinger in mid-air as I was reflexing my arm back. The snake sank in but did not get to clamp as the inertia of my arm swinging back flung the snake. I heard and watched in slow motion as it thwaped up against a tree behind me. I yelled a few obscenities as time resumed its normal pace… or did it? Thankfully (to be discussed later) my partner was still a hundred feet down the trail and we instantly headed back to the Green Machine. I booneycrashed straight down the hill with my survival senses kicking in knowing I was already in deep doo-doo.

See, we had been hiking six or so miles today and I am sure I was a bit dehydrated. The cache was at the top of the hill and my heart rate was already up and running when all of this happened. Plus when the snake hit my hand I saw blood spurt a couple of three times after it was flung aside. Yeah, it was an arterial stick. As my veterinarian wife would say if it were a dog or cat it would have been dead within five minutes unless treated. My own medical training and knowledge of the area knew what I needed to do.

Story note: I initially thought the snake was between 18 inches and two feet long but when I made the distance with my hands to friends and family they were quick to point out my male shortfalls in sizes. Turns out it was closer to 2 ½ to 3 feet long.

Back to booneycrashing. I lowered my arm (A KEY THING TO DO) and applied pressure above acting as a clamp to slow the venom already in my bloodstream but the systematic pulsing of the vile fluid was already being felt. I started up the Green Machine and turned the A/C all the way up and waited for my partner. She was deeply concerned and scared to drive my beast but since I was unable to do so she stepped up to the plate. I tried my best to stay calm and reassured her of my status that I would be just fine. She drove as fast as she safely could down the road with unsuspecting cars in our way. All along I tried 911 but got either no signal or “all lines are being used” notice. We stopped briefly at the Parks Kiosk but the lackadaisical actions of the attendants I knew we really only had two choices and that was to get to either a hospital or fire station. Once again knowing the area I knew that Mercy of Folsom was the BEST snake bite hospital in the area due to my past as an EMT.

You can judge my decisions to wait and get medical treatment or get to the hospital as fast as we possibly could… that is fine but it was my life on the line and I knew seconds counted here. I did the math in my head on times and knew we could make the hospital in 20 minutes or so driving safely. If we waited I would get some basic medical treatment maybe in 10 to 15 with no guarantees. I continued with 911 hopping that they would answer and we could meet an ambulance somewhere along the way… unfortunately that never happened. As the wild ride continued I reassured my hero noting details of the incident (size, times, etc) to her in case I passed out because in reality I was feeling my body systematically coming under the influence of the poison. My right hand initially felt the effects and within minutes both legs, other arm, and face were already going numb. But, I continued to reassure that I was alright… just run that last light. We pulled into the loading bay of the Mercy Folsom ER at T-plus 21 minutes (when I started the car I noted the exact time and checked again as I opened the door). Two nurses were going off break and heading in as I cried for help and promptly fell flat on my face after only a couple of steps with my body cramping from the bite. Shelly raced around the Green Machine and helped me up as a gurney was brought out. She helped me onto the gurney and the wild ride continued. I entered a small room with two or three nurses and doctors. Each one fired the exact same questions at me as I mumble answers. My lips had gone numb and speech was difficult but I was getting through. As the next hour or so went on I overhear the ER staff say I should be back up and running in a day or so once the anti-venom or crowfab was on board. How some things give you hope and push you that extra mile.

Familiar faces began to pour in with my wife Debbie showing up and best friend Brave Sir Robin as well. At one point in this ordeal with all of my family, friends, and medical professionals around I had to let loose. I had been questioned, re- questioned, poked, and prodded… I just could not take anymore. So after one more siphon of blood was drawn I popped off… “You know you doctors have stuck me more times than that #$%&@ snake did”. This seemed to lighten the tension in the air as a hearty laugh was collectively expelled. I know that if you can not laugh at adversity and challenges then half the battle is already lost. For the next trying hours and days I have many many stories of both laughter and sorrow. But, in the end I made out of ICU after 7 days and got to see my precious boys. This story ends happily. My arm still feels the effects of the bite as I type these words but I know that too will pass. I have been questioned about my ordeal and if I would cache again. Not only yes, but… HELL YES! My “Cache-Du-Jour” streak is over and as the boys have grown it was about to anyway because they are into swimming and laser-tag and there seems to not be enough hours in the day for it all. But, Geocaching is a fun outdoor activity and I am not going to let a snake bite push me back to the couch and what is the next season of drivel on TV.

I have never tried to preach… oh, I have my opinions but try to keep them to myself. However, I am going to step up on a soap box here. Please do not take this story as one of tragedy… take it for what it is worth… hopefully a compelling glimpse of time that I went through. I initially did not want to tell half assed bits and pieces because people will snap to judgment and take action without thinking. In my humble assessment with my rattlesnake encounter, it was a one in a million shot. It was the exception and not the RULE! Please, please, please should not frighten ANY ONE away from caching. Only make us ALL more vigilant and aware of our surroundings. As a cacher it is our responsibility to remember that we are in THEIR territory. Be mindful and respectful to this and hopefully you will never encounter the freak accident I did. To this day I believe I was aware of my surroundings. I did not see the snake because of how it was hidden and it never made its presence known until it uncoiled and leapt like a rocket. Will I be more cautious… of course. Was I cautious enough in this instant? In my humble opinion I think so.

Thank you all for being patient with me those who helped as messengers both suspecting and unsuspecting and respected my privacy over the past week or so. I also have a bit more peace to say before I wrap up with the serious stuff. First to Shelly. If it was not for you… From my understanding with what the doctors and nurses have now told me I would probably not be able to type these words today. Through great fear on your part you arose to the occasion and hauled my sorry a** to the ER without hesitation. Then both you and Mike sat vigil at my doorstep as I went through the pain and recovery of this ordeal. Once again for this I can never begin to repay either of you but you both will always have my deepest gratitude. To everyone else who stopped by once I was out of the woods and has sent emails, cards, well wishes and the like words fail me. In all my life I never thought that I would have touched so many who cared so much about me and my family. The words of concern and latitude have just overwhelmed me. Thank you.

Ok, now the serious stuff is over (and I will never forget)… Bring on the ribbing… I know, I deserve every bit of it. As I said before if you can not laugh at diversity and challenge then half the battle is lost. I am an easy target now…

Cheers

Trevor from TRAKD

At the gathering the other night, (which by the way was really good! Thanks Karen and everyone who showed up), I heard the news that TRAKD had been bitten by a rattle snake while caching.

For those that may go caching in the Folsom area, this is the cache where TRAKD had his mishap:

Senior Friendly? Not that the actual cache matters that much in that area. Use extreme caution everywhere in that area.

ea7ee6b3-f9cb-41c0-b745-87f5d3691e2b.jpg

At the gathering the other night, (which by the way was really good! Thanks Karen and everyone who showed up), I heard the news that TRAKD had been bitten by a rattle snake while caching.

For those that may go caching in the Folsom area, this is the cache where TRAKD had his mishap:

Senior Friendly? Not that the actual cache matters that much in that area. Use extreme caution everywhere in that area.

ea7ee6b3-f9cb-41c0-b745-87f5d3691e2b.jpg

Not just that area... I've crossed more rattlers this year than any other. Livermore hills (Sycamore Grove Regional Park) was were I dealt with a rattler guarding a cache but I've passed others one trails and seen them dead on roads.

Rattle Snakes, Poison Oak, Stinging Nettle, Black Widow Spiders and in certain area's Scorpions are part of California and cachers should learn about them to increase knowledge and minimize exposure. As it's been pointed out, this is not something to worry about, rather just be aware while having fun.

Thanks Doug for sharing this story. (I was given a heads up and asked to post a warning but I think you did a much better job than I would have.

Get better soon TRAKD!

I am so glad you are ok. You definitely are braver than I would be. I have a HUGE fear of snakes. I'd like to think no one would judge you on how you handled your situation. I will never do that. We're all different and how we handle things individually will be different and that is ok. I'm am so glad you made it. I truly hope you continue to recover fully.

Take care,

Wolf Grrl aka Kim

We are looking for some help/info?? we are looking into starting a geo coin collection and want to know wheres the best place to buy from or is there one? Also do any of local or close by cachers have coins for sale? any feed back would be great....thank you! <_<

Hi there,

I'm looking to sell all my geo coins except for the personal coins. I just don't have a great interest in them any longer. If you would like to know the ones I have let me know and I can email you a list.

Take care,

Kim aka Wolf Grrl

Hi All. I am down here in San Diego. I put in all my Waypoints For San Diego manuall. Due to that I do not have a computer with my conector herel I just have my Treo. When look the Waypoints up by nearest I get nothing. When I go and look them up by name they are all there. I have a Garmin Vista. Anyone have a clue on why this is? happy Caching

Edited by Nascar Fam

Hi All. I am down here in San Diego. I put in all my Waypoints For San Diego manuall. Due to that I do not have a computer with my conector herel I just have my Treo. When look the Waypoints up by nearest I get nothing. When I go and look them up by name they are all there. I have a Garmin Vista. Anyone have a clue on why this is? happy Caching

Nascar: Have you left your gps on long enough for it to know where you are? It'll take it a while to realize you are no longer in Merced.

that is what was wrong... thank you

I allways reset my gpsr after moving a long ways after the last time I used it, or the last time I was on an air plane I just left the darn thing on and thats FUN to watch.... <_<

I've done that on several long/boring flights. It's like having a personal tour guide plus you always know your eta. However, some of the flights make you turn it off so it doesn't interfer with the airplanes electronics. (Like that could ever happen. Ignorance prevails!)

Seems like we have a rather bad muggle problem in the Merced-Atwater area. JPD's "Outrageous Fortunes!" not only disappeared, but also the whole structure to which it was (is?) attached. Could this be an innocent muggling or is it be a personal issue related to the problems he has in the Millerton Lake area? :rolleyes:

aea5b89e-309c-4255-8bc4-c85280af4b46.jpg

Seems like we have a rather bad muggle problem in the Merced-Atwater area. JPD's "Outrageous Fortunes!" not only disappeared, but also the whole structure to which it was (is?) attached. Could this be an innocent muggling or is it be a personal issue related to the problems he has in the Millerton Lake area?

But there is also GOOD NEWS on the muggle front! My "Famous Misquotes" was stolen some days back. But today, lo and behold, I got an "e-confession" from a fellow cacher. So, I will get my great container back sometime soon. Hip, hip horray! :rolleyes::lol:

ALERT ALERT

For those of you (if any) who may want to plan a congratulations to BOGA cache for his milestone of 1,000 caches, it's time to start thinking about it!

He now has 992 finds, so - at his current find rate he will hit 1,000 sometime next February! :rolleyes::lol:

Seems like we have a rather bad muggle problem in the Merced-Atwater area. JPD's "Outrageous Fortunes!" not only disappeared, but also the whole structure to which it was (is?) attached. Could this be an innocent muggling? :(

Ok, Radikel, you caught me. I confess; I took it. I wanted to make it into my namesake traveling cache. I was thinking of taking it to China first. (Like some cachers did with CVC Tag.) What do you think?

Seems like we have a rather bad muggle problem in the Merced-Atwater area. JPD's "Outrageous Fortunes!" not only disappeared, but also the whole structure to which it was (is?) attached. Could this be an innocent muggling? :(

Ok, Radikel, you caught me. I confess; I took it. I wanted to make it into my namesake traveling cache. I was thinking of taking it to China first. (Like some cachers did with CVC Tag.) What do you think?

I can think of no better cache to do something so, well....outrageous! :laughing:

Seems like we have a rather bad muggle problem in the Merced-Atwater area. JPD's "Outrageous Fortunes!" not only disappeared, but also the whole structure to which it was (is?) attached. Could this be an innocent muggling or is it be a personal issue related to the problems he has in the Millerton Lake area?

But there is also GOOD NEWS on the muggle front! My "Famous Misquotes" was stolen some days back. But today, lo and behold, I got an "e-confession" from a fellow cacher. So, I will get my great container back sometime soon. Hip, hip horray! :laughing::laughing:

Don't you just hate it when fellow cachers (people you think you should be able to trust!) get sticky fingered with your stuff???!!!?!?!?! :(

ALERT ALERT

For those of you (if any) who may want to plan a congratulations to BOGA cache for his milestone of 1,000 caches, it's time to start thinking about it!

He now has 992 finds, so - at his current find rate he will hit 1,000 sometime next February! :lol::lol:

Start the celibrations... I need to catch up on my logs but I'm there (several months early too). LOL

And the cache that I found for 1000... It was a puzzle cache... that I solved 4 years and 8 months ago... and since solving it, there have been 4 other logs filed (1 a DNF, 2 where Find Logs and then one Note).

Log to follow. (Drum roll)

Hey Central Valley folk... wanted to say hi and find out what the best ways to meet others in the area would be.. .might be nice to have some fellow cachers to go with once in a while. We went to a Bay Area Cache event last weekend and had a blast... what's going on here locally? Thanks!

Welcome Team Rainbow!

I can't tell how nice it is to have more members to the North. The Southerners have been running uncontested for long enough. LOL

The quickest way to meet people would be to either stir things up or attend the next gathering (I think two are being concidered currently)... or you could attend the next gathering AND stir things up. That's what I like to do!

No dates have been set yet. Stay tuned on this forum for that.

So, have you enoyed any paticular cache in CVC yet? There's some great adventures around here.

Hey Central Valley folk... wanted to say hi and find out what the best ways to meet others in the area would be.. .might be nice to have some fellow cachers to go with once in a while. We went to a Bay Area Cache event last weekend and had a blast... what's going on here locally? Thanks!

Welcome Team Rainbow!

I can't tell how nice it is to have more members to the North. The Southerners have been running uncontested for long enough. LOL

The quickest way to meet people would be to either stir things up or attend the next gathering (I think two are being concidered currently)... or you could attend the next gathering AND stir things up. That's what I like to do!

No dates have been set yet. Stay tuned on this forum for that.

So, have you enoyed any paticular cache in CVC yet? There's some great adventures around here.

Uncontested?!?!? Stir things up?!?!?! That had the sounds of a chalenge there Mr Bill! You like to do both do you? Buwhaaaaaaaaahahaha! Things may get more interesting now that a gauntlet has been tossed. Was it you that was responsible for Outrageous Fortunes coming up missing? If it was then I concede right now, as that was a master stroke, stealing the whole pool and not just the little 35 mm container.

...Was it you that was responsible for Outrageous Fortunes coming up missing? If it was then I concede right now, as that was a master stroke, stealing the whole pool and not just the little 35 mm container.

Light tractor work! LOL.

Actually, I had nothing to do with that (although stealing an entire pool was brillant) and I can prove it. I wasn't even in the area. Besides, OF and the Half Adults don't even like to cache anymore. I think the challanges where getting too hard.

BTW, what do you think about the puzzle in 'Schugobble' (GCA1E3), Doug? Doesn't it look easy?! It should be a good warm up to your new pass time since you're so quick to step up to the plate. LOL

Edited by Green Achers
...Was it you that was responsible for Outrageous Fortunes coming up missing? If it was then I concede right now, as that was a master stroke, stealing the whole pool and not just the little 35 mm container.

Light tractor work! LOL.

Actually, I had nothing to do with that (although stealing an entire pool was brillant) and I can prove it. I wasn't even in the area. Besides, OF and the Half Adults don't even like to cache anymore. I think the challanges where getting too hard.

BTW, what do you think about the puzzle in 'Schugobble' (GCA1E3), Doug? Doesn't it look easy?! It should be a good warm up to your new pass time since you're so quick to step up to the plate. LOL

I read this at 6:00PM on Sunday 8/12/2007 and emailed what I believe to be the answers at 6:20PM. Please me know if I got it right or not. :)

OF was in town yesterday and I thought maybe, just maybe she had brought it back after admitting to this forum that she had taken it, but when i drove by today on teh way home from Costco, it was still missing.

I read this at 6:00PM on Sunday 8/12/2007 and emailed what I believe to be the answers at 6:20PM. Please me know if I got it right or not. :)

Nice job. Now find it! ;);)

I'm still working my next puzzle so you have time to do a few more warm up puzzles. :D

Thanks Ara! I'm not sure the next 1k will be as fast but I'd sure like to beat that snails pace! ;)

Seems like we have a rather bad muggle problem in the Merced-Atwater area. JPD's "Outrageous Fortunes!" not only disappeared, but also the whole structure to which it was (is?) attached. Could this be an innocent muggling or is it be a personal issue related to the problems he has in the Millerton Lake area? ;)

Jpd,

Did you happen to see a new possible cache location on the other side of the freeway. ;)